liquid chalk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liquid chalk?

I just took a new job as a GM at a gym near San Antonio. I have 2 hours built into my workday by the ownder for lunch and working out, so I will obviously take advantage of the time and do my workouts there... for free. They are smaller, but they have all the needed equipment (Bench, Squat rach, MP stand, DBs, and a decent selection of high quality machines). I haven't asked them yet... but i'm assuming from the cleanliness and what not of the gym that they do not permit the use of chalk (still need to ask for sure).

So my question is have any of you expirimented with liquid chalk? If so, does it work decently well? Are there any other alternatives I could look into that aren't too pricey?

I just don't want my DL to suffer, and being the GM I'm not going to try to sneak the use in like I might if I was just a member.

Thanks for any help.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

I've tried it. While it helps a little, it's nowhere near as effective. Get ready to use some straps, too.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Congrats on the job. perhaps you're in a different position due to being an employee, but I know my gym doesn't "technically" allow chalk, but I use it on the sly. Keep it on a towel, kneel down rub it on, and lift. Some trainers and employees have noticed, but they also see me wiping down the bar with a wet and then a dry cloth to remove the chalk, and they've yet to call me out.

Maybe try the liquid for a while and see how it works. If you don't like it, perhaps by then you will have built more rapport with the owner and he'll let you use it with stipulation you will ensure to clean up after.

Comment

First, congrats!

Secondly, my gym does not permit chalk, per se, however several employees, other lifters and myself all use chalk and we make sure to clean up by wiping dowwn the bar, plates and floor when we are done. A little courtesy with stuff like that can go a long way in terms of you getting what you want. Try telling them you'll do a little extra work like vacuum or something of that nature if they give any resistance.

All the best.

Kris
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I use it and like it a lot!

While no sub for the actual chalk itself, there was a reason why the product is being reviewed for approval in NCAA, MLB and other organizations. Face it, people don't like their clothes all messed up when they grab a bar that some dude has chalked all up and didn't clean off, now it's on their black GASP shirt/pants, etc..
          I know it's been Gold's Gym approved and the members love the stuff. I know the owner/inventor of liquidgrip personally and it's been through the wringer on testing at various sporting events and even non-sporting events where grip is crucial.
          I'm even testing it here where I am and having others try it and they seem to love it.
          My .02cents

-DH
          www.toopumped.net
          7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
          -DH

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to see what they say about the chalk (if i'm clean with it) when I start in a couple weeks. If it's a not go I will have to try out the liquid chalk (some of the reviews I saw were favorable aside form nozzle getting clogged), and if that is crap I will opt for the pricier liquidgrip that DH recommended above.
            -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

I remember Justin Harris recommended no-dust chalkboard chalk just to keep his friend's gym a little tidier. Not too shabadab.
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I can vouch...meshes well with sweat oddly enough.

Comment

I use the liquid chalk, and it is cleaner, but if you are using a machine with rubber/foam handles it will leave a little mark. On a another note I just got sponsored by an equipment company, Maximum Advantage Grip (or MAG for short). I loved their products before and actually did a review with no intention of getting sponsored, but after I did an interview with the owner of the company he called me back and made me an offer. They carry the best pulldown/row bars I have ever used. Not only do they take the need for chalk and wrist straps out of the equation, but they put your arms in a position that automatically engages the lats. You can use just as much weight as you can with straps, but you don't get the wrist strain that accompanies tight wrist wraps. I really love these things. I'll check with Skip and if it's OK to the link for the commercial next week.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I only use the chalk for deadlifting... I don't use any machines currently (aside from seated calf raise) and don't see myself using too many in the future if I can avoid it. I start training next week, so I will just wait and see what the verdict is on the chalk... if it's a no go I will give some of the options mentioned here a go.

Comment

Congrats on the job.

I just joined a new retrofitness gym also...they "said" chalk is ok bit keep it clean.

What brand of liquid chalk is best?
                      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Working...
                      X