POWERLIFTING TOPIC - the Bench Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWERLIFTING TOPIC - the Bench Press

Figured this would be a good place to keep all things bench press related. Will get one going for Squat and Deadlift as well but lets start with the bench. Let's keep this discussion open to all things - training splits, technique, accessory work, etc...

I currently train (and have for many years) conjugate so I bench 2X per week - 1 max effort and 1 dynamic effort or repetition effort.

Max Effort - I rotate exercises weekly (changing bars, boards, bands or chains) and keep a running log of my best #s to beat them down the road. Max Effort often entails a max single, but doesn't always have to - you are looking for 3-4 reps above 90%. And don't forget to get some volume in on the way up!

Dynamic Effort - I run 3 week waves of 50, 55, and 60% (of raw 1RM on that particular bar) and use 25-40% band or chain accommodating resistance. Reps are 9X3 or 5X5 and run on short rest. After a 3 week wave I will change out my bar or change my accommodating resistance.

Accessory work: arguably MORE important that the main lifts themselves - too many guys miss the boat here and simply spend their entire workout maxing out or doing their speed work. This is the time to address weak points, build a bulletproof back, triceps, etc. basically similar to bodybuilding but I think more of addressing the chain of events in a bench press and addressing the levers and muscles involved that way instead of breaking down to each bodypart.

Any questions or feedback or whatever lets chat!

Thanks for sharing your views with us here. I am also GYM freak so i want to workout daily ...

Comment

Hope to one day bench again, I miss it. (rotator tear / impingement).

Comment

Thank you for posting that. I look forward to whatever additional info/insight you share. Being relatively new to raw strength focused training (as opposed to strength purely for the sake of hypertrophy, a la DC, FT), I am eager to learn. It's fascinating what you say about accessory work being arguably more important than the main lifts. The majority of my experience is using 531, and Wendler loves to point out that people overthink/over-emphasize accessory work, but I imagine that is because he has a lot of inexperienced people asking questions about something that is individual and evolves as a person becomes more advanced. Such as a person needs a certain level of strength to have weaknesses. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
          Thank you for posting that. I look forward to whatever additional info/insight you share. Being relatively new to raw strength focused training (as opposed to strength purely for the sake of hypertrophy, a la DC, FT), I am eager to learn. It's fascinating what you say about accessory work being arguably more important than the main lifts. The majority of my experience is using 531, and Wendler loves to point out that people overthink/over-emphasize accessory work, but I imagine that is because he has a lot of inexperienced people asking questions about something that is individual and evolves as a person becomes more advanced. Such as a person needs a certain level of strength to have weaknesses. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
          when I worked with a PL coach a few years back, we spent quite a bit of time on accessory work leading up to it. I fortunately have pretty good overall balance so it wasn't too much of an uphill battle. my extra work was centered around shoulder/tri work and then basic bi work to keep them healthy for deadlifting. I had pretty weak grip strength from using straps for so long so we centered a lot around my grip too. fun stuff tho! I was going to hire him to work with again prior to the world ending
          "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
          ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Noticing my post here from 2 months ago where I still couldnt bench, and after 10 months of no benching since tear/impingement, I can safely do it again, albeit with child weights, but still, it feels good. I did some normal sets of 3 this AM w/ 225 and felt good. (Need to take it very slow when it comes to adding weight). I then did 4 of 3 sets with multi-grip bar, only 255 lbs, but again, will take it slow. Must be the Skip/Intense shirt thats helping, ever since I got it Ive been healing up. (Plus the bpc-157 run may have helped).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnZkUeAqB-/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnZkUeAqB-/">

Comment

This might be anecdotal but I think hypertrophy pays off much on the bench press vs. squat and deadlift. I recall back when I was obsessed with getting strong my SQ and DL would increase via programming and I think that lead to neurological capacity going up, essentially. But with BENCH the only way to overcome the inevitable wall was for me to pack on size in the delts, back, triceps, etc.
              The promotion of the training methods used by drug-assisted and genetically giften men wreaks havoc, despite these men being presented as demigods in the bodybuilding world. Sure they have inspired millions, but at the same time they have misled millions; and their "intruction" has robbed millions of people of the best training years of their lives.
              -Stuart McRobert

Comment

I’m a delt bencher, and I’ve never been able to grow my chest. My bench goes how my OHP and upper back strength grows. If I could unlock the secret to chest strength...
                You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Multi ply bencher here. Our team benches on Tuesday. It's always in a shirt. Most of the time it is with accommodating resistance and to boards. After that we drop the AR and work touches. Our touches are mostly in the form of doubles and triples where we try to touch the last rep.

On Friday, we actually got away from dynamic work and just turned it into a bodybuilding type day where we hammer shoulders, lats, and triceps. This has worked wonders for everyone in our crew.

We deload every 3rd or 4th week since we are in the shirt and in squat/dl gear every week.
                  Last edited by grammo13; 05-31-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grammo13 View Post
                    Multi ply bencher here. Our team benches on Tuesday. It's always in a shirt. Most of the time it is with accommodating resistance and to boards. After that we drop the AR and work touches. Our touches are mostly in the form of doubles and triples where we try to touch the last rep.

On Friday, we actually got away from dynamic work and just turned it into a bodybuilding type day where we hammer shoulders, lats, and triceps. This has worked wonders for everyone in our crew.

We deload deload 3rd or 4th week since we are in the shirt and in squat/dl gear every week.
                    I’m with this. I could not comp bench for a month and just do tricep, delt and back work and come back and bench more. For me benching /= a great bench press.
                    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Working...
                    X