Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy dumbbells necessary for Powerlifters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy dumbbells necessary for Powerlifters?

I was just wondering if heavy dumbbells were necessary for Powerlifters if they wanted to see optimal gains. I'm deciding between joining a gym with dumbbells up to 200 lbs which is more expensive ($30/month) or a gym with dumbbells only up 120 lbs but is only $20/month. Only thing I can think of with heavy dumbbells is a switch up in pressing exercises, dumbbell rows, shurgs, and farmer's walk. Both have power racks and everything is pretty much the same except the increase in weights of the dumbbells. Which one would you pick?

ask yourself how often you'll be using the 200's...
    - Press On !

Comment

I can shurg the 200 pounders and do rows with them, but that's about it. I think as noted by =S1K there, is that how often do you think you will be using db's over 120 pounds?

On the flip side, if they have db's to 200 pounds, you are prolly going to be training around guys much stronger than you which IMO is good. 6 on one hand, half a dozen on the other.

Comment

^^yup, those are the important factors, not the price. if you think you will EVER use the 200's at least once or twice a month, then pay the extra $10 a month, if you think you won't even touch them for the next year or so, save the extra $10, and go with the $20/month membership.

Comment

Heavy dumbell work is important and I would pay the extra ten spot just to have them in my arsenal.
          Hercules Gym, Syracuse New York

Comment

Originally posted by Liftin'heavy
            Heavy dumbell work is important and I would pay the extra ten spot just to have them in my arsenal.

Only if your strong enough to lift 'em ! ...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that both gyms are probably pretty good gyms...seeing as the trend now a days in the commercial gym industry is to not have db's over 70 pounds.

So if the gym has 200's or even 120's..their ahead of the average homo gym <not that there's anything wrong with homo's..lol>
            - Press On !

Comment

if 200's are the biggest, 120's seem small, if 120's are the heaviest they seem big. A bit of armchair psychology for you there.
              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Seems like most of you do think that heavy dumbbells are beneficial if you can lift them. I just moved to the northern part of town and needed a new gym. The previous one I went to was Muscle System and they also had dumbbells up to 200 lbs. The only thing I've ever used them for was shurgs. I've gone up to the 180's on db rows. Highlest I've db press was the 140's. I like dumbbells once in a while but I mainly try to stick to barbells. Just wanted to see if saving $120 a year is worth it if I had to sacrifice heavy db work but I guess I'll be going with the gym that has heavier dumbbells. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by pjr

On the flip side, if they have db's to 200 pounds, you are prolly going to be training around guys much stronger than you which IMO is good. 6 on one hand, half a dozen on the other.

We have dumbells up to 250, their still aren't many strong guys at my gym, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jcp2
                    We have dumbells up to 250, their still aren't many strong guys at my gym, lol.
                    250 lbs!!! Have you ever seen anyone used those bad boys? Are they the prostyle dumbbells with the standard 10 lbs? I'd imagine they'd be made of solid steel or bigger plates because the 200 lb prostyles are already pretty damn long.

Comment

Originally posted by Traps59
                      250 lbs!!! Have you ever seen anyone used those bad boys? Are they the prostyle dumbbells with the standard 10 lbs? I'd imagine they'd be made of solid steel or bigger plates because the 200 lb prostyles are already pretty damn long.

They are 12.5's. They were made for Ronnie. I really need to take a pic of them, they are huge. i work out at Strong and Shapely in Rutherford NJ, it is a famous bodybuilding gym in Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by jcp2
                        They are 12.5's. They were made for Ronnie. I really need to take a pic of them, they are huge. i work out at Strong and Shapely in Rutherford NJ, it is a famous bodybuilding gym in Jersey.
                        Oh, Ronnie trains there too. I thought he was at MetroFlex. Other than Ronnie, I haven't seen anyone else on video who can bench press the 200 db. Sounds like a hardcore gym, you should get some pix in sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Traps59
                          Oh, Ronnie trains there too. I thought he was at MetroFlex. Other than Ronnie, I haven't seen anyone else on video who can bench press the 200 db. Sounds like a hardcore gym, you should get some pix in sometime.

No, his girlfriend alfie, i think her name is trains thier. I have not seen him, Bob Bonham owns the gym, he is friends with all the pro's. Supposedly ronnie used to come in, i have never seen him.

Comment

i stick to the really heavy shit and power lifting stuff to bars... and the higher rep bodybuilding training to dumbells... plus u said u only use the 200s for shrugs anyway... however, u said u can press the 140s and row the 180s, if thats so, and the other gym only goes to 120lbs, i think u have your answer right there... go heavy or go home baby...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman55
                              i stick to the really heavy shit and power lifting stuff to bars... and the higher rep bodybuilding training to dumbells... plus u said u only use the 200s for shrugs anyway... however, u said u can press the 140s and row the 180s, if thats so, and the other gym only goes to 120lbs, i think u have your answer right there... go heavy or go home baby...
                              Yes, I did say that but I wanted to know if they were really necessary. I know that saving money on membership is based on my needs. However hypothetically, if two powerlifters were very similar in terms of lifestyle, work ethics, etc and the only thing that was really different is that one gets to train with heavier dumbbells and the other only had access to train with dumbbells in which his limits surpasses then would the one who trains with the heavier dumbbells have a slight advantage being that dumbbells can supposedly be a good form of assistant work for improving strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X