Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials and Tribulations - Training my Lil Brother

Firstly a quick intro:

My little brother is 12. He is a Brown belt in Karate. He has done this since the age of 8 and has won quite a few local and national comps (kata and sparring) He has recently decided to stop going to his Karate class, due to his class now being full of children around the age of 6-10. He feels he isn't gaining the required info he should be, due to sensei, having to teach the younger children.(the adult class is 14+ years, no exceptions to the rule)

His father lives in Australia, (over in England here) so i often feel responsible for him and treat him like my own son (13 year age difference). We have talked about him going to another Karate school, but he feels the other senseis are too strict and not as good as teaching as his current sensei. (try explaining to a kid that you don't know until you try, when, A) I am not his dad and he doesn't need to listen to my advice and B) as Skip said in his blog: They don't listen to family because we know jack shit..Strangers on the other hand: EXPERTS)

Anyway, I told him I will not have him sit on his ass at home, on Saturday/Wednesday instead of going to Karate. We agreed that I will begin to train him on a Mon/Wed/Fri.

So i have made this thread to hold us accountable.

I really believe we can be a success together.

Before I go into how i have laid out his training, do any of you have any advice on training younger kids/family members?
    Last edited by martin_h; 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM.

That went down like a lead balloon.

Anyway, I am late posting this due to moving house recently.

Here is the Routine I have put together for my lil brother.

Please bear in mind when reading this, he cannot do a simple pressup/pullup and he doesnt even know how to jump. In essence, he doesn't have a clue about how to peform basic movement patterns, so the aim of this program is to teach him this, whilst keeping it fun and putting in some progression to get him from just bodyweight and onto barbells.

My main hope out of all this is to leave him in good sted for his future years and to show him that a fit lifestyle will help him in life and above all give him confidence.
    Hell, if I can give him some social skills and get him to smile, then its a job well done!

Comment

Ben’s Periodization Program – Beginner Program.

Aim of the program is to Improve:

Press up – Technique/form. Able to perform 3 good sets of press ups for reps (8-10reps without form break down)

Squats - Technique/form. Able to perform 3sets of squats for reps (8-10reps without form break down)

Pull-ups - Technique/form. Able to perform 3sets of squats for reps (8-10reps without form break down)

Flexibility/Mobility - Improve ROM through joints and muscles.

Co-ordination - To be able to co-ordinate multiple muscles to work in tandem. I.e. the Squat/Pushup etc.

The purpose of the program as a whole is to teach all of the above but more importantly, introducing a routine and teaching about a fit lifestyle.

Length of program: 6-8 weeks

Week 1 – Monday

Warm Up - Jog / Dynamic Warm ups

Incline Push up - 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Assisted Pull up – 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Forearm Plank Hold – 3 sets of 20-second holds

Abdominal Crunches – 3 sets of 8-10 reps

1-2 Minute rest between sets/exercises.

Week 1 - Wednesday

Squat - 3 sets 8-10 reps

Lunges - 3 sets 8-10 reps

10 Box Jumps

Overhead Press - 3 sets 8-10 reps

Side Bends - 3 sets 8-10 reps

Week 1 - Friday

General Conditioning day

Sled Drags - 3 sets of 50 yards

Sled Pulls - 3 sets of 30 yard pulls

30m Sprints x 3

1-2minute rest between sets and sprints

Week 2 - Monday

Incline Push up - 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Assisted Pull up – 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Forearm Plank Hold – 4 sets of 20-second holds

Abdominal Crunches – 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Cool down - Static Stretches/Walking

Week 2 - Wednesday

Squat - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Lunges - 4 sets 8-10 reps

15 Box Jumps

Overhead Press - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Side Bends - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Week 2 - Friday

General Conditioning day

Car Tire Throwing and slams

Sled Running or Tug O war with Big Bro

Week 3 - Monday

Incline Push up - 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Assisted Pull up – 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Forearm Plank Hold – 4 sets of 40-second holds

Abdominal Crunches – 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Week 3 - Wednesday

Squat - 4 sets 10-12 reps

Lunges - 4 sets 10-12 reps

15 Box Jumps

Overhead Press - 4 sets 10-12 reps

Side Bends - 4 sets 10-12 reps

Week 3 - Saturday (Changed from Friday JUST this week, due to it being Mountain Biking)

General Conditioning day

Mountain Biking with brother

Week 4 - Monday

Push up - 2 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form)

Pull up – 2 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form)

Forearm Plank Hold – 3 sets of 1 minute holds

Abdominal Crunches – 2 sets 8-10 reps x 5kg

Hang as long as Possible from Chin Bar x 2

Week 4 - Wednesday

Squat - 4 sets 10-12 reps

Lunges - 4 sets 10-12 reps

15 Box Jumps

Overhead Press - 4 sets 10-12 reps

Side Bends - 4 sets 10-12 reps

1 minute rest between sets

Week 4 - Friday

General Conditioning day

Sled Drags - 4 sets of 50 yards

Sled Pulls - 4 sets of 30 yard pulls

30m Sprints x 4

Week 5 - Monday

Push up - 3 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form) Emphasis on form/technique again here. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form without me coaching how to do it.

Pull up – 3 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form) Emphasis on form/technique again here. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form without me coaching how to do it.

Forearm Plank Hold – 4 sets of 1 minute holds

Abdominal Crunches – 3 sets 8-10 reps x 5kg

Hang as long as Possible from Chin Bar x 3

Week 5 - Wednesday

Squats with Barbell - As many sets as necessary for form/technique to sink in

Lunges with Kettlebells - As many sets as necessary for form/technique to sink in

20 Box Jumps

Overhead Press - 4 sets 10-12 reps (use more weight than last time)

Side Bends - 4 sets 10-12 reps (use more weight than last time)

1-2 minute rest between sets

Week 5 - Friday

General Conditioning day

Choice of:

Bike Ride
      Or
      Sled and chain work
      Or
      Kettlebell work
      Or
      Mini Assault Course

Week 6 - Monday

Push up - 4 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form) Emphasis on form/technique again here. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form without me coaching how to do it.

Pull up – 4 sets of 8-10 reps (or as many as can be done with good form) Emphasis on form/technique again here. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form without me coaching how to do it.

Forearm Plank Hold – 4 sets of 1:30 minute holds

Abdominal Crunches – 4 sets 8-10 reps x 5kg

Hang as long as Possible from Chin Bar x 4 (if this is easy: then aim is to get feet as high up as possible.)

Week 6 - Wednesday

Squats with Barbell - As many sets as necessary for form/technique to sink in. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form and re-enforcing it, hopefully coaching points won’t be required.

Lunges with Kettlebells - As many sets as necessary for form/technique to sink in. Not interested in volume/intensity, just correct form and re-enforcing it, hopefully coaching points won’t be required.

2 sets of 10 box jumps at a higher height than previous 5 weeks

Overhead Press - 4 sets 10-12 reps (use more weight than last time)

Side Bends - 4 sets 10-12 reps (use more weight than last time)

1-2 minute rest between sets

Week 6 - Friday

General Conditioning day

Car Tire Throwing and slams

Sled Running or Tug O war with Big Bro

At this point is correct pushup and pullup technique has been learnt, then we will move onto Bench Pressing/Deadlifting/Squatting etc IE the next phase of the program.
      If not and Ben is still getting used to Pushups/pullups etc and is needing coaching tips on basic movements then program will be a continuation of week 6 for another 2-4 weeks, as said, the aim is progression and teaching him basic movement patterns/skills whilst keeping training fun and cool.

Guys of IM..Any comments and changes are welcome. Please note that cooldowns will be on every training day and i left it out by mistake. Also skipping is part of the program, I also neglected to put that in.

As rigid as the program is, Mon/Wed/Fri. It will flexible as he is a kid, but I will make a point of teaching him to stick to a routine. Any variations as and when will be done on the day.

Comment

Time to update:

First week went well.

Struggled on how to lower the entire body as one in the Press up. Got inch worm a$$ at first, then a fantastic variation of dropping the chest, hitting the incline box and then thundering his hips to the floor and then only pushing his chest away from the box.
        A simple dowel across his back and tell him to imagine his body as a plank of wood and how it is rigid did the trick. Press ups have improved exponentially compared to the first time (I might add that I actually for sake of getting technique made him do 6 sets of 4-6 reps on monday and friday of the press up.) Next week, A lower box incline, steadily moving him towards a full press up.

Pull up's: THese were a laugh, as I moved house recently and have only just set up my power cage, I had to make him do the old fashioned Door Pull up. Suffice to say his strength was...non existent and even though I had him step from a chair so his chin was above the door, he couldnt lower himself slowly and instead, plummeted to the floor like a sack of spuds.I made him repeat this 3 more times for my amusement.
        Anyway, I replaced them with bent over rows and he nailed the form on that.

Forearm plank hold - Excellent. Nailed it right off the bat.

Ab crunches - These resembled somebody trying to blow them self off, at least thats what I thought. As we have all seen, gym rats who think an ab crunch is coming half an inch off the floor and curling at the scalpula is not a Full ROM ab crunch, and nor is it the ideal way to blow ones self. But seriously, I stood him up, showed him where his hips were and how to perform a hip hinge (bending forward at the hips and then backwards). This fixed it, however, he did find it difficult keeping his hand behind his head and I could see his hammies and glutes trying to force him up, so I advised him to come up as far as he could (about 40 degress), hold it and lower slowly (1-2 seconds IE controlled).

Squats - Had no real trouble here, Nice arch in the lower back, Chest held high, nice and tight, got him to squat onto a box just below parallel. I came to the conclusion that his Karate has taught him most of these things without him knowing.

Lunges, He did not do walking lunges, reason being his form wasn't great. Tight hip flexors,hammies and not knowing what the hell a glute is never mind to get it to activate. So we have been practicing a stationary lunge, with my hand placed where his front knee has to stop (IE over his ankle and not his toes), these will get a lot better fast due to stretching and foam rolling.

Overhead Press- Done excellently, get core nice and tight, nice nuetral back and before I needed to say anything, He moved his chin out of the bar path and pushed his chest through at the end to complete the rep and reversed it ny on perfectly. I was really impressed here

Box Jumps - slight form issues here, but mainly due to lack of confidence with jumping onto a box and not worrying he is going to smash his teeth into it.

Conditioning. Had him perform sprints against me..on..wet grass.. I like a challenge, ha!
        It was great fun, I showed his basic running (on your balls of the foot, chest up, pump your arms back and forward etc) and then we sprinted together. I slipped 3 or 4 times onto my ass, which he found most amusing. A dog also chased us whilst we were sprinting and then tried to hump him. Excellent stuff.

Points of note:

My lil bro has no confidence in himself what so ever. I find it odd because he is a regional and national Karate champ in his age group. But he spent most of the time pulling his t shirt down, covering his stomach, head down at the ground, quiet and when asked a question mumbled his answer. I know why this is (family things, IE dad moving to Australia and my mum not being the most self confident person at all) and we will fix this. It's only the 2nd week atm and already he is a bit more confident and doesnt feel stupid. I think thats mainly because I got my sled out and starting doing sled walks/pushes and runs with A LOT of people bert staring me in the park and he saw I didn't give a sht and I told him to ignor other people, they just want to bring you down because they cant be fcked bettering themselves, so its easier to pull others down with them.

Comment

Lil bro's got a swollen throat from rugby, no training for today and Tuesday just gone (changed his training to Tues/THurs/Sat).

Im figuring out fast that my mum is letting my Lil bro do whatever the fck he wants and he has no boundaries. Hes not a naughty/misbehaving kid, he just sits in his room eating his tea/Dinner and plays his xbox (homework always gets done mind you) and never goes out. He wont even eat certain things because he doesnt like them.
          WHAT!? He should be told he gets what hes given.

My mum is also in denial with this and says "you were the same" (This is a downright fallacy: I always went out and played with kids ALWAYS. The only similiarality is I ate tea in my room[my step dad confirms this], which my son will NOT be doing. Tea time = Family time at the table)
          or
          Its just your brother and the way he is..WHAT, he is 12 years old. He is not an old man.
          or
          He doesn't want to do this or that - YEA, because you let him do what he wants, your the one whos supposed to be in control here.
          or
          you don't live with us, you wouldnt know what he does when your not here. Actually, he tells me he does fck all.

I love my mum, she is a kind and caring soul, but she needs to learn to listen and let me help, without seeing it as me saying "your a sh!t parent, when she isn't, she just needs to fine tune things here and there. I am not perfect, but i can stand back, listen and put my hands up and admit I was wrong and accept help. I can look at myself and say I was a prick there, I need to apologise.

IM : Don't see this as me thinking I am a better parent, I am just trying to look out for my kid brother and as far as I'm concerned that is all that matters. But as all parents here will say, "your just his brother, your not his parent, it's not down to you". I couldn't agree more, that for me is frustrating.

Comment

How do you get a swollen throat from rugby? I know that it is a bunch of dudes, without cups, getting into a big circle and jerkin each other around, but didn't realize brutal deepthroating was part of the gameplay.
            2010 NPC North Star

Comment

If he wasnt 12 that would have been my assumption.

He got kicked in the throat whilst releasing the ball after being tackled.

I can't stand for rugby much tbh, but I prefer it to "the world series" A glorified game of Rounders :P with one country taking part (bar Toronto).

(await the football jokes..thats right bitches, our football outdates your namby pamby game of kick n run)

Not srs

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                If he wasnt 12 that would have been my assumption.

He got kicked in the throat whilst releasing the ball after being tackled.

I can't stand for rugby much tbh, but I prefer it to "the world series" A glorified game of Rounders :P with one country taking part (bar Toronto).

(await the football jokes..thats right bitches, our football outdates your namby pamby game of kick n run)
                Not srs
                Whatever...

I would however like to suggest that you go easy on your little bro as he is still only 12 and is still developing/maturing. So some exercises if done incorrectly or too much intensity could have detrimental effect on his development. For his age I would utilize more bodyweight movements or dumbbell initiated movements. Also, if you make the program too hard, you might cause him to loose interest and not want to to it at all.
                Last edited by v1hyp; 10-17-2013, 02:37 PM.
                "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                  Whatever...

I would however like to suggest that you go easy on your little bro as he is still only 12 and is still developing/maturing. So some exercises if done incorrectly or too much intensity could have detrimental effect on his development. For his age I would utilize more bodyweight movements or dumbbell initiated movements. Also, if you make the program too hard, you might cause him to loose interest and not want to to it at all.
                  It was intended as a joke about Baseball and American Football. All just light hearted V.

Anyway. Yup, that's exactly what I am doing. I also see how he is on the day and scale it down or just go for sprints or go to an assault course together, so even if he doesnt do any training and we go 'conditioning' then I'm not fussed as I know he's only 12.

Thanks for the tip.
                  The 'program' was just something in writing for me to go against. But I often just go on the day and make sure he does some chins/pushups/dips/crunches and vary them (hand placement/incline/flat) etc and see if he can get more.

So it's not exactly as you see it above, thats just a reference point.

Going Mountain biking to Wales on Saturday, that will be fun.

I must admit, I have only trained folks between 19-60, so this is a learning curve for me, once which I am enjoying and tend to make the most of the time we have together.

You ever trained yours/anybodys children V? Any tips and advice is always welcome

Comment

Not much to report other than training going well.

He's improving in everything I throw at him.

He begged me for a go of the sled, so I let him loose with just the sled for a couple sprints and then added 15lbs for 2 sets of 60 yard drags. I've been showing him a few old videos of Worlds Strongest man (1980's/2000's/and the recent years 09/10/11/12) after he asked why i wanted to get bigger and stronger, It motivated him a lot more (and he's already motivated for a 12 year old).

Like i've said, at this stage even though I put a 'plan' up, we dont tend to stick to it for the most part and I just try to make it fun and engaging each time we train.

Progress is being made in the gym, however, trying to get my mum to stop giving him easy food because its easy for her is proving to be difficult and also a touchy ground. Frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                      It was intended as a joke about Baseball and American Football. All just light hearted V.

Anyway. Yup, that's exactly what I am doing. I also see how he is on the day and scale it down or just go for sprints or go to an assault course together, so even if he doesnt do any training and we go 'conditioning' then I'm not fussed as I know he's only 12.

Thanks for the tip.
                      The 'program' was just something in writing for me to go against. But I often just go on the day and make sure he does some chins/pushups/dips/crunches and vary them (hand placement/incline/flat) etc and see if he can get more.

So it's not exactly as you see it above, thats just a reference point.

Going Mountain biking to Wales on Saturday, that will be fun.

I must admit, I have only trained folks between 19-60, so this is a learning curve for me, once which I am enjoying and tend to make the most of the time we have together.

You ever trained yours/anybodys children V? Any tips and advice is always welcome
                      Sorry, I don't have much experience when it comes to training youth other than what I've read.
                      "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                      2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                      2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                      2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                      2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                      2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Working...
                      X