PTAaron's 2014 Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTAaron's 2014 Training Log

Hey everyone! I have been having a hard time coming to the site regularly since it has been blocked by the firewall at work for being an “intimate apparel and swimwear” site – but I really want to get my training log going here again so I’ll do my best to keep it up to date!

Quick summary:
    I’ve been working out since the 1990s, starting out as a skinny 135lb cross country runner. 2 years ago I topped out at 272lbs, and I wasn’t exactly lean. Currently I am 229lbs, on my way down to 225lbs where I intend to stay for a while. Dietwise I am following something very similar to the plan Skip gave me back when I did his experiments, I won’t go into any detail other than Skiploading day is still the best day of the week.

I started following a DC Training 2 way split back in 2004-5 with In-Human as my guide – a few years ago I switched to the 3 way split because I found I needed more recovery time since I’m an old man now, not because I’m some sort of beast. The plan I’m currently following is based on the DC 3 way split I was following, but in the last few months I have had to make some changes to work around a nerve problem that affects my right tricep and messes up my pressing strength. I’ve had to deviate from a traditional DC philosophy a bit on Chest/shoulder/tricep days so I hesitate to really call it “DC” right now. I am doing everything with higher rep ranges, and I’ve added in a few extra things.

The current blast started this week after I got back from week in Florida – and as you’ll see 2 of my 3 chest exercises are Flys and there is a lighter high rep “widowmaker-like” set on the pec deck to make up for what my pecs were losing out on due to the tricep weakness. I’ve also added a “widowmaker-like” set of tricep extensions with a very light weight to try to encourage the muscle to fire better. One shoulder exercise doesn’t fit the traditional DC protocol – and that is machine lateral raises… again that is simply because of the nerve issue making pressing exercises very ineffective at the moment.

Anyway – there ya go… I’ll post up my last couple of workouts here in a minute.
    PTAaron
    Intense Muscle Vet
    Last edited by PTAaron; 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM.

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Workout 1 - Baselines - 4/14/14 - considering this a new start even though it was only a 1 week break...

Dumbell Seated Curl
    50lb dumbells x 20 Rest Paused

Dumbell Hammer Curl
    55lbs x 12 straight set

Nautilus XPLoad Pulldown
    150lbs per arm x 19 Rest Paused

Pendlay Row
    175lbs x8 straight set, 155lbs x 10 straight set

Hammer Strength Abs
    90lbs x 22 Rest Paused

Cardio
    Elliptical x 18 minutes

NOTES
    Strange workout... I kept the weights the same as my ending weights for curls, hammer curls, and pendlay rows - but dropped it 15lbs per arm on the pulldowns to fix some form issues. I don't think I was getting a complete contraction at the bottom of each rep before. Continuing to do a pause for a 3 count at a full stretch a the top of each rep.
    On the curls I kind of expected more reps and I definitely expected more reps on the pulldowns.
    Pendlay Rows are fairly new for me, and they felt great. Each rep is started from a dead stop on the floor each time, body parallel to the floor as I pull.

================================================== ==========

Workout 2 - Baselines - 4/15/14

Decline Dumbell Fly
    60lb dumbells x 14 Rest Paused

Lateral Raise Machine
    130lbs x 24 Rest Paused

Dumbell Skullcrusher
    45lb dumbells x 15 Rest Paused

One Arm Cable Tricep Extension
    22.5lbs x 30 RP each arm - much harder on the right side

Pec Deck Widowmaker
    160lbs x 32 Rest Paused

Cardio
    Elliptical x 23 minutes

NOTES
    Overall great workout - triceps were screaming after the cable extensions! Right side definitely was more difficult than the left, but I did the left first and forced myself to match the number on the right side

================================================== ==================

Cardio Wednesday - 4/16/14
    Stepmill x 60 minutes
    Crunch machine thing that you lay on x 43 rest paused

Comment

Workout 3 - Baselines - 4/17/14

Powersquat Machine Calf Raise
      500lbs +sled x 12 DC Style

Sumo Leg Press
      850lbs +sled x 10

Leg Press
      920lbs +sled x 8

Leg Press Widowmaker
      690lbs +sled x 32 Rest Paused

Hip Abductor Machine
      145lbs x 20 Rest Paused

Hip Adductor Machine
      250lbs x 31 Rest Paused

NOTES
      Workout started out really good, then I kind of hit a wall during my leg press warmups - and the wall hit me back during the widowmaker! I realize now that I screwed up my diet yesterday and only got in about 75g of carbs! I accidentally followed my weight training day schedule - which would have included a big carb blast post workout. OOOPS!!
      I'm still pleased with the results since the last time I did this workout was almost a month ago and I weighed 6lbs more!

Comment

Workout 4 - baselines - 4/18/14

EZ Bar Preacher Curl
        70lbs + bar x 18 Rest Paused

Rope Grip Hammer Curl
        67.5lbs x 26 Rest Paused

Parallel Grip Pulldown
        17 plates x 16 Rest Paused - pause at full stretch at top of each rep

Dumbell One Arm Row
        120lb dumbell x 8; 100lb dumbell x 12

3 Position Standing Cable Crunch
        80lbs x 39 Rest Paused

Elliptical
        x12 minutes

NOTES
        Good workout!
        Not a whole lot more to say.

Comment

Hey whats up,, been a while for sure!!
          "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
            Hey whats up,, been a while for sure!!
            Yeah man, I've been hiding

Actually once this site started being blocked at work it was really hard for me to get on often... so I kind of drifted away. Missed this place though - so now I'm going to try hard to stay around!

Comment

Workout 5 - baselines - 4/21/14

Smith Machine Bench Press to Neck
              200lbs +bar x 12 Rest Paused

Pec Deck Widowmaker
              160lbs x 35 Rest Paused

Dumbell Shoulder Press
              65lb dumbells x 15 Rest Paused - embarrassing.

Nautilus XPLoad Dip Machine
              235lbs per arm x 16 Rest Paused

One Arm Tricep Extension burn out set
              Last chest workout: 22.5lbs x 30 Rest Paused per arm
              This workout: 22.5lbs x 35 Rest paused per arm

Hammer Strength Crunch Machine
              90lbs x25 Rest Paused

Elliptical
              x21 minutes

NOTES
              Workout felt good, but the numbers are embarrassing. Left shoulder was really sore before the workout from fighting with rusted on bolts on my car in awkward positions all weekend, but it was the right arm giving out early that killed me on shoulder press and BP to neck.
              About ready to give up on dieting after this weekend... had a family member go on and on about how skinny I am now, wondering where all my muscle went. Just what we all want to hear when we're getting lean.

On that note - weigh in day on Sunday had me at 228, which was heavier than I wanted to see... but I was also holding quite a bit of water for some reason. May have been a result on the meal I had at a restaurant the night before.

Comment

Workout 6 - baselines - 4/22/14

Leg Press Calf Raise
                400lbs + sled x10 DC Style

Stiff Leg Deadlift - 6 reps, add weight, no rest before next set
                235lbs x6 -> 255lbs x6 -> 275lbs x4

Hack Squat
                450lbs +sled x 8

Leg Press Widowmaker
                690lbs +sled x crap... 16,8,3...

Hip Abductor Machine
                145lbs x 27 Rest Paused

Hip Adductor Machine
                160lbs x 28 Rest Paused

NOTES
                Good workout today. Leg Press widowmaker just didn't work out very well again - not sure what the deal is there. I may just go back to a straight 20ish rep set instead of the "Dusty Style Widowmaker".

Comment

Cardio Wednesday - 4/23/14

Stepmill
                  x60 minutes

3 Position Standing Cable Crunch
                  90lbs x 34 Rest Paused

Comment

Welcome back!
                    [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                    Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Thanks man.
                      As promised in the PM:
                      - my current supplement routine:

Pre-workout: currently MusclePharm Arnold Iron Pump

Intraworkout: muscle martini from GAT

Post workout: nothing special - protein and carbs

MusclePharm vitamins.

At night: Arnold Iron Dreams

Throughout the day I'm adding beta-alanine back in starting today.

I've got a lot of MusclePharm stuff right now... The only reason for that is that I was curious about the Arnold products, and they were free.

Comment

Workout 7 - baselines - 4/24/14

Freemotion Cable Curl
                        110lbs x 17 Rest Paused

2 Arm Single Dumbell Hammer Curl
                        120lbs x 18 Rest Paused

Behind the Head Pulldown
                        170lbs x 18 Rest Paused

Nautilus XPLoad Compound Row
                        160lbs per arm x 8; 135lbs per arm x 11

Elliptical
                        x15 minutes

NOTES
                        Good workout today. I realized today though that I need to dump Freemotion curls. I've been going back and forth from 100lbs to 120lbs on them for the last 2 "blast" phases...
                        In the locker room today before the workout I had someone come up and ask me about the DC Training shirt I was wearing at my last workout - he said he had tried out DC before and had questions... so we spent some time talking about it, I'll be curious to see if he ends up going back to it now that I clarified a few things for him. He made some comment about seeing me "going beast mode" - that made me laugh a little bit since I feel like an anorexic girlscout just tickling the weights lately. :bb:

Comment

Nice workout.

No one ever talks to me when I wear my DC shirts ;-(

For back thickness do you focus on rowing variations only?

My days of deadlifts are gone for.sure.
                          [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                          Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Thanks man.

Yeah, rowing movements for back thickness for me. I love the idea of deadlifting movements, but inevitably I end up having to drop them when they flare up my neck or back.

Comment

Workout 8 - baselines - 4/25/14

Incline Dumbell Fly
                              60lb dumbells x 19 Rest Paused

Powersquat Machine Shoulder Press
                              560lbs + sled x 16 Rest Paused

EZ Bar Triceps Pressdown
                              72.5lbs x 24 Rest Paused - very slow negatives

Hammer Strength Crunch Machine
                              95lbs x 22 Rest Paused

Elliptical
                              x15 minutes

NOTES
                              Good workout. I woke up with both shoulders sore for no apparent reason, luckily that cleared up after a few warmup sets on flys. Still sticking with a "Fly Based Chest Routine" so I can get more of a pec workout without my right tricep interfering.

I discovered a possible reason for my recent difficulty in progressing strength (beyond the fact that I'm dieting) - the pre-workout I take doesn't appear to have any creatine in it, and I have dropped all other supplements that had creatine in them without really realizing it. Creatine has never done anything noticeable for me in the past... but it seems possible that it was doing a little more than I realized. I'm switching back to a different preworkout that I can't remember the name of right now for a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X