Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinging Slag: Road to my Legacy

HAHA! My return.
    I had a previous journal with very little posts. Work was just to much for me to keep up with my training, dieting, and IntenseMuscle.

I have a new job now. things are looking a lot different in my life, POSITIVE!
    I got a ART (active reserve tech) position with my reserve unit in the Air Force. Federal employee with federal benefits, retirements, and FEDRAL BREAKS! 2 30min breaks and a 1 hour lunch....you all know what that means!! Food Food and more FOOD. I now get 3 days off during the week so SkipLoading won’t be a problem anymore...my anxiety levels have lowered greatly. I know have a job that compliments by Slinging Slag hobby.

I am a bodybuilder and I did compete in 2013 and i have improved my physique a ton.

In these recent days, I am contemplating doing a powerlifting meet in May at Tulsa, OK. I doubt I’m going to drop any weight, my workouts aren’t going to vary to much from a BB style except for the big 3. You know, I still want to look pretty.

Have you ever looked at a Powerlifter (ones that are appealing) they just have a ton of density. They are hard and grainy. That’s why I didn’t shy away from the idea when asked, this will only improve my physique.

Last night was my first PL style workout. Deads. I’m working on pulling sumo style. It allows me to keep a more upright angle. The transition from normally pulling conventional to sumo is what we worked on last night. I have to remember to drive my hips Drive Drive DRIVE while keeping my arms locked out and neck straight. A lot to learn but I’m going to get it and my numbers will go up.

Here’s the numbers from last night.

Did some hip mobility work with goblins then got into the deads.

set 1: 225 x warm up hip drive
    set 2: 275 x 8 x 2 loaded a little weight to still work on the hip drive.
    (working on finding 5 rep max)
    set 3: 315 x 5 getting the motion down need to get the consistency
    set 4: 345 x 5 (we called this my 5 rep max)
    (working on finding my 3 rep max)
    set 5: 365 x 3 (we called this good, 3 rep max)
    set 6,7,8: worked 365 x 3 x 3
    then we worked backwards, the maxes, with respectable reps :preggers:

I did try to push myself a little bit, but I was more focused on getting the motion and drive down. I feel I’ll pick it up quickly, then the weight will start rising.

Friday Bench
    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

on all pulls flex your tri's... it will ensure you keep your arms locked and reduce any chance of tearing a bicep, (guys always keep a little bend in thier arms when pulling and thats when POW!)
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
      on all pulls flex your tri's... it will ensure you keep your arms locked and reduce any chance of tearing a bicep, (guys always keep a little bend in thier arms when pulling and thats when POW!)
      Right on! this might also help me keep my shoulders back and down.

How does a person decide wether to pull sumo over conventional. I am more comfortable (hip mobility) with conventional from the years of pulling that way.
      I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

hell if i know....thats an ongoing debate in PL'ing. Right now I only pull convnetional, but normally i deadlift and front squat then later in the week squat and sumo..love doing it htat way
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
          hell if i know....thats an ongoing debate in PL'ing. Right now I only pull convnetional, but normally i deadlift and front squat then later in the week squat and sumo..love doing it htat way
          I think I might pull conventional. If I'm already comfortable with it why not right..? I can get deep in the set up and back is still in an upright position

Comment

And when I squat I'm in a more conventional stance as well. So I'm not gonna change that up. Might as well keep everything the same between squats and deads to maximize the workouts.

Comment

In these recent days, I am contemplating doing a powerlifting meet in May at Tulsa, OK. I doubt I’m going to drop any weight, my workouts aren’t going to vary to much from a BB style except for the big 3. You know, I still want to look pretty.

Have you ever looked at a Powerlifter (ones that are appealing) they just have a ton of density. They are hard and grainy. That’s why I didn’t shy away from the idea when asked, this will only improve my
              Friday Bench[/QUOTE]

!! I totally get that... Me too. I am moving from BB ing to training for my first pl meet as well. Loving it! Good luck to you!
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                !! I totally get that... Me too. I am moving from BB ing to training for my first pl meet as well. Loving it! Good luck to you!
                Thanks Jen and good luck to yourself. How much longer till your meet? Ill be following your journal, see if I can keep up with ya!

Comment

12-18-2014

Chest/shoulders/tris

First PL chest da,y was surprised how I did. I do not do flag bench very often, mostly incline and decline for BB purposes.

Warm up to 8 reps working on speed.
                  185,225x8x1
                  Working to 5 rep max speed work as well
                  245x5x1
                  255x5x1 max
                  Worked to 3 rep max
                  265x3x3

Then we went back down with respected reps
                  235x5 working on speed
                  185x8+4 extra

DB shoulder press
                  45#x14 warm up
                  70#x8x2

Skulls
                  25#x12x8x6

Cable pull downs
                  100x12
                  110x10
                  120x8
                  110x12 80x10 60xfailure

That's a wrap!!

Great day at smashing food as well. Got in an extra meal before training and filled out nicely #skinisoverrated!

Comment

12/22/2014

Was this workout absolutely horrible...

Today I had squats. Partner wasn't present either... But I also had my physical training test for the Air Force. Which consist if max push ups in a minute, max crunches in a minute, and a mile .5 run. If I'm like other IMers I hate running just as much as you all do!!
                    My mile .5 time was 12:20... A lot slower than my previous years....could it be cause my weight is 200+... Maybe lol
                    Push ups I got a whopping 70 in a row in a minute.
                    Sit ups was 55 in a minute 3 shy of max points.
                    Sounds like an easy test right, well it is!! But not if you're PL squatting afterwards

Getting to the gym I could feel it, legs hurt and knees like grinders, but I went on. Warming up was tough seemed like I had pins in my knees and they would click in the notches at every angle. Like most gym equipment. But I went on.

Squats

135 warmup to 20 reps....HARD!!

Then to find 8 rep max

225x8x1.. Easy right...no (Now I would do my WM with 225)
                    275 x8x1 called this max... Struggling

Worked on 5 rep max

315 for 5...ok (325 for 6 is my max for WM)
                    325x5x1.. Got 4 ok call it max. Little bummed but moving on.

Finding 3 rep max and working

335x3x1 good reasonable choice...? NOO! This was the hardest damn rep I've ever accomplish. But I feel I should have gotten 3, but 2 full reps.
                    Try again, 335x2x1 failure...
                    And again 335x0x1 lol ugh shit sucked!!

So I went to my 315x3x3 and worked there hitting mostly 2s. I could not recover for the life of me!!

Then worked down with respectable reps

225x8x1
                    135x15x1
                    Both working on explosion...lol 135 u really gotta hold onto the bar

Then I went to the sled to work 5 plates for 20

After second set I called it a night

This workout was a grinder for the worst

NOTE TO SELF DONT WORKOUT AFTER A MILITARY TRAINING TEST!

Comment

12/24/2014

Happy Christmas Eve!
                      I will not be working out over the holidays. I find it more exciting and have better life experiences spending time with Taylor and my family.
                      Once I get off work we will be headed to Texas. It’s her first Christmas back in the states, so we agreed to spend Christmas day at her parents’ house. We’ll be in the Allen/McKinney area near Dallas. I plan on smashing a TON of food! Her mother always insist I clean up all left overs so she doesn’t have to pack them away or throw them away, and I accept the challenge. Hell, It’s that time of the year where you relax right? I won’t lose a Pro Card over it and I’m not prepping for a show, so I’m going to enjoy the great food. I’m excited for all the gifts too, still young at heart and very appreciative. Hope we get some good stuff! Protein powder, creatine, maybe even some aminos, that half natty stuff No, No I need clothes that fit! Taylor and I moved to OKC, in the process, I’ve been bouncing jobs and just trying to make ends meet. This will be catching up time on things we need!

Then on the 26th well be on the road again, headed to see my kin folk in Missouri. We usually do a big Christmas Party after Christmas. My dad has 9 brothers and sisters. It’s a BIG family. Me being in the military there’s so many new chitlens running around that I’m not sure who they belong to or even their names. :/ JK, I’m a good cousin with the help of my sister HAH! We usually have a lot of fun. We play this game called Block’s trivia which gets debatable at times (let the good times roll). My ole man and I are VERY VERY competitive and we take it a little too seriously, I mean c’mon everyone has to know their aunts last yeast infection!! EW! I just made my stomach hurt and lost my appetite. ALL GAINZ LOST! We’ll be having a big big dinner and opening gifts as well, the usah.

Sunday is our road trip headed back to Ole OKC, just in time for a good DL session on Munday. I don’t see myself sticking to a strict meal plan; visiting family and having fun will alter this. But, I will be getting some calories in, definitely, a caloric surplus!

REMEMBER! During this holiday season BE SAFE. Drink Responsibly, Drive Responsibly.
                      Most importantly HAVE FUN, Life happens more than numbers ever will.

And have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
                      Last edited by ShankS; 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

12/30/2014
                        Morning everyone hope your holidays went as good as mine!
                        Taylor and I got a lot of good stuff for Christmas, but had an even better time with friends and family. I ate some great food and stayed stuffed every day of the break.
                        My dad went all out with the Christmas decorations, with a Griswold’s theme. He had the tree that was too big, the squirrel in the tree, the Jell-O mold with cat food, and the lights, the dickey, my uncle said the pledge of allegiance for our prayer…we also had a Christmas Vacation trivia game and my team (team 3) won. While in Texas, Taylor’s parents, also put together a Christmas Vacation trivia game so we knew a lot of the questions. You could call it cheating; I call it being a veteran and an opportunity.
                        Last night, Monday.
                        Was a deadlift day and I accepted the #deadliftFace challenge.

I warmed up with bent over rows and pull ups
                        135x2x2
                        155x10
                        175x10
                        185x10

Deads
                        Warmup 225x10 x2
                        Finding 8 rep max
                        275x8
                        315x8
                        Finding 5 rep max
                        335x5x1
                        365x5x1 (that’s a 20lb increase from my last time deadlifting from my 3 rep max to a 5 rep max)
                        Working 3 rep max
                        375x2x2 (10lb working PR)
                        365x2x1
                        Then I work backwards
                        315x5x1
                        285x10x2

DB rows
                        80x10x1 for warm up
                        90x10
                        100x8x2
                        105x6

Supinated Latt pulls
                        120x10x1 warm up
                        160x10
                        180x8x2
                        200x6

Bent over flys/delt dec
                        20x10 warm up
                        25x10
                        30x8x2
                        35x6
                        120x10 for every superset on the delt dec machine
                        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome back (to work and school) and Happy New Year! My New Year break went fairly well.
                          Taylor and I stuck to our little tradition on making homemade pizza; of course I had to alter it a bit. I posted pictures and here is the macro count for the Carb BomB.
                          1 pizza crust 90g carbs
                          2 cups baby red potatoes fried in coconut oil 48g carbs
                          1 can of chicken 60g protein
                          .5 cup mozzarella cheese 10g fat
                          Pizza sauce with oregano, Italian seasoning, and garlic pepper

I didn’t have any problems trying to find a gym to train at and of course the gym was completely empy. All the “Go Hard” people were probably pounding those empty carbs on a bar stool somewhere. The main one was closed to inclement weather, so I trained at the Xfit heavy gym for bench day. NYE was an off squat day. I rotate deads and squats every Monday and Wednesday is the off (squats if deads Monday and vice versa) day. I still want to work every body part individually each week. Hence the off day.
                          Wednesday was a very good training day. Although I didn’t go to heavy, I worked on speed throughout the rep and power throughout the rep using reversed/negative bands.
                          Wednesday Squats 12/31/2014
                          I worked on the rep ranges of 6-8
                          Warmup:
                          135x2x2
                          185x6
                          205x6
                          Working:
                          225x8x1 banded and worked up to 315 banded.
                          Sled press
                          I warmed up with:
                          5 plates focusing on TUT
                          Blasted 2 sets of
                          12 plates x 20
                          The bands were -50# and I liked this work out a lot. Since it was an off day I favored my back, I wanted it to rest up.
                          I posted a picture that shows how the bands were placed around the bar. The power racks at our gym are set up to attach accessories such as these and it makes it much easier for balance and placement.

Friday 1/2/2015
                          Bench day and this was in the Xfit gym. We didn’t do what we normally do shoot for our 8 rep max, 5 rep max, and 3 rep max x 3. This workout all we did doing our set of 8 and then worked sets of 5.
                          Bench
                          135 x 10x 2 working on speed from the pause
                          185 x10 same thing, working on speed from the pause.
                          Then this is where we got some odd looks from the Xfitters. I’m sure well be seeing WODs and hear about new injuries involving throwing CHAINS over their heads attached to bars
                          Working
                          205 x 5 x 1 +30# of chains
                          225 x 5 x 5 +30# of chains.
                          Then our drop set to 155x 8 reps x2 +30# chain and J- presses, which are new to me, it teaches how to control the weight and recover when the weight comes off line. I didn’t go heavy on this, my shoulders were tight and I didn’t want to stress them. I think, I worked to 115 for a good set of 8 but nothing more.
                          I also did shoulders and triceps this day
                          Machine shoulder press
                          Warm-up
                          60#
                          Working
                          80 x 10
                          90 x 8 x 2
                          100 x6 x1
                          Cable lateral fly
                          Warm-up
                          20#
                          30 x 15
                          40 x 12 x 2
                          50 x 10
                          I tend to stay with higher a rep, that’s just how my shoulders grow. High volume and intensity

Triceps
                          Skulls
                          Warm-up
                          20#
                          Working
                          25 x 10
                          30 x 8 x 2
                          And I stayed with 30 and went to failure. I got a huge pump from doing this and it felt great.
                          Cable press down
                          I more or less focused on the feel of the exercise. This was the last exercise of the workout and I wanted to finish well. I was getting taxed at this time and time was wearing on me. It was a different machine from what I was used to so I played with the weights first. Here’s the numbers of my last exercise.
                          warm-up
                          50#
                          Working
                          60 x 10
                          70x 10
                          80 x 10 x 2 with a 2 drop set

Headed home and ate a huge bowel of Trix and a bag of sour patch gummies. The gummies have 50g carbs and I eat about 90g of carbs from the cereal. A BIG insulin bomb!

Taylor and I also went shopping after all the holidays were over and got a lot of deals on potatoes. CHECK OUT our potato meme. Haha, its classic!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X