Sparky's Power Cycle Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparky's Power Cycle Journal

In preparation for future shows, I'll be cycling through Power, Mass, and Cut Cycles. Here's how I define them....

Power - Focus on heavy compound lifts, lower repetition range

Mass - Focus on moderate to heavy weight, higher repetitions. Try to recruit as much muscle fiber as possible. I will employ quite a bit of downsets in this cycle. I'll warmup, then go heavy and breakdown. This approach will hammer fast twitch muscle fiber first, and then continue to recruit other muscle fibers as the weight decreases and the fast twitch muscle get exhausted.

Cut - this will be a shorter cycle focused on low to moderate weight and very high repetitions. I will be doing quite a bit of supersets and tri-sets. The focus will be maximum intensity and blood flow. The hope is to improve the "hardness" and vascularity of muscle tissue.
    Last edited by Sparky; 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM.

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky

Hmm.. sounds like something i've seen before.. take a look at this link, dunno if you've seen it before but from what i'm reading, does has its similarities..

http://www.chadnicholls.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=1120
    Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

The difference I think is the duration...

Power Cycle - 6-8 weeks
      Mass Cycle - 6-8 weeks
      Cut Cycle - 2-4 weeks

I will probably go 6 weeks, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and repeat

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Comment

Week 1 - Power Cycle

Notes
        I felt quite weak today at the gym. I'm allowing myself a free day again on Sunday's and I ate like a pig. I was just about sick this morning. I'm going to get back on track with my nutrition today. I will have a free day, but that day will be a bit more reasonable than the "Sunday Masacre"...

Supplements
        Phosphagen XT
        Multivitamin, B6, C, E
        Glutamine
        ZMA
        Trying Tribulus

Training

Deadlifts - 3 sets
        Close Grip Pulldown - 4 sets
        Cable Curl - 3 sets
        T-Bar Row - 3 sets
        Alternate Curl - 4 sets

Comment

Sparky: I recently tried Tribulus and didn't like it as much as Yohimbe. Not sure if you can take both but Yohimbe is really cheap. Give it a whirl.
          COLORADO NPC CONTEST SCHEDULE, RESULTS AND PICTURES
          www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

Week 1, Day 2 - Power Cycle

Notes
            I felt much better after my food binge hangover was done. Had a great workout.

Supplements
            Phosphagen XT
            Multivitamin, B6, C, E
            Glutamine
            ZMA
            Tribulus

Training
            Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets (1 warmup, 2 heavy)
            Single Leg Calf Raise - 3 sets (moderate weight)
            Calf Press - 1 down set #12 plate, 70 reps
            Decline Bench Situp w/10# medicine ball - 30 reps, 20 reps
            Ab Crunch Machine - 3 sets (moderate to heavy)
            Side Bends - 30 sets (moderate weight)
            Oblique Crunch - 1 set of 30
            Floor Crunch - 1 set of 30

Comment

Week 1, Day 3 - Power Cycle

Notes
              Good workout but I'm struggling on squats. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or a physical thing. When I get near my 6 rep max, I am very tentative. Everything else looked really good. It seems my body is responding very well to the additional calories and the heavy training.

Supplements
              Phosphagen XT
              Multivitamin, B6, C, E
              Glutamine
              ZMA
              Tribulus

Training
              Warmup - 5 minutes stationary bike
              Squats - 4 sets (1 warmup, 3 heavy)*
              Str. Leg Deadlift - 3 sets*
              Unilateral Leg Press - 3 sets
              Leg Curl - 3 sets**
              Leg Extension - 3 sets*
              Cooldown - 10 minutes stationary bike

* Increased weight
              ** Increased reps

Comment

One more note.... I am spending more time in the gym than I'd like. I'd like to be out in an hour. I'm wondering if I should do a) reduce the number of exercises, or b) reduce the number of sets or c) increase pace

Comment

Ghost,

I think I'll try tribulus for one round and see if it does any good. If not, I might try your suggestion. To be completely honest, I'm thinking about not using anything like Tribulus in the future. It was a spur of the moment decision.

I think I'll probably stick to...
                  1) protein supplements and shakes
                  2) ZMA - actually seemed to help
                  3) creatine
                  4) Vitamins
                  5) NO2 like product
                  6) Glutamine (Glutamine is my favorite of them all)

Spark

Comment

Cool, I didn't like Tribulus by itself but you may be different.

I got the idea for Yohimbe from Randy (Homononucleus) in an article entitled "Water loss without drugs" on Professional Muscle.

My wife takes Yohimbe too and it ripped her up pretty good. A lot of folks in the gym though she was on a mild cycle. : )
                    COLORADO NPC CONTEST SCHEDULE, RESULTS AND PICTURES
                    www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

Week 2, Day 10 - Power Cycle

Notes
                      So far so good. I seem to be progressing inch by inch. I'm not at my highs from earlier this year. I'm trying to grow into the big poundages with gradual weight increases and strict form.

I think around the June time frame I'm going to have another DXA scan and see how my lean body mass is coming along. If I've put on 6-8 lbs of muscle, I'll be happy. I know that will be very difficult. My hope is that good nutrition and solid training, I'll have a shot at it.

In the past I've had disparaging remarks about the elliptical trainer. However, I've found it to be a nice, low impact variation for cardio. I can work my legs and calves fairly well (nothing like the stair machine or the treadmill). What I like the best is that I can work my back. Part of the exercise involves a rowing motion. If you have the resistance up, and force your upper body to do more work, I think it helps sculpt your back. I was told that my back was one of the most, if not the most detailed in the show.

Supplements
                      Phosphagen XT
                      Multivitamin, B6, C, E
                      Glutamine
                      ZMA
                      Tribulus (trying for one month)

Training (back/biceps/light cardio)
                      Warmup - 6 minutes elliptical trainer
                      Deadlift - 3 sets*
                      Rev. Grip Pulldown - 3 sets*
                      Bent Over Barbell Row - 2 sets (soreness in left forearm - tendonitis?)
                      Barbell Curls - 3 sets
                      Concentration Curl - 3 sets
                      Cardio - 15 minutes elliptical trainer

*Increased weight (all other exercises I have not baselined yet)

Comment

Additional note... for the past 2 1/2 years I've trained 6 days a week. I'm now cutting back to 4 days lifting and an additional day of light cardio. I have few reasons for this. First, I'm almost 41 years old and I think my body needs more time to recover and grow. Second, I want to conserve some of my energy to further promote that growth. I also get more sleep this way. I think this last year I didn't get nearly enough sleep and it cost me. Finally, I feel like the off season is a good time to enjoy the family, because when contest prep starts, it's awfully difficult to do all the things you'd like to do with them.

Spark
                        Last edited by Sparky; 11-29-2004, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Week 2, Day 11 - Power Cycle

Notes
                          Today I did calves, abdominals, and light cardio. Following my plan, I increased weight on on all exercises. Based on how things went today, I think it will be very hard to move up on any of my calf exercises. I was strained to the max trying to get my reps out. In fact, the latter part of each set, I'm not sure I got a full range of motion. So, I think that means I should use the same weight until I get clean reps out.

The opposite was true with my abdominal exercises. I pushed each exercise further and I was up to the task.

Finally, I ran on the treadmill on an incline. As I ran I increased the incline from 2.5% to 10%. I only ran for 8 minutes but I got my heart rate up and my legs burning. Mission accomplished.

I'm seeing noticeable changes in mass. I attribute some of this to fat, some to creatine, and some to progress.

Supplements
                          Phosphagen XT
                          Multivitamin, B6, C, E
                          Glutamine
                          ZMA

Training (calves/abs/light cardio)
                          Seated Calf - 3 sets*
                          Single Leg Calf - 3 sets*
                          Calf Press - #13x65 reps*
                          Crunch Machine - 3 sets*
                          Hanging Leg Raise - 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps
                          Oblique Crunch - 30 reps, 30 reps, 30 reps
                          Cardio - 8 minutes incline treadmill (6-6.5 mph)

*Increased weight

Comment

Week 2, Day 12 - Power Cycle

Notes
                            Going through a power cycle is already paying dividends. Each workout I try to beat the log book and have done fairly well so far. I am especially happy to see my strength improving for squats. I was pushing a weight today that has been a mental barrier for me. All I did was get a spot and I blasted out 8 good reps. I've switched to unilateral leg press as well. I'm sick of loading up the leg press with 20-25 plates. Besides, I've found that I have an imbalance in the strength of my legs. In 2003 I broke my right leg (at the knee), broke my ankle, and tore my ACL. That leg lags a bit.

Overall today's effort in the gym was decent.

Supplements
                            Phosphagen XT
                            Multivitamin, B6, C, E
                            Glutamine
                            ZMA

Training (quads/hamstrings)
                            Squats - 4 sets*
                            Str. Leg Deadlift - 3 sets*
                            Unilateral Leg Press - 3 sets**
                            Leg Curl - 3 sets*
                            Leg Extension - 3 sets*

* Increased weight and/or repetitions
                            ** No change in weight or repetitions

Comment

Week 2, Day 13 - Power Cycle

Notes
                              Decent day at the gym. Decided to make the shift from barbell bench to dumbbell bench. I normally mix things up, but I think I'll do dumbbells exclusively for a while. For some reason, even if my form is good, barbell bench press bothers my shoulders. I know that this is a common problem. For me it seems to come and go.

Be prepared to be unimpressed -- here are my highs as they stand (not all time highs, but where I am currently).

Dumbbell Bench Press - 95s x 6
                              Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 85 x 6
                              Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 70s x 8
                              Barbbell Squats - 315 x 8
                              Dumbbell Shrugs - 100s x 8
                              Straight Leg Deadlift - 255 x 10
                              Preacher Curl - 100 x 6 (?)
                              Skull Crushers - 100 x 8

Most of the other lifts are on machines and quoting weights won't really tell you anything.

Supplements
                              Phosphagen XT
                              Multivitamin, B6, C, E
                              Glutamine
                              ZMA

Training (chest/tricpes/shoulders)

Dumbbell Bench Press - 4 sets*
                              Dumbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets*
                              Skull Crushers - 3 sets*
                              Cable Crossover - 3 sets*
                              Dumbbell Shrugs - 3 sets*
                              Front Raise - 2 sets***
                              Rev. Machine Fly - 3 sets***

* Increased weight and/or repetitions
                              ** No change in weight or repetitions
                              *** Not measured yet

Comment

Working...
                              X