2015 Goals Start Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Goals Start Here

I'm curious to see how long I can keep this journal going into 2015. I've been a member here for some time now so why not a breakdown of what got me to where I am?

2003-2006: First few years working out and got from 134 at 14 years old to 178 at 17.
    2007: Had a hernia operation, mono, and stitches across my thumb preventing serious lifting for most of the year.
    2008-2009: Started playing Baseball again at Community College so no more heavy lifting.
    2009-2012: Went away for my last few years of college and got lazy.
    2013-2014: Started traveling for work and had no access to a real gym.

Most of the weight I gained over those years was when I did DC training as a 17 year old and consumed an immense amount of protein a day. My goals are no longer bodybuilding related, though. My two favorite hobbies requiring physical ability are Softball and Hiking. Two things that don't require strength, but god knows a hike can suck if you aren't in great cardiovascular shape, and its also no fun to be sore the day after a softball game because each muscle in your body only gets worked out at the gym once a week. But, a third hobby I like is to get as strong as I fucking can in the gym. Nothing beats beating that log book.

You'll see I mix in things like Rest Pause sets, 5x5, Speed Days, Plyometrics, Bodyweight exercises, and Olympic lifts. I also target each body part twice a week, while trying to do as much cardio as my legs will allow. I have a 6 day workout with no planned rest days, but at the best case scenario I need 1 day off each week, while other weeks I'll need two depending on how I feel. Also, I do forearms on off days, skip calves from the hiking and jump ropes, and ignore biceps due to all the pulling.

Here are my goals for the first few months of the year and my goals for the end of the year:

Incline Bench: 225 for reps then 250 for reps
    Military Press: 145 for reps then 205 for a max
    Lat Pulldown: 200 for reps then 240 for reps
    Reverse Grip Bench: 180 for reps then who knows
    Deadlift: 315 for reps then 410 for reps
    Squats: 225 for reps then 340 for reps
    Cleans: 185 for 10 sets of 10 reps is the long term goal
    Pullups: 20 straight then 30 straight
    5k Treadmill Run: Under 30 minutes then under 21 minutes

Here is where my strength goals gets difficult, though. I'm currently hovering between 177-183 at 16% Bodyfat, while standing at 5'6 and I don't want to gain anymore weight. Some of my long term goals involve things like hiking Mount Rainier and that would not be fun at 200+ pounds. If I can reach all these goals without being interrupted by life since I may up and go to Southeast Asia to backpack for a few months, then I want to take a shot at training for and competing in Crossfit in 2016.

Here are my most recent workouts. I do one speed day and one strength day for each body part every week, while spending plenty of time stretching any body part I workout:

Chest Strength/Lats Speed
    -Incline Bench Press-215 for 3 sets: 2,2,1
    -Max wide grip pull-up 14,1.
    I do an extra set at the end to reach the next multiple of 5
    -Speed lat pull downs wide grip
    5x8 100
    -Max push-up 50,10
    I do an extra set at the end to reach the next multiple of 10
    -Speed leg raises 4 sets of 7
    These are hanging leg raises as explosive as I can all the way to the top
    -Jog 6mph 15 mins
    -Treadmill Hike 15 mins 1.5 mph and 30 grade incline

Back Speed and Shoulders Speed
    -Cleans 5x5 at 135 lbs.
    -Max handstand push-ups 16
    -Speed military Press 75 pounds 3 sets of 10
    I'll allow these to become a push press by the end of the 3rd set.
    -Row Machine: 100 meters as fast as possible at highest resistance
    6 sets: seconds per set:24,26,28,29,27,25
    -Treadmill Hike at 1.5 mph and 30 grade incline

Tricep Speed and Heavy Legs
    -Tricep push downs speed
    8 sets of 8 at 40 pounds
    Only place you'll find an isolation lift here... I just need to give my shoulders a break otherwise I'd do Reverse Grip Bench Press
    -Deep Squats 145 5x5
    -Rest Pause sets of Speed ab twists on decline bench 25 lb plate 3 sets 52 reps
    -Bike 30 minute Difficulty 4

Lats Strength and Chest Speed
    -Lat Pull Down Wide Grip
    Rest Pause 20 rep goal
    160 8,4,6
    -Max Pullup 7,3
    -Max Pushup 46,4
    -Speed Incline Bench Press
    5x8 95 pounds
    -HIIT Treadmill Sprints 10 mph.
    I basically run as much as I can over a 15 minute time frame and add up the seconds at the end.
    3 minutes at 10mph last time
    -Stairs 15 mins at 1 step/second

Shoulders Strength and Back Strength
    -Military Press
    3 sets of 4-6 reps
    135 pounds for 5,4,5 last time
    -Deadlifts 3 sets of 3-5 reps
    265 for 3, 275 for 3, 285 for 4
    -Max handstand push-up 15
    -Hanging Toe to Bar Leg Raises
    3 Set Rest Pause
    -Treadmill Hike 30 min 1.5 mph 30 incline

Tricep Strength and Leg Speed
    -Reverse Grip Bench Press
    Rest Pause 15-20 Range
    160 5,3,2
    -Supersets of Box Jumps and Double Under Jump Ropes
    5 sets totaling 50 Medium Box Jumps and 100 Double Unders
    "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
    -Trop

So this is the 4th week since I started incorporating Squats back in and I've slowly been increasing weight even if it feels like I could do a little more. I'd rather hit my plateau in 2 months than 1 month at a higher risk of injury. I'm also skipping cardio this week to give my foot a break as I have a minor injury that needs to heal if I want to start running pain free again.

Heres the workout:

-Tricep push downs speed
    8 sets of 10 at 40 pounds
    I judge whether or not the weight can be done for speed if I could make the plates jump on each rep. I'm sure I look like an asshole when the plates accidentally hit the top of the cable, but nothing I can do about that.

-Atg squats 155 4 sets of 5 reps then 175 for 5 reps
    Felt good on these. Only did 145 last week, but I'm thinking about jumping to 175 next week so I gave it a try on my last set.

-Speed ab twists rest paused
    3 sets 54 reps holding a 25 lb. plate
    back was sore from cleans during this exercise so I didn't try to beat my previous number.
    "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
    -Trop

Comment

Decided to take yesterday off... not entirely by choice, more because of a New Years Day hangover.

Got back in the gym today and here are the numbers. Keep in mind, my Rest Pause sets differ from DC training as I do not do forced reps or negatives at any point.

Lats Strength and Chest Speed

-Lat Pull Down Wide Grip
      Rest Pause 20 rep goal
      Last Time: 160 for 8,4,6
      This Time: 180 for 6,3,2

-Max Pullup
      Last Time: 7,3
      This Time: 9,3

-Max Pushup
      Last Time: 46,4
      This Time: 51,9

Last Time:5x8 95 pounds
      This Time: 5X5 105 pounds.
      I know if I am doing this with enough explosiveness if my back is being forced to lift from the bench by any amount.

Skipped Cardio today until my foot gets better. No workout tomorrow so I can head upstate NY to go skiing.
      -Trop

Comment

Something came up in the personal life and I had to skip out on my ski trip... the same day we finally get snow up in the Northeast, but I did some Deadlifts instead lol.

Shoulders Strength and Back Strength

-Military Press
        3 sets of 4-6 reps
        Last Time: 135 pounds for 5,4,5
        This Time: 145 for 3,3,3
        Was very happy to do these strictly. Inching towards an old PR on these. :runaway:

-Deadlifts 3 sets of 3-5 reps
        Last Time: 265 for 3, 275 for 3, 285 for 4
        This Time: 295 for 5,4,4
        I just incorporated using straps two weeks ago, and reincorporated a belt this week so I felt very strong on these. I'll probably jump straight to 315 next week if I'm feeling good.

-Max handstand push-ups
        Last Time: 15
        This Time 17
        I usually do an extra set at the end to reach the next multiple of 5, but I was shot from the deadlifts.

3 Set Rest Pause
        Last Time: 8,4,2
        This Time: 9,4,2
        I swear, I must be unconsciously torturing myself by putting the ab exercise toughest on my grip right after deadlifts... I was definitely happy to beat these by just one.

-Treadmill Hike 30 min 1.5 mph 30 incline
        Skipped cardio today, but this is what the plan would of been.
        -Trop

Comment

So I took yesterday off and also had to skip my Speed Legs and Heavy Triceps day because I'm not sure if my bad foot would of been happy with Box Jumps and Jump Roping. Also, since skipping out on cardio this week, my strength has seemed to benefit a lot... not looking forward to continuing cardio again.

I weighed in at 174 this morning at 5'6. Hoping to get down to 165 in the next few months.

Chest Strength and Lats Speed
          -Incline Bench Press 3x2-4
          Last Time: 215 for 3 sets: 2,2,1
          This Time: 215 for 3,2,2
          Felt very strong on these. This is my 3rd week since starting speed training and I'm starting to notice increased strength at the bottom of my lifts. I definitely felt much stronger on these this time even though I only got 2 more reps overall.

-Max wide grip pull-up
          Last Time: 14,1
          This Time: 15
          I usually do an extra set at the end to reach the next multiple of 5, but I felt drained after I managed to eek out that 15th one.

Last Time: 5x8 100
          This Time: 5X9 100 pounds
          I'm not confident I can go up to the next increment of 120 yet on these and still do them fast.

-Max push-up
          Last Time: 50,10
          This Time: 51,2
          I'm a long way away from doing 100 straight lol.

-Speed straight-leg leg raises
          Last Time: 4 sets of 7
          This Time 4X8
          In-between any ab set, I suck in as hard as I can for 10 seconds. I've always done this for Transverse Abdominals ever since my hernia operation in 2006.

This is what my cardio would have been if my foot wasn't hurting:
          -Jog 6mph 15 mins
          -Treadmill Hike 15 mins 1.5 mph and 30 grade incline
          -Trop

Comment

Somehow weighed in at 180 this morning. I guess I added 6 pounds of water weight and food since yesterday.

This is the most boring workout in my opinion. No strength stuff and not much room for increasing weights on the Cleans since my gym does not have Bumper plates, plus the rows at the end that kick my ass aren't something I look forward to. Luckily, my back didn't feel sore anymore from my Deadlifts a few days ago... I guess thats the benefit of low volume strength training.

Here is the workout:

Back Speed and Shoulders Speed

-Cleans
            Last time: 5x5 at 135 lbs
            This Time: 6x5 at 135 lbs
            I'm working up to 10X5 by adding a set every week, then I'm going to increase the reps per set by 1 each week until I reach 10X10. I can probably do this already, but I'd be immobile the next day. The goal is to build both endurance and explosiveness with this exercise.

-Speed military Press
            Last Time: 75 pounds 3 sets of 10
            This Time:80 for 3X10
            I had to do a bit of a push press to get the last two on my third set. I'll probably add another 5 pounds next week since I was pretty strong on these.

-Max handstand push-ups
            Last Time: 16
            This Time: 11,7
            I do an extra set at the end to reach the next multiple of 5.
            I used to do these before the Speed shoulder exercise, but changed it this week since it seems to slow me down.

-Row Machine: 100 meters as fast as possible at highest resistance
            Last Time: 6 sets: seconds per set:24,26,28,29,27,25
            This Time: 7 sets: seconds per set:25,26,27,29,28,26,27
            I typically rest for as long as it takes to recover between sets. My goal is to stay under 30 seconds on each set.
            These beat the shit outta me this week. Wanted to throw up by the 5th one.

Equipment used for this workout:
            -Compression Knee Sleeves for the whole workout.

My foot was finally pain free today, but I'm still giving it another week or so until I start cardio back up. I'm probably not going to be able to do Squats tomorrow so I may go for a swim to get some cardio in.
            -Trop

Comment

I haven't been able to get into a gym on a consistent basis in over two years. Now that I've been back for a few months, I've realized absolutely no one re-racks weights when they are done using them.

In the past when this happened, people would at least clean something off if you were waiting for them to finish so you could use the bar. However, now people just walk away as if you want to use the exact weight and do the exact exercise they finished off with.

I guess hearing someone say "Its all you" as they walk away from their un-racked plates, I get angry and lift more, but still....

Anyway, I decided to say fuck it with my planned off day and went to the gym.

-Tricep push downs speed
              Last Time: 8 sets of 10 at 40 pounds
              This Time: 8 sets of 8 at 42.5 pounds
              Only place you'll find an isolation lift here... I just need to give my shoulders a break otherwise I'd do Reverse Grip Bench Press

-Deep Squats
              Last Time: 155 4x5, 175 1x5
              This Time: 185 5X5
              Decided to push myself on these. For some reason I added a pause to the bottom of each rep. It kind of just happened. Maybe the weight was heavier than I mentally prepared myself for since I wasn't planning on jumping to 185 yet. Also reincorporated a belt on these this week so that definitely helped.

3 Set Rest Pause
              Last Time: 9,4,2
              This Time: 10,4,3
              Moved this exercise from another day since the twists I was doing are tough on my back after Cleans yesterday and Squats today.

Skipped Cardio again, but here is what the plan would of been.
              -Bike 30 minute Difficulty 4, maintaining minimum 85 rpm

Equipment Used:
              -Compression Knee Sleeves
              -Belt for working Squat sets.

I wanted to get this workout in since I'll be going skiing twice in the next week and need my legs to be fresh. I was happy to jump in weight a bit in squats since it will be a while until I get to do them heavy again.
              mhschiefs97
              Middleweight Member
              Last edited by mhschiefs97; 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM.
              -Trop

Comment

Felt a little sluggish today. Not sure if it had to do with my 174.5 lb bodyweight, which would be my lowest in two weeks.

Lats Maximum Effort and Chest Dynamic Effort

-Lat Pull Down Wide Grip
                Rest Pause 20 rep goal
                Last Time: 180 for 6,3,2
                This Time: 180 for 7,3,3

Last Time: 5X5 105 pounds.
                This Time: 5 sets with 105 pounds for 7,6,6,6,6

-Max Pullup
                Last Time: 9,3
                This Time: 12,4
                I pushed this back in my workout to save energy for the Speed Incline Bench.

-Max Pushup
                Last Time: 51,9
                This Time: 53,7
                I pushed this back in my workout to save energy for the Speed Incline Bench.
                I start to get out of breath on these around 40 so if I ever want to make another big improvement, I'm gonna have to figure out a way to improve my cardio during lifts, which should benefit the rest of my workouts.

Taking a much needed off day tomorrow, then skiing Saturday. I should be getting my next workout in on Sunday.
                -Trop

Comment

Just finished limping around the gym to get in a workout. I went skiing on Saturday and I injured my right foot in another location then the previous injury so I had to skip a couple workouts to stay off my feet. I'm probably going to take it easier at the gym this week since I'm heading to Boston for the long weekend.

I'll be starting my new workout next Monday. This workout was basically a trial of mixing Maximum Effort and Dynamic Effort days. Now that I have an idea of good exercises, rep ranges, and amounts of sets; I'm just making some final touches on it.

Chest Maximum Effort and Lats Dynamic Effort

-Incline Bench Press 3x2-4
                  Last Time: 215 for 3 sets: 3,2,2
                  This Time: 220 for 2,2,2
                  Getting close to 225 on this. A goal of mine for a long time. Today was a PR, though so I gotta be happy about it.

Last Time: 5x9 100
                  This Time: 5X10 100
                  Felt very good on these since I pushed the pull ups to the end of my workout.

-Max push-up
                  Last Time: 51,4
                  This Time: 43,17

-Max wide grip pull-up
                  Last Time: 15
                  This Time: 8,6

I think my lack of cardio the past couple of weeks started to show on my bodyweight exercises. Excited to start trying out lifting oriented HIIT cardio next week, which should allow me to continue doing cardio even if I need to give my legs a break. Hat tip to Hellaswole for the idea.
                  -Trop

Comment

Got back from 5 or so days in Boston this weekend and back in the gym today to start my new workout. Outline of the workout is below. I'm keeping the volume relatively low on the Max Effort days to help with recovery through the week.

Monday
                    Max Effort Upper Body
                    (Alternating A and B workouts each week)
                    Lower Body based Cardio

Tuesday
                    Dynamic Effort Lower Body
                    Upper Body Calisthenics based HIIT Cardio

Wednesday
                    Triathalon Day: Jog, Bike, Swim
                    Alternating with
                    Mountain Climb Day: 30 percent incline Treadmill Hike

Thursday:
                    Dynamic Effort Upper Body
                    HIIT Cardio on Rowing Machine alternates with Distance on B weeks.

Friday:
                    Max Effort Lower Body Day
                    Upper Body Calisthenics based HIIT Cardio

Saturday:
                    Rest

Sunday:
                    Softball/Baseball activities since I play on a Sunday league.

A and B workouts also alternate between Max Effort and Dynamic Effort each week. This workout is designed to just skip a day if I need to miss one.
                    -Trop

Comment

Todays Workout:

Monday Upper Body Max Effort A

Wide Grip Pullups
                      This Time: BW+25 for 3, then BW+35 for 2x3

Military Press
                      This Time: 150 for 3x3

Dips
                      This Time: BW+35 for 3x5
                      Definitely could of gone heavier on these, but my body always takes some time to adjust to doing Dips so I'm taking it slow on these.

Deadlifts:
                      This Time: 305 for 3x3
                      Felt iffy on these. Strong on my 3rd set, but weak on my first two. Could just be the time off...
                      Used a belt and straps on these.

Cardio:
                      Right foot is still bad so I used an elliptical for 11 minutes, then stopped when I felt some slight pain in my foot.
                      mhschiefs97
                      Middleweight Member
                      Last edited by mhschiefs97; 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM.
                      -Trop

Comment

Today's Workout:

Tuesday Lower Body Dynamic Effort A

Box Jumps
                        This Time:10x5 (24 inch height)
                        Felt good on these and took plenty of time between sets.

HIIT Upper Body Cardio
                        Battle Ropes 30 raises per arm
                        10 Pushups
                        4 Toe to Bar Hanging Leg Raises
                        This Time: 4 rounds in 10 minutes

I know the HIIT Upper Body Cardio sounds more like Crossfit, but I got the idea from HellaSwole talking about his exercise based cardio rather than something traditional like running or cycling. The 10 minutes of those had me ready to throw up and I was intending to do 15 minutes going in. I'm curious to see how my body responds tomorrow after two straight days of upper body and lower body work.
                        mhschiefs97
                        Middleweight Member
                        Last edited by mhschiefs97; 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM.
                        -Trop

Comment

Weighed 170.0 today on the scale, which is the lowest since I got back in the gym a few months ago. I may have to lower my goal past 165 to 160, but once I get there I may decide I want some more muscle on me. We'll see... For now, the goal is to stay consistent, and most importantly, injury free.

So today was my first Triathlon Day. I took some influence from this guy's two part series when building my routine
                          http://www.completehumanperformance....es-part-1.html.

The author claims to be the only one to ever qualify for Hawaii's Ironman while also sporting a 700 pound deadlift.

Wednesday Distance Cardio A
                          Triathlon Day

Bike (Seat height 6)
                          This time: 20 min, 71 cal, 4.5 miles, level 1

Treadmill (Incline level 1)
                          This time: 20 minute, 86 cal, 1 miles, 3 mph average

Swim (Lap Ratio is 2 Butterfly variation:1 freestyle)
                          This time: 18 laps, 20 mins

Took it very easy today. Right foot is still bothering me so I figured I'd set easy baselines to beat next time this day rolls around.

Also pulled my right lat where it connects to the oblique... I didn't feel myself pull it, it just started hurting after my workout. For some reason I'm prone to this thing. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my workout tomorrow.
                          mhschiefs97
                          Middleweight Member
                          Last edited by mhschiefs97; 01-21-2015, 08:55 PM.
                          -Trop

Comment

Hurt myself during my last workout. Somehow managed to strain my back pretty bad from swimming for the first time in a few months. I took it easy since and went hard for the first time again today.

Monday 1 Max Effort

Pull-ups
                            Last time: BW+25 for 3, BW+35 for 3,3
                            This time: BW+45 for 2,3,2

Military press
                            Last time 150 3x3
                            This time: 155 2,3,2

Dips 3x5
                            Last time: BW+35 for 3x5
                            This time: Completely forgot to do these since I was doing my workout off memory.

Deadlifts
                            Last time:305 for 3x3
                            This time: 315 for 3,3,5
                            Felt really strong on these. Would of gotten more than 5 reps on my last set but my phone was dangling by my headphones cord and didn't want to smash it with 315 pounds. THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST TIME I'VE DONE THIS WEIGHT SINCE MY HERNIA OPERATION 8 YEARS AGO :first: So I'm pretty happy about this.

Video of my first set of Deads
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdC40NmJjw

Running stride length elliptical machine thing
                            Last time: 11 minutes 2 miles 94 calories level 1
                            This time: 16:46 minutes 3 miles 140 calories level 1
                            mhschiefs97
                            Middleweight Member
                            Last edited by mhschiefs97; 02-03-2015, 03:37 AM.
                            -Trop

Comment

Working...
                            X