Skill Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skill Position

Time for a new journal. There is something about the lightning slingshot concept that makes me think of always having to go backward before going forward, as well as a sense of unpredictability...and so it was. It was a nice visual though. Next evolution.

Dream Theater with Fortitude Training.

Stats:

Height: 5'5.5"
    Weight: 146-152 lbs. depending on how often I go out to eat. When I do eat out, I make sure to hit my minimum on the macros, and anything else is fair game.
    Measurements: Thighs L 22.5"/R 21.125" Calves 15" Arms 13.5" Waist 32"

General Goals: Bigger, faster, stronger for BBing/WPD and Football.
    Bigger: 160-165 lbs.
    Faster: For now, I need to sprint 1xweek, regardless of speed, to continue to test/build confidence in my knees.
    Stronger: PR's, pretty simple there. For exercises that have had to be removed for years (or permanently) due to injury, I'll start a new competition with the logbook, either via reset baselines or new exercises.
    Training: FT Basic Tier 1, 4 days/week
    Diet: Base diet has been bumped as of yesterday.
    Pics: I took some and don't like them. No soup for you.

I am trying out for a professional women's tackle football team this fall. There aren't actual tryouts, just show up and if you can keep coming back (stay healthy and interested), you are on the team. They test us similar to the NFL combine, and they figure out what position(s) are the best fit based on that. This is still surreal to me. There have been things in my life that looked like fun, but once I tried it, I didn't enjoy it. If that turns out to be the case, I'll focus 100% on BBing/WPD. As for that, the current plan is to see how much progress I have made by summer 2015, and from there decide if I need another year to thicken up, or if I can diet down for a late fall contest.

That's enough rambling for now. I'm going to do a FT Day 3 walk thru after work to get a feel for the MR's. I'd like to start with Day 1 Loading/Pump workout on Sunday.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

As for my quitting if it's not fun comment, here's how I see it: If it ain't paying my bills or stoking the fire in my soul, I'm not giving my energy to it. I've got too much going on, too much I really enjoy doing or that I feel is serving my life purpose, as well as too many other things I'd like to try to continue to invest in something that's not. The key, though, is to only change course if it's the wrong path...not because I'm merely uncomfortable.
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I love your outlook~ I'll be following!
      "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
      ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by bankerbabe75 View Post
        I love your outlook~ I'll be following!
        Awesome! Thanks!

Thursday 8-14-14

Day 3 Walk-thru

smith squat (plates, unsure of bar weight) 80 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 10
        MedX leg ext. 100 x 48
        reg. lying ham curl 60 x 27
        hor. leg press calf press 160 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 16
        h/s preacher curls 35 x 20

Notes:
        - Not sure how practical smith squats are for MR's. Got a great pump in the thighs though. Obviously, need to increase weight next time on that.
        - My knees are my greatest challenge, and erred on the side of caution for the ext's, therefore the HIGH reps. Not sure how I'm going to handle quad exercises for low(er) reps (as in less than 15-20).
        - Some people like to come up and try to hold a conversation with me while I'm in between sets. Ok for normal sets - not ok for MR's. This occurred during the calf exercise.

I'll dig back through the FT manual and Q&A thread at IBB about MR's. I enjoyed the workout. It was different. Got great pumps. Almost puked and passed out at one point, but that's fairly normal for me. I'm delicate.

Speaking of Dream Theater, I've been working on a new song inspired by them. I'm not nearly as technically proficient as them, but it has been a good stretch stylistically. When I was in college, I played a lot of metal guitar, but the past many moons has been acoustic.
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Friday 8-15-14

Day 4

deadlift 199 x 4, 4, 3, 177 x 4, 4, 4
          pullups @ 153.5 lbs x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3
          smith bp (plates) 80 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6
          bb ohp 95 x 4, 4, 4, 2, 75 x 4, 4
          skullcrushers 50 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5
          decline situps 1x20

Notes:
          - I was unsure how deads would do for MR's, but I liked it. Used alt. grip b/c didn't bring my straps b/c I thought it would screw up the rest periods. I want do this again, but use straps and see how that goes. My back and knees felt fine. That's very encouraging. I would really like to be able to train BB deadlifts progressively again.
          - I'll note bodyweight in clothes/shoes when I do chins and pullups since the plan is getting heavier to track progression. If bodyweight creeps slowly, I'll use a weighted belt.
          - Smith presses are something I've avoided since a shoulder injury in 2008 b/c it always caused joint pain. Again, another encouraging instance where MR's may provide the opportunity to do exercises that have been avoided or taken out due to injury/prevention.
          - I was unsure if tri's were to be MR or Pump Set. I went with MR since it's so different and I want to continue to get a feel for it.

I enjoyed the workout. It's quite a change. It's very interesting and encouraging. I'm seeing how I can use bread and butter exercises on the lighter pump sets and MR's without pissing off this that or the other bodypart, and save the safer though not as much potential bang for the buck exercises for the loading sets. Cuz the buck won't be bangin if it's injured.
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Saturday 8-16-14

Rest day.

Sunday 8-17-14

Day 1

Loading Sets:
            cybex leg press 450 x 15
            h/s uni. leg ext. 50's x 16
            h/s uni. ham curl 50's x 14
            adductor 80 x 20
            standing calf raise 180 x 14, 12

Pump Sets:
            mach. flyes 85 x 28/str8arm pushdown 80 x 28
            DB ohp 30's x 23/hanging leg raises 20
            incline DB curls 15's x 27+partials/rev. fulcrum pressdown 45 x 31

Monday 8-18-14

a.m. 20 min stepmill

I opted for the real cardio to work some of the lactic acid out of my legs, as well as to keep the metabolism humming.

We play in New Orleans on Friday. We should have a song from the album on reverbnation within the next week for free streaming and download. I'll put a link here in case anyone is interested. Hopefully we will get some decent vids Friday.
            Attached Files
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I'm interested!!!
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM
              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

How long are you staying on Tier 1? I'm finding it pretty challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                  I'm interested!!!
                  Awesome!! Thanks!

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
                  How long are you staying on Tier 1? I'm finding it pretty challenging.
                  Indefinitely. Honestly, I don't know how people can do more than Tier 1. Granted I am only now about to wrap up my first week of FT, but knowing my recovery tendencies in the past relative to how hard I push myself within a workout, I am doubtful I'll be needing more volume anytime soon. Plus, I'll be throwing 3xweek football practice into the mix in a couple months, so that will be further tapping into my recovery. I may have to switch to the 3xweek FT template at that point or loosen the schedule and take rest days as needed.

Scott does talk about being able to gradually work your way up volume tiers, which I find very intriguing and would like to experiment with that further down the road. Maybe try spending one week at Tier 2 on occasion to test the waters and stretch the CNS without hammering it.

Monday 8-18-14 cont'd

p.m. 40 min passing drills and sprints

Another good day on the field. I give thanks for those. Upper loading/lower pump after work today.
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I'll be following along.
                    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                      Awesome!! Thanks!

Indefinitely. Honestly, I don't know how people can do more than Tier 1. Granted I am only now about to wrap up my first week of FT, but knowing my recovery tendencies in the past relative to how hard I push myself within a workout, I am doubtful I'll be needing more volume anytime soon. Plus, I'll be throwing 3xweek football practice into the mix in a couple months, so that will be further tapping into my recovery. I may have to switch to the 3xweek FT template at that point or loosen the schedule and take rest days as needed.

Scott does talk about being able to gradually work your way up volume tiers, which I find very intriguing and would like to experiment with that further down the road. Maybe try spending one week at Tier 2 on occasion to test the waters and stretch the CNS without hammering it.

Monday 8-18-14 cont'd

p.m. 40 min passing drills and sprints

Another good day on the field. I give thanks for those. Upper loading/lower pump after work today.
                      I bet you'll be able to dabble in Tier II a bit in a future.

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                        I'll be following along.
                        Cool, TLo

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                        I bet you'll be able to dabble in Tier II a bit in a future.

-S
                        Thanks for the vote of confidence. I look forward to this! The flexibility of the program is amazing. The past week my friends have asked, "What have you been up to?" Me: "I just started this new training system..." Girl talk. LOL
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Cool, TLo

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I look forward to this! The flexibility of the program is amazing. The past week my friends have asked, "What have you been up to?" Me: "I just started this new training system..." Girl talk. LOL
                          I was thinking the same thing about the program flexibility. While I might not be ready to jump into Tier 2 I can dabble like Homon said and add a set here and there for body parts I know can handle it. I'll be on Tier 1.5 next.

Intrigued by your football plan. Tuned in to hear more. Good luck!

Comment

Cool, TLo

LOL - Sounds like guy talk, too.

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing about the program flexibility. While I might not be ready to jump into Tier 2 I can dabble like Homon said and add a set here and there for body parts I know can handle it. I'll be on Tier 1.5 next.

Intrigued by your football plan. Tuned in to hear more. Good luck!
                            I'd not try that, actually until you've done a full Blast.

Instead, to focus on a muscle group, I'd do things like:

Do your isolation exercise for Loading sets BEFORE the compound one.

Use isolation exercise before compound ones for MR's

Pick exercises that overlap on a muscle group you want to target more, e.g., do close group presses for triceps to add a bit more work for chest.

------

I don't want at all to be a program Nazi with folks modifying FT, but it's got a number of options built into it (this is the flexibility that Phoenix is referring to) such that you don't have to simply use the "blunt instrument" of adding a set to target a muscle group.

My hope is that with the different set types and flexibility in choosing exercises that trainees (as I have) will better learn to choose exercises and PERFORM exercises such that they can get the most out of them ("mind muscle connection" if you will).

MANY folks will spin their wheels over the years doing MORE and MORE of the same exercises that don't work well for them rather than fine tuning their instrument of choice.

Why bang twice as hard with a hammer to get a screw to go in when you can use a screwdriver, get the job done more quickly as well as ensure the screw is inserted as it should be, unbent with threads, etc. intact?...

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                              LOL - Sounds like guy talk, too.

I'd not try that, actually until you've done a full Blast.

Instead, to focus on a muscle group, I'd do things like:

Do your isolation exercise for Loading sets BEFORE the compound one.

Use isolation exercise before compound ones for MR's

Pick exercises that overlap on a muscle group you want to target more, e.g., do close group presses for triceps to add a bit more work for chest.

------

I don't want at all to be a program Nazi with folks modifying FT, but it's got a number of options built into it (this is the flexibility that Phoenix is referring to) such that you don't have to simply use the "blunt instrument" of adding a set to target a muscle group.

My hope is that with the different set types and flexibility in choosing exercises that trainees (as I have) will better learn to choose exercises and PERFORM exercises such that they can get the most out of them ("mind muscle connection" if you will).

MANY folks will spin their wheels over the years doing MORE and MORE of the same exercises that don't work well for them rather than fine tuning their instrument of choice.

Why bang twice as hard with a hammer to get a screw to go in when you can use a screwdriver, get the job done more quickly as well as ensure the screw is inserted as it should be, unbent with threads, etc. intact?...

-S
                              Absolutely agree with everything you said and I dont think I explained myself well so let me ask this.

If I've been doing Tier 1 for a few weeks and I'm thinking of moving to Tier 2 my next blast BUT I am on the fence could I transition to it slowly?

For example Tier 1 loading calves is 2 sets, could I move calves to 4 sets (Tier 2) but keep everything else Tier 1?

I was thinking of making a slow transition to the next tier by slowly adding what the program calls for instead of just jumping into it.

Thank you, sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X