Meet newb...need pointers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet newb...need pointers.

So I got the itch to compete. I was going to wait until Q2-Q3 '12 but I found this one very close to me that I want to do. I have never done a meet before.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/entry...cEntryForm.pdf

I need some guidance...

I don't have a singlet...can anyone give me a good place to get one that I can get by the meet date? Are knee sleeves allowed? Should I buy deadlift socks? How early should I get there if weigh ins are 6:30-8:30? What food should I bring?

Anything else????

If you have a high school or college nearby, you can try contacting one of the coaches and see if they have some old practice singlets lying around.
    Other places for singlets:
    http://www.titansupport.com/products/other-suits
    http://tinyurl.com/5wzw5

"Knee sleeves 30 cm in length are also legal and the medical/surgical sleeves are also an option. A combination of the two is strictly forbidden. Neoprene may be “synthetic” rubber but is only acceptable in the knee sleeve."
    Also:
    "Raw/Unequipped lifting is defined as using only the following gear and accessories as previously described above:
    (a) non-supportive singlet and shirt
    (b) briefs
    (c) socks
    (d) belt
    (e) shoes
    (f) commercial wrist wraps
    (g) knee sleeve"
    Source: http://usapowerlifting.com/liftersco...LHandbook2.pdf

They will check the sleeves you have to make sure they're legal anyway at check in. I would get to weigh-ins just before 6:30. It's a lot less stressful to get all that crap done when there aren't a bunch of anxious people there waiting. I would wear knee high socks for deadlift if you want to keep your shins from bleeding all over the bar. As for food, I have always kept to some normal food that I usually eat and then some that can be metabolized quickly. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

What weight class/division(s) are you in? Have you picked your openers (or 2nd/3rd lifts)? Looking forward to see how it goes. Good luck.
    Last edited by ben.puckhaber; 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM. Reason: Added a few things

Comment

Originally posted by ben.puckhaber View Post
      If you have a high school or college nearby, you can try contacting one of the coaches and see if they have some old practice singlets lying around.
      Other places for singlets:
      http://www.titansupport.com/products/other-suits
      http://tinyurl.com/5wzw5

"Knee sleeves 30 cm in length are also legal and the medical/surgical sleeves are also an option. A combination of the two is strictly forbidden. Neoprene may be “synthetic” rubber but is only acceptable in the knee sleeve."
      Also:
      "Raw/Unequipped lifting is defined as using only the following gear and accessories as previously described above:
      (a) non-supportive singlet and shirt
      (b) briefs
      (c) socks
      (d) belt
      (e) shoes
      (f) commercial wrist wraps
      (g) knee sleeve"
      Source: http://usapowerlifting.com/liftersco...LHandbook2.pdf

They will check the sleeves you have to make sure they're legal anyway at check in.

I would get to weigh-ins just before 6:30. It's a lot less stressful to get all that crap done when there aren't a bunch of anxious people there waiting.
      What weight class/division(s) are you in? Have you picked your openers (or 2nd/3rd lifts)? Looking forward to see how it goes. Good luck.
      Thanks for the help!

I will be lifting in the 242s, although I only weigh 228 (am) at 6'5", so pretty skinny.

I am having a really successful, slow bulk going right now, so I don't want to screw it up by attempting to cut down to 222 before the meet, although I could easily do it. This meet is just about getting experience.

Have not picked any openers yet.

My last few sessions' best lifts were:
      Squat: 360 for 3
      Bench: 275 for 3
      Deadlift: N/A

I just started pulling again....but that is a lift I have never had trouble with. I didn't even train it at all and pulled 520 a few months ago.

For meet day, I will probably go:

Squat:
      335 -> 375 -> 400

Bench:
      245 -> 275 -> 300

Deadlift:
      400 -> 450 -> 500 (or more depending on how my low back feels).

I am only stressing about the squat, because I have never squatted without a mirror in front of me, so I am not sure if it will feel weird or what. I should bring some poster board to LA fitness and tape it to the mirror LOL!

Comment

Good luck man. I have never competed in pl'ing, but here it is pretty enjoyable, at least a better experience than a bodybuilding show. Have fun.
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I think I will get the inzer singlet.

It says 195-230 lbs = XL
          230-270 = XXL

I feel like my "230 lbs" is not your average 230 lbs, because I am so tall. Should I opt for the XL?

Here is a video of me squatting, to give you an idea of my proportions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJexuZ8ZEcQ&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Comment

You may want to have someone call your depth on your squats over the next few weeks. USAPL is pretty strict about depth and I think they might call you on those squats in your vid. It's pretty close. Better safe than sorry. There's nothing shittier than hitting a PR and getting red lighted on depth

Comment

I feel like my "230 lbs" is not your average 230 lbs, because I am so tall. Should I opt for the XL?
              Yeah those singlets are pretty stretchy. I would think you'd be fine with XL. Personally, I would rather have the singlet be on the tight side than the loose side. When it's loose, the judges can't see if your butt is coming off the bench and it would suck to get a false call on that just because they thought you came off the bench. Plus you can always send it back if it doesn't fit.
              Last edited by ben.puckhaber; 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I've done two but some things to remember are bringing your gear, or belt and wraps if raw. Plenty of food, water, gatorade supplements, ammonia caps, extra clothes in case the venue is cold. Bands are also helpful if you have them. Pacing your warm ups are good as I tend to rush. MAke sure your openers are fairly easy. I don't plan 2nd or 3rd attempts, my opener will dictate the kind of day it is as well as my warm ups, I always shoot for a meet PR in each lift whether it be my 2nd or 3rd attempts.

PL meets are a blast and nothing like BB, people, most people besides some WS douchebags are very nice and very helpful. Most important have fun and get numbers in the book and go from there.
                For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I've done one USAPL meet here in San Antonio, I agree with DCB about the food and not planning 2nd or 3rd lifts. Just get your openers and go from there. I usually open with a weight I can get for a triple, then 2nd lift is usually a 1RM that I have gotten before, then 3rd lifts are a new PR attempt if I get the 2nd.

On a side note, I don't think you'd have a problem or screw anything up by dropping those 6 pounds to get to 222. That would be pretty much water weight anyway, and I know for the first meet, you just want the experience etc. But personally, I'd prefer to be in the top of my weights than the bottom, esp for PL meet, but that's completely your call in whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Good Luck and post about how it goes, how you liked it etc., I have found USAPL to be a bit more strict as someone already mentioned, and not as consistent as say APF. Try to get someone to watch you from the side on squats so you get the feeling of where you are just breaking parallel, make sure your feet are flat on the ground on bench, etc. Little things.

Comment

I have no one to call depth. I am pretty sure it only appears high because of the camera angle. As for dropping weight you are right. I can probably drop 6 lbs easily. If I put 222 on the form but miss my weigh in do I just get put in the 242s or do I get DQed?

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                      I have no one to call depth. I am pretty sure it only appears high because of the camera angle. As for dropping weight you are right. I can probably drop 6 lbs easily. If I put 222 on the form but miss my weigh in do I just get put in the 242s or do I get DQed?
                      You just get bumped up to the next weight class

Comment

I usually open with a weight I can get for a triple, then 2nd lift is usually a 1RM that I have gotten before, then 3rd lifts are a new PR attempt if I get the 2nd.
                        x2 on this. That's exactly how I set up my attempts going into the meet.

Also, you may want to find someone to bring to the meet to "coach" you. Whether it is to call depth on your squats, lift off for bench, or submitting your attempts in between lifts. Having someone around to do the busy work makes things a lot easier so all you gotta do is focus on liftin heavy ass WEIGHT.

On a side note, I don't think you'd have a problem or screw anything up by dropping those 6 pounds to get to 222. That would be pretty much water weight anyway, and I know for the first meet, you just want the experience etc. But personally, I'd prefer to be in the top of my weights than the bottom, esp for PL meet, but that's completely your call in whatever you feel most comfortable doing.
                        I agree with Michael here. I normally could drop 5-6 lbs the week before the meet easily if I needed to make weight just by changing water intake. Here is some info on what I did with water intake to make weight:

"On the Monday of meet week, increase your daily water intake from one to two gallons. Be absolutely sure you get two gallons down every day of meet week. This will ensure adequate hydration and additional fluid excretion. Urination will increase as will overnight weight loss.
                        Continue drinking two gallons of water daily. A good rule is to keep drinking until approximately 12 hours prior to weigh-ins. For example, if you weigh-in at 8:00 am on Saturday morning, cease water intake at 8:00 pm on Friday evening. If you shut your water off at 8:00 pm, you’ll still have a couple of hours to urinate and lose some more fluid before bedtime. Immediately after the cessation of water intake, eat one whole lemon. Lemons have nearly innumerable functions and increasing urination is one of them.
                        I didn't try the lemon thing because I didn't need to but I'm sure it works
                        The morning of the competition, wake up, go to the bathroom, and if you’re already on location (as in a hotel), then immediately check your weight on the meet scale. Hopefully, you’ll be right on or slightly under. If you’re one pound under then you can eat one pound of food and still be safe. Do not drink before weigh-ins. Water is heavy. Two cups (16 ounces) of water weigh one pound. You would rather fuel your body with calories then add weight with water. If you absolutely need to, just take small sips of water to hold you over until weigh-ins. Invest in a small food scale. They’re not expensive and then you can place your food directly onto the scale to see how much you’re eating. For those who have to drive to the competition, if you’re on weight or under, you can eat accordingly.

Immediately after weigh-ins, start drinking water again. Drink at least 16 ounces of water. Then eat some high energy foods. Focus on quality carbohydrates like oatmeal, apples, apple sauce, or bananas on meet day. Include foods that you enjoy because they are easier to get down if you’re nervous. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on wheat bread. They taste delicious and they’re jam packed with calories including carbohydrates and fats for energy. Avoid sugar-filled and high glycemic carbohydrates like grapes, watermelon, candy, and fruit juices. This will spike insulin levels and lead to a crash. You want carbohydrates that will provide sustained energy.

You can eat a candy bar when you get ready to deadlift if your energy levels have dipped and you need a quick boost. There’s no need to concern yourself with protein on meet day. It takes too long to digest and can slow you down. Lastly, it’s important not to change too much on contest day. If you’re not used to eating pancakes with syrup, then don’t all of the sudden eat a short stack before you lift. This could potentially wreak havoc on your stomach. Eat foods that are familiar.

After eating your first post weigh-in meal, drink another 16 ounces of water. Then you can introduce sports drinks like Gatorade, Cytomax, or even Pedialyte. There has been research supporting how ingesting a lot of sodium and potassium via sports drinks immediately after depletion can be dangerous. The good news is that if you follow these simple steps of proper hydration and sufficient caloric intake you won’t be dehydrated nor depleted of electrolytes. In fact, you’ll likely be exactly where you want to be. So, in this situation, the sports drinks aren’t dangerous.

You can also eat salty foods like plain salt, potato chips, or canned chicken soup or drink a V-8. All of these are ultra high in sodium and will be absorbed quickly so your body will begin to retain more water and then your gear might even fit a little tighter."
                        Source: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/making_weight.htm

That article is just overall a good read.

Comment

I have no one to call depth.
                          If you don't have anyone that knows how to call depth you could just get a random person at the gym to take a vid with your phone so that you can check your depth yourself.

Comment

also, regarding water weight, remember too that you should have plenty of time to get in more than enough water, especially if you get there early for the weigh-in. Depending on the size of the meet, it might be 2-3 hours (or more) before your first lift. USAPL will do the high-school/teens first, then females, then start with the lightweights moving up, so just something to keep in mind when thinking about liquid/diet the day of the show

Also x2 on bringing somebody with you to the show, even if just to tell the judges your next attempt. I think USAPL only gives you 60 seconds after a successful lift to get in your next lift numbers. Also (sidenote) that you have to give your attempts in kg. I went alone the first time not knowing this, and was not super bad mix-up, just a little embarrassing...

Comment

Originally posted by ben.puckhaber View Post
                              If you don't have anyone that knows how to call depth you could just get a random person at the gym to take a vid with your phone so that you can check your depth yourself.
                              This. Make sure you get it sorted out ahead of time, it sucks to see people bomb out because of depth, or have to take their opener a second time, deeper, and have one less attempt.

Plan your second and third attempts vaguely for the reason mentioned above. Immediately after your lift they are going to want to know what you want next, so its good to have an idea.
                              Current Raw PR's as of 2012
                              365 Oly Squat @ 160
                              350 TNG Bench @ 160
                              556.7 Deadlift @ 157 (usapl)

My YouTube
                              My Lifting Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X