Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westside for Skinny Bastards Journal

Hey all,

I'm a 22 year old guy really want to build some muscle. Have previously competed in powerlifting and did OK, lifts were 170kg squat, 110kg bench and 205kg deadlift. I have since taken two years off lifting as I am at University, I am currently in my final year and really want to get back into the iron. I hope I can be bitten by the bug again, my life was running real smooth when I was lifting, I want the routine back!

I will post pictures of what I look like in a week, I look terrible at the moment.

I am going to be lifting using a bodybuilding type split with lots of compound and following a strict diet wise.

I am 6 ft 4 and weigh around 188lbs.

Thanks for reading, lets do it! Lift big and eat big!

BOOM. Training starts on tomorrow.
    Last edited by 329329; 10-12-2013, 02:40 PM.

Welcome to IM best of luck reacquainting yourself w/the iron!
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Hey thanks so much, I will be starting again as of Monday! Really hope we can give this the best shot possible. I am considering keeping a youtube Vlog to track progress.

Comment

Diet will be as follows, hope it looks good.

DIET

1) 7AM Eggs instant oats fish oil whey
        2) 9AM Eggs instant oats whey
        3) 12AM tuna sandwich
        4) 2PM MRP
        5) 5PM chicken and potatos or beef and potatoes
        6) 7PM Pre/post workout creatine and fruit juice/whey
        7) 9PM cottage cheese and peanuts

Comment

TUESDAY BACK AND BICEPS
          Deadlift x 8
          Pullups 3 x 12
          Dumbbell rows 3 x 12
          Shrugs 3 x 12
          Barbell curls 3 x 12
          Hammer curls 3 x 12

THURSDAY CHEST SHOULDERS TRICEPS
          Bench press 3 x 8
          Incline bench press 3 x 12
          Military press 3 x 8
          Lateral raise 3 x 12
          Tricep pushdown 2 x 12
          Skullcrushers 3 x 12

FRIDAY LEGS
          Front squat 3 x 12
          Lunges 3 x 12
          Stiff leg deadlifts 3 x 12
          Leg curls 3 x 12
          Calfs 3 x 15
          Last edited by 329329; 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

First workout done today (legs). Tried to keep rep tempo slow and rest periods fast.

Front squat: 40kg 8/8/8
            Lunges: 10kg 12/12/12
            Stiff leg deadlift: 50kg 12/12/12
            Leg curl: 22.7kg 12/12/12
            Seated calf raise: 20kg 12/12/12

I have cooked 9 chicken breasts for the week and am also going to see how I can work with ground beef, cooked over a kilogram of that too.

Lets see if I can grow!

Thanks.

Comment

WEEK ONE

Chest and Triceps

Bench 50kg 8/8/8
              Incline dumbbell press 12/12/12
              Flat flyes 8kg 12/12/12
              Tricep pushdown 18.7kg 12/12/12
              Skullcrushers 15kg 12/12/12

I am using bitch weights at the moment and am being really humbled by the difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding. Using bodybuilding form my weights are significantly lower than they were when I was strength training, simply due to the fact that the reps are so much slower and controlled. This really brings home how you have to put your ego at the door when you train like this. I could lift heavier weights and not make gains, but I choose to lift in a strict manner so that in a years time I can have slapped on mass. Realistically it's going to take me about three years to get the physique I really want, but I am very motivated. Have not missed a meal yet. It's week one, I am going to take a video of my body now (looking shit) and then will take another video in 12 weeks time and post on here to show my gains. I sincerely hope with a decent training routine and diet I can make appreciable gains. This has been my work for the day, it is now done, so it's over to eating and recovering.

I am praying to the muscle Gods out there that my genetics don't suck when it comes to gaining muscle, but only time will tell.

Thanks,

Comment

Worked out again, diet was good also, I will try to eat more carbs in future as I don't feel as if I am getting enough, maybe throw in a bowl of cereal and a banana for breakfast. This is missing from my diet I feel as I did not have enough energy in the gym today, but I toughed it out anyway. I also will change my routine so I don't train upper body two days in a row, that was a rookie error.

Shoulders and traps
                Military press 30kg 8/8/8
                Side laterals 7kg 12/12/12
                Rear lateral raise 7kg 12/12/12
                Dumbbell shrugs 15kg 12/12/12
                Facepulls first part of the stack (this is mainly for rotator cuff so not heavy) 20/20/20

That's all guys. I'm going to get my cheat meal for the week in soon, then diet carries on as per usual. Thanks for reading. I am desperate to gain muscle and am going to keep logging, this first year of training I wanna get everything right and put on as much mass as possible, I want to check this log in a years time and laugh at these bitch weights I'm lifting and be satisfied with the gains I've made.

Peace,

Comment

Originally posted by 329329 View Post
                  Diet will be as follows, hope it looks good.

DIET

1) 7AM Eggs instant oats fish oil whey
                  2) 9AM Eggs instant oats whey
                  3) 12AM tuna sandwich
                  4) 2PM MRP
                  5) 5PM chicken and potatos or beef and potatoes
                  6) 7PM Pre/post workout creatine and fruit juice/whey
                  7) 9PM cottage cheese and peanuts
                  What are the amounts for the foods listed? You mentioned that you don't think you're getting enough carbs, just curious what your macros look like.

And if you're going to add additional carbs I'd start with adding more post-workout as opposed to breakfast.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                  2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                  2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                  2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                  2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                    What are the amounts for the foods listed? You mentioned that you don't think you're getting enough carbs, just curious what your macros look like.

And if you're going to add additional carbs I'd start with adding more post-workout as opposed to breakfast.
                    Hey, I am not sure on the exact amounts of food as I don't have a scale at the moment, I could buy one if you think that would be a good idea. And thanks for the tip I will add more carbs in the post workout time period.

Comment

Yeah, a scale would be a good idea if you're serious about this...

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                      2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                      2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                      2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                        Yeah, a scale would be a good idea if you're serious about this...
                        Turns out there is a scale in my house and I've been using it. It's 3 eggs, tuna is one drained can, chicken or beef are 200g each time I have them. I will post the macros up later.

Comment

OK so a major lesson was learned today, I truly need more carbs before a workout. The oats I have written there in my diet are 30g of instant oats which I consume in a shake, this really isn't cutting it for me as I have learned from a pretty weak workout today and I will instead be eating my oats as a big bowl of rolled oats with a scoop of whey.

WEEK 2

Back
                          Deadlifts 60x 5
                          60 x 5
                          100 x 5

Was fairly straight forward, at this point I was feeling OK but I knew something was a little off....After this my energy levels just began to plumet. Felt awful and demotivated! Really pissed me off because each workout is an opportunity to grow, you miss it and you have to wait a week to hit that bodypart again. Oh well lesson learned, I will be dialing in the nutrition from this point on - different people have different energy systems, it just so happens mine really does need more carbs pre workout! I ate a bowl of oats after and felt as though I could go to the gym again lol.

Pullups
                          2/2/2/2/2 - very weak on these at the moment, ah well, time and consistency is key.
                          Dumbbell rows
                          20kg 12/12/12

These were too light a weight but I was tired so just used 20s. I may try and use 25kgs next week if I have more energy...which I will!

Biceps
                          15kg straight bar curls 12/12/12 form was good on these.

Was meant to do hammer curls but was zapped.

Big lesson learned, I felt bummed for having a bad workout but there was nothing I could do. I will just pick myself up, learn from it and kill chest on Wednesday.

Comment

Had a great workout yesterday, triceps are shot today!

Bench: 52kg 8/8/8 (+2kg)
                            Incline db press: 17kg 12/12/11 (+5kg)
                            Incline flye: 12kg 12/12/12 (did these incline rather than flat like last week, felt good)
                            Tricep pushdown: pin @ 6 12/12/12 (I am going to switch stations for this next week as the one I used doesnt allow for a good stretch. I expect the weight to go down next time)
                            Skull crushers: 17kg 12/12/11 (+ 5kg, these are an excellent exercise I think really work the tri)

Then walked on the treadmill for a while. Happy with this session.

Peace,

Comment

Had a sucktastic video today, woke up late and only had a short amount of time to work out, I only had time to do front squats but I did make it to all my lectures and classes today and had a good day at Uni. I am being quite inconsistent with training at the moment which sucks, I really need to dial things in more and get on top. Front squats were with 42kg so atleast went up by 2kg. I am not too frustrated I'm just motivated to smash shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                              X