Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Geritol Diaries

This first entry is a teaser.

I wanted to start the thread before I forgot the totally awesome title.

Don't get your hopes up, though. I am exceedingly mediocre. I will be journaling my progress from - to paraphrase Dan John - 'shit' to 'suck' in the size game. Or to put it another way, I will be mirroring Skip's journey - if Skip was a trailer trash ne're-do-well on the cusp of turning 50.

More to come later.

It gets better. I promise. Really. I feel like the WB cartoon and my journal is the singing frog.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying that I will be 50 in 2.5 weeks. Except for a brief 2-3 year gymrat phase from about about ages 16-19, I never got into the lifting thing until my late 30's. My teens and 20's were spent cowboying and living the dream. The first half of my 30's was a desperate scramble to correct the stupidity of the prior 15 years.

It's been since I turned 40 that I became serious about weight training. People say you can't grow after 40. They're wrong. The summer of my 40th year, I went from 202 to a little under 250. Granted it was chemically assisted, but it was the culmination of a shit fucking ton of hard work.

Anyhow - those are the high points of my background.

I haven't really trained at all to speak of since April when I blew a disc and pulled the crap out of my groin. I had thoughts of training and maybe entering a senior division PL meet. But since then, every time I've tried to get back into the gym with either 5/3/1 or 10/20/Life or anything powerlifting-related, I had absolutely no desire. The movements all felt awkward and I did not enjoy any aspect of lifting.

And I was weak. I still am woefully weak in all lifts across the board. Not that I would have ever been mistaken for an elite level lifter in the past - but my strength levels right now are laughable.

The only program that I can say I actually loved was DC. Still is DC. Mainly because the shit works. I'm not knocking the 5/3/1 or the 10/20/Life programs - they just aren't for me. Powerlifting is just not for me. I won't call what I'm doing DC, but my program mirrors DC almost exactly - just with much higher RP rep ranges. Why? Because I love it. Because RP sets and beating the logbook gives me a geriatric hard-on.

So this is a journal to keep myself accountable in a quest to prove - like I did
      at 40 - that I can still put on some mass.

Comment

Good luck. I will follow along in your footsteps
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Stats:
          Height: 5'10"
          Weight: 219
          BF: calipers say 12%, I 'm saying probably more like 13-14%. visible abs, but a general soft appearance.

My program:
          2 day split, training 3X/week -
          Rep ranges -
          - 21-25 RP on multi-joint compound exercises
          - 25-30 RP on single joint isolation
          - Two working straight sets on squats and all back thickness
          - First set 12-15SS, second set 8-10SS

Injuries to work around:
          - blown disc in lower back
          - Achilles tendonitis
          - totally fucked knees. Sounds like someone is popping bubble wrap when I squat and it feels like a gravel pit is in there.

Diet:
          Some might call it keto, and I guess it is - but no carbs except for immediately PWO and one cheat day per week. I have a rather sedentary lifestyle and carbs have proven to be the enemy.

Supplements -
          Nothing really beyond a daily multi, glucosamine, and a couple of chewable baby aspirin (mainly because they taste good).

I am on TRT -
          200mg enanthate
          200mg deca (just added yesterday)
          50mg VIt D
          adex
          hcg

Now to start the journal.

Comment

I have noticed I prefer the opposite of the following rep ranges... have you tried it the other way? Doing the heavier set first, then the lighter back-off set...

Two working straight sets on squats and all back thickness
            - First set 8-10SS, second set 12-15SS

Comment

It didn't make it to the keyboard the way I had it in my head.

I like doing the light set ahead of the heavy set with deads and rack pulls. That part is correct.

But with squats/quads - heavy set first, then finish up with a 20-rep widow maker. Until my knee sleeves come in, squats are going to be extremely lightweight.

Comment

Following with interest since I am one year older and about the same height and weight. Good luck on your goals!

Comment

Originally posted by rainjack View Post
                  It didn't make it to the keyboard the way I had it in my head.

I like doing the light set ahead of the heavy set with deads and rack pulls. That part is correct.

But with squats/quads - heavy set first, then finish up with a 20-rep widow maker. Until my knee sleeves come in, squats are going to be extremely lightweight.
                  I like your set-up regardless. May have to give this a try once I am ready to get back on a DC "inspired" program

Comment

Monday -
                    WO#1
                    Chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

Incline Bench - LT 21RP TT +10lbs 24RP
                    Seated DB Rows LT 15RP TT same weight 21RP
                    Bench Skull Crushers LT 28RP TT +5lbs 27RP
                    Pull Downs LT 21RP TT+10 25RP
                    Dead Lift LT 12SS 6SS TT +10lbs both sets 15SS 8SS

Increases are probably due to just getting back in the groove. I purposely started light and tried to just concentrate on form. I don't expect to see these types of increases week over week.

One deviation from DC is I am picking only one movement per body part for this first blast. And my blast will only last 5 weeks.

Comment

Wednesday
                      WO#2
                      Biceps, forearms, calve, hamstrings, quads.

Standing Curls w/EZ Curl LT 21RP TT +5lbs 22RP
                      Pinwheel Curls LT 22SS TT same weight 27SS
                      Barbell calf raises LT 10SS TT same weight10SS
                      Glute Ham Raises LT BW 20RP TT +10 22RP
                      Squats LT 10SS TT +10 12SS

Taking it light on squats until I get my sleeves in. I had a pair of heavy wraps, but I lost one somewhere. Maybe with the combo of some sleeves and the deca kicking in, the discomfort in my knees will decrease.

I should have qualified all this by saying I lift at the gym I built in the back room of my office building which is yet another departure from the biblical DC program.

I need to build a step or a box for calf raises. What I'm doing is not acceptable.

The GHR's are done on a real GHR bench from EliteFTS.

Comment

Updates? How's it going for you?

Comment

Working...
                        X