Can you be TOO flexible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be TOO flexible?

So recently I have gotten into a huge stretching kick. I really started taking it more seriously. I started reading into exercise physiology stuff and learning more about how the hips, knees, and shoulders work. I have been incorporating dynamic and static stretching throughout the day. Probably about 10 minutes of static in the morning, 15 min of dynamic pre workout, and 15 min of static before bed.

Long story short, I can some how pretty much do the splits now. Side splits and front splits.

The big question:

I know I only weigh like 185 and am a pretty small guy in power lifting terms However, I can deadlift close to 600 and squat mid-upper 400.

Will moving this type of poundages while being able to do the splits put me at risk of randomly poping something out of place?

Scott, Ken, Shawn, what do you beasts think about being TOO flexible?

I didn't think I would ever ACCIDENTALLY be able to do the splits. I don't know if I should be happy or concerned.

No.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
      No.
      Do you know anyone who deadlifts over 650 who can do the splits?

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
        Do you know anyone who deadlifts over 650 who can do the splits?
        Yep.
        kind of a douche

Comment

Yep.
          as long as your not fucking with me I feel satisfied with your answers :2guns:

Comment

new question:

would it be beneficial or even possible for everyone who can deadlift 650-750 RAW to be able to do the splits? Would this be helpful to them, or dangerous?:wacko:

Comment

as long as your not fucking with me I feel satisfied with your answers :2guns:
              I'm not. :kiss:

new question:

would it be beneficial or even possible for everyone who can deadlift 650-750 RAW to be able to do the splits? Would this be helpful to them, or dangerous?:wacko:
              Nope. The only danger would be if the ligaments are loose, which would make dislocation a danger. But muscular flexibility makes injuries less likely.
              kind of a douche

Comment

As a general statement I would say you can't really be too flexible, only too weak to control your mobility (the only possible exception in my mind would be if your shoulder capsule is extremely loose and you are loading it in an overstretched position). My deadlift is pretty solid, and although I can't do the splits, I could eventually if I stretched enough.
                "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

i did the splits back freshman year in highschool at a weight of 225lbs.. that was 6 years ago.. i should probably get back to that. being flexible is awesome though no denying that
                  my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

No.
                    See Osteoarthritis and hypermobility syndrome
                    5% discount from TPC use GRM223

Comment

David Henry can do the splits. I would consider him pretty strong too.
                      Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

Look up the good old Tom platz, I think Melvin Anthony or Kai was super flexible too. But in a joint usually flexibility results in less stability but that's involving ligaments and tendons. Not muscle bellies.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                          Look up the good old Tom platz, I think Melvin Anthony or Kai was super flexible too. But in a joint usually flexibility results in less stability but that's involving ligaments and tendons. Not muscle bellies.
                          I feel it would be easier for people like tom platz, melvin, DH, and kai to be real flexible and not get injured because they work in controlled environments (the weight room).

I'm speaking more towards powerlifters who use prowler pushes, sled pulls, tire flips. Strongman who put their bodies in weird positions. And top football players who have to deal with weird body positions as well.

I think it would be quite more easy for a body builder to get away with being "overly flexible" than it would be in one of the examples I listed.

That being said, Sammich made me feel comfortable about the power lifters. What about the strongmen around here? Top d1 guys? any ex CFL or NFL players? could they do the splits in their primes?

also, how does one test the lack of flexability in ligaments and tendons? I thought those were always pretty constant. How do you tighten loose ligaments and tendons? I thought they had the same properties as muscles just took longer to heal due to lack of blood flow?

Comment

I feel it would be easier for people like tom platz, melvin, DH, and kai to be real flexible and not get injured because they work in controlled environments (the weight room).

I'm speaking more towards powerlifters who use prowler pushes, sled pulls, tire flips. Strongman who put their bodies in weird positions. And top football players who have to deal with weird body positions as well.

I think it would be quite more easy for a body builder to get away with being "overly flexible" than it would be in one of the examples I listed.

That being said, Sammich made me feel comfortable about the power lifters. What about the strongmen around here? Top d1 guys? any ex CFL or NFL players? could they do the splits in their primes?

also, how does one test the lack of flexability in ligaments and tendons? I thought those were always pretty constant. How do you tighten loose ligaments and tendons? I thought they had the same properties as muscles just took longer to heal due to lack of blood flow?

it was three or four years ago when the bears played the raiders or something like that and one of the players went into a full split during the play.. got up and went back to the huddle... alex mack, a 1st round draft pick that played center at Cal, who's with the Browns can do a full split. flexibility in football/athletics will benefit the athlete in more ways than one... trust me, don't worry about getting hurt from being flexible.. more or less, its the other way around
                            my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

Could never do a side split but before my back injury I could do a front split. Never a problem.

Most sports related injuries are from imbalances (most often a weak postirior chain).
                              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                              Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                              X