Andy Hank's Training Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henke_prytz View Post
    Yeah I think that once you cut down that number always changes, but still the bigger you are before the bigger you'll be in the end after a period of leaning out. And being able to drop % while getting heavier is amazing, building muscle and losing fat!!!
    Well with DC we don't try to lose muscle during a fat loss phase.

We will be supposed to beat the log book every workout which equals more muscle, but at the rate of 1x per week.

But since it is much more strenuous to build muscle during a focus on fat loss, we are recommended to use the 6 day split, with really short workouts so we can focus on our diet and cardio.

I am not prepping for a show so I won't be going lower than 10%... I shouldn't have too much of an issue beating that log book.

Yeah if it bothers you I think it's a good idea to switch things up a bit so you can safely blast away Haha I meant to write Rack not Hack...Opss Did you use to do powerlifting? Yeah, I have always loved rack deads and will def pick them in the future for back thickness!
    I never competed in powerlifting but I always trained like a powerlifter.

I built my foundation in my younger 20s just doing almost all heavy squats, bench, and deadlifts and not much else. I would go in the gym 3x per week and do 1 set of 5 on all three each day and add weight every time I could.

It worked not as good as DC obviously but it was the next best thing I ever tried so that was my proof that 1 set to failure training works.

I can't do high volume split training... I get so irritable and depressed and the last time I tried it I quit in like 4-5 months and that was when I didn't workout for 2 years.
    Last edited by andishehhank; 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

First day of the week

Standing Alt DB Curl (twisted) - 50 lbers x 18 RP
      Static Standing Barbell Hold - 235 x 43 seconds
      Calves on Nautilus leg press - 400 x 8 SS
      Seated Leg Curl - Level 15 x 27 RP (there are 18 levels/plates)
      Back Squat - 295 x 5 SS, 245 x 10 SS, 225 x 13 SS

I had gotten a WM with 225 on the squats before so I just left it at 2 plates until next time. Quads are pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by andishehhank View Post
        Well with DC we don't try to lose muscle during a fat loss phase.

We will be supposed to beat the log book every workout which equals more muscle, but at the rate of 1x per week.

But since it is much more strenuous to build muscle during a focus on fat loss, we are recommended to use the 6 day split, with really short workouts so we can focus on our diet and cardio.

I am not prepping for a show so I won't be going lower than 10%... I shouldn't have too much of an issue beating that log book.

I never competed in powerlifting but I always trained like a powerlifter.

I built my foundation in my younger 20s just doing almost all heavy squats, bench, and deadlifts and not much else. I would go in the gym 3x per week and do 1 set of 5 on all three each day and add weight every time I could.

It worked not as good as DC obviously but it was the next best thing I ever tried so that was my proof that 1 set to failure training works.

I can't do high volume split training... I get so irritable and depressed and the last time I tried it I quit in like 4-5 months and that was when I didn't workout for 2 years.

Thas's really cool! It's a damn good goal and at 10% you'll be a big dude still! What weight do you think you'll end up at? That's a damn good foundation. I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was younger. I have tried a lot of different programs everything from Milos Sarcev and super high volume to Dorian Yates style. But nothing has had me so structured as DC and I really like it. The problem for me with all these other programs is progressive overload. Without what you're not going to progress IMO. So I am glad I found DC when I did.

Comment

First day of the week

Standing Alt DB Curl (twisted) - 50 lbers x 18 RP
          Static Standing Barbell Hold - 235 x 43 seconds
          Calves on Nautilus leg press - 400 x 8 SS
          Seated Leg Curl - Level 15 x 27 RP (there are 18 levels/plates)
          Back Squat - 295 x 5 SS, 245 x 10 SS, 225 x 13 SS

I had gotten a WM with 225 on the squats before so I just left it at 2 plates until next time. Quads are pumped.
          How do you do your holds? Do you just grip the bar with a double overhand or are you doing one supinated one pronated? Or are you doing the hook grip? It will be cool to see the progression on these!

Comment

Thas's really cool! It's a damn good goal and at 10% you'll be a big dude still! What weight do you think you'll end up at? That's a damn good foundation. I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was younger. I have tried a lot of different programs everything from Milos Sarcev and super high volume to Dorian Yates style. But nothing has had me so structured as DC and I really like it. The problem for me with all these other programs is progressive overload. Without what you're not going to progress IMO. So I am glad I found DC when I did.
            I want to gain 20 pounds more of muscle and then I think I'll be ready to drop the fat.

I also did a lot of dumb stuff. It never hurt me or anything but wasted my time. When I was 22 I started using progressive overload and high calories and my muscularity began to come out real easy. But it was just on the main lifts and I didn't know how to use body part training or rep ranges which is why I got into DC. I am hoping to look good to the point where I could post a picture up here. At 28% body fat I still need a little hardening up to do.

How do you do your holds? Do you just grip the bar with a double overhand or are you doing one supinated one pronated? Or are you doing the hook grip? It will be cool to see the progression on these!
            I use a double overhand. No hook grip. I just set a timer on my phone and rack pull the weight and hold it.

Will also do this with the pull up bar this Thursday.
            Last edited by andishehhank; 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM.

Comment

So today is my scheduled A3... either I will make this a late night session around 11 PM or will have to get it done tomorrow because I forgot I am invited to a dinner party in an hour and didn't workout yet.

Still did my fasted cardio today already.

Comment

Managed to get to the gym at 10:45 PM sharp. Was done by 12 AM and I even chatted up two of my friends at the gym. Was surprised with the time efficiency since it was a phenomenal workout. I feel really pumped up.

Flat Barbell Press: 275 lbs x 8 RP
                High Incline (60 degrees) Dumbbell Press: 90 lbers x 14 RP
                Close grip flat smith press: 265 x 15 RP
                Hammer Strength High Row: + 160 lbs per hand x 18 RP
                Hammer Strength Low Row: + 160 lbs per hand x 14 RP

So I ended up only getting 6+1+1 on my flat barbell even though the last time I tried it I got 9 reps on my first set (december). I was probably feeling awkward and nervous because I was trying to make sure really hard that I retracted my scapulas and it might've cost me some reps.

My seated db press is 5 notches lower than the highest setting to make it a high incline. I like this way much more since I read EMG shows it stimulates the shoulders better. I honestly think it doesn't matter enough but I feel safer like this to be honest.

I decided to not do a reverse grip on the triceps bench because it impinges my wrist. Love the close grip more anyway.

And the back lifts were fun as usual because I love the hammer strengths.

I think I am out growing my body weight for my hanging lat stretch so I will probably have to buy some chains now.

All in all I been doing the broomstick dislocations everyday and watching my form and my rotator cuffs feel OK, so that's good for now.
                Last edited by andishehhank; 03-21-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Managed to get to the gym at 10:45 PM sharp. Was done by 12 AM and I even chatted up two of my friends at the gym. Was surprised with the time efficiency since it was a phenomenal workout. I feel really pumped up.

Flat Barbell Press: 275 lbs x 8 RP
                  High Incline (60 degrees) Dumbbell Press: 90 lbers x 14 RP
                  Close grip flat smith press: 265 x 15 RP
                  Hammer Strength High Row: + 160 lbs per hand x 18 RP
                  Hammer Strength Low Row: + 160 lbs per hand x 14 RP

So I ended up only getting 6+1+1 on my flat barbell even though the last time I tried it I got 9 reps on my first set (december). I was probably feeling awkward and nervous because I was trying to make sure really hard that I retracted my scapulas and it might've cost me some reps.

My seated db press is 5 notches lower than the highest setting to make it a high incline. I like this way much more since I read EMG shows it stimulates the shoulders better. I honestly think it doesn't matter enough but I feel safer like this to be honest.

I decided to not do a reverse grip on the triceps bench because it impinges my wrist. Love the close grip more anyway.

And the back lifts were fun as usual because I love the hammer strengths.

I think I am out growing my body weight for my hanging lat stretch so I will probably have to buy some chains now.

All in all I been doing the broomstick dislocations everyday and watching my form and my rotator cuffs feel OK, so that's good for now.
                  Shit that is some dedication to hit the gym at that time!!! Good on ya and good workout!!! How are the flat bench treating you? Do you like them? I've read in a few threads that they might not be ideal due to injury risk and all that. I'm happy to hear your rotators are feeling better

Comment

Shit that is some dedication to hit the gym at that time!!! Good on ya and good workout!!! How are the flat bench treating you? Do you like them? I've read in a few threads that they might not be ideal due to injury risk and all that. I'm happy to hear your rotators are feeling better
                    It's really OK. My shoulders don't hurt at all right now. I bench like a powerlifter with tucked elbows and retracted shoulders and it felt good. The key is in the retracting of the shoulder blades and I had forgotten how to do it after so many years but so far so good.

Comment

Great! If it works it works

Comment

Underhand Barbell Row (off floor) - 275x4, 245x7, 215x10 SS
                        Static Pull Up Hold - BW x 31 sec
                        45 degree leg press calf raise - + 230 x 9 SS
                        Deadlift - 405x5, 365x5 SS
                        Leg Press - + 4 plates x 40 WM

Workout was good until the hamstrings. tried doing deadlifts for hamstrings but couldn't feel anything in the hamstrings. I don't even feel them during stiff legs either. I have to be ready for next run with this workout to get the hamstrings going.

Was so pissed about the bad hamstrings workout that I didn't even care about my quads. There was 4 plates on the leg press so I just hit 40 reps with it and left the gym. They are pumped nevertheless.

Didn't stretch my legs either yet so I will do it right here in my room.

Still do all my stretches and I did my morning walk in the rain in a poncho today.

Time to eat.

Comment

Alright so I been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I think I am not ready for DC training because I believe I need to do a slightly different approach to high intensity training and it seems it would no longer be considered DC training, so I am not going to call it DC training right now.

I am going to do the same split that I have now, but I am going to stop rest pausing and do everything with 2-3 straight sets. This is because I want to use 2 exercises per body part (each workout) instead of one. This is because I see I am gaining well from the intentional 2 back exercises per day, and my pecs out grow my shoulders from doing close grip benching/dips for triceps...etc.

Since I would be weary that I'd tap into recovery with an extra exercise per day, I am switching to straight sets, which is fine with me. First set should be definitely 6-8 reps and 2nd will be 9-12 and I am still debating if I should do a set of 15-20 after. My conscience feels clear that I admit this is not DC training anymore but it is still about beating the log book 1-2 times per week.

I remember on my 2nd blast I was adding 10-20 pounds every time I got around to my barbell rows, t-bar rows, and floor deadlifts because I was doing a heavy set of 5 first. I made the best progress on these first. So I am motivated to do the straight sets here, and also for some mental and physical break to avoid injures and lack of motivation.

I will probably try out a straight DC split again if I see this doesn't work well or if it does I will probably try the 3 way-4 day split in the future.

So I just did my cardio and its time to eat, and I will hit the weights tonight.
                          Last edited by andishehhank; 03-25-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Alright so I been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I think I am not ready for DC training because I believe I need to do a slightly different approach to high intensity training and it seems it would no longer be considered DC training, so I am not going to call it DC training right now.

I am going to do the same split that I have now, but I am going to stop rest pausing and do everything with 2-3 straight sets. This is because I want to use 2 exercises per body part (each workout) instead of one. This is because I see I am gaining well from the intentional 2 back exercises per day, and my pecs out grow my shoulders from doing close grip benching/dips for triceps...etc.

Since I would be weary that I'd tap into recovery with an extra exercise per day, I am switching to straight sets, which is fine with me. First set should be definitely 6-8 reps and 2nd will be 9-12 and I am still debating if I should do a set of 15-20 after. My conscience feels clear that I admit this is not DC training anymore but it is still about beating the log book 1-2 times per week.

I remember on my 2nd blast I was adding 10-20 pounds every time I got around to my barbell rows, t-bar rows, and floor deadlifts because I was doing a heavy set of 5 first. I made the best progress on these first. So I am motivated to do the straight sets here, and also for some mental and physical break to avoid injures and lack of motivation.

I will probably try out a straight DC split again if I see this doesn't work well or if it does I will probably try the 3 way-4 day split in the future.

So I just did my cardio and its time to eat, and I will hit the weights tonight.
                            Hey Andy. Sounds like you've given this a fair bit of thought and ultimately only you know your body best. Personally I have only good things to say about DC so far but in the end, I think beating the log is still progress and that's the biggest goal. Good on ya, make sure you keep logging though. I'd love to see your progress and see how you end up structuring your workouts. Have a look at Jordan Peters (Trained by JP) if you haven't already he's an old DCer if I'm not mistaking. He's got some good stuff on progressive overload with a different approach. A few more exercises but still high intensity.

Comment

Hey Andy. Sounds like you've given this a fair bit of thought and ultimately only you know your body best. Personally I have only good things to say about DC so far but in the end, I think beating the log is still progress and that's the biggest goal. Good on ya, make sure you keep logging though. I'd love to see your progress and see how you end up structuring your workouts. Have a look at Jordan Peters (Trained by JP) if you haven't already he's an old DCer if I'm not mistaking. He's got some good stuff on progressive overload with a different approach. A few more exercises but still high intensity.
                              This is working very well, it really is. I promise, since the last 2 weeks I have seen gains already. I don't want to sound confusing, as I don't want to even remotely sound like this is DC training anymore. But DC training to me is a "concept" and it is basically all about 1 set to failure, compound exercises, high frequency, and beating the log book. And I always believed in this type of training.

Based off my schedule and projected progress I have decided I can afford to switch my training a bit.

For example, my traps suck so I need to deadlift every A workout, but it is not the same as doing a row where it trains the function of opening the chest up as my shoulders are still need it because they are imbalanced. So I have to do both for my current level in this sport, and I thought it would be easier if I just admitted I might not have the development needed to make DC training work for me yet. There are other reasons but those are just a few.

Comment

For example, tonight, instead of doing incline barbell rest paused... ill do it for 2 or 3 straight sets (probably 2) and then a decline barbell for another maybe 1-2 straight sets. I will using a similar proctool for all my lagging body parts.

things like triceps and delts are really straight forward with their ranges of motion so I might not get too complicated with these parts and just maybe add in a 3rd set of 15-20 at the end of these instead of multiple exercises for each.

for back tonight you will see i will do the same as 2 weeks ago except i will toss in an overhand barbell row (probably 45 degrees to target the rear delts)

like:

pull up 6-8, 9-12, (optional 15-20, if i think i can recover) SS
                                barbell row 6-8, 9-12 SS
                                rack deadlift 1x15-20? SS

i am keeping up all the stretches and keeping the volume really simple, no need to switch to something high volume. will still try to beat my log book!
                                Last edited by andishehhank; 03-26-2018, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X