DICE II: Still Ugly but not as Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE II: Still Ugly but not as Fat

I decided it was time to start a new journal. My training and diet have evolved quite a bit thanks to 9 great months of working with Skip (money well spent. If you haven't done it. DO IT). He worked up a diet plan that allowed me to lose body fat AND continue to make strength and muscle gains. I’m on my own now but feel that I have the knowledge to successfully continue (most of the time) to drop the fat and gain the muscle.

My training split sort of resembles push/pull/legs or maybe, kind of the DC 3 way (mostly straight sets with some exercises being rest paused). DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a DC program. I do some type of compound movement that requires me to beat the log book and then some sort of isolation movement such as a cable fly or side dumbbell raise. I weight train 4 days one week and 5 days the next. This all revolves around me almost always training legs early in the week. I’ll explain this more as time goes on. I do cardio 5 days a week with Saturdays always being an off day to Skipload.

I’ll be 42 in June and other than a dirty shit shoulder I’m not doing too bad. Because of my diet and intra workout supplementation (thanks again to Mr. Hill) my recovery time is decent. I usually blast about 6-8 weeks and then take a week off. Currently I am in a cruise mode where I’m still doing cardio and I’m trying out different equipment around the gym. Sunday I’ll be starting a new blast with Chest, delts, and triceps.

Thanks for checking out my journal. I’d appreciate any feedback you guys have. Or if you just want to stop in to bust my balls, that’s cool too.

To bust ballz mainly
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Glad to see you start a journal Dice. I'll be following along. What are your current stats? Any specific goals?
      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
        To bust ballz mainly
        AWESOME!!!

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
        Glad to see you start a journal Dice.

What are your current stats?

Any specific goals?
        -I'm a little over 6 ft 1. My weight fluctuates from a dry morning wake up weight of 218 this morning to around 225 post workout. I can hit over 230 post Skipload

-Right now my goal is to continue to drop body fat to the point where I'm happy with the way that my abs look. That's where (like most guys) I'm carrying the most fat. Yet I want to continue to get stronger and add as much size as I can. Slow and steady. As long as I'm getting leaner but addind 5-10 pounds to my lifts every month, I'm good.

It's hard to put a "goal number" on things like body weight or body fat percentage because everyone seems to look different at different numbers. Shit, sometimes I see myself in the mirror at the gym in just the right light and I think "not too bad...douche bag staring at yourself in the mirror." Other times I see myself at home after I get out of the shower in the wrong light and think "Give it up old man, drink a beer, eat some pizza, you look like shit anyway."

Comment

Sup Dice, I'll be following.
          Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
          BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Any before and after pics from working with Skip?
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Im in.
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                Any before and after pics from working with Skip?
                I'll have to dig out the befores. They are buried deep somewhere on my laptop. I am waiting to do the afters. I still have some bf to drop before there is a "finished product"

I appreciate having all of you aboard! Motivates me to get back at it :-)

Comment

April 25, 2013

I’ve done some light weight training this week and kept the cardio. I also cut out a pre workout meal and the intra workout BCAA and Augment. Holy shit, even going light and not to failure, the weights felt heavy.

Here is what my meal timing looks like:

Usual Weight Training Day
                  -6:45 P/F
                  -9:00 P/C
                  -11:30 P/C
                  -12:30 Weight Train/Post weights cardio with Augment and BCAA

Non Weight Training Day with Cardio Only OR Cruise Mode
                  -7:15 P/F
                  -9:30ish P/C
                  -12:30 Cruise mode weight training with post cardio OR cardio ONLY

Today I didn’t do any weight training and I don’t plan to until I start blasting again on Sunday. My knees and hips felt a little sore today while I was on the bike so I’m shutting it all down for two days.

When I start training again Sunday, I will be sure to have a good carb meal beforehand AND my intra workout nutrition ready to go.

Comment

Baseline weight last Saturday was 217.4

Came in at 216.8 this morning.

Thing is I usually have no problem coming in below baseline during cruise weeks. Thinking is I hold less water because:
                    a. no Augment (creatine)
                    b. No muscle soreness=less water retention. There are some weeks where I train legs on Monday and I'm freakin sore until Friday. Usually Wednesday my weight spikes because that is when I'm the most sore.

I wasn't going to do any cardio today but I think I'll have another P/F meal now and hit the treadmill in about 2 or 3 hours. I got a new heart rate monitor yesterday and I love it.

Skipload tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Comment

April 28, 2013

Skiploaded yesterday and was happy that I came in below my baseline of 217.4 by almost 2 pounds with a weight of 215.6. This is the lightest I’m weighed in 15 years. Weighed in at 221.4 this morning.

Back to the gym today for chest, delts, and triceps.

During the next 6-8 weeks I’m bringing in SOME exercises that I have not done in a while OR exercises I’ve never done before with the idea that they will spark some new muscle growth. When I was DC training I think I held onto exercises for too long. Some might say that it was ok because I really did squeeze every pound and rep out of every exercise before I would swap it out. I’m still focusing on making strength gains and beating the log book. However, I’m not going to panic if I don’t make gains on every single exercise every single workout. Some workouts, I might just pick a weight and do it for three straight sets or I may go with a 12, 10, 6 rep scheme, or start heavy and go lighter. Volume will be slightly higher than I’m used to as well. I’ll adjust volume or frequency as I go according to my recovery.

Incline Dumbbell Presses
                      -DB pressing was never a strong exercise for me. I’m guessing that being tall with long arms never helped. Even when I was flat benching 315 for reps, pressing the 100 pound dbs for 6 or 8 reps was tough. I added them back in about a month ago. So far I’ve noticed that my chest is handling them ok. It’s my crappy left shoulder that gives out first. Also my forearms are not used dumbbell work. It is going to be slow and steady but I’m focused on turning this weakness into a strength.

TT: 90x8, 80x10, 70x11 (straight sets)
                      Very slow and controlled reps but not very impressive weights.

Standing Military Press
                      -I messed with these a few weeks ago and I really liked the way my shoulders felt. I’ve been training off and on since I was 14 years old and I can NEVER remember them being a part of my routine. I’m going to give them a shot and see how they work out.

TT: 95x15, 115x7 (straight sets)
                      I have nowhere to go but up with these. I’m expecting these to help with overall upper body size as I improve and use heavier weights.

Machine Lateral Raise
                      -Nice finisher for delts. Love this machine. Delts were fried afterwards.
                      TT: 40x18, 50x12 (straight sets)

Freemotion Cable Flys
                      -Finished off chest with slow stretch and squeezing reps
                      TT: 45x15, 50x12, 30x15 (straight sets)

Skip Extensions:
                      -Did them a while ago. Progress stopped, took them out for a few months, and just added them back in recently. I’m already beating rep numbers from previous blasts. This exercise is being rest paused for now.
                      TT: 85x 12, 6, 4 (RP 85x22)

^ Bar Pushdowns:
                      Triceps finishing exercise. I have not done these in years
                      TT: 50x26

Cardio: Incline Treadmill with a heart rate of 130+ for 25 minutes

This entry is quite lengthy but I like to explain why I’m doing what I’m doing for future reference. It is interesting to go back and look at your journals months and even years later.

Feedback welcome!
                      Last edited by dice77; 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Congrats on being 215

I found that when I was pushing the heavier DB, it was the hardest getting it into position for me, and I would always get someone to help me out. (I workout alone generally). After I had someone help, it always seemed a bit better.

I think you'll be upping your mil press pretty soon, and pretty quickly. I always found it sucked to start out on, but increases pretty nicely.
                        Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
                        BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

You suck, get to work. That's my ball busting. Keep heading towards those goals, persistence pays off

Comment

Originally posted by Glyder View Post
                            Congrats on being 215

I found that when I was pushing the heavier DB, it was the hardest getting it into position for me, and I would always get someone to help me out. (I workout alone generally). After I had someone help, it always seemed a bit better.

I think you'll be upping your mil press pretty soon, and pretty quickly. I always found it sucked to start out on, but increases pretty nicely.
                            Thanks! I like the way Skip set my diet up so that losing the fat doesn't stop me from getting stronger.

Getting the DBs into position does take a little out of me but using my knees to kickem back is working well. I'm going to progress slowly with the weight increases so hopefully getting out of the hole won't be an issue. I hate asking people for help. Dumbasses everywhere:-)

I'm excited about the standinp MPs. I think they will trigger some growth.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                              You suck, get to work. That's my ball busting. Keep heading towards those goals, persistence pays off
                              LOL....thanks........I think :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X