3rd time lucky DC blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd time lucky DC blast

To say the least my dc experiences so far have kicked my ass. Have tried 2 blasts but realised I wasn't ready for the program neither physically or mentally, the last time 1 month into the blast. I was gaining strength and weight but burnt out fast. However I always had the intention to keep trying after gaining more experience so here we go again. 24 now lifting seriously for 4 years and I just finished my masters in clinical exercise physiology. I currently weigh 96kg @ 13%bf (calipers at uni). Big 3 bests are bench-155kg squat-170kg deadlift-210kg. I have an old rotator cuff injury from rugby which prevents me doing behind the neck movements and I hold the plates when I back squat. I have read all the stickies over the past 12 months and feel I have a good understanding of the program. My goals are to weigh a lean 100kgs (<10%) and bench 200 squat 220 and dead 250, while still having a functional mass (flexibility). Am currently formulating a dc routine and doing a relatively high volume program so hopefully a week off and a new low volume program will be a shock to the system. Anyways sorry for seeming like a program jumper but didn't want to do a program I didn't feel ready for. Any guidance from the veterans will be much appreciated.

A1
    Inc dumb RP 15-20
    Seated smith press RP 15-20
    Dips RP 15-20
    Wide pull up RP 11-15
    Rack deads 6-9+9-12

B1
    Bar curl RP 15-20
    Reverse cable curl RP 25-30
    Leg press toe press 11DC
    Seated leg curl RP 25-30
    Leg press 8-10 + 20

A2
    Inc hammer press RP 11-15
    Dumb press RP 25-30
    Close grip bench RP 15-20
    V bar pull down RP 15-20
    T-bar row 6-9 + 9-12

B2
    Dumb curl RP 15-20
    Reverse curl RP 25-30
    Smith calf raise 12 dc style
    RDL 2x10
    Front squat 6-8
    Hack squat 20

A3
    Bench RP 11-15
    Wide upright row RP 15-20
    Skull crusherRP 25-30
    Wide pull down RP 15-20
    Bent row 6-9 + 9-12

B3
    Preacher curl RP 15-20
    Alternating Hammer curl RP 11-15
    Hack calf raise-12 dc style
    Lying leg curl-RP 25-30
    Squat-6-8 + 20

Ill take all the write offs about flat bench and be first to admit i was a wanker if I tear a pec or cuff. Some higher reps for exercises I respond better to with higher reps, don't see this as trying to make program better just better suited to me. Hammer curls are lower reps as have always grown best from that. And forearms are rest

A1 (3s negatives for all & all weights in lbs)
    Incline bench press-200-13, 5, 2, static hold
    Stretch
    Seated barbell military press-135-10, 3, 2
    Rear delt cable-20-25
    Stretch
    Dips-55-10, 4, 4
    Stretch
    Pull ups-BW (210) 9, 5, 3
    Rack deads (2" below knee)-355-8 330-12
    Stretch
    Weights were way down due to low calorie throughout day. By as much as 40 lbs on rack deads for what I expected but in warm up could tell it was a low day. Could be fact that racks were last and I was wrecked by end. Workout took around 80 mins with 1 partner. Rear delt cables as rear delt already lagging

Comment

Everything is really sore from yesterday's session except for chest. Feel like I've been hit in the back with a baseball bat........I love it. Gonna have to up the stretching and glut amine and buy a fan as nights are getting hot coming into summer and cannot get a solid sleep which I don't want to affect my gains

Comment

WOA WOA WOA. you have read the stickies over the last 12 months and yet you still want to Flat bench? :soapbox:
        We are not flat bench haters..Rest pausing flat bench and using weights upwards of 300lbs and doing 11-15rp = disaster if/when it goes wrong.IE you get 7reps...rest...3 reps...1rep <--that last rp set whilst you are fatigued and tired and form is sometimes bad-ish and you are going for that all out, I will move the earth to make this rep, no matter if I get stuck half way up, I will own it..has the potential to have nasty consequences. In fact the last two RP sets.

I don't know about you, but even if you love flat bench, would you rather have which scenario :

1) Never flat bench again whilst DCing (rest pausing) and thus lessen the chance of a serious pec/rotator cuff injury etc. Psychologically you think your chest won't grow as much, (if your worrying about that, then you are not ready for DC) but you should see the bigger picture of..

2) You flat bench (and god forbid) BOOM, good buy upper body training for months and months, Pec tear. IF and I mean IF you get a half decent surgeon he will be able to repair it to 90% (Layne Norton was lucky with this, he has said on a thread here and other boards how lucky he was with his surgeon) but you never get 'that look' of your chest/side chest back.

The bigger picture is: You train smart today to be able to train tomorrow and so forth.

Trust me, your chest will grow just fine on DC with Incline Bench at 11-15rp,Hammer Strength 15-20rp and Dumbell Flat Bench at 20-30rp. (there is no magic rep range btw, just utilise alot of them for your body parts, except back thick/quads..unless you have underlying back and knee issues, then you should be smart enough to work around those).

If your chest is 'weak' then I would probably disagree and say its probably a lack of muscle atm and not a weakness. But by all means if it really is a weakness, then DC should be set up for this.

Sorry for the long post about flat benching, i'll have a look at the rest now. But Mental/Sammich/Homon etc are your best guys for this.
        martin_h
        Middleweight Member
        Last edited by martin_h; 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

my opinion

I am in red..just my opinion.Take it how you want. But Homon and Mental are your best bets. But like Homon and Mental have asked..Pics/injuries/height/weight/previous training history/reasoning for DC etc etc

Originally posted by sykedtotrain View Post

A1
          Inc dumb RP 15-20
          Seated smith press RP 15-20 Personally looking at your other Shoulder rep ranges and exercises, you will be just fine putting these at 11-15rp. Especially since your chest exercise on this day is already higher on the rep range
          Dips RP 15-20 From my experience (always a ropey sentence on here when Homon comes on and owns your bottom :P) Dips have been better with a 20-30 RP range. I feel this is because the rep range has more room for improvement and less room for injury: IE you are not trying to bang out 1-2 reps more to get from 15RP last week to 17RP this week with a heavy weight, so edging on the side of caution and going for a bigger rep range, you lessen the load and have more to work with with that load IE you use BW and an extra 30kg of weight in the 20-30rp range, you get 22RP this week and next week you get 25RP, the week after you get 27/28RP. Now you bump the weight up 5lbs for next time..That way you have kept form and technique right(not a real heavy load) and not tried smashing out reps with an exercise that can fck up your rotators and elbows/wrists(due to higher rep range to work within)NOW Homon/Mental may disagree, in which case I will run and flee/apologise
          Wide pull up RP 11-15 Pullups are fantastic and I did them in my blast..however, can you grind out reps on a pullup or a rack chin..which one is better for DC?
          Rack deads 6-9+9-12

B1
          Bar curl RP 15-20
          Reverse cable curl RP 25-30 Why are you RP-ing forearms? No No No, Straight set my friend. 12-20 SS done as fast as possible after the bicep exercise. RPing your forearms after all the work they are doing in rowing/pushing etc is a recipe for overkill
          Leg press toe press 11DC 11DC? what is this? it is 10-12 ss DC style..EXPLOSIVE Concentric, slow/controled eccentric and a count to 15 (CURSE DANTE) at full stretch/repeat
          Seated leg curl RP 25-30
          Leg press 8-10 + 20 Take your damn hands off your knees and be true to yourself. Just a little advice, not that I know if your doing this!

A2
          Dumb press RP 25-30 Change to 20-30rp..see above for my reasoning on this
          Close grip bench RP 15-20 You would be fine here with 11-15RP..but if are utlising different rep ranges then this is just fine.
          V bar pull down RP 15-20
          T-bar row 6-9 + 9-12

B2
          Dumb curl RP 15-20
          Reverse curl RP 25-30
          Smith calf raise 12 dc style
          RDL 2x10 You should put romanian Deadlifts/SLDL at the end of leg day after the widow..these are the only exception to the rule. This is due to the lower back taxation before a widow and a heavy quad set.
          Front squat 6-8
          Hack squat 20

A3
          Bench RP 11-15Already answered this. Not about you being a wnker...your displaying a silly attitude to this..If I get injured..well if you do, its goodnight training.think about it!!!
          Skull crusherRP 25-30 I would change this to 20-30rp. 25-30 is too short of a range for skulls. Also you are not going to get much bang for your buck on Skullcrushers compared to say Reverse grip bench or a Hammer Strength dip machine. ALTHOUGH a Deadlift SKullcrusher is an excellent variation.
          Wide pull down RP 15-20 For the sake of exercise selection and having one pulldown movement in here already, i would swap this for rack chins or Hammer strength pulldown if you have one.
          Bent row 6-9 + 9-12

B3
          Preacher curl RP 15-20
          Alternating Hammer curl RP 11-15 see above about forearms
          Hack calf raise-12 dc style
          Lying leg curl-RP 25-30 This should be 15-30rp..15 being the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM
          Squat-6-8 + 20

Comment

A1
            Inc bench RP 11-15
            Dumb shoulder press RP 20-30
            Dips RP 20-30
            Wide pull up RP 11-15
            Rack deads SS 6-9+9-12

B1
            Bar curl RP 15-20
            Reverse cable curl SS 12-20
            Leg press toe press SS 12 (15s bottom
            Hold, explosive conc/ slow ecc)
            Seated leg curl RP 20-30
            Leg press SS 8-10 + 20 (no knee hugging)

A2
            Flat dumb bench RP 20-30
            Seated barbell military press RP 11-15
            Close grip bench RP 15-20
            V bar pull down RP 15-20
            T-bar row SS 6-9 + 9-12

B2
            Dumb curl RP 15-20
            Reverse curl SS 12-20
            Smith calf raise SS 12 dc style
            Front squat SS 6-8
            Hack squat SS 20
            RDL SS 2x10

A3
            Skull crusher RP 20-30
            Wide rack chin RP 11-20
            Bent row SS 6-9 + 9-12

B3
            Preacher curl RP 12-20
            Alternating hammer curl SS 12-20
            Hack squat calf raise SS 12 DC style
            Lying leg curl RP 20-30
            Back squat SS 6-8 + 20

How does this look. Big thanks for the help as well Martin.

Comment

Changed my stubborn attitude on flat bench as a mate just tore his pec which removed that feeling of invincibility.

Comment

History is in top of first post (ht, wt, bf and injuries & best lifts), training history is
                18-20 years old- 3 day upper lower split 8-10 reps (weight 70-80kg)
                20-23-changing it up once I plateaued between 5x5 & 5/3/1 trying poliquin a advanced GVT some standard volume program's and 2 DC blasts (2nd and longest 1 month). (Weight 80-96kg)

Comment

Change your goddamn avatar!!! Why are there so many critique my blast threads? This stuff is easy for crying out loud...

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                    Change your goddamn avatar!!!
                    Yeah, that's a little creepy and I feel like my eyes were raped.
                    2005 HOA Natural Classic
                    2006 OCB Midwest
                    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                    2008 HOA Natural Classic
                    NPC Mid-Illinois
                    NPC Midwest Open
                    NPC Natural Grand Prix
                    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                    USPA Illinois State
                    NGA Heart of America
                    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Wasn't really a critique my blast thread. But if someone who knows more than me gives advice I'm gonna take it.

Comment

Working...
                      X