Swede Burns - 5th Set for Powerlifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swede Burns - 5th Set for Powerlifting

Chronic Routine hopper for years, no real mentionable progress in 2 years, 20lbs PR maybe and don't feel like I'm hitting my potential. Cutting back to 3 days a week is tough but I'm about to get busier going back for my masters and coaching my sons 7U team, first time head coach with 95% of the kids never playing.

I was laid off in May and back to work in June making $20k less. So I'm Going to get through the 3 Macrocycles consisting of 18 Microcyles that last 9 days

Train M-W-F Squat is going to be Speed-Technique Lift and all lifts are without supportive gear. Going to try to get cardio in on my days off startin 4x30 and increasing 5 minutes every two weeks. Cleaned up my diet and dropped from 235 to 220 pretty quick.

7/13
    Bench 270x2,2,2,2,7
    CG FLoor Press 175x15,15
    Hammer Grip Laterals 20's x15,15
    Rear DB Laterals 35's x15,15
    2 Arm DB Row 55's x15,15

The high rep assistance work is challenging and left me sore

Good to hear! (about the soreness)
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
      Good to hear! (about the soreness)
      Yeah, I felt dumb using the lighter weights but that 15th rep on floor press was no cake walk. I think I've just been training too much with no real plan and too much fluff

Comment

I haven't made progress, for about a year and a half before my surgery. But I am completely different, I stayed with the same program for 4 or 5 years(5/3/1). Loved it, but I think I got stagnant on it. I am going to try to build some muscle first on a bodybuilding routine before gong back to a powerlifting routine.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
          I haven't made progress, for about a year and a half before my surgery. But I am completely different, I stayed with the same program for 4 or 5 years(5/3/1). Loved it, but I think I got stagnant on it. I am going to try to build some muscle first on a bodybuilding routine before gong back to a powerlifting routine.
          I was doing high frequency bodybuilding before this and put some good size on

7/15

Squats beltless
          [email protected]

Fr. Squat
          [email protected]

Leg Curl
          [email protected]

Pronated Pulldown
          130x20

Supinated Pulldown
          130x12

DB Shrugs
          80's x15,15

Weight 219
          Last edited by RobbHensel; 07-16-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I think I topped out at strength for my muscle size, so I need to put on more. Plus I have been reading more and more about training 9 months out of the year for muscle size and the last 3 months concentrating on a strength program.

Comment

I think I topped out at strength for my muscle size, so I need to put on more. Plus I have been reading more and more about training 9 months out of the year for building size and the last 3 months concentrating on a strength program.
              Yeah that's a good rule of thumb but you'd want to keep the big three or similar movement first for say 2x5 and increase weight 5-10 lbs every time you get both sets and everything else bodybuilding work

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                Yeah that's a good rule of thumb but you'd want to keep the big three or similar movement first for say 2x5 and increase weight 5-10 lbs every time you get both sets and everything else bodybuilding work
                I am going to try Scott's FT program for the next year. How does this Program compare to the Cube or Westside or even 5/3/1?

Comment

I am going to try Scott's FT program for the next year. How does this Program compare to the Cube or Westside or even 5/3/1?
                  Completely different but you'll enjoy it for sure. Will help your work capacity

Comment

I wasn't clear, I meant the program you are doing, to compare to the cube, 5/3/1 and other powerlifting programs.

Comment

All of this.

Lifts that I kept stalling on 531 I wound up blowing away my far after some time doing higher volume training.

But the first week coming off of 531 I was gasping for breath beyond 5 reps.
                      #docswholift
                      PGY-1 FM
                      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Nice to see you back. I'll be following for sure!!
                        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                          All of this.

Lifts that I kept stalling on 531 I wound up blowing away my far after some time doing higher volume training.

But the first week coming off of 531 I was gasping for breath beyond 5 reps.
                          Yeah the >5 Rep sets are killer on big exercises

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                          Nice to see you back. I'll be following for sure!!
                          Thanks Tony

Comment

7/18

Wide Grip Flat Bench
                            175x25,20
                            *stay here until 2x25

PJR Pullover with EZ Curl Bar
                            80x12,12
                            *14 Reps for both sets next week

Cable Press downs 2x25 Rev. Grip 2x25 Regular Grip
                            Face Pulls 3x30 60s rest
                            Seated Cable Rows 2x15
                            Dips BW 2x10

Weight 220

The high reps are very challenging

Came home and did conditioning with my son and wife. Football is here and I can get my son to do conditioning if I do it with him

High Knees 2x10 yards
                            Bear Crawls 2x10 yards
                            Butt Kickers 2x10 yards
                            60lb sled drag forward 2x25 yards backwards 2x25 yards
                            Sprints 4x20 yards
                            Isometric squat bottom position of 2 point stance 3x60 seconds
                            Top push up isometric hold 3xFail
                            Overhead Carry Walk 2x50 yards

Comment

I hate high reps, I have a powerlifting mindset. If I can get 3 reps for multiple sets, I am moving up. . That's why I am stronger than I am bigger. How old is your son? I have a son about to play High school football(freshman). The hardest part for me with him is Eating. He is only 120 pounds. But at the first day of High school summer work outs, he squatted 245 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X