Road to my second show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to my second show

I've been on here awhile but haven't posted much. I've been training for about 6 years steady but I've done it on and off since around 13 years old. My diet has been very inconsistent, well shitty for the most part, but was able to make progress pretty easily. Problem is I got fat in the process. I've wanted to compete since I was in high school but I never committed. I always put it off thinking I needed to get bigger. This year I realized with that mentality it would never happen and decided it was now or never. My career was uncertain at the time. I had no idea what I was going to do after the Air Force or if I was even getting out. It was the worst possible time to take on a show, but at the same time my anger towards the Air Force doctors gave me a focus and determination that made it a great time to do this (as long as I didn't think about my finances ha)!
    I got with someone I trusted, you all should know him as Fade, and got to work cleaning up my diet. At first, I just wanted to recomp and get into striking distance of a show. When I contacted him I was 217 lbs at 5'4". I made pretty quick progress and decided on a show at about 18 weeks out. I ended up dropping 55 lbs and around 10 inches off my waist. I competed at the NPC All Star Championships last weekend and ended up 5th in novice, third in masters and I'm waiting on feedback for my placing in the open (didn't make top 5 there). My next show I plan on coming in bigger and much leaner by staying lean this offseason. My lower back and hams hurt me conditioning wise as well as loose skin in my lower abs.
    I'm not sure when I'll do my next show. Possibly as soon as the Midway in Wichita in May or may wait till this time next year with the All Star again or the OKC Grand Prix.
    I'm going to log my progress here and see how things go with a much better diet. I'll post up my progress from this year in the next post.
    2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
    2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
    2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Here are some transformation pics and some from the show.
    Attached Files

Comment

Compact & muscular. Good luck to you. Will follow along.
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Comment

I've always trained high volume and high frequency, usually 6 days a week. I got pretty banged up during this prep especially, but aches and pains have been pretty frequent. I'll be 40 next year and with some of the things I've got going on I need to be smarter about it. I'll be doing a legs, push, pull type routine and training every other day. Maybe two days off at the end of the week if I think I need it.

I'm slowly adding carbs back in to my diet and keeping them to my first three meals on training days. Train after meal 1 right now. Off days I'm doing cardio and slowly ramping that down as well. I'll start having one carb meal early in the day those days this week.

My weight this morning was 168, so up just a few lbs the week following the show. I was 164 - 166 one week out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Comment

I was feeling good this morning so went with one day of rest and hit legs after my first meal.

Warmed up with 3 sets extensions and lying curls back and forth with very minimal rest.

Squats 4 sets starting with 15 reps then down to 6 as weight increased.
            Hacks 4 sets same fashion
            Leg press 4 sets 10-15
            Extensions 3sets 15-12
            Glute ham raises 3 sets 15
            Lying curls 3 sets 15-12
            Seated curls 3 sets 15-12
            Standing calves 4 sets 25-12
            Three supersets of crunches and legs raises

Strength is still down but slowly coming back. Had a pretty intense pump by the time I got to leg press.

Increasing protein 10g per meal to get me back to 40g tomorrow. I'll monitor my weight and see how that works out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Comment

Cardio only today. Did 30 mins elliptical after meal 1. One 30g meal of carbs today, the rest pro / fat at 8g and 16g rotated. Legs are a little sore. Went a little heavier but not as intense as pre contest.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Comment

This morning was chest ,delts and triceps

Bb press 4x15-6 drop set at the end
                Incline hs 4x15-8 drop set at the end
                Flat db flys 3x12
                Cable cross overs 3x12
                Smith overhead press 4x15-8
                *Next two supersetted
                Db side raises 3x10
                Db front raises 3x10
                Upright row 3x10
                Smith close grip bench 4x15-8
                Bb skulls 4x15-8
                Rope push downs 4 x12-8
                Overhead db ext 3x10
                Leg press calves 4x20-12

Done in about 90 mins. Didn't sleep well but got going alright. Rear delts will be with back Thursday.

Cut off carbs after 3rd meal. I'm waiting on another mri on my chest and collar bone. I've got some bone on bone issues in my shoulder and collar bone sternum attachment. Not sure what's going on in my upper chest. They don't think it's torn but want to see if somethings wrong. It feels weak and hurts but not sure if it's just the collar bone. I felt good today so went at it hard but smart. If you can call smart not just taking some time off. I've been dealing with it since June and hopefully all I need is cortisone injections.

Comment

30 mins of step mill today. Did hill intervals but not exactly hiit. Each interval becomes the next rest level as it goes up the hill. It is pretty intense at higher levels. I wasn't able to complete it back in June so I tried it this morning at a higher level than my previous fail. It was cool to see how far I've come conditioning wise. Low carb day and I'm more hungry than two days ago. I'll weigh myself at the end of the week and I imagine I'll be ready for an another diet adjustment.

Comment

Back, rear delts and biceps

Pulldowns 4x12-8
                    Close neutral grip pull ups 4x15-8
                    Bent over Bb row 4x12-8
                    Cable row 4x12-8
                    Rack deads 4x12-6
                    Reverse peck deck 4x12-8
                    Bb preacher curls 4x15-8
                    Cable ez bar 21s 3 sets
                    *supersetted with roman chair crunches
                    Pinwheel curls 3x12-8

I tried a couple different seating positions on the cable row using a small step box or whatever you call it. Just trying to get a little different angle to hit it differently. Didn't work out well but maybe one of those plastic step things would work better. Strength still isn't back up there by gauging my bent over row weight but I think I'm doing a better job feeling my back work.

Comment

Friday I caught up on my sleep a bit and just walked my Husky before work. I walk her about 3 miles a day anyway so she got two walks yesterday.

Today was legs

Warmup with ext and curls 3 sets back and forth no rest

Box squats 5x15-6
                      Hack squats 4x12-8
                      Leg press 4x15-10
                      Leg ext 3x12
                      Smith lunges 3x12
                      Leg curls 3x12
                      Seated leg curls 3x12
                      Standing calves 5x25x12

Woke up every couple hours last night but felt good. I was itching to train today. Strength is coming up. Almost back to where I was before my prep but weighing much less. Had a pretty high carb day but cut them off at noon after meal 3.

Comment

Weight is 169 this morning so just up a pound. Not sure if that's good or if I should up carbs some more.

Comment

Chest, front/side delts, triceps today.

incline smith 4x15-8
                          incline db fly 3x12
                          HS press 4x15-8
                          db fly 3x12
                          cable fly 3x12
                          smith behind the neck press 4x15-8
                          db laterals 4x12-8
                          smith upright row 3x10
                          machine lateral 3x12
                          straight bar cable pushdowns 4x15-12
                          decline ez-bar extensions (barbell skulls) 4x12-8
                          rope pushdowns 4x15-10
                          over head db extensions 3x10

did some roman chair crunches inbetween my rope push downs
                          leg press calves 4x20x12 giant set these with bodyweight standing calf raises off the back side of squat rack horizontal support, then off the floor each time till I couldnt take the burn any longer.

I made sure to stretch well after this session and trying to be better with that. Basically dc type stretches, but not logging it or paying attention to time right now.

I haven't decided if I'm going to eventually move on to DC or give fortitude a chance in a month or so, we'll see. Either will be a good option I think with morning training and not a lot of people taking up equipment I plan on using.

I'm working a second job this evening so there will be no cardio tomorrow. It'll be a challenge getting all this stuff in with a second job, but I'll make it work. It should just be over the holidays unless I can balance everything well and handle doing it for longer.

Comment

Yesterday morning was back, rear delts, bis

Rack deads 5x12-6
                            Underhand grip pulldowns 4x12-8
                            Tbar rows 4x12-8 with a strip set at the end
                            Neutral grip pull ups 4x12-8
                            Close grip low pulley row 4x12-8
                            Straight arm rope pulls 4x15-10
                            Bb preacher 4x12-8 used 10lb plates and strip set at the end
                            Cable ez bar 21s 3x21
                            Pinwheel curls 3x10

Did one set of db bent laterals but got some pain with a injury I've been battling since June so I stopped.

Also did some ab work and calves.

Getting an mri this morning on shoulder, chest and collar bone. Area has been injured for awhile. I have some bone on bone in collar bone and sternum attachment as well as shoulder area. Before I get cortizone shots they want to check my pec to see if there's more going on there.

Comment

Trained legs Friday evening since I worked a second job Thurs evening. Noted some strength increase and think I'm looking fuller. I'll weigh myself Sunday morning and see where I'm at. Felt like the walls were closing in and like I was about to pass out towards the end of quads. I had maybe 5 hours of sleep and overdid it on stims to get through the day.

usual warmup of ext and curls circuit 3 rounds
                              Hack squat 4x12-8
                              box squat 5x15-6
                              leg press 4x12-10
                              leg ext 3x15
                              sldl on hack squat 3x10
                              smith split squat 3x15
                              lying leg curls 3x12
                              seated leg curls 3x12
                              standing calves 4x20-10 slow tempo till failure then bodyweight till near failure again

This afternoon I did some abs and 30mins on step mill

Comment

Working...
                              X