Doberman's Back Journal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doberman's Back Journal!

OK, I've been away for a while working on other things, but I've continued to train. For almost a year I've been doing Mountain Dog. I loved it, but due to some advice I was given by one of our long time, more knowledgeable members I have decided to switch to DC to build more strength, which will hopefully result in a more full looking physique for next years shows.

Today was my first day at it. I decided to start with Legs. Being it was my first day this was more of about feeling things out. Here is how it went:

EZ Bar Curls 85x12+5+4
    Reverse EZ Bar Curls 65x15

Leg Press Calf Raises 3 plates per side x 8+4+3 (I used a 5 sec neg/5 sec stretch and added the rest pause.

Seated Leg Curls 110x13+5+4

Leg Press (low foot position) 6 ppsx12.....5ppsx35 reps. I obviously went too light on this. Lesson learned for next time.

Overall, it let me know where I need to be next time. I feel it was better to error on the side of being more conservative and going too light this time then go too heavy and not get enough reps.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Glad to see you back in here!

Comment

Thanks, upper body today. This is going to take getting used to. Although I'm not a DC virgin it has been a while. I think this first week may be a little for play so to speak....ewwww

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

So what was this recommendation based on? Did you both feel without the strength levels that you were not reaping the benefits of mountain dog volume

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

No, although I'm sure that would play into things. I actually got the advice from Scott, and my wife...lol. They both agreed I was in good shape, but I had the appearance of someone that "dieted their ass off". With this approach the hope is to have a fuller, yet conditioned look. That is what I'm going to need if I hope to compete at Masters Nationals next year.

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Upper A

Cybex Incline Chest 2 45's, and purple bands, and 4 chains x 12+4+3+static hold (20 seconds)
            *I haven't asked Scott about using the bands or chains. I mainly added the bands because it stabilizes this particular machine more. As far as the chains, I said, "What the hell". Obviously this will overload the contraction point.

Shoulder Machine Press (This is a standing Body Solid Squat machine I have, but it works great for shoulders) 120x7+2+1+static hold 12 seconds

Slayer Barbell Skulls 70+bar x 12+6+3

BB Rows 205x8, 135x21 (too light on the 2nd set, but will obviously adjust next time)

MAG Close Prone Grip Pulldowns (This is on my home machine, which is not nearly as forgiving as the one at the gym. I'm guessing I'd need to go 20-40 lbs heavier there. 120x 12+8+7

Felt better than Day one. Still getting used to where the weights will be, but I'm definitely feeling motivated.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
              No, although I'm sure that would play into things. I actually got the advice from Scott, and my wife...lol. They both agreed I was in good shape, but I had the appearance of someone that "dieted their ass off". With this approach the hope is to have a fuller, yet conditioned look. That is what I'm going to need if I hope to compete at Masters Nationals next year.
              Why can't you get that with mountain dog training? Just curious.

Comment

I would interested too?

Comment

Welcome back
                  [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                  Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Hey Doberman,
                    Good to see ya man.
                    Dunhill225

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Robb, good question. Bottom line is that for the past few years I got stuck on getting the pump. This is nothing against MD training. For me, I need to concentrate on getting stronger. In the past I've had trouble with coming in looking like I "Dieted my ass off". That with higher volume equals a less dense look. Now I'm not precluding a MD run into contest prep, that may happen. Hell, I think the idea of going back into MD after a routine like DC would capture the best of both worlds (hypertrophy-wise).

So I need to be consistent and progressive while maintaining a strict diet. This is another part of the equation that I let get away from me during the last cycle of training. My "cheat" meals got away from me in the past. Now I'm being much more conservative and only including them when I need them, and when I do use them they will be the same each time unless they need to change.

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Today's Biceps and Lower Body Workout

DB Curls 40x12+6+4+Hold
                        Reverse Cable Curls 30 (more like 50-60 at the gym) x20

Seated Calves 90x8+4+3 (used a 5 second negative, 5 second stretch and rest paused...ouch. Almost forgot how bad this hurts.)

Wide Stance Vertical Leg Press 2ppsx12 3 ppsx8 4ppsx6 (I did a controlled negative for this just to get used to it again, and not torque my back. I also did straight sets to be safe as well.)

Front Squat (below parallel) 225x8 (too light), then went to 275x4 (solid reps. I'd rather get 4 perfect then 5 or 6 sloppy. I think I'll get 6 next time.) Back Squats WM 275x17 (should hit 20 next time). My best for front squats is 315x6, and 315 or maybe a little heavier for 20+ reps for a widow maker so I've got a decent amount of room to grow here.
                        Last edited by Doberman; 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM.

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Good to see you too Dun. What's up brother?

Truenutrition.com
                          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                            Robb, good question. Bottom line is that for the past few years I got stuck on getting the pump. This is nothing against MD training. For me, I need to concentrate on getting stronger. In the past I've had trouble with coming in looking like I "Dieted my ass off". That with higher volume equals a less dense look. Now I'm not precluding a MD run into contest prep, that may happen. Hell, I think the idea of going back into MD after a routine like DC would capture the best of both worlds (hypertrophy-wise).

So I need to be consistent and progressive while maintaining a strict diet. This is another part of the equation that I let get away from me during the last cycle of training. My "cheat" meals got away from me in the past. Now I'm being much more conservative and only including them when I need them, and when I do use them they will be the same each time unless they need to change.
                            Gotcha, that's where I think my powerlifting will pay off for this show

Comment

Agreed,

That heavy weight builds a great base, and then I feel MD might be good to add in. Like I said this isn't putting down JM's training. I think it's great, but all things have their place.

Truenutrition.com
                              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                              X