Peaking Cycle - Hatfield vs. Sheiko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peaking Cycle - Hatfield vs. Sheiko

So I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and am about 8 weeks out from my meet. I'm thinking of switching over to a peaking cycle and have been going back and forth between Hatfield and the Sheiko 5-week plan.

Has anybody used both of these and have preference for one over the other?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Why don't you just do 5/3/1 for powerlifting. If 5/3/1 is working for you, why change it.

Comment

+1.

I lurk in your journal...you got strong as shit the last couple of months. It is your first meet.

Just continue doing what you have been doing and then you will have zero doubts come meet day.

Comment

I just feel like I should be focusing on a lower rep range - with 5/3/1 I'm always doing 7+ reps on my heaviest working sets at the prescribed percentages. I figured I might want to switch to a program that uses percentages closer to my 1RM.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
          I just feel like I should be focusing on a lower rep range - with 5/3/1 I'm always doing 7+ reps on my heaviest working sets at the prescribed percentages. I figured I might want to switch to a program that uses percentages closer to my 1RM.
          I think you should do the 5/3/1 and get the prescribed reps only then work up heavier singles, doubles, and triples. You do need to train your CNS to handle heavier weights. I'm starting to do static holds with 125% of my max. I know Mike Turscherer does that and he speaks for himself with his rediculous results
          For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Yeah you are doing the traditional 5/3/1

What you should be doing is 3/5/1 for powerlifters. Always just hit prescribed reps (up your training max up so the corresponding reps on your lifting days are close to a true RM).

Week 3
            Do your prescribed triple then take 1-3 singles at 95% of your training max

Week 5
            Just do prescribed reps...pseudo deload week.

Week 1
            Prescribe 1RM @ 95% then work up to a max single regardless of your training max.

Deload week optional/as needed if you are on 3 days/week.

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
              I think you should do the 5/3/1 and get the prescribed reps only then work up heavier singles, doubles, and triples. You do need to train your CNS to handle heavier weights. I'm starting to do static holds with 125% of my max. I know Mike Turscherer does that and he speaks for himself with his rediculous results
              Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
              Yeah you are doing the traditional 5/3/1

What you should be doing is 3/5/1 for powerlifters. Always just hit prescribed reps (up your training max up so the corresponding reps on your lifting days are close to a true RM).

Week 3
              Do your prescribed triple then take 1-3 singles at 95% of your training max

Week 5
              Just do prescribed reps...pseudo deload week.

Week 1
              Prescribe 1RM @ 95% then work up to a max single regardless of your training max.

Deload week optional/as needed if you are on 3 days/week.
              Thanks guys - I'll stick with 5/3/1 and make these modifications.

Comment

FYI - this is the other template I was considering:

http://www.joeskopec.com/Hatfield.xls

Comment

Thanks guys - I'll stick with 5/3/1 and make these modifications.
                  Go get the book and it will give you info on how to get ready for a meet also.

Comment

Hey guys, cheers from Russia)

All Sheiko plans has too much volume, IMO. They all about number of lifts (sorry.. dont know how said this term in english).
                    Back in time, when I did olympic weightlifting, I used to train with guys from powerlifting class, mostly juniors. So they used plans based on Sheiko, but with less sets and supplement lifts. Plans used by candidate masters of sport, not speaking about masters was very individual.
                    Actually, Sheiko himself now trains Kirill Sarychev (300+ kilos raw bench), but definitely his plans absolutely individual and i doubt they have something close to what you can see in internet.
                    So.. as a bottom line.. I personally do not recommend You to stick wit Sheiko, only if You can change his plans by yourself and personalise or change to fit your own goals and physique.

And.. sorry my English
                    Last edited by kottr; 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X