Pulling and rowing strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling and rowing strength

Do you guys try to push your strength on the rowing/pulling (by pulling I mean pull down/pull up variations not deads) movements like you would with the pressing? Every training cycle I pick either a rowing movement or a weighted pull up variation and try to progress on it just like I would on bench/squat/dead-lift.
    Right now I am using weighted pull ups as my pulling/rowing movement.
    Here's a vid from last workout. +70lbs for 6 at a BW of 190.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26SPV8Dn1-Y [/YOUTUBE]

Do you guys feel that it's important to balance out the strength between the pushing and pulling for maximum pressing performance ?

I don't know that there is a correlation between pulling and pushing strength, but you certainly should be trying to progress on your back movements. Is that what you are asking?

I don't think that if you bench 315 you should be rowing the same. You might, but I don't think its connected. You should be doing both width and thickness exercises and be moving up in weight or reps over time just like chest or arm exercises.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I don't know that there is a correlation between pulling and pushing strength, but you certainly should be trying to progress on your back movements. Is that what you are asking?

I don't think that if you bench 315 you should be rowing the same. You might, but I don't think its connected. You should be doing both width and thickness exercises and be moving up in weight or reps over time just like chest or arm exercises.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
      I guess I should clear this up a bit. I use a pecenatge based system for my training, first movement in the workout is the one that is periodized and based off of percentages. This is the one that I really bust my ass on and "push" to get stronger on. I use this with squats, deads, front squats, bench, floor press, basically anything that is a big compound movement and will help me bench/squat/deadlift more. I also use this with rowing and vertical pulling movements as well, because I think it's important to "push" these movements also.

This does not mean that I don't progress on whatever I do after my primary movement for the workout, it's just not as aggressive.

I was wondering if anyone else here felt the same way.

Comment

Forgive my forgetfulness but there's a huge member (heh, huge member) on this site who attributed his big OH pressing movements to doing pull-ups prior to the presses. Something to the tune of it helped with the rebound on the pressing.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
          Forgive my forgetfulness but there's a huge member (heh, huge member) on this site who attributed his big OH pressing movements to doing pull-ups prior to the presses. Something to the tune of it helped with the rebound on the pressing.
          I think I have noticed the same effect. These are exactly the kind of things I am interested in finding out.

Comment

Don't forget shrugs too.

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              Who is that?
              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Hey in addition to RS's endorsment for lots of chins for a big-ass overhead press, Stan Efferdings first rule of big bench is are you doing pull-ups in every upper body session?

Actually Red has a pretty sick deadlift as well, and I guarantee that his pull-ups and DL are correlated. Everbody thinks of Red as a clown and dick-joke guy but you don't throw up 120lb Reg Parks without knowing a thing or two about a thing or two
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  Hey in addition to RS's endorsment for lots of chins for a big-ass overhead press, Stan Efferdings first rule of big bench is are you doing pull-ups in every upper body session?

Actually Red has a pretty sick deadlift as well, and I guarantee that his pull-ups and DL are correlated. Everbody thinks of Red as a clown and dick-joke guy but you don't throw up 120lb Reg Parks without knowing a thing or two about a thing or two
                  I'm pretty sure Roy wasn't talking about me lol so my question was seriously wondering who it was.

I do appreciate the nice comments though and you aren't too bad yourself, stud.
                  PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Yev-
                    Just watched the vid, who gives a sh** if chins with that kind if weight "helps" anything?? Doing 90lbs for 6 reps in very clean form is BAD-ASS. Carryover or no Carryover I'd wanna do that because its way better than not bring able to.

In all seriousness we spend so much time pressing horizontal and vertical that I think its essentiak to do at least SOME very heavy pulling horizontal and vertical to balance out the musculature
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Thanks Chris....btw I'm not done yet, I've still got unfinished business
                      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                      17 AAU Super Total
                      '16-AAU Hi
                      '15-USPA Metro
                      '15-USPA State
                      '15-AAU HI
                      '14-AAU HI
                      '14-USPA Metro
                      '14-WABDL Sonny's
                      '14-USPA State
                      '14-HI Strongman
                      '13-USPA
                      '13-WABDL Sonny's
                      '13-USPA State
                      '13-AAU HI
                      '11-USPA Metro
                      '10-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-NPC Islands
                      '09-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA IronWorks
                      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                      '01-ABA Olympia
                      '01-ABA Islands
                      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                      '00-INBF Musclefest
                      '98-NGA Ill
                      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                        Yev-
                        Just watched the vid, who gives a sh** if chins with that kind if weight "helps" anything?? Doing 90lbs for 6 reps in very clean form is BAD-ASS. Carryover or no Carryover I'd wanna do that because its way better than not bring able to.

In all seriousness we spend so much time pressing horizontal and vertical that I think its essentiak to do at least SOME very heavy pulling horizontal and vertical to balance out the musculature
                        Thank you, that was only 70lbs though (two 35's), goal is to do that with 100lbs..

Thank you for responding here as well as the others. It's always great to hear from some of the advanced guys on here and get their input on questions.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          Who is that?
                          http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46231
                          Max Muscle
                          5020 Katella Ave.
                          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Roy, thanks for the link.

Comment

I get nice carry over to pushing when my rowing or pullups increase. Everything is more stable and there is lat engagement at the bottom of any press assuming full Rom.
                              Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X