Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53greystreet
    replied
    We use bands in a variety of ways. All the stretching movements that can be done with them are fantastic.

Here is how we apply them for each lift

Squat-

Reverse Bands, we use this method the most when it comes to bands. We use them in the style Big Iron does. After the heaviest set of free weight squats we will add the average bands and 50 lbs to the bar for a double. Then we add another 50 lbs and do a single. We only use this method for 2 weeks in a row, then a week off. We usually get 4-5 reverse band days in when peaking for a meet. That is for our geared lifters. For raw lifters we will use the light bands and the jumps will be 25 and 50 lbs instead of 50 and 100. I believe that has much more applicable carryover. We use this method preparing for every meet.

Occasionally we will do a 3 week wave of squatting against bands but not something we do preparing for every meet.

Bench-

We use the reverse band method in the same manner as squats except we use a doubled monster mini band.

We rarely bench against bands. Same as squats every once in a while we will do a 3 week wave against bands, either full range raw with light weight or heavy weight in a shirt off a 3BD working the lockout

Deadlift-

Pretty much the opposite of the other 2 lifts. We pull against quad mini bands quite often and it has been very helpful for all of our lifters.

We sometimes will hit some reverse band deadlifts for overloading the lockout. A nice little set up we do is after the normal deadlift sets we add reverse strong bands. We hang them from a safety pin about 68 inches off the floor. We do not choke the bands, simply one end around the safety pin, one end around the bar. This makes it so the bar completely comes out of the band for about the last 4 inches. We also drape 2 chains over the bar to really force the lifter to jam the lockout. We do 2 of these overload singles, the first 25 lbs over the top set and then another with 50 lbs over.

Leave a comment:

• DuckDuckGoose
    replied
    Originally posted by LandryP View Post
    Before alot of people run out and buy bands...

I've squatted and benched w bands and it didn't do shit. My bes GAINS ever have occured by just doing more of the basics with straight weight.

I hate to bring up the tired argument of "not being ready for DC", one could say the same about accomodating resistance. Save the big guns for when you approach ( let's say, arbitrary number here ) 500 raw bench.

But yes, they add nice variety for assistance and stretching.

That's my opinion on bands.
    I agree with Landry.

Bands always worked best for me as a warmup tool or when I was using them for fluff stuff and or on my easy days..... i.e. band pushdowns, band good mornings, band assisted chinups, band face pulls, band pull aparts, etc. etc. I think they are a great way to warm up and they are awesome for high rep stuff done on days where you just don't feel like training, or you just want to take it easy. I always got more out of band work when using them in this method.

More of the basics with straight weight has always trumped band work, when it comes to my own training.

I also agree that bands should probably be thrown in when someone is already hitting some good numbers. If a person is benching 135 pounds, I see no reason why they should be benching with bands. Now if someone hits a 405 bench and there bench hasn't moved in year.... then maybe it's time to bring in something different and introduce band work into the routine.

Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• DCBliever
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm a huge fan of them (and chains).....but for the right people. I'm with you on this one man. I've only ever used short bands on my deadlifts. I have tried it on bench, and never on squat...and just didn't feel like I was at the point that I really needed them or that it was optimal.

However, for other things like facepulls, rehab work, maybe add them to some machines as guys have been recommending lately, they're great. Reverse bands on squats may be the next addition to band work for me.

Accomodating resistance definitely has its place, but I think people should be cautious and take the time to make sure they're read [what you were saying]. I agree.
    I ADDED IN REVERSE BAND BENCHES THE OTHER DAY AFTER MY MAIN BENCH MOVEMENT AND MY CHEST AND TRI'S HAVE NEVER BEEN AS SORE. Sorry about caps but that's what I use on my drawings at work,lol.

Leave a comment:

• DaveGabe24
    replied
    Originally posted by LandryP View Post

I've squatted and benched w bands and it didn't do shit. My bes GAINS ever have occured by just doing more of the basics with straight weight.

I hate to bring up the tired argument of "not being ready for DC", one could say the same about accomodating resistance. Save the big guns for when you approach ( let's say, arbitrary number here ) 500 raw bench.

I'll be honest, I'm a huge fan of them (and chains).....but for the right people. I'm with you on this one man. I've only ever used short bands on my deadlifts. I have tried it on bench, and never on squat...and just didn't feel like I was at the point that I really needed them or that it was optimal.

However, for other things like facepulls, rehab work, maybe add them to some machines as guys have been recommending lately, they're great. Reverse bands on squats may be the next addition to band work for me.

Accomodating resistance definitely has its place, but I think people should be cautious and take the time to make sure they're read [what you were saying]. I agree.

Leave a comment:

• LandryP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveGabe24
    replied
    Originally posted by Future View Post
    My thought was more preschool science. As the band is stretched its tighter which is great for lockout etc. When the band retracts its looser with less tension which is great for shoulders in pressing movements and the back in pulling/squat movements. And some is just what I experienced but have set a record in injuries I might recant my abilities.
    This is essentially what makes the so valuable. As you gain leverage in your lift the bands accommodate to such and increase tension. This is what gives the full range of motion and equal amount of weight relative to leverage.

Just so everyone knows, EFS is having a sale on their short bands right now. As the bands get heavier the % off goes up ! So for all you strong mofos, now's the time to save lol

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    My thought was more preschool science. As the band is stretched its tighter which is great for lockout etc. When the band retracts its looser with less tension which is great for shoulders in pressing movements and the back in pulling/squat movements. And some is just what I experienced but have set a record in injuries I might recant my abilities.

Leave a comment:

• Sammich
    replied
    Just a warning though for any raw lifters in here...bands on bench are quick way to overtrain. E
    Originally posted by Future View Post
    And you base this on what? Why would chains not lead to overtraining but bands would? I absolutely refute that.
    For a newer kid with a bench under 300lbs, the bands will lead to overtraining faster than chains imo.
    I hate to inject actual scientific thought in here, but I'm just pointing out your argument boils down to "because I think so." That is what we call "broscience". I understand what you're saying, but it's the logical process I'm objecting to.

Using bands wouldn't cause overtraining due to enhanced negatives since you can't arrive at the eccentric portion unless you complete the concentric. If you can lift it, you can lower it. That's no different than using a straight weight. The only difference is the resisting force increases with the distance moved, but like I said, that's not really an "enhanced" negative since it's not like the resistance magically appears on the eccentric. It is in no way comparable to something like forced negatives, which can play a big role in overtraining.

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    This is from EFS:

http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTU...ands/bands.jpg

Hope that helps some. The chains load as a constant because it is simply weight added and will only reverse at the rate of speed caused by gravity. Bands can exceed this speed because of their tensile properties which explains the ability of the band to return to its original shape when the force causing the deformation is removed.

Hope this helps, I'm no physics expert myself, so if it just confused you further I apologize lol
    Thank you. Still if it makes you stronger do it I guess. Chains, monos and rev hypers would be great to use but.....I "got" bubkus.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
    I was kind thinking that but it seems the way it is worded that the elasticity of the bands would not load as constant as the chains. Am I reading what was written incorrectly?
    Not my best explanation.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Jared Ragsdale
    replied
    I think I will be buying the EliteFTS band pack sometime this next offseason and start implementing a little bit with that. I'm curious to see how the difference is in training.

Leave a comment:

• DaveGabe24
    replied
    I was kind thinking that but it seems the way it is worded that the elasticity of the bands would not load as constant as the chains. Am I reading what was written incorrectly?
    This is from EFS:

http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTU...ands/bands.jpg

Hope that helps some. The chains load as a constant because it is simply weight added and will only reverse at the rate of speed caused by gravity. Bands can exceed this speed because of their tensile properties which explains the ability of the band to return to its original shape when the force causing the deformation is removed.

Hope this helps, I'm no physics expert myself, so if it just confused you further I apologize lol

Leave a comment:

• JohnCaesar
    replied
    Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
    Could be referring to the constant of elasticity

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    Could you elaborate on this statement?
    Plus Dave Tate said so...

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    Correct

Leave a comment:

Working...