Question About Westside Accessory Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Westside Accessory Work

At the end of their workouts, WestSide guys do higher rep accessory work, lots of triceps extensions, for example. Why not do some rest-paused close grip inclines or something? In my humble opinion, rest-pause is THE most effective repetition movement, even without the purposely slow negative (eccentric) phase. (Referencing Louis' teaching that there are three methods for getting stronger: maximum effort method, dynamic effort method, and repetition method.) What does everyone think?
    Last edited by thuggish; 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM.

If there is someone who can do rest-pause sets to triple failure points after max effort squatting in a multi-ply suit, I'd like to meet them.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

1. Rest-pause is not a movement. It is an approach to rest between sets to manipulate work per time.

2. Effective at what?
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

If it was better than what they are doing, don't you think they would be doing it?

You should go to Columbus and tell Louie what's on your mind.
        "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post
          If it was better than what they are doing, don't you think they would be doing it?

I don't buy that.

Louie got his name by coming up with his own shit and being cutting edge. But he has failed to roll with the times. Tons of gyms with other coaches are surpassing Westside using other methods that are working better.
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            I don't buy that.

Louie got his name by coming up with his own shit and being cutting edge. But he has failed to roll with the times. Tons of gyms with other coaches are surpassing Westside using other methods that are working better.

Comment

I don't buy that.

Can you elaborate on that? I am not being a dick, but am honestly curious WHO is surpassing the multi-ply Westside behemoths...

Comment

Originally posted by mlekava000 View Post
                Can you elaborate on that? I am not being a dick, but am honestly curious WHO is surpassing the multi-ply Westside behemoths...
                adam is going to say, "the glute bride guys"

is stan efferding and those team super training guys westside? or are they something else?

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post

is stan efferding and those team super training guys westside? or are they something else?
                  Mark Bell has trained at westside and if you watch their clips at supertraining.tv they follow a typical westside training methodology with ME, DE and RE methods. Stan does not compete in any gear as far as I know...and all the big WS guys compete in multi-gear so we'd never know.

Also, saying that Louie is not keeping up with the times and updating his methodologies is just plain silly if you've never been to Westside. Listen, unless you actually train at WS you have NO CLUE what they are doing and experimenting with there...for all we know they might have found that wrapping your balls around the bar and doing a yoga split increases one's bench by 10%...

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post

I honestly wasn't haha.

Mark Bell has trained at westside and if you watch their clips at supertraining.tv they follow a typical westside training methodology with ME, DE and RE methods. Stan does not compete in any gear as far as I know...and all the big WS guys compete in multi-gear so we'd never know.

Also, saying that Louie is not keeping up with the times and updating his methodologies is just plain silly if you've never been to Westside. Listen, unless you actually train at WS you have NO CLUE what they are doing and experimenting with there...for all we know they might have found that wrapping your balls around the bar and doing a yoga split increases one's bench by 10%...
                    While I have not been to Westside I have trained quite a bit with 2 friends who have moved to Columbus to train there under Louie. And those same 2 are good friends with some of Westsides biggest names of the past and perhaps the best 2 lifters to ever come from there. Those lifters even came out here to train with us and offer their insight while here. I think I know a whole lot more about what they do there then you do.

What I said about Westside was the exact same thing that we talked about just the other day in person. Louie is no longer the God people think he is.

Other gyms... Big Iron, Bad Attitude, Lexen Extreme... That's 3 off the top of my head.

Do you have any idea why Vogelphol left Westside for Lexen? Or am I clueless to that pertinent piece of information too?

Comment

I honestly wasn't haha.

While I have not been to Westside I have trained quite a bit with 2 friends who have moved to Columbus to train there under Louie. And those same 2 are good friends with some of Westsides biggest names of the past and perhaps the best 2 lifters to ever come from there. Those lifters even came out here to train with us and offer their insight while here. I think I know a whole lot more about what they do there then you do.

What I said about Westside was the exact same thing that we talked about just the other day in person. Louie is no longer the God people think he is.

Other gyms... Big Iron, Bad Attitude, Lexen Extreme... That's 3 off the top of my head.

Do you have any idea why Vogelphol left Westside for Lexen? Or am I clueless to that pertinent piece of information too?
                      I have no clue why Chuckie V left Westside and don't care - I'm here for the training knowledge, not for insider powerlifting politics. I somewhat keep up with the Lexen training log on their website (pretty cool website) and fail to see any significant differences between what the Lexen guys are doing (per their logs) and what Louie preaches. Maybe you can point out some stuff.

As we can all agree- Louie didn't invent this stuff but he was the first to put all of that massive research and practical experience done out there by the Soviets, Bulgarians and other East Bloc countries into practical use in the States. The foundations of westside programming are grounded in science and, as such, they will not change (note that I said the FOUNDATIONS, not the rest of the system). The human body will keep working the same way in the next 100 years as it did the last 100; it is only the research giving us insights on it that will change.

Comment

I have no clue why Chuckie V left Westside and don't care - I'm here for the training knowledge, not for insider powerlifting politics. I somewhat keep up with the Lexen training log on their website (pretty cool website) and fail to see any significant differences between what the Lexen guys are doing (per their logs) and what Louie preaches. Maybe you can point out some stuff.

As we can all agree- Louie didn't invent this stuff but he was the first to put all of that massive research and practical experience done out there by the Soviets, Bulgarians and other East Bloc countries into practical use in the States. The foundations of westside programming are grounded in science and, as such, they will not change (note that I said the FOUNDATIONS, not the rest of the system). The human body will keep working the same way in the next 100 years as it did the last 100; it is only the research giving us insights on it that will change.
                        Nice tap dance.

Comment

Still waiting to hear about what all those gyms you listed are doing differently that is "cutting edge" and "methods that are working better". Instead of mocking me for lack of insider information you could, you know, drop some knowledge on us. Each one teach one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                            If there is someone who can do rest-pause sets to triple failure points after max effort squatting in a multi-ply suit, I'd like to meet them.
                            This.
                            "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post

yeah sure, let me hop on a plane. oh wait, i have responsibilities here. ill ask him on a message board. no, he doesn't belong to one that i know of. maybe ill just ask here and see what people think.

wow, are all your responses this helpful?

Comment

Working...
                              X