Addicted to DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to DC

Starting a journal to keep track of things during this off season before I prep for my first show. Have not decided if I will be doing physique or bodybuilding. Leaning towards physique for reasons I will get into later.

Worked with Skip the last 24 weeks and focused on losing body fat. Started trying to lose weight before working with him at 189lbs and roughly 17% body fat. When I started working with Skip I was 180lbs and about 15% body fat.

Got down to 159.2lbs at 5.2% caliper measurements. Probably closer to 8% though. Now its time to add some size and see where I can get by Spring time.

25 years old
    5'7"
    162 baseline currently before skiploads.

Measurements before working with Skip:
    Arms-15.5 in
    Thigh-25.5 in
    Waist(around belly button)-37in
    Back/chest-41.5in

After:
    Arm - 13 3/4 in
    Waist(around belly button) - 32in
    Chest - 40in
    Thigh - 23 1/2in

Loads are 8 hours and at the moment they are higher in fat than I've done in the past. I used to try to keep the ratio of carbs to fats pretty high but I've closed the gap some to enjoy the days a little more and enjoy the off season more.

Currently getting back to training DC 4 days a week going 2 days on and one off with an extra day off the day before and the day of my skiploads. If I feel that I need an extra rest day between my 2 days on than I will take that. I dont believe in sticking to specific days of the week for training. I try to listen to my body. This is easier when you dont have consistent training partners. I train DC a little differently than most. I've changed the rep ranges to be a little higher which allows me to keep things more strict.

Doing 30 minutes of cardio post weight training 4 days a week. This will back off to 3 days a week soon. I will most likely drop the cardio from the days I train legs.

I am currently 13 months post ACL surgery. Recovery has gone well but obviously not as good as what a pro athlete can expect. I enjoy snowboarding in the Winters here in Washington State but I may have to skip this season as I dont feel that I have much comfort with flexion of the knee right now. I have no problem burying some deep squats though. Still working on getting the size of my left leg back to that of the right.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Yesterdays push day:

I did a lot of DC training last year but never really threw in dips into my chest exercises and im glad I did yesterday. All my movements other than a few are 20-25 rep range. Again I like the higher rep range for a few reasons. I don't think the two ranges matter too much just as long as you progress in weights and reps each week. Unlike the shorter rep ranges I can do more than 4-7 on my second loop and more than 1-3 on my last. I always hated that. Since it was the first time doing dips for a rest pause set I ended up beating the rep range but not by much so I'm happy with the weight I picked.

Moved into the pec dec for my widow maker and immediately into some static stretches for chest. My stretch for chest is usually holding onto the sides of the squat rack and leaning forward. I've tried using the pec dec to stretch but I lose tension to easily.

For shoulders I did seated DB press but instead of my grip being out and wide I kept my palms in a little bit but not all the way which felt more natural. Again I picked a pretty good weight for my first week on this exercise and barely beat the rep range. So I'll go up a little in weight next time. I focused a lot on form for this movement. I try my hardest not to elevate my scapula to assist in getting the weight up. I try to force them down and back. 20-25 again.

Next hit DB upright rows for my widow maker followes by my shoulder stretch where I twist and cable handle around my back one shoulder at a time. Hurt like hell but makes all the difference afterwards.

For triceps I did DB overhead extensions and once again licked the perfect weight for the first week back to DC. I don't try and be fancy with form but I am a little careful with these as I tend to pinch a nerve in my neck every once in a while doing these when I strain hard to get the weight up. I focus the most on the eccentric portion of the lift.

Sometimes I do a widow maker for triceps but not today. If I feel the tris have been beat through everything else then I leave them alone. It's a judgement call usually. So today I just moved into my stretches with a single DB above and behind my head to stretch the long head. This felt pretty good. It's been a while since I've incorporated the stretching immediately after my sets.

Did cardio for 30 minutes on elliptical. I like the elliptical because it's friendly with my knee and doesn't fatigue me too much afterwards. Stair masters tend to best the shit out of me.

Day off from training today. Weight is 163.6 with Skipload tomorrow. I do them Wednesday because it's most convenient with my work schedule.
    Feeling pretty good overall right now. Sore from yesterday's push day and Sunday's leg day so I'm excited to have today and tomorrow off to hit it hard with back and bis on Thursday.

Meals are good. I enjoy the foods I eat and I'm happy with how much I am eating right now even though it's not much more than when I was cutting weight. The calories will increase pretty soon.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Decided that since I had today off from training and only an 8 hour skipload that I would just get it done today. I would like to train wedneaday and Thursday this week while some friends are in town to train with.

So far:
      All you can eat sushi with large coke and small cup of chocolate ice cream.

4 Pop tarts with a large red bull

Red Barron meat lovers pizza

Brewers Reese's peanut butter cup ice cream, Skittles, starburst, sour patch kids
      Last edited by Collabera; 10-28-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to see you start a journal here!

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks Skip! It was a good idea. I'll try to be very consistent with it.

Comment

Woke up this morning 167.8 after yesterday's skipload.

Trained back with a friend today

One arm rows 1x6x160 and 1x12x120
            The 12a I keep much more strict than the 6s. Felt good to row some heavy stuff again and I expect the weights to keep going up as my calories increase.

Lat pull downs with close grip attachment 20-25, 15,7,[email protected](the stacks have numbers instead of the weight. I think they are 10 each but who knows. So I just track the numbers)
            The attachment is wider than the average low cable row piece. It gives more range of motion but doesn't allow me to go as heavy.

Machine reverse fly(not reverse pec dec) 1x21x80
            Solid pump with this machine. I hold for a split second at the top and lower in control.

Curl machine 20-25, 15,6,[email protected]
            This machine is set up like a preacher curl but your arms are higher up and you are pulling the handle almost behind you head. Just another angle I like to take advantage of.

One arm machine curls 1x18x25
            This is like a decline curl machine with a pad for the back of your arm. This is one of my favorite widow makers that always give me a crazy pump. Without fail.

Stretched bis

Seated calf raise SS 5x10x45 standing calf raise SS 2x10x25 3x10x30

Something I forget to mention, I don't like using the same widow maker every time I train a body part. I rotate them just like all my other exercises. I tend to lack a pump afterwards and doesn't give me the same effect when I try to stretch.

Hit cardio on elliptical for 30 minutes. Heart rate was higher than normal at the same pace and resistance I normally do.

Hitting legs tomorrow.

Comment

Woke up 165.2

Hit some legs today. Numbers are a little weak right now as I'm trying to get used to a closer stance with squats. Grew up powerlifting with a very wide stance and I decided to bring it in a ways.

Squats 1x6x345 1x12x285
              These felt pretty good after getting through warm ups. Knee I had ACL surgery on was giving me a little trouble so I didn't want to push it. Absolutely not my best numbers. Leaving a little room to progress and not beat the shit out of myself right now.

Leg press 1x20x405
              Closer stance with feet further down than normal. Weight on my toes. Good deal of flexion. Nice pump.

Lying leg curls 20-30, 16,8,[email protected]
              Leg ext. 20-30, 16,8,[email protected]
              Machine glute kickbacks 1x20x50
              Ab and adductor machines for 2 sets of 20

I like adding in some widows on those "neglected" exercises. Not super intense but just a light burn.

No calves today because I hit them good yesterday.

Decided that instead of not doing cardio at all on leg days I would just ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes after training. But not at the same intensity as my other days. Normally I do 30 minutes at 130 heart rate. On these days I'll just go light and keep my knee loosened up.

Overall feeling good right now. Hamstrings are pretty tight before training so I'll have to work on that. Low back was pumped as hell today after the leg press which gave me trouble on the lying leg curl. I expect my numbers to begin going up pretty quickly as I get used to the heavy stuff again.
              Last edited by Collabera; 10-30-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

These are my pics from the week before my ACL surgery, to before I started working with skip and 2 photos from after.
                First 2 are before, after, after and a little over a year ago (august 2013)
                Attached Files

Comment

Was suppose to have an off day but decided to get chest/shoulders/tris in so I could take 2 days off this weekend while I work 2 very long shifts at work.

Woke up at 166.6 today. Definitely not feeling as lean as I was a few weeks ago but I guess that's to be expected. Still overall feeling really good. Motivated as hell right now with my training and diet.

Decline dumbbell press 15-20, 13,4,[email protected]
                  High to low cable flys 1x20x5
                  Stretch

Tried something different for rest pause shoulders.
                  Upright rows 20-25, 17,10,[email protected] way too light
                  Single arm cable side laterals 1x20x2
                  I don't hold onto a handle doing these. I wrap an ankle attachment around my forearm. Much more isolation and a lot less room to cheat.
                  Stretch

Dual cable tricep pushdowns 20-25, 13,6,[email protected]
                  These are a favorite of mine. I stand perfectly upright keeping my shoulders down and back and pull the handle slightly behind my midline. I feel a very intense squeeze similar to the squeeze felt on a one arm row. As i bring the handles back up I lean a little bit in and get a little stretch with better tension.
                  Single arm overhead cable extensions 1x20x20
                  Stretch

30 minutes of cardio on elliptical.

Forgot to do some calves, abs, and forearms. Trying to be better at this stuff because I tend to neglect them because I did powerlifting for roughly 10 years.
                  Nothing special just straight sets. Forearms I just make sure to get a huge pump. Calves I did standing calf raise but I did the normal DC way. 10 reps, 5 second eccentric, 15 second stretch then concentric. 3 sets. And mostly planks and crunch machine.

Even after 3 straight days of training I've still got so much energy to hit back on Monday. I could easily do it tomorrow but I gotta try and do the smart thing and give the muscles and CNS some rest.

Diet is still very clean. 3 days of cardio a week. Can't decide if I want to up the calories after this next skipload or the next. Calories will mostly be upped in fats.

Comment

Goals

While I don't necessarily care about the weight I end up at after the next 4 months I would like to finish close to 180lbs but not go over that.

I would prefer to stay under 12% caliper measurements.

43inch chest/back
                    15.5in arms not flexed
                    26in thighs

Current max squat since my surgery is 406. I would like to be doing my working sets with that as my knee health improves.

I have small calves. Very neglected muscle during my years of powerlifting
                    Currently 13 3/4in
                    Goal would be 1-3 inches more. Realistic? I hope so. This will be the first time I truely work them with consistency.

Currently 12in forearms. Another inch or 2 would be nice.

Overall the goal is to add on plenty of lean muscle but not gain too much body fat. Pretty normal goal except Id rather gain less muscle if it means I stay lean.

Comment

164 even this morning. Down 2.6lbs from yesterday. Finally feeling the water come off some.

Not too sore from the last 3 days of training. So anxious to train back and bis Monday.

Comment

163.6 this morning.

Trained back with a friend.

Modified dc workout that I'm trying for one of my back days and will probably do something similar for legs. What I did was do a chest supported rest pause thickness movement since there is no low back tension instead of doing a heavy set of 6 and 12. This will make doing squats the following day easier since I'm not wrecking my body the day before with back stuff.

Nautilus row machine 15-20, 17,11,[email protected] need to go heavier. Not worried about it since it was my first go with this machine.
                        Single arm cable underhand pull downs 20-25, Left- 13,7,[email protected] Right- 13,7,[email protected]
                        Very pleased that both right and left arm got equal reps set for set. My left is normally much stronger.

Prine reverse DB flys 1x25x30

Tried reverse grip drag curls for 15-20. Awkward movement I think for a rest pause. Way too many muscle I can use to cheat and get the weight up. Will probably just scrap this one because I feel if I do progress it won't be because of bicep strength.

Single arm DB hammer curls 1x19x20

Calves
                        Seated calf raise 5x10x50
                        Standing calf raise 5x10x30
                        Single leg calf raise [email protected]
                        Through in some forearms as well. Nothing special. Just get a strong pump.

Cardio for 30 minutes on elliptical.

Diet was good up until meal number 4. I had a date tonight and went out for sushi so im sure I went well over my macros. Not sure if that means I should make adjustments to my skipload on Wednesday or not. I was thinking I could cut it to 5 hours just this week or just try and keep the 8 hours much leaner than I have lately. But I may just ignore it and just do my skipload as planned.

Legs tomorrow. I'm gonna try front squats as a 6 and 12. This should be rough. I'm actually pretty strong with front squats. The form is pretty natural for me and I've been squatting since I was 12.

Feeling good overall lately. I've been having some headaches/migraines lately. There's a specific cause to this but i won't get into that right now. Body feels good after havkng 2 days rest.

Comment

163.6 after last night going far over macros from sushi. Not too bad I guess.

Felt good going into the gym today. Legs are always iffy for my cause I never know if my knee is gonna be good enough to do what I plan. Felt good after some warm ups

Front squats 1x6x275 went to 315 and got 5 but lost balance on the 6th rep and took a step. So not counting that rep. Then went lighter than usual for my 12 at 225 and made sure to burry them deep with a slight pause.

Leg ext. 1x20x90
                          Lying leg curl 1x20x40
                          SSwith DB stuff legged deadlifts [email protected],90,100
                          Single leg ext 20-30, 15,8,[email protected]
                          I do my left leg first since its the one I had ACL surgery on and make sure not to do any more reps with my right than I did with the left. The goal is to balance my left to my right by not doing any more with my stronger leg. Skips recommendation.

Ab/adductor machines superset [email protected] varrying weights

Single leg glute press(upright butt blaster) 2x10

Ride stationary bike for 30 minutes as a cool down. Not cardio

Abs- planks, crunch machine, side bends

As you can see this is not really a dc leg day. I modify it to what works for me and I also try new things whenever I can. Felt great today. Was very surprised with the weight I ised for front squats. Definetly getting stronger every week. Can't wait to see what I can do as I keep pushing back squats.

Skipload and rest day tomorrow. Plan on some krusteaz pancakes with lots of syrup to start with some pop tarts. Sushi later in the day at an all you can eat Buffett. Only 8 bucks! Not sure what I'll do on the middle of the day but I'm sure it's going to be either pizza or taco related.
                          Last edited by Collabera; 11-04-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

164.2 before today's skipload.

8 hours planned today.

Had one meal before starting my skipload because I had some errands to run. Just protein and fats with no carbs except for the ones from broccoli.

Starting my skipload with 4 PB&J sanwhiches. Reduced fat peanut butter, grape jelly, white bread. Rockstar energy drink. If I don't have some extra caffeine on these days I'll just sleep through it all.

Celeste mini cheese pizza, skittles, king Hawaiian sweet rolls

Another Celeste mini pizza. This time pepperoni.

All you can eat sushi. Not sure how much but a lot for sure.

For once I actually got in all my water for the day too.
                            Last edited by Collabera; 11-07-2014, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Thursday I woke up at about 168 after skiploading.

Got called into work early so I had to train later than usual and after working strenuously. Only had 1.5 hours until I had to work another shift so I had to move quick. Not an issue with dc but I had 30 minutes of cardio also. Plus getting in my cereal and protein.

Inclined DB press (20-25) 15,7,[email protected]
                              This felt good but shoulders were a little tender. Not sure why.
                              Cable flys 1x20x4
                              Stretch
                              Seated military press (20-25) 13,7,[email protected]
                              Had to use a different adjustable bench for this than last time but it shouldnt be an issue.
                              Side laterals 1x20x20
                              Stretch
                              DB skullcrushers (20-25) 13,6,[email protected]
                              Dual cable pushdown 1x15x30
                              Stretch

Got done In About 30 minutes and squeaked in my cardio. Don't like to rush things but didn't have a choice.

Today I woke up 167.8

Worked 8 hours off less sleep than usual so was tired going into my workout. I notmally get to train and then work but had to switch it up.

Rack pulls 1x8x435 1x12x365
                              Going slow at these. Not trying to beat myself up. As long as I progress then i am not worried about it.
                              Assisted pull-ups (20-25) 14,7,[email protected]
                              Reverse pec dec 1x20x65
                              Stretch
                              Cable curl with brass (20-25) 14,5,[email protected]
                              Decline DB curls 1x20x15
                              Will go down in weight on these as I'm struggling to get 20 but I love the movement for widowmakers.
                              Stretch
                              Forearms
                              Cardio for 30 minutes on elliptical
                              Calves
                              Seated calf raise 5x10x55
                              Standing calf raise 4x10x35

Comment

Working...
                              X