First meet...complete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First meet...complete.

Holy fuck what an insanely tiring day. I completed my first ever meet today for the USAPL. I didn't decide to do this meet until December 15th, so I only had 3 weeks to prepare. Anyway, on to my day....

The day started off really bad for me. Apparently an email was sent out explaining that women through the 198 men's class were going to be in the morning session, starting at 9, and 220/242/275 were going to be in the afternoon session, starting at 3. I never received this email, so I just followed the sheet that said check in from 6:30-8:30 am and since it was my first meet, I wanted to show up early. So yeah, I woke up at 5am and got there at 6:15 (FML). Slept maybe 4 hours. On top of that, the morning session did not end until 5:30. I didn't even take my squat opener until about 7 oclock...crazy. I dropped all my openers even lower just in case because there was no way in hell I was bombing at my first meet because of an organization error.

Squat
    Opener: 300, 3 whites
    2nd: 345, 3 whites
    3rd: 370, 3 whites

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3XV-bs22s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84t8TZgANM[/youtube]

So warming up, 275 felt like a ton...I was already gassed before the meet even started LOL. So I dropped my opener from 315 to 300 just in case. I must say that I was surprised that it didn't feel weird at all squatting in front of a bunch of people. 370 went up like nothing. I had 400 in me for sure, no problem. But I stayed conservative.

Bench
    Opener: 225, 3 whites
    2nd: 260, 3 whites...flew up
    3rd: 280, failed it. Really not sure what happened here. My back cramped and then I just had no strength. In the gym, this is normally a lift I can get every time regardless. Oh well, no big deal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFGnTbgwNU&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ& index=6&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ocU-jkXoYI&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ&index=5&featu re=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3vh_RBxwm4&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ& index=4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Deads
    Lowered my opener way down, just in case, because again, while I was warming up I felt AWFUL. Cramps all over the place in my quads and hams. I lowered it from 450 to 407.

Opener: 407, 3 whites
    2nd: 460, 3 whites
    3rd: 501.5, 3 whites.

In hindsight, I went way too conservative. I left a good 30-40 lbs on the table. Everyone said my 501 looked like an opener.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QAl4OZFRZw&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ& index=3&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59aD-BvAdk&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ&index=2&featur e=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxbjW-eU_GI&list=UUwzyA8wSC8YEVRo0JpQ1_nQ&index=1&featur e=plcp[/youtube]

Total: 1131

I was happy with this considering I only slept 4 hours,stood around for 13 hours before my first squat, and only weighed 228 at 6'5".

I definitely found my calling though. Regardless of how grueling the day was, it was so much fun. Everyone is really supportive. I am definitely going to do more meets in the future. Priority number 1 is just filling out my frame as best as I can and bringing up my sad bench.
    Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM.

Congratulations SkinnyMike! Just competing is an accomplishment in itself. Now that you have the first competition under your belt, i'm sure the next meet you will feel much more confident and put up the numbers you know you can. Hats off to brother! Keep up the great work!

P.S. Those deadlifts did look very easy for you, nice job! And you are one tall s.o.b, haha (I'm 5'4").

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by TLopez; 01-08-2012, 01:33 AM.
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
      Congratulations SkinnyMike! Just competing is an accomplishment in itself. Now that you have the first competition under your belt, i'm sure the next meet you will feel much more confident and put up the numbers you know you can. Hats off to brother! Keep up the great work!

P.S. Those deadlifts did look very easy for you, nice job! And you are one tall s.o.b, haha (I'm 5'4").
      Thanks Lopez. Yeah, I am one tall lanky mofo. I only started deadlifting the day I signed up for the meet, december 15th. The last one before that was 6 months prior as I was fighting back issues. But I did squat a ton in that period....crazy carry over to deadlift I get from squats.

I am definitely a PLer now. I was kind of on the edge before whether I wanted to try to just focus on building a nice physique or just build pure strength. After seeing the physiques of some of the guys who were putting up awesome numbers, I was convinced this is the path I want to take. They were big AND lean enough where it still looks good walking around.

Next step is figuring out what routine I am going to do. I am thinking a bench specific routine to start, followed by something like 5/3/1 or juggernaut method for a while. My bench only seems to ever go up on bench specific routines. Too tired to sort it out now... I will start weighing my options next week.

Comment

Hey Mike-
        I think its Awesome that you got a meet under your belt, I think given the circumstances you smart to go conservative.....
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

good story, good read and nice vids.
          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
          Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
          ~William Bernbach

Comment

Good stuff man! Glad you had fun and are hooked! Don't that that poorly managed meet influence your opinion on how things are supposed to go!
            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Congrats on your first meet...well done. Sucks about not getting the email and time change, but, Id say you did pretty well.

So...whats next? A meet in the summer/fall?

-slide
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Congrats!
                "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  Hey Mike-
                  I think its Awesome that you got a meet under your belt, I think given the circumstances you smart to go conservative.....
                  Thanks man. Getting that first squat out of the way and seeing 3 white lights is a FANTASTIC feeling.

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                  good story, good read and nice vids.
                  Thanks SAHD. I'll see if I can get the squat ones today.

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                  Good stuff man! Glad you had fun and are hooked! Don't that that poorly managed meet influence your opinion on how things are supposed to go!
                  I am hooked. The camaraderie between lifters is amazing. As for the meet...yeah it was definitely less than ideal conditions LOL. It was a brand new gym and they just didn't know what they were doing. No big deal.

Originally posted by slide View Post
                  Congrats on your first meet...well done. Sucks about not getting the email and time change, but, Id say you did pretty well.

So...whats next? A meet in the summer/fall?

-slide
                  Thanks Slide.

The next USAPL meet that is relatively close to me is in May. I would like to gain a solid 10 lbs by then and give it another go at the 242s. 425/300/550 would be nice. I need to figure out how to gain weight slowly without getting hanging stomach syndrome. Every time I put on scale weight, a lot of it seems to go right to my stomach (seems to run in my family). I may take a carb cycling approach or a carb back loading approach.

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                  Congrats!
                  Thanks hyp .
                  Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

congrats my man. you got the fever now... =0)
                    site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Fuck yeah, man, congratulations! I think it's much better to play it conservative in your first outing than end up bombing left and right. Now you've been bitten by the bug, and you're in. Time to take a much-deserved break from lifting, then start planning and training for the next one. :first:
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Skinny-
                        Eat like a bodybuilder, train like a powerlifter!
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post
                          congrats my man. you got the fever now... =0)
                          Thanks. Absolutely have it...can't wait until the next one.

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          Fuck yeah, man, congratulations! I think it's much better to play it conservative in your first outing than end up bombing left and right. Now you've been bitten by the bug, and you're in. Time to take a much-deserved break from lifting, then start planning and training for the next one. :first:
                          Thanks Sammich. I think the next one will still be somewhat conservative, just less so. Getting my form down on a true 100% max is still something I am learning to do.

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                          Skinny-
                          Eat like a bodybuilder, train like a powerlifter!
                          QFT.

Comment

Awesome job Mike, keep at it!
                            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Great job Mike. Its great to get the first meet jitters out of the way. I was worried about lifting in front of other people during my first meet too but once it happens its a non issue.
                              "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Working...
                              X