5/3/1, IF, and real life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/3/1, IF, and real life

Quick rundown for anyone who cares (had a journal about a a year or two ago, then one on the powerlifting section detailing my Block periodization attempt going into the USAPL Texas State meet). It has been 2 years and 4 months since my chest was sliced open and I had a benign teritoma(sp?) removed from my chest cavity. The Previous 5 months I had been doing mostly ednurance/crossfit style training for a police academy, which I had to drop out of for this surgery, and then life took me in a different direction. Previous to that I had been bodybuilding, but had lost about 20lbs for the police training/running/crossfit. I had gotten down to about 170lbs post surgery, and had hardly any muscle, and had to take it very slow when getting back into training. Since then I have competed in 3 powerlifting meets, and plan to continue that trend, and maybe throw in a Strongman contest at some point. Next meet will be in the fall or early winter.

I'm following a 5/3/1, Intermittent Fasting, feel free to ask about nutrition/diet stuff if you are curious, otherwise I will keep to mostly training posts and random life stuff (I am married, and have a 1.5 year old, and a 3 month old at home, August will be 3 years of marriage :-) ).

Today's workout: OH Press
    Push Press- 135x5, 155x5, 175x7
    Strict OH press- 130x5, 130x5, 130x5
    Flat DB Bench- 80s x10, 80s x8, 80s x7
    Dead Skull Crushers- 90x10, 90x8, 90x13 (10min rest, had to take a member walk in at work)
    UG chins- 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 12 (This was super setted with all OH work)
    1 arm DB row- 100x10x3 (Super setted with DB Bench)
    EZ Bar standing curl- 90x10, 90x8, 90x13 (Super setted with Skull crushers)
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Deadlift day: (weighed in at 197 this morning if anyone cares)
    Conv. Deadlift (switching back after pulling Sumo at my last meet)
    135x10, 225x5, 305x5, 355x5, 405x6+
    Deficit DL (4" step): 305x5, 305x5, 305x5
    Front Squat: 135x15, 175x12, 205x9
    Single Leg Leg Press: 90x10 each, 90x10 each
    Standing Ab Wheel roll outs (wide stance): 5, 5, 4
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

nice workouts Jeff. I'll be following along.
      Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
      BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Standing roll outs, those look so rough. Nice front squats. Do you cross arm, use straps or have great wrist mobility.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
          Standing roll outs, those look so rough. Nice front squats. Do you cross arm, use straps or have great wrist mobility.
          I cross my arms for the front squats... I really need to work on my cardio for my squats, as I really just get tired/lazy more than having muscular failure.

The roll outs were not all the way out, but they will get there.

Not sure if anyone is interested in Diet/nutrition, let me know:
          My "fast" is always broken with my intra workout drink (1 serving Karboload, 2 servings BCAA plus, and 2 servings Augment all from True Nutrtion).

Yesterday
          Meal #1 (post workout) 1pm:
          .75lbs shredded BBQ beef, 1 cup plain greek yogurt, 6 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 cup black berries, 2 large carrots

Meal #2 7:15pm:
          6 Turkey Sausages with BBQ sauce, 4 plain tortillas, 3 cups mixed vegetables, 4 cups whole milk, 1 Quest Protein bar, a couple handfuls of goldfish.

Today
          Meal #1 (post workout) 1:30pm:
          12 oz tuna, 3 tbsp mayo, 2 tbsp relish, 1 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup black berries, 2 large carrots

Meal #2 (7:30pm?)
          8 turkey dogs wrapped in croissants, 3 cups broccoli, 4 cups whole milk, maybe another Quest Protein bar

Comment

Also, I know the dinners the last two days are pretty crappy... My wife is having some severe anxiety issues, and is having to see a therapist/counselor once a week, and with our insurance sucking having to try to keep food cheap. More typical dinners in the future will be based more around lean beef, chicken breast, pork chops, eggs, and the like.

Comment

Hey Jeff I like the eating plan..I recently jumped from competing in the 198lb class to the 181's and I did something similar. ..no IF but low carb all day (and lower calorie) big dinner to fuel my fasted early morning workout

I liked it..I didn't start to get too hungry until about 3-3:30 and at that point I knew I had a nice dinner coming. I had a smaller dinner if I didn't train the following day.

Btw I remember following your journal when you found out you needed surgery hard to believe uts been 2 years, glad to see you've bounced back. Any chance you'll ever focus on bb again?
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Awesome deads!

I like the turkey dog/croissant wrap. I get a lot of food ideas from sparkrecipes.com. Nutrition is available and allows you to find some creative ways to make foods that fit your needs.
                2005 HOA Natural Classic
                2006 OCB Midwest
                2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                2008 HOA Natural Classic
                NPC Mid-Illinois
                NPC Midwest Open
                NPC Natural Grand Prix
                2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                USPA Illinois State
                NGA Heart of America
                NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post

Btw I remember following your journal when you found out you needed surgery hard to believe uts been 2 years, glad to see you've bounced back. Any chance you'll ever focus on bb again?
                  Yea, when I feel weak compared to others I just like to remember my chest was cut open 2 years ago and I was small as crap looking back at pics lol.

I don't see myself competing in Bodybuilding in the near future... I have trouble bodybuilding without becoming too vain/narcissistic. Perhaps if I could shake that. Perhaps if I can grow out of that then one day in the future, or if I stop making strides in Powerlifting...

Comment

Cardio/off day
                    30min on the treadmill (2.5mph, 15degree incline)
                    Jumping rope: 30sec, rest 1min, 30sec, rest 1min, 30 sec, rest 1min, 30 sec
                    10min foam rolling (back, lats, shoulders, glutes, hams, calves)
                    2min shoulder mobility/stretching

3 Servings of BCAA plus was consumed during course of workout, that will be it for caloric consumption for today...

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                      Yea, when I feel weak compared to others I just like to remember my chest was cut open 2 years ago and I was small as crap looking back at pics lol.

I don't see myself competing in Bodybuilding in the near future... I have trouble bodybuilding without becoming too vain/narcissistic. Perhaps if I could shake that. Perhaps if I can grow out of that then one day in the future, or if I stop making strides in Powerlifting...
                      I agree, I forget how sick I used to be and where I am now then I get sick again lol

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                        Any chance you'll ever focus on bb again?

Another reason as well (don't want people to think that I think this about all bodybuilders, just my problem with myself) is that I would always play the "bulking"/"cutting" game and only look good for like 2 months out of the year, I don't have the discipline to get really lean, keep my muscle, and do well in competition, and I got sick of having sub par placings with all my family there watching me.

If I do get back on stage in the future it will only be with the help of a solid coach (Skip, or Layne Norton pop to mind).

But right now I'm constantly at a place where i'm progressing on weights, fell/look a way that i'm happy with, so no need to change :-)

Comment

Another reason as well (don't want people to think that I think this about all bodybuilders, just my problem with myself) is that I would always play the "bulking"/"cutting" game and only look good for like 2 months out of the year, I don't have the discipline to get really lean, keep my muscle, and do well in competition, and I got sick of having sub par placings with all my family there watching me.

If I do get back on stage in the future it will only be with the help of a solid coach (Skip, or Layne Norton pop to mind).

But right now I'm constantly at a place where i'm progressing on weights, fell/look a way that i'm happy with, so no need to change :-)
                          That's a great attitude right there. I don't care to be ripped, 10% and strong is good for me to be quite honest, not hard to get to and not hard to maintain

Comment

Bench day: Trying to focus a lot more on pausing at the top of each rep, and at the bottom as my last meet felt like eternity waiting on the "start" and "press" commands.

Bench
                            bar x20
                            135x10
                            180x5
                            205x5
                            230x7

10 Band Pll aparts done with mini band between each set

WG (moved hans out about an inch) Bench, feet on Bench with 5count pause on chest:
                            180x5
                            180x5
                            180x5

1 arm OH DB press:
                            50x10
                            50x10
                            50x10

Dips:
                            bodyx10
                            red mini band behind neck x10
                            Purple light band behind neck x10

Face Pulls on seated pulley machine:
                            100x15
                            100x15
                            100x15

Lat Pull downs with WG MAG bar:
                            160x10

WG pull ups:
                            10, 9

1 arm Hammer Grip Preacher curls:
                            30x10x3

Lunch/first meal today is:
                            -2 Tuna sandwiches consisting of: 12oz tuna, 3tbsp mayo, 2tbsp relish, 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, and mustard.
                            -1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt, 6tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 cup oats, 1 cup black berries, 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnomon.
                            -2 large carrots

Will polish off the remaining 5 turkey sasuage's with BBQ sauce tortillas, veggies, and more whole milk for dinner.

Comment

Only made it through 3 turkey sausages last night as my appetite just wasn't there... so after those 3 with 3 tortillas and 2 cups of mixed veggies and 3 cups of whole milk, I polished off 4 pieces of banana cake my wife brought home from a baby shower :-)

I'm sick of posting diet stuff so unless someone really wants to see it I'm going to stick to training pretty much from now on.

Body weight today at end of week was 197lbs, and BF% was 15.4% as measured with the Bio-electrical Impedance.

Squat day
                              Squats: barx10, 135x10, 225x5, 260x5, 300x5, 340x8
                              Narrow stance Olympic Squat with 5 count in whole ATG: 260x5, 260x5, 260x5
                              Sumo DL (no chalk to work grip): 315x6, 315+purple light badnX6, 315+green medium bandX7 (grip started slipping)
                              Walking DB Lunges: 30s x15 each, 35s x10each, 30s x12each
                              Banded abs: Blue heavy bandx20, Blue heavy + Purple lightx20
                              Plank with 45lb plate on back x 40sec.

Super busy day at work today... good day though.
                              Last edited by bbjeff86; 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X