Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old & Busted: A Strength Journey

Hey!

A quick background: 43 years old, 198cm (6'6") and currently weigh in at 92kg (202lbs). So yes, woefully lacking in muscle despite training for many years.

Have been a notorious training program hopper thanks to buying copies of (insert generic muscle mag here). My strength is terrible as far as I'm concerned. Have been dealing with a few issues for several years. A torn right pec which i never got re attached. Recently had surgery on my heart for Atrial Fibrillation. This was my second surgery and so far has been a success. But this may be tested if I want to gain size and fill out my frame.

Diet: At present, I'm reverse dieting out of a comp that Skip prepped me for 5 weeks ago. Progress has been very slow, with me adding in 20g carb 8g fat each day. Hunger is pretty high, but to be expected. I need to be anal about this as I do gain fat quite easily. Having either a skipload or a cheat day on Sundays so far. Weight is actually down over 2kg since the comp.

Training: I've decided to run a slightly modified Madcow 5x5. Basically just adding in a deload week every 5th week. So this week is a deload.

Current lifting stats:
    Squat: 120kg x 3
    DL: 135kg 5
    BP: 70kg x 3
    OHP: 43 x 5

Today is the last deload workout.

Goal: To STICK TO THIS PROGRAM FOR AS LONG AS I CAN MILK IT! And not hop from one program to another.

Back from the gym. Today was Squat/Bench/Row.

SQUAT:

55kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 3
    85kg x 8

Moved from high bar to low bar a couple of months ago which has done the world of good for my back. Now I don't get the occasional clicking sound during high bar squats. Felt pretty good doing these. I go to just above parallel but try do get as deep as I can.

BENCH:

30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    50kg x 8

Bench has always been an issue ever since tearing the right pec some years ago. Plain and simple, I was benching completely wrong and using to much shoulder rather than tucking my elbows in slightly.

BB ROW:

25kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 3
    40kg x 8

Think I started too light on rows, but went by the Madcow spreadsheet I'd downloaded. Better to be safe than sorry!

Accessories:

Dips: 3 x 8
    Ez Bar Curl: 35kg 3 x 8
    Ez Bar Skullcrushers: 35kg 3 x 8

See how I fair next Monday. I should be back to testing the 120kg for 5 reps. A bit of a milestone, as a previous PR was 115kg for 3.

Due for a relaxed weekend food wise. Mostly on Sunday, but we're out with friends bowling Saturday so will see what I can grab there. Usually Saturday is like any other day during the week with all meals planned and pre cooked. But as I've been dropping weight for the last 4 weeks, I think it's time for me to eat a little more! Didn't help that some friends and I did a 35km walk a couple of weeks ago to raise money for Mitochondria disease. A mix of road, trail and beach walking. Plenty of stairs and hills. Lets just say I won't be doing one of those again in a hurry!

Comment

Eat some ribs. Just don't tell Skip.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Hi from another Aussie
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          Eat some ribs. Just don't tell Skip.

Skip
          Ha! Yes Sir!

Ribs aren't my usual go to cheat food. Probably because there's bugger all meat on them. If finish them and think "I'm done and i don't remember eating". We're meeting some friends for a Christmas get together mid December at one of our favourite steak houses out here called Ribs & Rumps. They do a mixed grill which is awesome. They give you what equates to a mini Rambo knife to cut it up with. The downside is I have to wait a month :WTF:

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
            Hi from another Aussie
            Hey SAHD! Keep cool today. It's gonna be a hot one if you're in and around Sydney!

Comment

3rd Nov:

Training for me is during the middle of the day. A good time to go as there's not to many people there. I don't want to chat, just put my headphones on and work.

Today was Squat/Bench/Row - heavy day:

SQUAT:

60kg x 5
              75kg x 5
              90kg x 5
              105kg x 5
              120kg x 5 w/belt

A PR for 120kg x 5 for me. Felt I could've gone lower, but still happy with the result

BENCH:

35kg x 5
              40kg x 5
              50kg x 5
              60kg x 5
              70kg x 5

Didn't feel to bad on these. Left shoulder a slight soreness, which I chalked down to going bowling on Saturday

BB ROW:

25kg x 5
              30kg x 5
              40kg x 5
              45kg x 5
              55kg x 5

No issues with these, though will need to watch my back as the weight gets heavier.

Accessories:

Hyper extensions: 2 x 18 w/10kg plate
              weighted crunches: 4 x 14 w/10kg plate

Cable Tricep pushdowns: 55kg x 13/7/5 (done RP. Decided to try RP out today. Great pump especially after the cheat day Sunday)
              Hammer Curls: 20kg x 9/5/4 (RP)

Yesterday (Sunday) was a cheat day. We usually skipload, but we've decided to alternate them. So one week it's a skipload, the following is a shitload. Was pretty damn hungry yesterday! Full home cooked breakfast with bacon, sausages, hash browns, poached eggs, toast & baked beans. Ended up eating some pancakes with jam and light cream as well.

Lunch was Breville sandwich maker toasted sandwiches. Dinner was chinese with some ice cream and low fat cheesecake I made for our skipload last weekend for dessert. Also managed to fit in some squares of chocolate as well. Was full but not stuffed.

There was no "heating up" or "sweats" during or after eating either. Felt I could've fit more in, but didn't want to go to bed bloated.

This week sees me adding in another 20g carb & 8g fat a day for the coming week. It may be slow, but still want to play it safe despite my hunger levels. Hunger I can deal with.

Comment

Back from a medium day: Squat/Press/Deadlift:

SQUAT:

60kg x 5
                75kg x 5
                90kg x 5
                90kg x 5

PRESS:

25kg x 5
                30kg x 5
                35kg x 5
                45kg x 5

DEADLIFT:

85kg x 5
                105kg x 5
                120kg x 5
                140kg x 5

Felt good with DL's. Decided to go alternate grip (left hand up). I usually use a hook grip. A bit paranoid about popping a bicep (damn you Youtube clips!)

Accessories:

Chin ups: 3 x 8 w/10kg plate
                DB Lateral Raise: 12.5kg 3 x 11
                Lef Raises: 3 x 8

Weight is up 2kg from Sunday morning's weigh in where I was 91.5kg. 500g up from the previous week. Currently 93.5kg. This was due to the cheat day Sunday. I seem to drop weight coming into the weekend. Usually Saturday/Sunday is where I see my biggest drops. Will see if this is the case this coming weekend.

Strength has been good for the most part. I'm doing 2 x 30min cardio sessions on Tues & Thurs now. These days I also drop flyers around my suburb for my business. I'm usually out for about 1.5 hours. Sometimes 2 hours. It's mostly pretty flat though, so not much in the way of an elevated heart rate.

Comment

Today was Squat/Bench/Row - Medium day:

SQUAT:

60kg x 5
                  75kg x 5
                  90kg x 5
                  110kg x 5 w/belt
                  125kg x 3 w/belt
                  95kg x 8

A PR for 125kg x 3 for me. See how I manage 125 for 5 on Monday. Took a wider arm position on the heaviest set. Shoulders feel a bit tender for it though.

BENCH:

35kg x 5
                  45kg x 5
                  50kg x 5
                  60kg x 5
                  73kg x 3
                  55kg x 8

BB ROW:

25kg x 5
                  35kg x 5
                  40kg x 5
                  45kg x 5
                  58kg x 8
                  43kg x 8

Accessories:

Weighted dips: 3 x 9 w/10kg plate
                  Ez Bar Curl: 35kg 3 x 10/9/9
                  Ez Bar Skullcrushers: 35kg 3 x 8

See what I weigh in at coming into the weekend. If I'm up more than 0.5kg from last week. I'll keep the diet setup the same for next week. If not, I'll add in another 20g carbs to training days in my PWO meals (10g in each). Rest days I'll add only a small amount of fats in (8g).

Yesterdays rest day saw me doing 30mins cardio first thing in the morning. I went out dropping flyers for my business which added another 80mins of low intensity walking. The area was flat so not strenuous. First meal was 11:15am. Decided to see how I went with an IF type setup for the day. Was a little hungry, but as I'm used to the hunger at the moment, so I sucked it up.

I used IF for a good year before signing up to Skip's IIFYM experiment last year. It helped me maintain my weight for that year give or take. I tended to hover around the 95kg range give or take a few kgs either way. One of the side effects of the IF was that when it was time to eat, it was on! I had a huge appetite which I kinda liked as it kept me satisfied. I'm debating whether or not to go back to using an IF 16/8 type setup while gaining. Will see how I progress over the coming weeks. Will more than likely use it coming into the holiday period where diet will certainly be a little more looser.

Refeed day Sunday, which I'm looking forward to. Start off with our usual skipload breakfast of english muffins and crumpets with jam. Then off to Yum Cha (think in the U.S it's Dim Sum?) for lunch. The wife's making hot dogs for dinner with bacon, cheese, onion and tomato sauce. I'm also trialing out a new dessert I found the recipe for. Will see how it goes

Comment

SQUAT:

60kg x 5
                    75kg x 5
                    90kg x 5
                    110kg x 5
                    125kg x 5 w/belt

A PR for 125kg x 5. Back and knees felt fine. My shoulders were giving me a little grief though.

BENCH:

35kg x 5
                    45kg x 5
                    50kg x 5
                    60kg x 5
                    73kg x 5

Did struggle with the last set. Right shoulder was a bit sore. Tried to keep everything tight.

BB ROW:

25kg x 5
                    35kg x 5
                    40kg x 5
                    45kg x 5
                    58kg x 5

Still no issues with these.

Accessories:

Hyper extensions: 2 x 18/20 w/20kg plate
                    weighted crunches: 4 x 14 w/15kg plate

Cable Tricep pushdowns: 55kg x 15/8/6 (RP)
                    Hammer Curls: 20kg x 11/6/5 (RP)

Good refeed yesterday. Started with our standard Skipload breaky of english muffins & crumpets with jam. Lunch was Yum Cha as I made mention of above. Bought a couple of muffins to have with a coffee at home while watching Expendables 3. Dinner was hot dogs and followed by a banoffee pie I made for dessert. We only had 1/8 th of this as it was pretty rich! Put the rest in the freezer, so I hope it keeps.

Only a 200g weight increase this week. So added in 20g carbs to my PWO meal on training days M/W/F. And 8g fat to 1 of my meals on rest days T/TH/Sat. Will reassess next Sunday
                    Attached Files

Comment

SQUAT:

60kg x 5
                      75kg x 5
                      90kg x 5
                      90kg x 5

PRESS:

25kg x 5
                      35kg x 5
                      30kg x 5
                      48kg x 5

DEADLIFT:

90kg x 5
                      105kg x 5
                      120kg x 5
                      145kg x 5

Felt good with DL's again. No belt used for the moment.

Accessories:

Chin ups: 3 x 9/9/8 w/10kg plate
                      DB Lateral Raise: 12.5kg 3 x 12
                      Leg Raises: 3 x 14

Weight is up 1.7kg from Sundays weigh in. (93.4kg from 91.7kg). Hunger is still relatively high, but not as high as it has been. Especially earlier in the week coming off my refeed. Hunger does climb later in the week though. It's Wednesday here now, so by Friday I'll be ready for Sundays feeding.

Have been enjoying the addition of salmon on Saturday nights these last few weeks. Nice to break all the chicken and tuna up! Was having steak on my rest days, but swapped back to chicken this week as my choice of steak wasn't that crash hot at the shops. Was going to opt in for pork fillet, but at $31.99 a kilo I thought better of it!

Cardio is still 30mins Tues/Thurs. Yesterday I was out again flyer dropping so another 1.5 hours of steady walking. Will be repeating that tomorrow.

Comment

Late entry from Friday's session:

SQUAT:

65kg x 5
                        80kg x 5
                        95kg x 5
                        110kg x 5
                        130kg x 3 w/belt PR!
                        98kg x 8

BENCH:

35kg x 5
                        45kg x 5
                        55kg x 5
                        65kg x 5
                        75kg x 3
                        55kg x 8

BB ROW:

30kg x 5
                        35kg x 5
                        45kg x 5
                        50kg x 5
                        60kg x 8
                        45kg x 8

Accessories:

Weighted dips: 3 x 10 w/10kg plate
                        Ez Bar Curl: 35kg 3 x 10
                        Ez Bar Skullcrushers: 35kg 3 x 8/9/9

Weight as of this morning is up 0.5kg. At 92.2kg from 91.7kg. Refeed today with an xmas party with clients. Will be keeping the same macros going into the next week. Will see what change happens the following weekend. Everything seems to be progressing nicely. Did get hungry towards the end of the week. Saturday especially, as I'm now training my wife at the gym Saturday, which for me is a very low carb day.

Any diet change from this point on will be done on training days. And only around workouts: post and pre in that order. With more carbs in those meals.

Comment

SQUAT:

65kg x 5
                          80kg x 5
                          95kg x 5
                          110kg x 5
                          130kg x 5 w/belt

Fought to get the last set of 5. Pleased with the progress

BENCH:

35kg x 5
                          45kg x 5
                          55kg x 5
                          65kg x 5
                          75kg x 5

Did struggle with the last set again. Got it out though

BB ROW:

25kg x 5
                          35kg x 5
                          45kg x 5
                          50kg x 5
                          60kg x 5

Still no issues with these.

Accessories:

Hyper extensions: 2 x 20 w/20kg plate
                          weighted crunches: 4 x 15 w/15kg plate

Cable Tricep pushdowns: 59kg x 14/7/4 (RP)
                          Hammer Curls: 20kg x 12/7/6 (RP)

Comment

SQUAT:

66kg x 5
                            80kg x 5
                            95kg x 5
                            95kg x 5

PRESS:

30kg x 5
                            35kg x 5
                            40kg x 5
                            50kg x 5

DEADLIFT:

90kg x 5
                            110kg x 5
                            130kg x 5
                            150kg x 5

Felt good with DL's again. No belt used for the moment.

Accessories:

Chin ups: 3 x 9 w/10kg plate
                            DB Lateral Raise: 12.5kg 3 x 13
                            Leg Raises: 3 x 15

Felt tired once home from the gym today. Ate 2 meals then had a nap for half an hour or so. Would've been more but the work phone went off. Bloody email notifications!

Cardio is still 2 x 30min sessions incline walk on the treadmill @ 130bpm. Then out for another hour and a half later in the morning to drop flyers.

Comment

Friday 21st Nov

SQUAT:

65kg x 5
                              85kg x 5
                              199kg x 5
                              115kg x 5
                              135kg x 3 w/belt PR!
                              100kg x 8

A PR, but felt it was pretty sloppy

BENCH:

35kg x 5
                              45kg x 5
                              55kg x 5
                              65kg x 5
                              78kg x 3
                              58kg x 8

BB ROW:

30kg x 5
                              35kg x 5
                              45kg x 5
                              55kg x 5
                              63kg x 3
                              48kg x 8

Accessories:

Weighted dips: 3 x 6 w/15kg plate
                              Ez Bar Curl: 40kg 3 x 8
                              Swapped out Skullcrushers for standing dumbbell extensions: 22.5kg 3 x 12

Overall, felt pretty good. Tired after the session. Felt a bit hungry and tired yesterday afternoon as well. Weight has stayed the same from last Wednesday's weigh in to this weeks. 93.4kg. Will see if there's an increase in scale weight coming into the weekend. Weighed in at 92kg last Saturday. If I'm the same tomorrow morning, will be looking to add about 10-20g carbs to training days, and maybe 8g fat to. It may be painfully slow, but I'm prone to being a fat ass so I'm sticking to it.

To be honest, there's definitely a psychological component to the whole thing. I do want to gain muscle, but fear getting too fat. As someone whose definitely been the later, I'm finding it quite challenging. I do need to grow, there's no denying it. At 92kg at 6'6" I do need to fill out. I'm all limbs!

I looked at a recent photo of myself the other day, and it was the first time in my life that I've seen myself and thought "shit, you're a little on the skinny side".

A bit of extra off diet food this weekend. Got the in laws 50th wedding anniversary and we're surprising them with a party my wife secretly organised. Then it's off to dinner at a steakhouse, where there's a challenge I'm keen on trying! :P Then it's back to a Skipload Sunday. Looking forward to relaxing then. It's been bloody hot here today, and will be into the weekend. Good air con weather!

Comment

Working...
                              X