Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patella Tendonitis (SammNote: PATELLAR TENDINITIS)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patella Tendonitis (SammNote: PATELLAR TENDINITIS)

    Are there any exercises that will re-stregnthen my Patella Tendon for Big Squats.

    Ive had Patella Tendonitis off and on sice first injurying it playing rugby in 2004. Everynow and then it will twinge and then be weak for a good solid month of light lifting before I can squat heavy again.

    Often I will hurt it on the lighter sets following my heavy sets that I use wraps on.

  • #2
    I'm going through the same. It's rough.
    "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

    "Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

    "You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

    Comment


    • #3
      I have never had Patellar tendonitis but they did take a third of mine out for my ACL reconstruction. Sled dragging seemed to help it recuperate.
      FEAR THE FROG


      Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Exercises + Stretchs

        Are these the right exercises to stregthen knee:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2aix...eature=related

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVIGDqWaU8

        ??

        Comment


        • #5
          When you wrap your knees, make sure to flex the quad hard as you wrap. This will lock the patella in place as you wrap around it, preventing it from mistracking. When the patella tracks outside of the groove in the femur that is made for it, the patellar tendon gets ground against bone, leading to soreness and pain.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            When you wrap your knees, make sure to flex the quad hard as you wrap. This will lock the patella in place as you wrap around it, preventing it from mistracking. When the patella tracks outside of the groove in the femur that is made for it, the patellar tendon gets ground against bone, leading to soreness and pain.
            I always seem to get a flare up in my pattella when i do my down sets/ lighter sets, after doing my heavy sets where i use wraps.

            I only use wraps for 220kg(5plates) and above. How many sets would you usually use wraps in a workout?

            Should i lightly wrap my knees still when i do higher reps sets after my heavy sets.

            I train powerbuilding style for powerlifting and bodybuilding.

            Comment


            • #7
              Can you post up a video of your squat form?
              FEAR THE FROG


              Originally posted by John Broz
              If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bluto View Post
                I always seem to get a flare up in my pattella when i do my down sets/ lighter sets, after doing my heavy sets where i use wraps.

                I only use wraps for 220kg(5plates) and above. How many sets would you usually use wraps in a workout?

                Should i lightly wrap my knees still when i do higher reps sets after my heavy sets.

                I train powerbuilding style for powerlifting and bodybuilding.
                I would recommend getting some open-paella knee sleeves to wear while doing all leg training. Those have helped my knees immensely.

                If wrapping lightly on your lighter sets prevents the pain then I think using the wraps is a good idea. But you might also want to examine how you wrap your knees for your heavy sets. If you use tight wraps, then that can prevent the patella from tracking correctly. Thus you might be hurting your knees before your lighter sets, but just only feeling it when you remove the wraps. Just a thought.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

                Comment


                • #9
                  i have patellefemoral chondromalacia and had severe pain on on the inside of the knee and kneecaps! the 1st thing my ortho suggested and worked like a charm was getting custom made orthotics (for my high arches). Of course reducing the high impact stuff, strengthening the quads (medial), osteo bi-flex and ice after heavy leg work were things that helped.

                  i also found that the more i pounded my knees with squatting (wrapped/unwrapped) and hacks the worse it got. So i've had to cut out hacks, change the frequency of squats (every other week) and include leg extensions. Of course, this still causes some wear and tear, if the crushing paper sound in my knees is an indicator, but the pain and burning i no longer experience as badly, since now orthotics are due to be changed.
                  2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
                  2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
                  2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
                  2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
                  2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
                  2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shankuan View Post
                    i have patellefemoral chondromalacia and had severe pain on on the inside of the knee and kneecaps! the 1st thing my ortho suggested and worked like a charm was getting custom made orthotics (for my high arches). Of course reducing the high impact stuff, strengthening the quads (medial), osteo bi-flex and ice after heavy leg work were things that helped.

                    i also found that the more i pounded my knees with squatting (wrapped/unwrapped) and hacks the worse it got. So i've had to cut out hacks, change the frequency of squats (every other week) and include leg extensions. Of course, this still causes some wear and tear, if the crushing paper sound in my knees is an indicator, but the pain and burning i no longer experience as badly, since now orthotics are due to be changed.
                    Hmm, I am in just the opposite boat. Squatting daily makes my knees feel like a million bucks. If I do leg extensions with any weight at all, it is near crippling. They called my chondromalaica tricompartmental (whatever that means).

                    Seriously, when I started squatting deeply as often as possible, my knees improved tremendously. Now, every day for a warm-up atleast, I squat the bar to the bottom.
                    FEAR THE FROG


                    Originally posted by John Broz
                    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I recently got ART done for this. I didn't he would be able to help, but he losened the bottom of my quad and all the way up on the outside and it feels MUCH better.

                      He also recommended a product called Traumeel 3 x day.

                      Now, mind you, I have not squatted yet, and don't think I will until my knee wraps come in.

                      I will update.
                      "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

                      "Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

                      "You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was thinking about using a patella strap for all workouts except leg days to see if it might help my patellar tendonitis by reducing stress on the tendon. Has anyone here used one of these before?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LandryP View Post
                          I recently got ART done for this. I didn't he would be able to help, but he losened the bottom of my quad and all the way up on the outside and it feels MUCH better.

                          He also recommended a product called Traumeel 3 x day.

                          Now, mind you, I have not squatted yet, and don't think I will until my knee wraps come in.

                          I will update.

                          I heard good.things about traumeel

                          Sent from my DROIDX
                          [http://www.truenutrition.com

                          -discount code: ADA774-



                          Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                          Save 5% on all orders.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Corrected the thread title because it's been making me have seizures for THREE MONTHS
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm not familiar with Traumeel. I see it's sold online as oral tablets & liquid drops, and as topical ointment & gel. Would the topical be best for patellar tendinitis?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X