First Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Meet

I haven't posted on here in a long time... been too busy with the new job (running a gym), and new baby. But never fear, i've still been training ard (5/3/1), and am doing my first meet next Saturday. It's the USAPL Aggie Showdown in College Station, TX.

This will be my first time competing in powerlifting ever. I will be in the open, raw division, in the 198lb weight class.

My best lifts to date in training are:
    Squat: 375, (360x2)
    Bench: 280 (though i'm not sure this would have counted in a meet because my but may have lifted slightly)
    Deadlift: 485 good lift

These lifts are nothing special, but I got away from heavy lifting for a while, had a tumor removed, etc.

So the meet should result in lifetime PRs in every lift under meet conditions and being raw (no belt either if that matters)

Here is my plan for the meet depending on how it all goes:
    Squat: 340/370/385
    Bench: 240/275/285
    Deadlift: 450/480/500

Sammich said he would do this meet as well at one point, but i'm not sure if he remembers.

Wish me luck :-)
    Last edited by bbjeff86; 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
    I haven't posted on here in a long time... been too busy with the new job (running a gym), and new baby. But never fear, i've still been training ard (5/3/1), and am doing my first meet next Saturday. It's the USAPL Aggie Showdown in College Station, TX.

This will be my first time competing in powerlifting ever. I will be in the open, raw division, in the 198lb weight class.

My best lifts to date in training are:
    Squat: 375, (360x2)
    Bench: 280 (though i'm not sure this would have counted in a meet because my but may have lifted slightly)
    Deadlift: 485 good lift

These lifts are nothing special, but I got away from heavy lifting for a while, had a tumor removed, etc.

So the meet should result in lifetime PRs in every lift under meet conditions and being raw (no belt either if that matters)

Here is my plan for the meet depending on how it all goes:
    Squat: 340/370/385
    Bench: 240/275/285
    Deadlift: 450/480/500

Sammich said he would do this meet as well at one point, but i'm not sure if he remembers.

Good Luck Jeff, I'll be competing next Saturday also in the SPF Alabama State meet in the RAW 198 Open Division. Sammich doesn't remember 10 minutes ago, he's too busy making shit up and proving other people wrong, lol. Love ya buddy, lol. Get numbers in and improve from meet to meet, that's all you can do.
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Good luck dude, I just had my first meet and our lifts are very similar.

Comment

Good to see back Jeff, was wondering how the training has been going... Best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Kick some ass and have fun

Open light! and listen to the commands
          "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

I do remember, but I have to do a physics outreach thing on Saturdays now for my advisor. :'( Good luck, though!
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
              Kick some ass and have fun

Open light! and listen to the commands
              Based on my training maxes do you think i'm opening light enough... or should I lighten up even more?
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Based on my training maxes do you think i'm opening light enough... or should I lighten up even more?
                I was dreading my squat opener, so I lowered it to something insanely light that I could squat if I were missing my left leg. It eased the tension and I had fun from there on out. I actually warmed up to something like 330 and opened up super light at 300. Squatting in front of a bunch of ppl is weird.

Comment

Actually Jeff, if you need someone there to guide you through it, I could probably get out of my engagement this Saturday. Let me know if you want me to; I don't think it would be a problem.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Good to see you back bro and congrats on the baby....awesome to hear that you're doing something that 98% of lifters never do-COMPETE!

Best of luck and have FUN
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I love Nathan.
                      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                      17 AAU Super Total
                      '16-AAU Hi
                      '15-USPA Metro
                      '15-USPA State
                      '15-AAU HI
                      '14-AAU HI
                      '14-USPA Metro
                      '14-WABDL Sonny's
                      '14-USPA State
                      '14-HI Strongman
                      '13-USPA
                      '13-WABDL Sonny's
                      '13-USPA State
                      '13-AAU HI
                      '11-USPA Metro
                      '10-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-NPC Islands
                      '09-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA IronWorks
                      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                      '01-ABA Olympia
                      '01-ABA Islands
                      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                      '00-INBF Musclefest
                      '98-NGA Ill
                      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Grats on getting this far! Eager to hear how you enjoy this coming Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          Actually Jeff, if you need someone there to guide you through it, I could probably get out of my engagement this Saturday. Let me know if you want me to; I don't think it would be a problem.
                          He actually was very helpful for my first meet and left some pretty nice hand prints on my back although your mileage may vary. John Caesar will be with me and a friend of his at our meet on saturday. He is my official knee wrapper.
                          For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

good deadlift!!!
                            Please follow my journal... http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46381
                            LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
                            TARGET LIFTS....
                            320 kg deadlift/160 kg bench press/280 kg squat
                            yeahHHHHH BUDDYY!! LIGHT WEIGHT YEP YEP YEP!!
                            AINT NUTTIN BUT A PEANUT brrrrrrrrrr

Comment

That is hard to say without actually training with you but for sheer numbers sake, you *may* want to consider opening a bit lighter on squats and pulls. Bench appears spot on.

Squat- you want to get into the meet right away and not have any issues. There is nothing worse than your first lift of the day feeling heavy, especially if new to meets. Again I don't train with you so it may be a non issue. I am speaking in general terms and from experience. Did you hit 375 for a single or is that estimate from 360x2?

Deadlift- It has been a long day up until this point and this will be a lot different than pulling in the gym. Now the deadlift for most people is a meet lift meaning more will be pulled at a meet due to adrenaline, atmosphere and such but this is the time to get a total so lock something in that would not be a question if you had the flu and did not sleep the night before. I usually treat my opening deadlift like a last warm up. Everyone is different in this regard but better to be safe until you know what happens on meet day.
                              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Working...
                              X