Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergistic Dominance and finding the weak point

Hi all,

I have been reading all this stuff explaining how no matter how strong you think your glutes are, they could probably always be stronger. I have been on a search for many indicator lifts trying to determine when someone's glutes are strong enough and handling as much of the load as they are supposed to.

I always used to just compare how my deadlift numbers matched up with my full squat to measure my hamstring / glute / quad balance. I always wanted my squat to be within 100 pounds of my deadlift.

Also, I watched a video of louie simmons explaining how if you want to squat 600, just do the same workout as someone who can squat 600, and if you cant do the same weight on the other exercises they do, then that is where you need to work on. Example used was weighted reverse hyperextentions.

One of these exercises I thought might be good to start trying to progress with the squat and deadlift was the glute bridge.

How close should a glute bridge be to a deadlift in order to determine if there is any type of muscle imbalance or weakness?

Right now my PR deadlift is 575 at 185 pounds. 2 days ago I glute bridged 405 for 15. Should I be able to glute bridge way more or less than that?
    Last edited by syssstem; 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM.

if no one has any idea, is it because glute bridges hurt so fucking bad when you go past 4 plates? so no one who can lift big even bothers with them?

Comment

Never heard of glute bridges.

Dominate the GHR and you'll dominate on the platform.
      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
        if no one has any idea, is it because glute bridges hurt so fucking bad when you go past 4 plates? so no one who can lift big even bothers with them?
        I'm sure they have a place in your training just like GHR's are an assistance exercise.
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Glute bridges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rSr...e_gdata_player

Seems like an excerise that could be useful esp when pushing your hips thru on the deadlift. I've thought about trying them out before but just never have.
          It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Grant View Post
            Glute bridges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rSr...e_gdata_player

Seems like an excerise that could be useful esp when pushing your hips thru on the deadlift. I've thought about trying them out before but just never have.
            ya those are them. my friend who can deadlift over 700 can do glute bridges with 600, but hes only tried them once in his life. I wonder if future or any other big lifters around here do, or have done glute bridges.

someone link me some impressive GHR videos. I have never really been a big fan of GHR because I don't have access to a good machine.

Comment

If you want to squat 600, you have to squat 595 first, and 590 before that.

You read and worry too much. That's the opinion I've formed from reading your posts.

I'ved added something like 60lbs on my deadlift in the past year by ONLY DEADLIFTING.

But go ahead and do reverse hypers if you want.
              Last edited by LandryP; 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM.
              "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Sys-
                I'm a pretty smart guy and I don't even know what your asking....is your goal to bring up your dead and you think your glutes are the limiting factor??

Here's a thought: do some reverse hypers, deficit deads and EAT MORE FOOD
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  Sys-
                  I'm a pretty smart guy and I don't even know what your asking....is your goal to bring up your dead and you think your glutes are the limiting factor??

Here's a thought: do some reverse hypers, deficit deads and EAT MORE FOOD
                  Trucelt. That will never work. It's too simple to work.

It should be Reverse Hypers 5 sets of 6 with 80% of best SLDL with a 40X1 tempo.
                  "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

@Landry thats hilarious...you forgot the part of waving the intensity but not undualting the linear progression but only on your GPP work for submaximal banded glute bridges

Damn glad i start working out and competing BEFORE the advent of the internet....
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

If all we needed to do to improve a lift was to just do that lift, then we can all just compete every weekend and keep smashing records till the end of time. Also, every bro who only does bench and curls at the gym would be the biggest, meanest bencher in the world.

Comment

lol fuck you both (landry and truclet) for saying im over thinking it and making it more complicated than it has to be. It makes perfect sense sense, and it is 100% not as simple as eating more and deadlifting more. The only thing that will make me do is deadlift more at a heavier weight.

ya it is pretty simple for me to eat till im 250 and deadlift 600, but that isn't what I'm trying to do. I want to deadlift 600 at 185, not 285.

All I was saying is I seen a video of Louie Simmons explaining that lots of people can add a great deal to their deadlift and squat by simply doing some glute specific progression - he recomended reverse hypers. I thought ok cool, I don't have accesses to a reverse hyper, so I will do glute bridges.

The next question would be, at what point is my glute bridge no longer a weak point, and when do I focus on a different part of the lift.

That is why I was asking for correlation between the glute specific exercises and the deadlift or squat. In a youtube video Louie Simmons used an example that his guys who squat 800 can do like 200 or 400 (I don't remember exactly) on the reverse hyper. So what about a guy who wants to deadlift 600, what should he be able to do on the reverse hyper? or a glute bridge?

Better question, WHO HERE CAN DEADLIFT 600 POUNDS? HOW MUCH WEIGHT FOR HOW MANY SETS / REPS CAN YOU USE FOR GLUTE BRIDGES?
                        Last edited by syssstem; 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Wow. Ballsy to say fuck you to 2 guys with 10x's the success and experience as you when they give you advice.

How about this...
                          Fuck you and fuck your glute bridges.
                          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                            Wow. Ballsy to say fuck you to 2 guys with 10x's the success and experience as you when they give you advice.

How about this...
                            Fuck you and fuck your glute bridges.
                            they know it is a playful fuck you they help me all the time. chill out champ

Comment

WHO HERE CAN DEADLIFT 600 POUNDS? HOW MUCH WEIGHT FOR HOW MANY SETS / REPS CAN YOU USE FOR GLUTE BRIDGES?

I can pull 585-615 pretty much any week I want to work up in weight. The only glute bridges I have ever done were with no weight and for recovery from a back injury. I did not know what they were called just did them because my chiro said so. My suggestion, if you think the exercise is valuable try and add 20-30lbs to the exercise. If it makes your Deadlift go up then you have your answer, if not you also have your answer. Very simple way of looking at things but effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X