Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee problems

Hey!

I just began a new 5x5 program, and today I was doing deficit deads, the warmups went fine but then I tried to begin my workset and awwh it hurt my right knee far before I had made enough force to lift the thing. Luckily I had no rush, so I warmed up in every kind of way for 3 hours (knee extensions, weightless leg press, rowing machine, stationary bike etc etc) but still it hurt! So I just did some rack deads a lil under knee level with almost motionless legs, and that went fine.

I do Layne Norton´s power/hypertrophy routine, so I train lower body 2 times a week, one time with 2-5 reps (favoring deads) and one with about 12-16 (favoring squat). How does this plan sound like (to fix my knee):
    -I´ll forget low rep squats totally, and do just deadlift for heavy days. I´ll do the deads from a lower and lower rack untill in about 6-8 weeks I´ll be on floor level. Then I´ll stay at that level for a couple of weeks before going deficit level.
    -For the hypertrophy squats, I´ll start from about 30 reps, and go down to 12-16 in same timeline as I get the dead to floor level.

I have a couple of electric knee warmers that I´ve never used, I´ve also thought of using those through the entire leg workouts.

Originally posted by SmallBall View Post
    Hey!

I just began a new 5x5 program, and today I was doing deficit deads, the warmups went fine but then I tried to begin my workset and awwh it hurt my right knee far before I had made enough force to lift the thing. Luckily I had no rush, so I warmed up in every kind of way for 3 hours (knee extensions, weightless leg press, rowing machine, stationary bike etc etc) but still it hurt! So I just did some rack deads a lil under knee level with almost motionless legs, and that went fine.

I do Layne Norton´s power/hypertrophy routine, so I train lower body 2 times a week, one time with 2-5 reps (favoring deads) and one with about 12-16 (favoring squat). How does this plan sound like (to fix my knee):
    -I´ll forget low rep squats totally, and do just deadlift for heavy days. I´ll do the deads from a lower and lower rack untill in about 6-8 weeks I´ll be on floor level. Then I´ll stay at that level for a couple of weeks before going deficit level.
    -For the hypertrophy squats, I´ll start from about 30 reps, and go down to 12-16 in same timeline as I get the dead to floor level.

I have a couple of electric knee warmers that I´ve never used, I´ve also thought of using those through the entire leg workouts.
    First I would like to say that 'm far from a knee expert, and currently have some minor little tweaks in my knee as well that I have not entirely figured out.

Personally, if I went to the gym and was schedueled to deadlift that day and my knee hurt, I would try maybe 10-15 minutes more warming up and if my knee still hurt I would say "fuck this I'm going home and letting this heal". lol. I have tried working around injuries in the past and doing things that don't hurt. I feel that this just lets other injuries sneak up and will put weird strains on different areas.

I know it is hard to just stop, but I would highly recommend you stop doing lower body, go get an xray or an MRI, and get on track to healing that knee. What is 2-4 weeks off of deadlifting compared to a torn ACL? 4 weeks is nothing.

just my 2 cents

Comment

Knee problems are tough to me. I've had 2 knee issues in my life, one was getting fucking chop blocked in high school during the state championships, and the other was from over stretching and straining my MCL. To me, it's relatively easy to determine what part of the knee is hurt, then by looking at a diagram and symptoms chart, find out what the culprit could be. Seriously, you spent 3 ours in the gym just warming up? Next time, save yourself and just go home and start resting up. Ice, heat, ice, heat, ice, heat. Pain comes from swelling, ice gets rid of the swelling, heat brings blood to the area, helps heal. If it's something that hurts like a bitch, yes, go see a doctor. If it's a slight pain, and your daily life isn't effected by it, i.e. walking, getting up and down, moving about, it's likely a strain, and an MRI wouldn't help you much anyway, plus unless you've got great insurance, just cost you more than it's worth. Gotta have your knees, and gotta take care of them. One thing a doc could do is give you some Anti-inflammatory meds, or you can just buy some NSAIDS and take to help with swelling. Go get an ice pack, and ACE bandages, wrap it for a bit, then put heat on it.
      …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Working...
      X