5/3/1 Variation for general strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/3/1 Variation for general strength

Needed some input on which 5/3/1 assistance scheme was best for general strength. I figured this would be the best forum for that, even though my strength isn't "applied" for power or Olympic lifting or sports. I just want a strong base which can then be applied for whatever I choose to do.

Which of the templates would work best for this goal in your experience? I.E: Boring but big, triumvirate etc.
    Forgot to add: it doesn't have to be a standard template either. Whatever assistance scheme you think would work best for an intermediate lifter adding strength
    Last edited by ZeroFries; 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM.

I think the difference in assistance schemes is minimal at best. They're all effective. If you're concerned with general strength gain, your best bet is to focus your energy onto the core lifts. The assistance work is just that - assistance.

That being said, I've heard very good things about BBB, and I've had very good results from using the triumvirate (just picking 3 exercises for assistance).
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

I agree with Sammich in BBB really hit home adding some good solid accessory work. You take the main lift, 50% of 1RM and do 5 sets of 10 reps if I remember correctly, don't have the book in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that's it. When I ran 5/3/1 I did BBB template, and also added 1 or 2 other accessory lifts afterwards most of the time, but I also used the "I ain't doing jack shit" template as well. The book is a gold mine for all 5/3/1 questions if you don't already have it, would be worth grabbing it.
      …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Focusing on the core lifts is definitely my main priority. I just checked out the book, and the BBB seems a little high on the volume if I'm going to be doing the routine 4 times a week. I think I'll do 4x8 with 60% of 1RM as the load.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroFries View Post
          Focusing on the core lifts is definitely my main priority. I just checked out the book, and the BBB seems a little high on the volume if I'm going to be doing the routine 4 times a week. I think I'll do 4x8 with 60% of 1RM as the load.
          It's really not THAT high on volume. You would start it not using 50% of your training max, but about 30-40%, because you need to leave room for your body to adjust over time. Then as the weeks and months progress you gradually increase the percentage of your BBB sets.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Sammich is spot on.

I've ran every version of 5/3/1 at one time or another, and in my opinion, the BBB version is the best at giving you a great strength base.

Just for shits and giggles, my former training partner and I once ran our own version of BBB.

here is the normal BBB:

military press - 5/3/1
            military press - 5 x 10
            accessory movement - 5 x 10

deadlifts - 5/3/1
            deadlifts - 5 x 10

flat bench - 5/3/1
            flat bench - 5 x 10

squats - 5/3/1
            squats - 5 x 10

here is what we did:

military press - 5/3/1
            flat bench - 5 x 10
            accessory movement - 5 x 10 - (we did db rows here)

deadlifts - 5/3/1
            squats - 5 x 10
            accessory movement - 5 x 10 - (we did ab wheel rollouts here)

flat bench - 5/3/1
            military press - 5 x 10
            accessory movement - 5 x 10 (we did db rows again)

back squats - 5/3/1
            deadlifts - 5 x 10
            accessory movement - 5 x 10 (we did ab wheel rollouts again)

obviously, all we did was switch the first accessory movements around. nothing Earth shattering, but it made boring but big a little less boring.

5/3/1 is kind of one of those things that you can't screw up. i guess the point i am trying to make, is that in the grand scheme of things, as long as you are patient and push the core lifts, the accessory movement(s) are not that important.
            "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              That being said, I've heard very good things about BBB, and I've had very good results from using the triumvirate (just picking 3 exercises for assistance).
              Isn´t it even just two exercises?

Comment

Well, I am trying the 5/3/1 full body workout, I am on wave 2, right now. It is working well for me, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                  Well, I am trying the 5/3/1 full body workout, I am on wave 2, right now. It is working well for me, so far.
                  my former training partner just finished his first cycle of this version and he absolutely loves it.

keep us posted on your results AJA14.......after my meet is done with in October, I might give this version a try for awhile.
                  "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." - Dr. Suess

Comment

He mentionned recently that if your main movement is going well, you can literally do anything you feel like for accessory. I find the BBB template insanely boring. Sure it works, but have fun.
                    "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      I think the difference in assistance schemes is minimal at best. They're all effective. If you're concerned with general strength gain, your best bet is to focus your energy onto the core lifts. The assistance work is just that - assistance.

I will 2nd that.
                      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                      X