Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done Chasing Tomorrow

A new journal, a new outlook.

I am 30 yrs old. Not old by any stretch of the imagination, but old enough to know a few things.

1. I don't know jack shit about jack shit. The only people that think they do are young, dumb, and full of cum.

2. The things that I am most sure about today are the ones that are most likely to change dramatically in the future (i.e. faith, priorities, general views, etc).

3. I will always be average. I do not have the genetics to be extraordinary and am not willing to sacrifice that which would be necessary to push the limits of average (i.e. health, money, quality time with family, stress levels, etc).

4. I love my children more than anything in this world and there is NOTHING I wouldn't do or sacrifice for their long-term happiness and benefit. (My wife is incredible as well, but that love is conditional.)

5. Being a good person is the only fucking thing that matters in this world. What this means to each person is quite different, but if at the end of your life you can look back and genuinely believe that you did things right, who am I to argue?

So, this journal is a definite change of course for me, as I stated at the beginning. In the past, I have used them to hold myself accountable and to keep myself from jumping from program to program, diet to diet. The theory was that the idea of the embarrassment I would feel when someone called me out on my lack of consistency would be enough to keep me from swaying. The truth was, the only thing it kept me from doing was posting in my journal, haha. This journal will, instead, be used to document my journey. If I hop around a lot, make decisions that are dumb, or shoot myself in the foot, so be it. There is no longer embarrassment or accountability tied to what is written here, just a record of what was. I welcome any criticism or comments that anyone has, as I genuinely value your input (I just no longer care care if you judge me).

So how does the title of my journal come into play? It is a direct result of the birth/conception of my second child. Around month 4, my wife started to be less than happy about her physique (as most women get at this point). I decided that, the best way that I could support her was to let myself go (at least for the reminder of the pregnancy). I quit trying to follow any sort of diet, eat with any consistency or purpose, or workout at all. When she had a craving for something, I tried to eat twice as much. When she would see her stomach in the mirror and let out a sigh, I would push my stomach out as far as possible and slouch over as she walked in the room.

For those of you without kids, women go through a sort of transition while pregnant. Even though they know the weight gain is from a child growing inside of them, they still become more and more self-conscious about their bodies until they finally pop and are obviously pregnant (they think that people just see them as fat assess until it is undeniable that they are pregnant).

My goal during this period was to make people look at me and wonder how the fuck I tricked my wife into marrying me (just as they do every day of our lives when she is not with child).

Did it work? No idea. What I do know is that I had to try and do something to support her, even if she didn't know it, and that was the best I could come up with. It did work at making me a 5'10 240lb out of shape fatass, though.

Another thing it did, much to my surprise, was dramatically change my views on my appearance and goals. For the first time in my life, I wasn't completely focused on being as large as possible. Did I want to lose some weight? Sure. Would I be happy with 10 more lbs of muscle? Sure. Those things were just no longer priorities. My focus shifted to getting in shape so I could run around and play with my children, and live as long a life as possible. It shifted from stress and obsession over meals and eating frequency, to finding a balance between a healthy, well-balanced diet and low stress/maximum convenience. It shifted from always chasing a physique that was just around the corner and telling myself I would finally be happy when I got there, to finally accepting myself. I am who I am and I look how I look, and while I can always make small, day to day improvements, I can never be happy tomorrow if I can't find happiness today.

I know that many people on this board will disagree with this statement, but it is what I wholeheartedly believe and is the theme of this journal.......There is nothing wrong with being average. Strive for goals and try to continuously improve, but learn to be happy if those things don't happen; life isn't a contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 NPC North Star

If being average means striving for a balanced life, growing toward a greater degree of acceptance, and trying to be the best person I can be without basing my self worth on how I measure up to others, sign me up.

Congrats on your second child!
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

No seen I think you are mucking up the word average. You may be average in the gym or appearance but not other aspects so saying your average is concluded here. Also note I didn't read that giant post on my phone because it was too damn long and small but I'm picking up what you are putting down. The gym is no longer my priority while I still have goals I just have other things that come before my own.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
        If being average means striving for a balanced life, growing toward a greater degree of acceptance, and trying to be the best person I can be without basing my self worth on how I measure up to others, sign me up.

Congrats on your second child!

Well said Phoenix! Thanks!

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
          No seen I think you are mucking up the word average. You may be average in the gym or appearance but not other aspects so saying your average is concluded here. Also note I didn't read that giant post on my phone because it was too damn long and small but I'm picking up what you are putting down. The gym is no longer my priority while I still have goals I just have other things that come before my own.

Each person definitely has things that they excel at and things they are standard at. I just no longer care where I end up on the scale in relation to anything/anyone else. Phoenix said it well.

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

I should also note that I am in no way implying that being above average at things has no importance. It provides much of the initial drive and purpose to our lives, as we gravitate towards things we are good at. My post, while certainly applicable to most areas of my life at this point, was directed more to my physique than anything else.

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
              Well said Phoenix! Thanks!

Agree agree agree!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                It shifted from always chasing a physique that was just around the corner and telling myself I would finally be happy when I got there, to finally accepting myself. I am who I am and I look how I look, and while I can always make small, day to day improvements, I can never be happy tomorrow if I can't find happiness today.
                That point always seems to be lost on a lot of people in the fitness industry and that's sad.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

:high5:Congrats on the new addition. Boy? Girl?

Although I hate to agree with you (just cause you're an ass. lol just kidding, but not really). You are spot on. As a father of 3, (and being married to a great woman for 17 years) I understand the point you're making.

I can judge from your original post you are a good family man. And there are not enough of us in this world.

I'll be following along
                  2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

pretty much everything TLo said...

I compete often and really enjoy it BUT its just a hobby....for the last several years I've been eating 3x/day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have no clue what my macros are...the gym serves MY needs not the other way around
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                      :high5:Congrats on the new addition. Boy? Girl?

Although I hate to agree with you (just cause you're an ass. lol just kidding, but not really). You are spot on. As a father of 3, (and being married to a great woman for 17 years) I understand the point you're making.

I can judge from your original post you are a good family man. And there are not enough of us in this world.

I'll be following along

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                      pretty much everything TLo said...

I compete often and really enjoy it BUT its just a hobby....for the last several years I've been eating 3x/day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have no clue what my macros are...the gym serves MY needs not the other way around

Thanks guys!

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

So, here is what my diet looks like these days (been doing this for about 3 weeks and am really digging it.) No clue what my macros are, but my weight/waist is dropping at a steady pace.

IF-style diet

Fast 9pm-noon

12pm Workout Days- 2 apples, 1 cup cottage cheese
                        12pm Non-Workout Days- 2 tbsp PB, 1 cup cottage cheese

3pm Workout Days- 2 apples, 1 cup cottage cheese
                        3pm Non-Workout Days- 2 tbsp PB, 1 cup cottage cheese

Post-workout (530pm) - 4 pop tarts, 2 scoops protein

6pm every day- 1/2 bag romaine lettuce with French dressing

8pm Workout Days- 1/2 cup quinoa, 1.25 lb ground turkey
                        8pm Non-Workout Days- 6 eggs, 1 cup cheese, 1.25 lb ground turkey

959pm on non-specific days- Cookies and Cream frozen yogurt to my heart's content

Sat and Sun- usually have the two cottage cheese meals, then one of as much of whatever I want.

This is absolutely the most convenient meal setup I have ever followed.

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Done Chasing Tomorrow

Workouts are 531- Simplest Strength routine, with jump roping and weighed-vest walking thrown in whenever I get a chance.

Today's workout

Reads
                          355- 8
                          315- 3
                          280-3

Front Squat (these weights are really light, but my right quad doesn't do nearly as much as my left, so I'm backing the weight down and trying to retrain my motor recruitment pattern)
                          115-8
                          135-8
                          150-6

Lying leg curls (I had two acl reconstructions in high school, and each time they took a hamstring ligament from a different leg for the repair. I truly believe this somehow affected my ability to activate my hamstrings, as I cannot get 10lbs to 90 degrees on standing leg curl machines, and have to go stupidly light on lying leg curls to feel like I am even remotely using them.)
                          20- 15
                          20- 13
                          20- 10

Good mornings
                          Bar- 10
                          Bar- 10
                          Bar- 10

(I really wish I could copy and paste from the JEFIT app!!!)

Drank 80oz of water during the training session, as it was hot and humid as fuck today.

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                            That point always seems to be lost on a lot of people in the fitness industry and that's sad.

Yeah, the industry really is built around "what could be".

2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Done Chasing Tomorrow

A few shots of me from mid-July (prepare to be sexified!) When these were taken I had been throwing in some jump roping at the end of my workouts and not eating as much shit every day, for about a month. Weight was about 230.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...39094220bd.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...2a482b04ab.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...29e696ee93.jpg
                              Last edited by Macho Man; 08-11-2015, 10:38 PM.
                              2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Working...
                              X