Cherry Poppin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Poppin'

So I've been fighting myself to start a journal on here for about 2 weeks now and decided to do it. This will be my first online journal hence the title.

Some stats:

24 years old
    6'1"
    280 lbs

All lifts are raw (no knee wraps) and natural:

S - 500 (10/29/15)
    B - 405 (12/31/15)
    D - 585 (12/28/15)

Two summers ago I was laid up with an internal organ issue for 3 months. I went from about 270 to 200 lbs in the course of 6 weeks. I came back weak as hell. I was utilizing the typical "bro" 4 day a week training when I came back. After floundering around and being pissed off about my loss of strength, I decided to go back to basics and run Starting Strength.

I ran it for about 3 months with success. I then switched to 5/3/1 after I got sick of the 90 minute workouts three times a week. I have been running 5/3/1 with good success since March of 2015. I got pretty strong and added a decent bit of size.

The issue I am currently dealing with is that I am too fat. I have gone from 250 lbs as of May 2015 to 280 lbs currently. I have recently lowered my calories and will continue to adjust in an attempt to get back down to around 250 lbs.

The weight is a huge issue with my deadlift as it fucks up my leverages and makes it harder to pull conventional since carrying around my gut puts enough stress on my lower back. I have been pulling sumo for 2-3 months except for the 1RM I tested a couple of weeks ago. The weight has helped with my squat and bench though so it is quote the Catch 22.

I am balls deep in reading 5th Set by Swede Burns and I might start running it soon. I am hoping to be able to hire him as a coach this coming summer as his gym is only 45 minutes away from where I go to school.

TODAY'S TRAINING:

5/3/1 Cycle #13; Deload Week

Deadlift (Sumo) - 3x5 @ 225, 275, 330

45 degree Back Extensions - 3x5 @ bodyweight

Bike - 2 minute warmup
    (5x) - 30 second sprint w/ 60 second break
    2 minute cool down
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

1/13/2016

Spent a good chunk of the day job shadowing a dentist. I felt like hell so took a nap before the gym. Decided to just hit the main movement for the day and call it quits. Being a deload week made the day quite a joke but it was still better than doing nothing.

Bench: 3x5 @ 135, 165, 195
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

good stuff!!!
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I can't wait to start the 5th Set Method. I've been getting burnt out on 5/3/1. It's effective and I love it, but it get monotonous after 10 months of it.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Saturday 1/16/2016

5/3/1 Cycle #13 - Deload Week

Squat - 3x5 @ 190, 235, 280

Goodmornings - 3x5 @ 95

Bike - 2 minute warmup
          (5x) - 30 second sprint w/ 60 second break
          2 minute cool down

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

I am currently planning my 5th Set Method program so I can begin it on Tuesday. I just need to find a suitable substitution for reverse hypers since my gym doesn't have one and I'll be set.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Did some testing for rack pulls and floor press today so I can start 5th Set Method.

Warm Up - 5 minute walk on treadmill @ 3.5mph

Rack Pulls

2x5 @ 135
              1x5 @ 225
              1x3 @ 315
              1x2 @ 365
              1x1 @ 405
              1x1 @ 455
              1x1 @ 495
              1x1 @ 545
              1x1 @ 585

Tried to pull 635 but couldn't lock out.

Floor Press

2x5 with bar
              1x5 @ 95
              1x3 @ 135
              1x1 @ 185
              1x1 @ 225
              1x1 @ 275
              1x1 @ 315
              1x1 @ 365

Might have been able to get 405, but was already fairly spent and I'm fine with starting lighter to allow me to continue to progress longer.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Shit, I didnt notice you start a journal....sorry. Im in!!

Comment

Started 5th Set today.

Bench

4x2 @ 295
                  1x9 @ 295

Floor Press

2x15 @ 165

Side Raises

1x10 @ 15
                  immediately followed by 1x10 @ 20

*first set was extremely easy, started to bog down around the 5th or 6th rep of the next set.
                  Will increase next time.

Reverse Flyes
                  (I do these standing with my forehead on the head of an incline bench so I don't use body english)

1x12 @ 15
                  immediately followed by 1x12 @ 20; Same as above. Will increase next time.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Thursday 1/21/2016

Squat

4x2 @ 400lb
                    1x5 @ 400lb; might have been able to get a 6th rep but didn't want to chance it

"Ghetto" Reverse Hypers

5x10 @ bodyweight

Barbell Row

1x12 @ 155lb
                    1x12 @ 165lb

Dumbbell Row

1x15 @ 90lb

Barbell Shrugs

1x15 @ 185
                    1x14 @ 225

Have to change to dumbbell rows; getting smashing my dick with the bar

Seated Calf Raises

5x10 @ 45

This high volume is a real bitch since I haven't really worked in the 10+ rep range in a while. I'm starting really light so I don't have to deal with DOMS as much. The second microcycle I will probably keep the weights close to the same and then start to increase them the third microcycle.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Saturday 1/23/16

Wide Grip Bench

2x25 @ 200lbs; only able to get 22 then 14

Rolling Tricep Extensions

1x12 @ 50lbs
                      1x12 @ 40lbs

One Arm Cable Pushdown (Regular)

1x25 (each arm) @ 20lbs

One Arm Cable Pushdown (Reverse)

1x25 (each arm) @ 20lbs

Band Pull Aparts

3x30-35

Got 35 the first set, 24 the second set, and 23 the third set. Used the EliteFTS Green Monster Mini.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Following!
                        Yeah, I also really struggle when I jump out of a low volume (5-3-1) program into sets of 10-20. Just a whole new world for awhile!
                        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Thanks for following MaxNat. I'm hoping that after this first microcycle my body will adjust to the high volume and it will get easier. It's kind of nice getting a pump from high volume again. It's been a while since I've felt it and my arms felt like balloons yesterday from all the tricep work.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Tuesday 1/26/16

Deadlift (Conventional)

5x3 @ 405

Rack Pulls (Just Below Knees)

3x3 @ 405

These are gonna help my deadlift tremendously. I am weak at lockout and I always figured it was due to either weak glutes, hamstrings, or abs. When doing these, I could feel my lower traps and rhomboids working the hardest.

"Ghetto" Reverse Hypers (on back extension machine)

3x15 @ bodyweight

Chins

Pronated - 1x9
                            Supinated - 1x10
                            *Grip was gone; will use straps next time and finish with negatives if need be.

Pinwheel Curls

1x15 @ 30
                            1x12 @ 35

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Thursday 1/28/2016

Bench

4x2 @ 300lbs
                              1xAMRAP; got 7 @ 300lbs

*Will pump to 305lbs next time

Floor Press

1x15 @ 165lbs
                              1x15 @ 170lbs

*Next time, weights will be 165lbs and 175lbs

Side Raisies

1x10 @ 20lbs
                              1x10 @ 25lbs

*Will bump to 25lbs and 30lbs next time. Then will focus on slowing down the negative portion for the rest of the mesocycle.

Rear Raises (bent over and standing with head resting on incline bench)

1x12 @ 20
                              1x12 @ 25

*Same weight next time around. I didn't keep constant tension on the first set but, did on the second set.

My body is adjusting to the higher volume fairly quickly. Even with slightly higher weights, most of the work out felt easier this time around. Hopefully by the third microcycle (today is the first workout of the second microcycle. 4 workouts = 1 microcycle; Bench, Squat, Bench, Dead) the volume will be like second nature.
                              Last edited by fat TODD; 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM. Reason: Typos

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Working...
                              X