Addicted to DC II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to DC II

I have decided to start a new journal so it becomes easier for me to seperate and track what I am doing. I figured when I needed to refer back to something it would be much easier to find a detail I was looking for if there wasn't a hundred pages to go through.

While I did not end up competing in 2015 I am still extremely happy with the end result. Pictures and details of my last off season and prep can be found on the following link:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=50064

This journal will outline the off season I have just begun and next years prep. The plan is to spend the next 6 months (Sept 2015 to end of Feb 2016) training DC and making some serious progress and having my biggest off season yet. Last year went decently well. I went from 184 down to 159, had my off season that was relatively sloppy and ended up at 181 and got down to 154 both leaner and bigger than my 159 the year before. Pleased but, not good enough.

The focus of my DC workouts for this blast are out around the eccentric portion of the movement. I don't care all that much about the concentric. I only care about getting the weight up any way I can so I can lower the weight again. I don't have a specific tempo, just lower it slowly. This isn't to say I'm going to cheat like crazy on the concentric, especially with things like pulldowns or curls but, there will be some degree of cheating going on. Much less on pressing days of course. Again I simply want to tear the muscle up with the eccentric as much as possible, most moves will have statics at the end and the extreme stretching will be apart of every workout without fail.

One thing you will see is 3x15 instead of a set of 20. Reason for this is the weight is lighter and the rest periods are short. I get a significantly better pump this way as appose to the normal widowmaker. The end result is the same in my opinion and it allows for a much bigger pump before I start the stretches which have been way more intense since doing the 3x15.

I will not be doing a typical DC leg routine as I feel I don't respond to it and it's way to harsh on my lower body which has a few injuries that come up at any time. Low back, I have spondylolethesis which is where a vertabrae is broken from another, I had full knee reconstruction on 2013 and I have a hamstring injury from 2011 that was further aggravated by the surgeon using the hamstring as a graft for my new acl. The same hamstring muscle that was injured in 2011. Semitendonus. I can't expect to make it 6 months of hardcore DC legs without injuring any of those things and no amount of maintenance and stretching routines is going to change that. So, I need to come up with a plan that will still allow for growth. While I feel I have great legs for being 155 lean, Skip says I need to bring up my hamstrings and glutes and of course calves.

I spent all of this year unsure if I was going to compete in bodybuilding or physique. Based on both my final progress pics of this year and my personal preference I will be competing in bodybuilding. Skip says I am well balanced through my upper body with no glaring weaknesses. So if I can bring up my legs than I feel I can be very successful if I can nail my conditioning and compete at the top of the weight class at 154. Otherwise I'll be up against guys as high as 174 which is not ideal right now.

So it would be a pleasure to have a lot of you guys at Intense Muscle following along and providing input and knowledge to help give me an edge this off season. I will be working with Skip until the first of the year and will begin prep at the end of March of 2016. I feel very fortunate to be apart of this place and plan to be very active here for a long time.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Thursday's workout posted in my first journal

Today is my birthday so I went and did my first DC workout but I'm still being relaxed with the diet until tomorrow. I'll be doing all you can eat sushi tonight with the gf and some friends.

Inc DB press(15-20)
    13,5,[email protected]

Pec Dec (3x15) (I do this cause I respond better with a pump and makes the stretch more intense. The weight is much lighter than a normal
    [email protected], 50lb, 40lb

Stretch- got about 45 seconds because of the pain. Normally aim for 60-90

HS shoulder press (15-20)
    15,5,[email protected] on each side of 135 if you want to pretend there is a bar in the middle and make adding up the weight easier.

Side laterals(3x15)
    [email protected], 15, 10

Stretch- cable Delt stretch. Got 55 seconds. Working on getting past the pain. Hurt like a mf

CG BB (15-20)
    11,4,[email protected]

Stretch - 60 seconds

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Back and biceps today after meal 3. Very nice lifting after a few carb meals already in your system and ready to go instead of lifting after meal 1 and still having nutrients to digest.

One Arm Rows (1x8, 1x12, 1x20) I do the set of 20 with very light weight and can only do this on a movement like this where there is some support. Can't be done on barbells rows or rack pulls.
      [email protected], [email protected] (right side got 10) and [email protected]

V-Handle pulldowns (15-20)
      12,6,[email protected] (cybex weight stacks)

Stretched for 60 seconds

DB Shrugs 3x15
      [email protected]
      Trap/neck stretch for 30 seconds each side

Reverse Pec Dec 3x15
      [email protected]

Stretched for 40 seconds

Cable EZ bar curls (cable through the legs facing away from stack)
      (20-25)
      16,7,[email protected]

Cable rope hammer curls 3x15
      [email protected],30,30

Bicep stretches for 30 seconds

Very excited about how my first back workout of the off season went. Back is my favorite day and I want my back to be my biggest strength some day.

Again I need to clarify the weights are lighter because of the eccentric focus. I'll be happy with a 6-7 week blast before I cruise training like this before I reasses whether I continue to emphasize the eccentric so fucking much! Obviously the weight needs to increase in all these movements but I will do that very minimally because that eccentric is still going to torch me no matter what reps I get. In the past I've made way to big of jumps in weight when beating a rep range and had to scrap movements too soon.

Comment

In bud

Comment

Thank you for following along!

Comment

Some rest days thoughts:

My plan for legs is to take it very slow. I get impatient and push too hard to quick and end up having little aches and pains. As of right now I plan to do 4 sets of 10 squats with lighter weights for 3-4 weeks. Week one will be 135, two will be 185, three with 205 and then go back down to 135 but increase to 5 sets. There's a level of conditioning that needs to take place to get back into squatting comfortably. Leg days haven't had squats in a while because of the difficulty in my final 2 months of prep. Accessory exercises will be 4x20 to further emphasize the conditioning before I decide what I am capable of after my next cruise.

Weight is up to 170 as of this morning. So up about 13-15 pounds after a week of "eating like normal people" as Skip put it. I'll have cardio along with the diet plan Skip has put out for me starting tomorrow. I expect to see the weight go down some or at least see favorable changes in body composition.

I won't say everything I am doing "supplement-wise" but I will say I am "researching" the peptide ghrp-2. I am 3 days in at 100mcg done 3x a day. Before meal one, post workout and before bed. I believe I am noticing some effects from it. Mainly the carpel tunnel like symptoms and tingling of the extremities noticed with elevated GH levels. I feel slightly fuller in the muscles but this could also be attributed to the rise in carb intake this last week. I also feel like I am sleeping very well these last few days which is a major plus for me since I've never slept great. I'll document everything about this stuff.

Comment

Not a half bad leg workout. I am playing with my squat stance and find standing in a set of 5s under my heels feels really nice for bringing my stance in closer. Part of my lower body conditioning I am focusing on is going deep and this allows me to do that with comfort and keeps my back neutral comfortably when I normally have a lot of extension in my thoracic spine.

Standing calf raise
              4 sets of 12-15 @ 0,10,10,0
              These are strict as fuck so the weight right now is incredibly light and I still feel it. That and I have plantar fasciitis that makes my feet hurt far before my calves feel anything.

Squats
              4 sets of 10 at 135
              Deep as fuck with a pause at the bottom.

Lying leg curls
              4 sets of 15

Leg xts
              4 sets of 20

Hip/glute bridge
              4 sets of 20 with no weight

Nice and easy as I make little progressions to getting my lower body back to good health. There's plenty of little aches and pains so I need to make sure I take it slow to allow my lower body to heal itself.

Low back was feeling torched for some reason. Felt this way on my back day too even when it had plenty of support.

Pressing day tomorrow and I'm excited about it. The inc cybex press is one of my favorites.

Comment

Awesome pressing day once again. Why did I ever veer away from DC?

Incline Cybex Press (Plate Loaded) (15-20)
                11,4,[email protected]
                Pec dec
                [email protected],40,40
                Stretch for 60 seconds

Seated DB Shoulder Press (15-20)
                11,5,[email protected] (my overhead pressing is weak I know)
                Side laterals
                [email protected]
                Stretch for 60 seconds

Overhead Cable extensions (20-25)
                15,5,[email protected]
                Stretch for 60 seconds

I'm loving how quick and efficient my workouts are on DC rather than getting crazy with volume and not having a clue how much work I did one day versus the next. I can't wait to come back around to the workouts I've already done and get to concentrate and crushing the log book.

The negative portion of each movement today went well. Perfect tempo and I was left torched after every attempt.

Comment

I got some issues with my discs myself

I have had to work around issues like your going through and in the past with my blasts I did a rotation of (and I'm not trying to jack this thread of say your shit is wrong, but I did some neat things In my blast that let my back heal and had me THRASHED in a lot of ways my legs blew up and I didn't squat or hack or lunge or stiff leg

1.one leg standing leg curls alternated back and forth like
                  15, 8-10, 5-6 (jus example) then seated leg curl widow maker
                  seated leg press with a wt u can do 20-30 rest pause Til u get a hundred
                  Feet low as possible close as possible and deep with no stop, constant tension these burn specially while that 10-12 sec between sets go on and the constant tension is the deal breaker; if u gotta rest between reps that loop is over

2. Sumo leg press seated leg curl widow maker then Leg press 20-30, 15-12, 6-10

3. last I leg presses with kris gethins dtp pyramid (all u need for legs that day)
                  50 40 30 20 10 close and narrow
                  10 20 30 40 40 high and wide

calves but do them first on all days I usually alternated 100s on seated leg press
                  20 each leg back and forth till 100 is complete
                  And
                  The DC calf protocol on the leg press

U def got energy and enthusiasm and your shit together
                  It's inspiring

I look forward to following
                  I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                  I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Sorry post so long
                    I edited cause it was confusing

Comment

I will have to take some of those ideas and use them after my next cruise as I plan to stick to what I got and not change too many of the variables too soon and then have no idea what exactly was working for me when I make changes. I appreciate the ideas and advice and I'll let you know how they work for me when the time comes.

I will be able to squat and deadlift. Just not right now. I'm squatting currently just light compared to what I am used to. Deadlifts will come back in as well but that might take much longer. The spondylolethesis isn't really a disc issue as much as its an instability in the vertabrae because they are separated. So I am working on taking extra steps to strengthen my core for that lack of stability. I will be doing my MISS cardio Skip wants on my off days from training and I think this is when I will perform my direct ab workouts.

Comment

Sounds good man
                        It sucks that ur dealing with that
                        I honestly have skimmed through and didn't know exactly what the issue was but that sucks that u got the verebtal instability

Comment

Back day!

Not a bad back day but not a great one either. The first DC back workout of this off season was significantly better. Today was the day where I began with a rest pause width movement and had a chest supported thickness move. I liked starting with the width rest pause because it's weighted wide grip pull-ups and I need all the energy I can get for a move like that. Could never be consistent with it after a thickness move.

Weighted wide grip pull-up (15-20)
                          11,3,[email protected]

Technogym Seated Row (15-20)
                          11,6,[email protected]

Barbell shrugs
                          [email protected]
                          Prone Reverse DB fly
                          [email protected]

Lat stretch for 90 seconds
                          Trap stretch for 40 seconds holding 135lb barbell
                          Rear Delt/middle trap stretch for 50 seconds (saw Dusty Hanshaw doing this stretch lying prone on an incline bench holding 2 DBs and letting your back stretch with the weight in hand then raising arms to the sides to hit the rear delts concentricaly but I used this as a stretch instead)

Hammer Strength Preacher Curl (20-25)
                          12,5,[email protected]
                          Single arm cable curls
                          [email protected] on cybex weight stack
                          Bicep stretch for 60 seconds

I did not like the technogym machine row. The handles move in an awkward direction and I have a hard time judging what a full rep is because of where my hands finish at the top so I will be replacing this one with the Hammer Strength Row and I'm thinking I'll make it a 1x8 and 1x12. I don't like the hammer strength machine at my gym. It's very old and not like the newer ones that have a comfortable seat and angle that allows you to pull 4 plates on each side with ease.

Tomorrow will be a rest day where I do 30 minutes of MISS cardio and do some core work. Legs on Thursday and I'll be stepping up the weight slightly for the squats as I continue to condition my lower body for more extreme work later down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                            Sounds good man
                            It sucks that ur dealing with that
                            I honestly have skimmed through and didn't know exactly what the issue was but that sucks that u got the verebtal instability
                            Yeah it's very limiting at times but it's not the worst it could be and I manage it well with chiropractic care and core work. It will require surgery when I am older. I know of a couple people who have had the surgery and there are no restrictions on what I am allowed to do when I get it. Not like some cervical surgeries or disc surgeries. They basically just slide the vertabrae back in place and reconnect them with some rods that have flex so it imitates the natural motion. Not a bad deal.

Comment

that doesn't sound to bad when u think about it for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X