2014: Too Legit To Quit ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014: Too Legit To Quit ;)

Well... I'm not sure what I'm planning with this "journal" but I have always wanted to keep a better record of my training and 2013 was plagued with injury, surgery, injury and a rushed prep and a show that I was happy with how I looked... But left me wanting to look better.
    I needed to make some changes and I needed a new approach and I wanted coach that didn't "punish" me for being a shift worker.
    With research and reputation I found Skip in November of 2013.
    I've been working with him on a met rebuild (my endocrine system is a mess) and we will then cut to a lean sustainable weight.
    A bit about me and my goals (if anyone reads this)
    I'm a 26 year old register nurse in Adult Intensive Care at a level one trauma centre.
    I have always been a gym rat and athlete. I played OFSSAA fast ball and varsity soccer... And for fun I played basketball and volleyball in high school as well. I got out of University and started shift working and no one wants a part time girl on their team so I started weight training.
    I've done 3 shows in 3 years. I am now provincially qualified as a women's physique competitor. I am a natural athlete in the ABBA. (Alberta Body Building Association)
    Height: 5'10
    Stage Weight: 162
    Current: FAF... (Fat as F*ck) lol 195lbs
    Goal: 160
    Next Show: June 2015 (if Skip approves) and life goes according to plan.
    This is long winded... I'm hoping to keep track of weight progression and use this as a journal/log of sorts... We will see.
    --- The road to hell, well you know.
    Gina

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/9ady7yra.jpg
    Left to right: 2011 (figure) 2012 (figure) 2013 WP
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/a8y2anuh.jpg
    Front and back of WP in 2013.
    Hoping to make improvements in size/thickness of upper body and lean my legs out.

Comment

Hey, awesome that you started a journal! And I love the title. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make. You are in great hands with Skip. I wish you all the best.

ps: Nurses are some of my favorite people (my 3 best friends are RN's and sister is NP).
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
        Hey, awesome that you started a journal! And I love the title. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make. You are in great hands with Skip. I wish you all the best.

ps: Nurses are some of my favorite people (my 3 best friends are RN's and sister is NP).

Hey! Thanks... Yeah nurses, an interesting breed and I should thank you for starting a journal... I was reading through yours and thought it was a great way to "not just lurk" as Skip put it and to keep track of actual gains vs. perceived gains! So here is to 2014!

Comment

Hi and welcome
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

01/07/14: Day 1
            I'm also an intermittent crossfitter. I like Olympic lifts and like to get tortured for an hour inside "the box" so today was an 0700 crossfit class. We did bench as our warm ups:

Flat bench: (5 sets leading to 1RM)
            65 x 5; 105 x 5; 135 x 5; 145 x 3; 155 x 2; 175 x1.
            Sprints, 50 lbs farmer carry suicides and glute/ham sit ups.
            WOD:
            10 barbell power clean #100
            20 box jumps
            30 double unders
            4 rounds

Ugh. I'm starving. My elbows and shoulders have been an issue for the last 4 weeks so this is my last week of Crossfit for a couple of months.
            Next Monday will be the start of my 6 week rotation (provided by Skip)

Comment

Originally posted by ginamurray View Post
              Hey! Thanks... Yeah nurses, an interesting breed and I should thank you for starting a journal... I was reading through yours and thought it was a great way to "not just lurk" as Skip put it and to keep track of actual gains vs. perceived gains! So here is to 2014!
              Interesting and some of the hardest working, caring people I know.

I'm glad my journal gave you a little nudge to start one too. No journal = mind games, inconsistency, etc. Journal = public confession...keeps me a bit more in check.
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thanks Phoenix!
                01/08/14: Day 2
                Crossfit from hell...
                Running Mechanics x 2
                Reverse Running mechanics x 2
                Lunge Start Sprints x 4
                Pinball sprints... Like suicides but far worse ha ha
                Plank / left/ up down/ reverse up down/ right / plank 1 minute each
                10 tricep push ups
                50 20lb ball drops
                10 tricep push ups

Then the WOD:
                3 rounds (35 min time cap)
                1000meter row
                10 pull ups
                10 push press (135 lbs)
                20 dumbbell reverse lunges
                26:13 to finish.
                By the 3rd row of 1000m I was hoping I'd just die... Sadly I survived and I beat a few boys so #Success
                My weight is stable but I'm met rebuilding so no shock there. My hunger is noticeably increasing so good ish news.

G

Comment

01/09/14: Day 3
                  This insomnia is getting wayyyy old. However I got up and went for a plain old run. We are finally out of our deep freeze here (sorry for those who are still in it in the US)
                  I didn't have it in me to hammer out a crossfit workout this AM.
                  I pounded out 10km in 48:00 not my best time but it was a bangin' core workout... I forgot that when the ice warms up, it is slick as all hell... Meh.
                  Boring update today but I survived a run and I hate running.
                  G

Comment

Hunger sounds like good news to me! Good job on the ice run.
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

So starts week 1 of 6... (I went to crossfit 10/11/12... But it was more of the same, silently wishing death would take me... Then it was over ha ha)
                      01/13/14: Back and Chest
                      Two working sets for each, reps 8-12. For all my benches I use the Olympic bar. I try to do 5 warm up sets for each but it doesn't always happen, sometimes I over estimate my a ability and a warm up becomes a work set. I'll be honest when I say I am new to this style of training and I am not sure if I'm doing enough sets but I guess we will see...
                      Incline Bench: 125/135
                      Flat Bench: 135/155
                      Decline Bench: 95/105 (no spot so I was leary)
                      Lat Pull Downs: 135/140
                      Seated Row: 120/130
                      One Arm Row: 55/65
                      Dead Lifts: 165/175
                      Obviously I only listed my work sets. Like I said I'm not sure so I will have to assess as the days go.
                      01/15/14: Legs
                      Leg Press: 360/410
                      Leg Extensions: 95/100
                      Squats: 145/155
                      High Leg Press: 270/320
                      Walking Lunges: 70/80 for 24
                      Hamstring Curls: 60/70
                      Hanging leg Raises: 3x 15
                      Crunches: 3 x failure
                      Cable Crunches: 3 x failure

My leg numbers are a lot lower than they used to be, but a previous coach strongly discouraged leg training because my upper body needed to catch up... I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are on this. My last show I was told I was still 60/40. As in take down my legs and bring up my shoulders etc.
                      However I think if my legs had been leaner, I would have been closer to 50/50... Either way.
                      I trained legs today and will likely continue to do so unless anyone has an opinion....
                      G

Comment

Is Skip handling your training? If so, trust the man with the plan.

Your thinking regarding the leg training makes sense to me.
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Working...
                        X