Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerlifting: Where should a Newb start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerlifting: Where should a Newb start?

Hi guys,

I was hoping I could get some advice. I've had a long layoff from lifting (you know how life can be a b sometimes) and I am itching to get back into shape. Obviously my strength has decreased significantly and I really want to get back to where I was before the absence and become more athletic.

To motivate myself and ensure I stay committed I set a goal to compete in a powerlifting competition in a year (placing is not of importance...the outcome I am focused on is to compete and get my feet wet). I've researched as much as possible on powerlifting routines and in all honesty it gets a bit overwhelming. Westside, metal militia, etc. I was wondering if you had any advice for a powerlifting newb. I was thinking about starting with the 5/3/1 boring but big.

Where do you live?

Best thing to do is finding a powerlifting gym/team near you and go there.

Depending on where you live this of course may or may not be an option. Let me know and I can prolly point you in the right direction

If you have to train alone, Wendlers 5/3/1 would work awesome and it takes all the thinking out of the process.
    "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

I did volume training for almost 10 years and just recently started 5/3/1 and love it. I don't do borin but big, I do alot of dips and chins. Anyways, I really like 531 and am seeing really good results. The book also has some pretty good motivational stuff in it that has struck home with me.

Comment

I think 5/3/1 with BBB is an excellent choice. That's what I was going to suggest when I first saw your thread title.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

As simple as 5/3/1 seems, I think there are better options for a real beginner. I'm not sure what your lifts are at, but personally, if you're a true beginner, I'd rather have you do something more 5x5-esque.

I think it's pretty silly to be following a program that has % recommendations when you can't squat 315 or bench 225.

Depending on your schedule, I'd plan on training 3-4x a week and just pick 3-4 compound movements each day focusing on form and linear progression (adding 5-15 pounds to every lift each week).

Also -- BBB is a decent option, but it's not called BORING but big for no reason... I don't know how you feel about that, but there's no reason, at this point, to limit yourself to something like that. Personally I'd rather get practice doing other major compound movements other than the big 3. You'll still make progress and it'll be less boring.

Just make sure you're doing most/all of the following exercises:

Bench (and related variations)
          Squat
          Deadlift (and related variations)
          Pull/chin-ups
          Military Press
          Dips
          Rows
          Cleans
          Snatches
          Hyperextensions

There's also room for things like bicep curls, tricep extensions, hamstring curls, calf work, abs, etc.

You might also want to check out this article: http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-never-change/
          True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

Originally posted by grit View Post
            As simple as 5/3/1 seems, I think there are better options for a real beginner. I'm not sure what your lifts are at, but personally, if you're a true beginner, I'd rather have you do something more 5x5-esque.

I think it's pretty silly to be following a program that has % recommendations when you can't squat 315 or bench 225.

Depending on your schedule, I'd plan on training 3-4x a week and just pick 3-4 compound movements each day focusing on form and linear progression (adding 5-15 pounds to every lift each week).

Also -- BBB is a decent option, but it's not called BORING but big for no reason... I don't know how you feel about that, but there's no reason, at this point, to limit yourself to something like that. Personally I'd rather get practice doing other major compound movements other than the big 3. You'll still make progress and it'll be less boring.

Just make sure you're doing most/all of the following exercises:

Bench (and related variations)
            Squat
            Deadlift (and related variations)
            Pull/chin-ups
            Military Press
            Dips
            Rows
            Cleans
            Snatches
            Hyperextensions

There's also room for things like bicep curls, tricep extensions, hamstring curls, calf work, abs, etc.

You might also want to check out this article: http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-never-change/

100% agree.

Take 6 months... Bust your ass on basic exs and then go from there.
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

I'd rather have you do
              Might want to reword this.:whisper:

Comment

But he already said he's not a beginner, he's just had a layoff. Your muscles might atrophy during down time, but your CNS doesn't forget. By doing 5/3/1 he still hits big compounds movements frequently, but he can also tailor it to his recovery abilities and current strength levels.
                kind of a douche

Comment

wow guys...thank you so much for the advice. I live in Yuma, Arizona so there are no real powerlifting gyms around here...there is one gym (4th ave) that has descent equipment (power rack and few different bars) but I haven't met anyone that is interested in anything other than crossfit training or bodybuilding who i can ask for help.

I guess what intrigued me about the 5/3/1 boring but big is that I could be in and out of the gym pretty quickly. I'm a full-time student (25 credits) working a full-time job while conducting research. Consequently, being in and out of the gym in a quick but effective manner is extremely important for me right now due to my schedule.

I completely agree that it is important to work on the basic lifts which is why i was thinking about the 5/3/1 method since it focuses on the military, bench, dead, and squat...I guess I have some thinking to do. Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate the responses and advice.

Comment

As far as where I'm at...it's nothing impressive. I took some time to see where I'm at after the layoff and my bench is 315, dead 405, and squat 495. These are way below where I used to be...but I'm not new to lifting. I'm new to powerlifting and would like to focus on building these poundage to where I once was as well as improve upon them and on my conditioning as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinesin View Post
                      As far as where I'm at...it's nothing impressive. I took some time to see where I'm at after the layoff and my bench is 315, dead 405, and squat 495. These are way below where I used to be...but I'm not new to lifting. I'm new to powerlifting and would like to focus on building these poundage to where I once was as well as improve upon them and on my conditioning as well.
                      You are plenty ready for 5/3/1. Go get the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book and follow that.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                        You are plenty ready for 5/3/1. Go get the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book and follow that.
                        A-yup. If you're looking towards doing a PL meet, you might want to get the 5/3/1 for Powerlifters book, which is essentially the same crap + how to prep for a meet.
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Kinesin View Post
                          I guess what intrigued me about the 5/3/1 boring but big is that I could be in and out of the gym pretty quickly.
                          Haha, it looks pretty quick on paper doesn't it?
                          True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

Haha, it looks pretty quick on paper doesn't it?
                            hahhaha...it does. i take it not so much?

Comment

You are in luck (somewhat)

We are in Phoenix, which I know is 3 hours away but it could be worse. I coach a team of about 7 lifters.

If you want to join us once a month or something like that, please PM me.
                              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Working...
                              X