Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ME exercise rotation + strength loss week 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ME exercise rotation + strength loss week 1

    I have been rotating between flat barbell, and close grip barbell for my 3-5 rep max exercise. I do 3 weeks of progression, 1 week deload, then keep hammering the same lift or switch to a different listed exercise.

    my week 1 weights always suck, as expected I am not used of the movement pattern. It seems as if I don't really get close to what I was doing before the deload until week 2 or 3 and sometimes I don't even want to do the deload but I force my self to.

    how much weight do you all take off when you deload and how many weeks does it take you to get back into PR zone?

    for example last time I flat bench I worked up to 285 for a tripple. I then went to do close grip for 4 weeks and worked up to 255 for a tripple. I went back to flat bench today and 250-3 felt hard as fuck. If I add 5 on each side for 3 weeks that puts me back around the 285 range and I might be able to hammer a PR this month.

    Do you all lose that much coordination / strength from a simple 1 month break from an exercise?

    who here just rocks flat barbell as their ME exercise year round? Have they had success doing this? the only reason I switch now is because my ego gets fucked if I don't hit a PR that month so I like switching between two exercises lol.

  • #2
    Originally posted by syssstem View Post
    I have been rotating between flat barbell, and close grip barbell for my 3-5 rep max exercise. I do 3 weeks of progression, 1 week deload, then keep hammering the same lift or switch to a different listed exercise.

    my week 1 weights always suck, as expected I am not used of the movement pattern. It seems as if I don't really get close to what I was doing before the deload until week 2 or 3 and sometimes I don't even want to do the deload but I force my self to.

    how much weight do you all take off when you deload and how many weeks does it take you to get back into PR zone?

    for example last time I flat bench I worked up to 285 for a tripple. I then went to do close grip for 4 weeks and worked up to 255 for a tripple. I went back to flat bench today and 250-3 felt hard as fuck. If I add 5 on each side for 3 weeks that puts me back around the 285 range and I might be able to hammer a PR this month.

    Do you all lose that much coordination / strength from a simple 1 month break from an exercise?

    who here just rocks flat barbell as their ME exercise year round? Have they had success doing this? the only reason I switch now is because my ego gets fucked if I don't hit a PR that month so I like switching between two exercises lol.
    One month is a long ass time to not perform a lift.

    I also found, working out 3 days/wk, deloads are mostly overkill and I have the same issue on my bench the first day back. My solution was to stop deloading. I will take a day off here and there but that is all by feel.

    I also think you answered your own question. Just do flat bench only then. You know your body better than anyone else on here and pretty much proved in your post that your flat bench suffers when you don't do it often. So, do it often.
    Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have had similar problems when I have gone way too light during deloads. I don't use set percentages now but just try and go in and get a few sets in that let me feel something a little heavy still but not tax me too much.

      Example. If I just hit 300x5 for a 5RM during the wave I may just take it for a single or double during the deload. Not enough that I need to juice up any real intensity or energy but I still feel that weight in my hands.
      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
        I have had similar problems when I have gone way too light during deloads. I don't use set percentages now but just try and go in and get a few sets in that let me feel something a little heavy still but not tax me too much.

        Example. If I just hit 300x5 for a 5RM during the wave I may just take it for a single or double during the deload. Not enough that I need to juice up any real intensity or energy but I still feel that weight in my hands.
        Yes, I like this. Keeps your CNS primed.

        Comment


        • #5
          My training cycles last around 12 weeks, sometimes longer if I am progressing still. During the cycle my primary movements and secondary movements stay the same.
          When I go back to doing a lift I lose a little bit of strength but over the 12 week cycle I hit new pr's around week 7.
          For example last training cycle I used front squats, started the cycle with 280x4, and 315 for a single, previous pr was 290x4. At the end of the cycle I was got 305x4, I tried to run the cycle a little longer to see if I could hit 315 for 4, but it just wasn't happenning. So I took a week off completely and came back with new movements, doing regular squats now.

          Also like Skinny Mike I train 3 days a week and don't do deloads.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            I have had similar problems when I have gone way too light during deloads. I don't use set percentages now but just try and go in and get a few sets in that let me feel something a little heavy still but not tax me too much.

            Example. If I just hit 300x5 for a 5RM during the wave I may just take it for a single or double during the deload. Not enough that I need to juice up any real intensity or energy but I still feel that weight in my hands.

            Say I peak out to 300x5 on a lift over a 4 week blast. Usually I would go in there on my deload (week 5) and do 275 for some easy tripples maybe 2-3x3. Then the week 6 would be 285x5, week 7 295x5, week 8 305x5.

            are you saying if I peak out at 300x5 on week 4. Week 5 go do 300x1, then week 6 go right back to 300x5 reps? Does that really make you guys feel fresh? Maybe I'm coming back to the workouts too fresh lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by syssstem View Post
              Say I peak out to 300x5 on a lift over a 4 week blast. Usually I would go in there on my deload (week 5) and do 275 for some easy tripples maybe 2-3x3. Then the week 6 would be 285x5, week 7 295x5, week 8 305x5.

              are you saying if I peak out at 300x5 on week 4. Week 5 go do 300x1, then week 6 go right back to 300x5 reps? Does that really make you guys feel fresh? Maybe I'm coming back to the workouts too fresh lol.
              No. I do what you describe first.

              I have no idea what's wrong with you lol.
              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                No. I do what you describe first.

                I have no idea what's wrong with you lol.
                lol


                well I'm giving it a shot! next deload

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bruce
                  Avoid soda, diet soda and flavored juices,
                  Walk is great to increase metabolism, do walk for 30 minutes daily,
                  Do take whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits more in your diet meals....
                  great advice. this will definitively help with temporary strength loss when rotating exercises on ME days.

                  thx bra!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by syssstem View Post
                    I have been rotating between flat barbell, and close grip barbell for my 3-5 rep max exercise. I do 3 weeks of progression, 1 week deload, then keep hammering the same lift or switch to a different listed exercise.

                    my week 1 weights always suck, as expected I am not used of the movement pattern. It seems as if I don't really get close to what I was doing before the deload until week 2 or 3 and sometimes I don't even want to do the deload but I force my self to.

                    how much weight do you all take off when you deload and how many weeks does it take you to get back into PR zone?

                    for example last time I flat bench I worked up to 285 for a tripple. I then went to do close grip for 4 weeks and worked up to 255 for a tripple. I went back to flat bench today and 250-3 felt hard as fuck. If I add 5 on each side for 3 weeks that puts me back around the 285 range and I might be able to hammer a PR this month.

                    Do you all lose that much coordination / strength from a simple 1 month break from an exercise?

                    who here just rocks flat barbell as their ME exercise year round? Have they had success doing this? the only reason I switch now is because my ego gets fucked if I don't hit a PR that month so I like switching between two exercises lol.
                    If you are using a conjugate training plan there should be a DE day in there as well so you should be doing regular bench pressing every week. This should avoid losing coordination or motor patterns. I know most who use this system like to rotate at least 6 ME exercises and switch every week.
                    "You need never feel broken again"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                      If you are using a conjugate training plan there should be a DE day in there as well so you should be doing regular bench pressing every week. This should avoid losing coordination or motor patterns. I know most who use this system like to rotate at least 6 ME exercises and switch every week.
                      would that mean when flat bench press isn't their ME lift, it is their DE lift?

                      I recently started doing that for squat / deadlifts, but never thought about doing that for my upper days. good idea!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The DE training is the same lift every week, usually waving percents. So the flat bench is the DE lift every week.

                        For example: DE Bench

                        Week 1, 50% for 8 sets of 3
                        Week 2, 55% for 8 sets of 3
                        Week 3, 60% for 8 sets of 3
                        Unload

                        That is an example at its most basic form and the percents are merely a guideline.

                        What does an average week look like for you? Are you training using a conjugate approach or something different?
                        "You need never feel broken again"

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X