Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at powerlifting...where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at powerlifting...where to start?

Hey guys, been off for a while now, and a friend and I want to start up again. I have pretty much done nothing since April (been playing ball all summer). There is a powerlifting/strongman comp that our city does every year in Aug and we were talking about doing it next year.

I need to get my ass back in the gym, and get started. We aren't looking to set any records, just look respectable. I would like to TRY and get sub 200 weight, so I have about 50 lbs to lose. Is that do-able with PL training?

I am thinking about doing 5x5 for 8 weeks or so to get back into things, or should I just go with 5-3-1 right away as we were talking about it already. And, if so, where is the best place to get the e-book?

Anyhow, new to PL but not lifting.
    Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
    BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

DOOD, fo reelz? Welcome back, if I were you I'd go to the 3 day full body 5-3-1 and get your cardio done
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Here is the link to the full body: http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

Here is the link to the ebook to understand it more if you want:
      http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=2976

There is also one for powerlifting.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

I would recommend 5/3/1 just because it gives you the frequency of the main lifts to practice on and enough assistance work to address weak points or get stronger.

Enough infor is out there on 531 to not need the book, but if you don't have it already then 5/3/1 for powerlifters is a good buy. You can get it from the Elite Fitness store here: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=4126
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick replies all...

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
          DOOD, fo reelz? Welcome back, if I were you I'd go to the 3 day full body 5-3-1 and get your cardio done
          Ya, finally got my fatass up and at it. Ball was fun but its not getting me any skinnier.

Been keeping up a bit on the cardio, but need to get at it more. I managed over the last year to get my weight down to 250 and holding from 280, so that's good, but still badly out of shape lol.

Originally posted by fade View Post
          Here is the link to the full body: http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

Here is the link to the ebook to understand it more if you want:
          http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=2976

There is also one for powerlifting.
          Thanks a bunch fade!

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          I would recommend 5/3/1 just because it gives you the frequency of the main lifts to practice on and enough assistance work to address weak points or get stronger.

Enough infor is out there on 531 to not need the book, but if you don't have it already then 5/3/1 for powerlifters is a good buy. You can get it from the Elite Fitness store here: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=4126
          Thanks Sammich! Will def look into those tonight after work!

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Comment

whats bro-heim??
            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
            17 AAU Super Total
            '16-AAU Hi
            '15-USPA Metro
            '15-USPA State
            '15-AAU HI
            '14-AAU HI
            '14-USPA Metro
            '14-WABDL Sonny's
            '14-USPA State
            '14-HI Strongman
            '13-USPA
            '13-WABDL Sonny's
            '13-USPA State
            '13-AAU HI
            '11-USPA Metro
            '10-NPC Stingrey
            '09-NPC Islands
            '09-NPC Stingrey
            '09-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA IronWorks
            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
            '01-ABA Olympia
            '01-ABA Islands
            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
            '00-INBF Musclefest
            '98-NGA Ill
            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
              whats bro-heim??
              ?

How's it going Truce? long time.

Comment

to be honest if its gonna be a year or so before you compete it really doesn't matter what kind of routine you choose as long as your squatting, benching and pulling. attack your weak spots and start training.

and yes you can get lean while powerlifting. its all about the foods you eat.
                site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post
                  to be honest if its gonna be a year or so before you compete it really doesn't matter what kind of routine you choose as long as your squatting, benching and pulling. attack your weak spots and start training.

and yes you can get lean while powerlifting. its all about the foods you eat.
                  Well, right now they are all weak points LOL. Actually I would say I am strong on deads and squats (for me) and weak on shoulders and chest. Always have been.

I am cutting out all the shit that makes summer so fun, and hunkering down for a good old fashioned clean diet. Lots of greens and proteins. I am pretty carb sensitive, so I try to eat clean carbs like yams, brown/jasmine rice (sigh, and not much of it lol) at least for the first couple months, and make sure I throw in some refeed days here and there.

My big thing is laziness, and I admit it. I have to get to the gym but once I start, I keep it going. Having a training partner is really going to help with this, and I think this is one of the reasons I keep falling off the wagon.

I am working on my program and I will post it up later this week for a quick critique if no one minds.

And I have seen DDG on here a bit, and I will have him know that I WILL be squatting 315 for 20 by xmas!

Comment

Glad to see you around, G. This PL stuff sounds like fun...really enjoy reading some of the journals here.

You know what you have to do, my friend. Just get it done...

-slide
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post
                      Glad to see you around, G. This PL stuff sounds like fun...really enjoy reading some of the journals here.

You know what you have to do, my friend. Just get it done...

-slide
                      Hey Slide, I sure do. I have tomorrow night off (had ball all night tonight) and I have been going through journals and making up my intro workout that I will post and get a critique on. Looking at starting lifting maybe next week, or first week of sept, depends on what kind of playoff schedule I have for ball. Been on the cardio train now and that's really helping things for me right now. I just have to do more lol

Been working with my diet...yum plain tuna lol

Comment

Ok, here is what I have come up with, based on the thread that DDG had started way back...I have to still talk with my friend about it but he is at work for the next week so I have some time to play around with it still.

Basic setup:

Week 1 = 3 sets of 5 reps
                        Week 2 = 3 sets of 3 reps
                        Week 3 = 5/3/1
                        Week 4 = deload, 3 sets of 5 reps

Percentage setup:

Week 1 = 75% x 5 reps , 80% x 5 reps , 85% x 5 reps
                        Week 2 = 80% x 3 reps , 85% x 3 reps , 90% x 3 reps
                        Week 3 = 75% x 5 reps , 85% x 3 reps , 95% x 1 rep
                        Week 4 = deload - 60% x 5 reps , 65% x 5 reps , 70% x 5 reps

WEEK 1
                        MON
                        Military Press
                        DB Inc press - 3-5 @ 6-20
                        DB Power Cleans 3-5 @ 10-25

WED
                        Deadlift
                        Seated leg curls [email protected]
                        Hang leg raises [email protected]

Fri
                        Flat bench
                        HS shoulder press [email protected]
                        Pulldowns [email protected]

WEEK 2
                        Mon
                        Squats
                        Hack squats [email protected]
                        Weighted situps [email protected]

Wed
                        Military Press

Fri
                        Deadlift

Week 3
                        Mon
                        Flat bench

Wed
                        Squats
                        Leg Press [email protected]

Fri
                        Military Press

Week 4
                        Mon
                        Deadlift

Wed
                        Flat bench

Fri
                        Squats
                        Hack squats [email protected]

I know its pretty basic, but its a start. I think I need that right now, to at least get my weights up from pussy mode. I did sub in leg press one day, cause I know my friend likes leg press, and just a bit of variation.

Diet is tough, but I am cutting carbs out as much as I can. Have already started (couple weeks back) and I am further cutting them out. LIke I said, carb sensitive. I usually goto bed around 11-12, so I cut them out around 5-6 depending on when supper is.

Cardio is going pretty good. I am doing walks around the neighborhood rather than going to the gym for now. I have a pulled groin from ball from a few weeks ago, its still sore so walking right now is best. Jogging/sprints are out for now.

Starting next week I will be hitting the gym, and testing out my numbers, looking for a first week in Sept start.

Comment

let her rip and see what happens my man.
                          site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post
                            let her rip and see what happens my man.
                            That's what she said.
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

Comment

DDG........ that guy is an asshole.
                              "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
                              X