why powerlifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why powerlifting?

Why do you do powerlifting vs bodybuilding?

I am thinking about doing powerlifting-never done it before. My personal problem is that when I have looked into a few routines and, in general, they look vastly different from bodybuilding routines and so they confuse me a bit as to what is actually going on during the week lifting the weights.

I have also seen many guys who are big and appear fat with the strength in there somewhere while there are fewer guys who are more cut, or lets just say not fat looking and appear as bodybuilders. I wondered what the diet of the average powerlifter is compared to a bodybuilder.

I have found myself wanting for begin to focus on the core lifts to build alot of size and strength on my body and I know powerlifting centers on these things yet, mentally, the routines don't really thrill me but I know it is because I am missing something in my reading of them.

Any comments? I am just trying to put a direction in my head so I can follow it and the powerlifting regime is foggy for me.

DEADn

For me it was easy as hell to decide. I took on powerlifting because I wanted to look strong, and BE strong. Many bodybuilders, not all, have the appeal, but not the ability. Most are still strong, but not power lifter strong. Plus, weighing in at over 350lbs, it was always easier to employ powerlifting methods right off the bat instead of trying to wait until I was down 150lbs and then going in to bodybuilding.
    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
      Why do you do powerlifting vs bodybuilding?

I am thinking about doing powerlifting-never done it before. My personal problem is that when I have looked into a few routines and, in general, they look vastly different from bodybuilding routines and so they confuse me a bit as to what is actually going on during the week lifting the weights.

I have also seen many guys who are big and appear fat with the strength in there somewhere while there are fewer guys who are more cut, or lets just say not fat looking and appear as bodybuilders. I wondered what the diet of the average powerlifter is compared to a bodybuilder.

I have found myself wanting for begin to focus on the core lifts to build alot of size and strength on my body and I know powerlifting centers on these things yet, mentally, the routines don't really thrill me but I know it is because I am missing something in my reading of them.

Any comments? I am just trying to put a direction in my head so I can follow it and the powerlifting regime is foggy for me.

DEADn

Maybe you should look into POWER BUILDING. Quite a few guys are using this term for High intensity Conditioning, Powerlifting type routines, and body building diets.
      Or at least that's the way I understand it.

Comment

fat
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Diet is completely independent of training. Just because you compete in Powerlifting doesn't mean you HAVE to eat like a fat slob. And just because you want to do some shows doesn't mean you need to forgo any indulgences.

The trend of "Rhodestown" and it being cool to be disgusting and unhealthy is going away. Sure there are still plenty of guys like that. But the Byrd's, Frankl's, KK's, Caslow's, Krocs of the sport and taking over. People are finally starting to realize that Coronary Artery Disease and Diabetes have no carry over to the platform.

As for which you want to compete in or will enjoy that is up to you. But why not do both? I have a meet in March and a show in May. Truce, Shelby and Robb (DCB) have done the same as well as a few others I can't remember off the top of my head have had great success in both sports as well.

Some will say in order to maximize your potential in a sport you must totally focus on that sport. Sure if you're gonna go break world records, win Olympia's or make a living off your sport. But for the vast majority that that doesn't apply to why not enjoy each avenue you can?
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

The reason I did bring this question up is because mentally I feel like my mind is pushing me towards powerlifting for some reason. Even tonight in my session I focused much more than I usually do with form but also on strength and not just reps. As I went though my session I kept talking to myself about powerlifting and is it worth doing such a thing to me. After all, I want to be strong and have significant size and it seems to me that powerlifting isn't strict in some areas of bodybuilding in terms of diet.

Powerbuilding, that is something I have been doing some of with rest pause. It is ok but sometimes I feel as if I want more.

I think that because I am wanting to focus on core lifts with only slight focus on isolation stuff is why I am asking about powerlifting. It may be that I eventually find myself getting into powerlifting in the end.

I just want to hear from you guys about the powerlifting experience vs bodybuilding and why choose one over the other and for what gains and motivations there are for the powerlifting experience.

P.S. I have been to a bodybuilding show and a powerlifting show. I found powerlifting to be a much better watch overall. Bodybuilding gets old fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
              After all, I want to be strong and have significant size and it seems to me that powerlifting isn't strict in some areas of bodybuilding in terms of diet.
              You completely missed the point of my post...

How you train has zero relevance on how you eat.
              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

After getting into training a while I found that I just wanted to push more and more weight. My desire to push as much weight as possible was stronger than my desire was to focus on working the muscles.
                "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

I chose powerlifting because I am stupid. Seriously I wanted to be strong, but made the mistake of eating like an orca, now I am on the long road to strength and leanness. Like Adam said training and diet are two different animals. I wish I would have learned that when I started and I would not be playing catch up to reach my current goals.

Comment

Adam is 110% right, why can't you eat like a gasp....bodybuilder..............lift like a wait for it.............powerlifter.................and be a hybrid powerbuilder. This year I will do all 3, powerlifting, bodybuilding and strongman. Why can't you do it all? You should look and be strong. I enjoy the atmosphere surrounding the competitions, it's more friendly than bodybuilding where it's all about me me me me.

You should eat to maximize your performance in any sport and that doesn't mean chili dogs and twinkies even if you are a Pro Bowler. To the guy who said powerlifting isn't as strict in terms of diet as bodybuilding. You ever see some of those fat shits that try to "bulk" in the off season? Set-Game-Match

I am training for a meet, I attempt to shed bodyfat and add muscle to remain in the 198lb weight class. How do you add muscle and not grow out of the weight class? You change your body composition, fat to muscle ratio. Sure guys get all bloated and cram their fat asses into suits just like bodybuilders bulk out of control.

To the OP, powerlifting is not subject to someones views with maybe the exception of depth. You either lift the weight or you don't, doesn't depend on what one judge prefers over the other. The atmosphere is more fun in my opinion. They both take hard work and surely are a lot of fun.
                    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Seriously, though, I enjoy it because I like competing against myself. I like setting my own personal goals and striving to achieve them. Meets are a SHITTON of fun (at least the ones I've done), and I enjoy low-rep sets more than I do higher-rep, Bing-style sets.
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Powerlifting...

For me it was an easy choice..

Wait 6 months to maybe see some progress in the mirror
                        Or hit a PR on the big 3 every month.

And yes, meets are a lot of fun. I just did my 1st and can't wait for my 2nd.

Comment

Adam is correct about diet but you seem to need some sort of plan, routine, diet, etc all laid out for you. I'll give you a plan...lift heavy to get big and strong, eat more to gain wt, eat less to lose wt, eat the same to weigh the same. This ain't be rocket science. I would bet money that in the last year you have tried at least half a dozen 'routines'.

Good luck.

Peace.
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

Not much to be said that hasnt been said beautifully by Adam,Robb, ect.....lifting weights is lifting weights. The goal should be (regardless of sport) to be big, strong and healthy. Healthy means maintaining a reasonable level of bodyfat somewhere between 10-15%. Whether your a BB'er or PL'er anything over 20% is fat plain and simple.

The other reality is that the "cut look" is VERY hard to obtain. I call bullshit on anyone who says otherwise. If it wasnt the gym would be full of shredded guys, Id love to walk around full-blown ripped all year round but i dont because its a bitch to maintain.
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                              You completely missed the point of my post...

How you train has zero relevance on how you eat.
                              Exactly, go to a national level powerlifting meet and tell me how many fat slobs you see competing. It will not be many. Top level powerlifters are freaking jacked and for the most part in very good shape. They of course are not in stage condition as that would be detrimental to pushing max weights but they are far from being anywhere near sloppy.

Also, just because some powerlifters choose to not be or look healthy certainly does not mean that is what you have to do in order to powerlift.

Orlando Barbell is running a meet next weekend. Go check it out and talk to some of them, it will be a good time. They are also running a meet in October. Enter the meet and see how you like it. That will be your best indicator as powerlifting is something "You" have to love. What drives others may not be the same thing that drives you
                              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Working...
                              X