Coaching ques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching ques

As i'm new to PL and at the end of my 3rd wave of 5/3/1 (on my deload week) I don't have a coach or anything, and I know there are a lot to the lifts as far as technique is involved. I really try to focus on the technical aspects during my deload week when it's easy to think about. Here are the ques i've been trying to use for the lifts, please feel free to critique or add.

Squat:

squeeze bar
    Pinch shoulder blades together (bar sitting on lower portion of traps)
    drive head/neck back into the bar
    push stomach out (holding breath)
    Chest out
    spread the floor with your feet (driving with your hips and glutes? this is the one que that i've heard but don't really feel or get)

Bench:
    Arch back hard
    squeeze bar
    pinch shoulder blades together
    Bring bar just below the sternum pushing your belly out to meet the bar on the descent
    Try to bend the bar (tucking the elbows on the descent)
    On the ascent keep tight, stabilizing/driving with your legs and trying to spread/pull the bar apart

Deadlift:
    I really don't have much clue for ques on this... I pull from a conventional stance, I remember there was a thread on here a while ago, but I can't remember the title.

I typically set up with my feet shoulder width or slightly closer, hands just outside my knees.

I know to get set up with your feet, grip the bar, and have some tension on the bar (taking out the slack) the to drive through the middle/heal of the foot with your legs pulling the bar back into you. I also believe you want to get set up with your shoulders directly over the bar?

I do all my lifting completely raw, no straps, wraps or belt if that matters.

Thanks for any help or links.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

On the deadlift, you can reference your feet spacing using the line on the bar. Personally I line the middle of my shoes between the smooth and knurling, second take a big breath at the top pushing your stomach into the belt, tighten the core, lats, and legs then grip drop your ass and rip. When the bar is almost knee height start squeezing your hams and glutes as tight as you can bringing your hips to the bar asap while throwing the head back (controlled head movement). Don't sit at the bottom more than 2-3 seconds. Bad example: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=4qXbp2iXVyk..... Good examples: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=XlttdFmuceg and http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=p_mX8jtZBbk. Let me know what you think, just felt inclined to say something as the deadlift is my favorite and self fulfilling lifts.
    2010 USPF Push/Pull 198 Winner
    2010 USAPL AZ State 198 Open Raw Champion
    2010 USPF State Championships- Open 2nd place 198
    2011 USPF Region 7 198 Open Champion
    2011 USPF AZ RAWPower 198 Open Winner
    MPC Labs Sponsored Athlete

Comment

Thanks for the pointers on the deadlift... I've read a few articles on bench ans squat technique but haven't seen as much on the deadlift...
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

As far as lists go, that is pretty solid. It would be easier for me if I could see some video of your lifts as I shout different things to each of my lifters depending on what they need.

Another for squats you may want to add is pulling your elbows under the bar, this goes along with chest up and out and makes a big difference on max weight.

MPCwatts hit it with throwing your head back for the lockout on deadlift.

MPC, where do you train? We are also in AZ and have a private powerlifting facility.
        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Ive always focused on punching the hips and this cycle finally smartened up to throw the head back to complete the lever, definitely taken the dead a long way in short time. I'm in Tucson at LA Fitness and YMCA, I know definitely not hardcore. When I trained at Power and Physique Systems there was never anyone there with the same goals in mind. I'm up for traveling to train w motivated, goal oriented, hardcore powerlifters. Let me know if I can check you guys out

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
            As far as lists go, that is pretty solid. It would be easier for me if I could see some video of your lifts as I shout different things to each of my lifters depending on what they need.

Another for squats you may want to add is pulling your elbows under the bar, this goes along with chest up and out and makes a big difference on max weight.

Thanks, I acutally do try to pull my elbows under the bar too... though I feel like the barbell sort of slides further down my back sometimes (I don't chalk my back as I lift by myself), but I suppose that wouldn't be as much of an issue on a one rep max as opposed to the multiple reps i'm doing with 5/3/1. I will try to get my wife to come with me over the next few weeks and take some video of me to post.

Comment

Chalk shirt before putting it on, I do this all the time, it works great. With your size you will have a great shelf to hold the bar, find the perfect spot and it shouldn't slide
              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

When I first saw someone chalk the back of their shirt, I honestly thought it was kind of stupid and wouldn't do much to keep the bar in place. It really makes a huge difference. Now I do it every time I squat.
                It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Thanks guys, I will start chalking the shirt for sure. Does it have the same benefit on the bench press... particularly on a standard commercial gym bench?

Comment

I've seen guys use it, if your sliding and it's preventing you from holding the arch, throw some chalk on!

Comment

5 Coaching Cues
                      Sit back, keep your weight on your heels
                      Chest up
                      Touch your chest
                      Keep the bar close to your body