The Journey Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Journey Back

Thought I'd journal my journey back from surgery up to my show this Fall (10/24/15) The Mid Atlantic Classic here in NC.

As y'all know, I had a second cervical fusion done on 1/22/15 and finally was released to resume normal activities on 3/31/15 and started back in the gym on April 4th.

So far it's been a humbling experience to say the least. Chest, back, tris and legs (no squatting or hacks...not putting any load on my neck/shoulders just yet) movements have been pretty good and not too terribly far off where i was in December. Shoulders on the other hand is another story. I literally almost cried last week. 5 pound dumbbells were a struggle to do lateral raises with (on left side) and 10 pound db was a bitch as well!

I'll be working with Skip again. It looks like I will be training on Friday (back/Bi's), Saturday (chest/tri's) Sunday (legs), Monday (shoulders) Tuesday (flabs & something else). Cardio will be 20/30 minutes on non training days for sure right now until we get into contest prep mode.

I'll be easing back into this and also doing a few session of PT at some point (they still haven't called to schedule it).

A few pictures for perspective (where is was prior to surgery, what they did, and me now)
    Attached Files
    Joe P.
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    Last edited by Joe P.; 04-12-2015, 07:01 PM.
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Last picture wouldn't load with other two for some reason....
    Attached Files
    Joe

Contest History:

Comment

April 12,2015

Trained legs today.

Calves:
      Seated calf raises 3 sets DC Style

Super set of Leg extension and seated leg curls. 6 sets 20, 18,15,12,10,8 reps

Leg Press: 4 sets of 15.

That was it. I will add in lunges next week.

Also did 30 minutes of cardio post work out.
      Joe

Contest History:

Comment

April 13, 2015

Did shoulders tonight. It was a struggle once again. My left side is sooo damn weak and just doesn't "work" right, or feels like that anyway. I can't feel my left bicep "engage" or contract when I do a front double bi or a curl. Need to really get with PT.

Seated db lateral raises 4 sets 20, 15,12, 10 reps. 10's we as heavy as I could go. 😤😠

DB Press: 4 sets of 10- 12 reps. Got up to 20's this week!

Cable side laterals: 10 pounds for 3 sets of 10. Phew a struggle once again on the left side.

DB rear raises: 4 sets 10 reps . Went from 10 pound DB as high as 20's

Cable rear: 3 sets 10 reps.

Plate front raise: 3 sets 20,20,15 reps.

A struggle as I said above, but I'm getting stronger (I think) and it's feeling a bit less awkward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Joe

Contest History:

Comment

April 14, 2015

Did some ab work and 30 minutes of cardio

Feeling frustrated with how I look and feel. I know it's only my second week back but it's still hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Joe

Contest History:

Comment

It's great to see you able to get back in there and train. Just keep moving in the right direction, you'll get there.
            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
              It's great to see you able to get back in there and train. Just keep moving in the right direction, you'll get there.
              Thanks Phoenix. It's getting a bit easier each session in the gym. Strength is slowly coming back and I'm starting to feel like my self....now the trick is to get myself looking like I did before surgery!

It's funny how I lost around 20 pounds after surgery, but feel I look like a marshmellow.
              Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Glad to see you ate feeling better. You'll bounce back quickly I bet.
                2005 HOA Natural Classic
                2006 OCB Midwest
                2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                2008 HOA Natural Classic
                NPC Mid-Illinois
                NPC Midwest Open
                NPC Natural Grand Prix
                2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                USPA Illinois State
                NGA Heart of America
                NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Last week was a pretty good week in the gym. Strength is coming back a little at a time. I was able to get up 15lb db for 6 or 7 decent reps while doing side laterals. It amazes me how my left shoulder just doesn't move the same as the right or like it did before surgery.

Chest was pretty good as well. got 60's for 5 or 6 decent reps (only 40 more pounds to where I was before surgery) for db incline presses.

Still not doing squats, hacks, or leg press. Don't want the load on my neck and shoulders or the strain on my neck from the leg press. I'm finding other ways to crush my legs each Sunday though. Right now I'm super setting leg extension and leg curls 6 sets starting at 20 reps and going down to 6 or 8 for the last. Then finishing off with walking lunges. 4 sets body weight .

My weight is going up too. was at 217 before refeed yesterday (220 this am). I'm not sure how I feel about that right now, I need my body to catch back up to where I was prior to surgery. As I've said before, right now I'm too much marsh mellow around the waist and not enough :bb:, but that will come back with time and hard work. It's only been 4 weeks back at it so far.
                  Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                    Glad to see you ate feeling better. You'll bounce back quickly I bet.
                    Thanks Breck....hope all has been well with you.
                    Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Originally posted by picci002 View Post
                      It's funny how I lost around 20 pounds after surgery, but feel I look like a marshmellow.
                      I understand You are probably your own worst critic though. For all that hardware you've got in there, I'd say you are doing great!
                      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                        I understand You are probably your own worst critic though. For all that hardware you've got in there, I'd say you are doing great!
                        Oh for sure. I'm sure Skip is tired of me thing about this or that by now. I keep getting stronger each work out and feel more and more like the old me. My weight has been hanging around 220 for a week now. I'd love to have it start dropping again.

I'll keep putting in the work and let Skip's program do it's thing.
                        Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Training continues to progress well. I've gotten back just all about all of my strength finally. Still a bit weak and awkward on the left side at times, but it's getting better. I think I did 70lb db's for 6 decent reps on incline press last week, so we are getting there.

My weight is finally coming down. Skip tweaked a few things last week and my body responded pretty well. Weight before Skip Load in Sunday was 218.4.

It's definitely a journey back....
                          Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Working...
                          X