Pushing Forward - Jared's Fortitude Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing Forward - Jared's Fortitude Log

Goals: Gain muscle as fast as possible while keeping waistline in check. Currently around 220lbs, would love to hit close to 250 before "prepping" again.

Training: I will be switching over to Fortitude Training for this log. I plan to do at least 20 weeks of Fortitude before possibly going to some higher volume training.

Focuses: Increase flexibility through stretching at least 2x daily. Stretching also post muscle group training w/ Fortitude via flexibility stretches, occlusion stretches, or extreme stretches.

Diet: I will be focusing carbs, and a lot of them, around training and avoiding them at other times. I'll do my best to log my diet daily along with training.

So here's where I'm at right now:

I competed about 6 weeks ago at the AllStar Championships in Kansas City. I weighed in after sitting in the sauna and shooting an enema up my arse at 196lbs on Friday evening.

Currently sitting around 220 when on track for my diet but bounce up to about 230 when off track. I go back and forth on how clean I am on the diet, had a few solid weeks but with Christmas coming up I've relaxed a little bit on the diet.

I'll log through current supplements, rough outline of my current diet and thought on how I am going to change it and proceed, as well as current training.

Right now I'm training more high volume, high intensity techniques, about 5x a week usually hitting one body part more than once a week. Not dissimilar from a mountain dog approach.

After I finish this blast, I plan on swapping over to some Fortitude Training and going after that for awhile before swapping back over to the high volume kind of training.

Goals for 2016:
    Gain as much size as possible without losing quad definition, veins, and staying relatively lean. Utilizing different techniques for leaning out periodically in between phases of pushing for more size.

Get back on stage in my best conditioning to date late summer, early fall and compete as a light heavy.

Don't hurt myself.. again.
    Last edited by Jared Ragsdale; 12-21-2015, 02:08 PM.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Good plans! Looking forward to following!
    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

I'm in.
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Weight this morning was 228. Up a few lbs from some overeating a few days before. Been hanging at 220 to 223 lately.

Did some cardio yesterday and dropped carbs out to help shed some water weight, wasn't enough of a stress in just the one day. Going to try and keep the diet a little lower.

Basic plan through Christmas is to try and stop myself from turning into a fatass. Failing right now. Lol

Trained arms this morning with a few super sets.
        Barbell curls/rope push downs
        Hammer curls/dips
        Preacher curls/decline lying extensions

Followed by some seated calves working up to sets of 10 heavier each set.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450365858.987220.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.316fit.com

Comment

dude your full-on swole...great starting point
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
            dude your full-on swole...great starting point
            Thanks man!

So I need to drop a little bit of water weight from going off the deep end a few nights ago (and a few nights in a row). Had some McDonald's and some cereal.. and some more cereal.. and some more cereal.. haha

So my diet yesterday was pretty simple.

Every meal was pretty much:

50g protein
            0g carbs
            8g fat

Protein from protein sources, fat from fat sources. Used a bit of fattier beef and didn't add anything to the meal but for the most part it was chicken + 1 slice of cheddar cheese or something similar to that.

Today I am still going lower than normal to bring this back off and to prepare for the next week of food annihilation as well as a Christmas Party I have planned this weekend.

Diet today will be:

Intra:
            1 Scoop HBCD + Pepto + BCAA

2:
            2 scoops whey isolate + kid's cereal

3:
            Albacore Tuna + Chex Cereal

4:
            2 Scoops Whey + 1 Tbsp PB

5:
            Fatty Beef (90/10)

6:
            Fatty Beef (90/10)

7:
            Fatty Beef or a protein shake + 1 tbsp of PB.

I don't normally eat this low of macro intake, but when I go overboard I tend to make up for it the next day or two by lowering macros and dropping the excess water. It's been a pretty good tactic *so far* for staying lean post-show. I'm up a good amount and I really haven't been as strict on myself as I should be - but by taking a few days and going super-strict on my macros I have been able to mitigate any sort of real damage to my physique from all of the shitty food and overeating.

Weight was 228 when I woke up, already sitting at 226 this afternoon from training and dropping a bit of water from sweating. I imagine I'll be under 225 in the morning or even down to my consistent 223lbs tomorrow morning.

Jared

www.316fit.com

Comment

Yesterday's motto: "treat yo'self"

So, diet went as planned yesterday - until I decided some cereal and chipotle sounded really good for meal #5 and #6. LOL - not beating myself up too much for this as Christmas is around the corner and I'm really just staying in limbo until after the first of the year when I'm going to crank up the food intake.

I did wake up at 226 this morning, on the other hand.

Today I did some leg training:

Stiff Legged Deads: 4x10
              Leg Press: 5x8
              Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x12
              Smith Squats: Drop sets of 3x10
              Seated Leg Curl: 3x15

Foam rolled a bit after and tried to stretch out. Pretty wicked glute pump from the SLDL when I really focus on flexing my glutes on the way up, feels like I'm walking around with bowling balls in my pants.

Overall pretty good workout.

Fighting a bit of lingering soreness in my quads and typically it's from some tightness in my glutes or hip flexors causing constant tension on my quads. I need to start stretching at home more often and foam rolling more at home as well to really alleviate the problem. It gets to the point where I feel I can't push as hard or as much weight as I want for fear I'm going to end up hurting myself a bit.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Tuna and Chex? How does that work?
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  Tuna and Chex? How does that work?
                  hahaha I eat them separately. I'm a man of convenience at times.

I actually put ketchup on my albacore tuna. Tried it once back in 2008 during prep and it covers the fish taste pretty well so I can eat the equivalent of 3 cans of tuna pretty easily.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                    Yesterday's motto: "treat yo'self"
                    I hear what your saying about not beating yourself up about relaxing a bit, especially over Christmas. Not sure about you but I have family stuff for like a week straight between my folks and the wifes fam. It is pretty much impossible to stay on track without being a complete dick; bugging out to the gym, refusing to eat nannas sweet potatoe casterole, etc, etc. Plus my wifes fam lives in the middle of KS on a farm so the nearest gym is like 40 minutes away. Treat Yo'self!!!! from the looks of your pick it looks like you could take a diet liberty or 2 :bb:

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
                      I hear what your saying about not beating yourself up about relaxing a bit, especially over Christmas. Not sure about you but I have family stuff for like a week straight between my folks and the wifes fam. It is pretty much impossible to stay on track without being a complete dick; bugging out to the gym, refusing to eat nannas sweet potatoe casterole, etc, etc. Plus my wifes fam lives in the middle of KS on a farm so the nearest gym is like 40 minutes away. Treat Yo'self!!!! from the looks of your pick it looks like you could take a diet liberty or 2 :bb:
                      Thanks man!

Yeah it's a time to relax a little - not completely off board, but no need to stress about some extra treats here and there or eating a "normal" dinner with the family. I still keep my protein in take high and diet when I can to mitigate any sort of fat gain that I can stop before it accumulates too much.

I consider the week before Christmas a time to coast and see if you can at least just not get "fat" for the week. lol

Where at in KS? I live in Wichita actually.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                        Thanks man!

Yeah it's a time to relax a little - not completely off board, but no need to stress about some extra treats here and there or eating a "normal" dinner with the family. I still keep my protein in take high and diet when I can to mitigate any sort of fat gain that I can stop before it accumulates too much.

I consider the week before Christmas a time to coast and see if you can at least just not get "fat" for the week. lol

Where at in KS? I live in Wichita actually.
                        No doubt, with finals at school this week and Christmas next week, its definitely a good time to let off the gas and enjoy family.

We currently live in Olathe outside of Kansas City and my wifes folks live in a town called Bennington, near Salina.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
                          No doubt, with finals at school this week and Christmas next week, its definitely a good time to let off the gas and enjoy family.

We currently live in Olathe outside of Kansas City and my wifes folks live in a town called Bennington, near Salina.
                          Very cool - not sure if we've ever talked about this before. Have a few people I've talked to that live in KS as well.

Definitely familiar with Bennington and have some family up in the Mission area as well near you.

My family owns a few supplement stores down here in Wichita (Supplement Giant), always thought about going up to KC but haven't pulled the trigger yet. We also have 3 out in Denver that my brother has started up over the last few years.

We were just up there in OP for the All Star Championship bodybuilding show just a few weeks back. Had to go the Trader Joe's for some cookie butter since we don't have on down here just yet.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Looking forward to following as well.

Curious as to whether or not you are talking all those sets to failure.

Also for your 5th day, are you going to rotate the body part that you will hit twice a week based on feeling or planned schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                              Looking forward to following as well.

Curious as to whether or not you are talking all those sets to failure.

Also for your 5th day, are you going to rotate the body part that you will hit twice a week based on feeling or planned schedule?
                              Not all sets were to failure, but some were. Definitely not close to a DC type of failure by any means, so I had at least 1-2 reps in the tank.

5th day was planned to be a rotation where I would move the workout up one day each week and whatever I hit on Monday I would hit again on Friday. It works, I like the plan but I've decided to go in a different direction.

I'm going to go ahead and "cruise" for the next week or two and then begin Fortitude Training. I've been on this current type of workout for a long time, mostly since I was prepping so easily 12+ weeks.

I want to give Fortitude Training a solid push for another 20 weeks or so. Last time I did it I had many things plaguing me that stopped me from really pushing myself through it like I know I can.

So I'm going to do the Fortitude Intensive Cruise for the next couple of weeks to let my body recovery and prep for the first Blast.

I'm going to revamp and edit some of this journal so that it's more easy to glance through and see what's going on.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Working...
                              X