Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Bulking if I'm Already Fat? RB 2013 Journal

Question for the ages.

I haven't really done jack shit in terms of diet or training since mid-November. Life bit me in the fat ass, I had to regroup myself and the family, and now I think things are calm enough to resume training.

Last year I dropped weight working with Skip, and this year I plan to use the same diet that he set up for me initially. I might add some healthy fats to get cals up a bit, but I'll roll with it largely unchanged.

My goal right now is to get my strength back to my 2012 numbers ASAP, and get conditioning back on track as well. I'm going for gaining strength, mass if necessary, while trying to keep fat from increasing.

My plan-5/3/1 with either Triumvirate or Periodization Bible for assistance. I ordered a Prowler and acquired some big ass implement tires and will use those for conditioning work. I've put a couple eye bolts in one of the tires for rope and harness attachment to mix it up further. I probably won't do much "cardio" per se, most likely just warm up and cool down type stuff, and to loosen up on off days.

Here we go.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

1/21/13

OHP
    155x3
    165x3
    185x9

The one thing that stays pretty consistent for me is shoulder strength. Everything else may go to hell, but my shoulders are always solid.

BW DIPS
    BWx15/15/10/12

ONE ARM DB ROW
    100x15/15
    100+red band x 12
    The gym only has 100's, so I've got to get creative.

BW PULL-UPS
    BWx5/5/5
    Yeah. WTFE.

Comment

1/22/13
      Tire flips
      2x50 yds

Tire drag
      1x50 yds

Tire push
      1x50 yds

May not seem like much, but it was fucking ROUGH.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
        1/21/13

OHP
        155x3
        165x3
        185x9

The one thing that stays pretty consistent for me is shoulder strength. Everything else may go to hell, but my shoulders are always solid.

BW DIPS
        BWx15/15/10/12

ONE ARM DB ROW
        100x15/15
        100+red band x 12
        The gym only has 100's, so I've got to get creative.

BW PULL-UPS
        BWx5/5/5
        Yeah. WTFE.

I am jealous of your Press. My pressing sucks balls. (bench or Overhead)

Comment

You can laugh at my squat & dead. Pathetic for a dude my size.

Comment

I cant even real pullup n e moar
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Ps hows your back treating ya?
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM
              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                Ps hows your back treating ya?
                Well...it's alright for the time being. I had a 2nd round of facet injections, started taking Cymbalta, and visit the chiro more frequently than I'd like.

I've coupled that with daily core and/or mobility work as well as stretching of my hips and hamstrings. Not sure which is working more effectively (kind of a chicken/egg scenario) but a combination of medical treatment and daily attention on my end has me up and about.

Comment

1/23/12

SUMO DEADS
                  285x3
                  325x3
                  365x7
                  I didn't leave any in the tank, but I did fully reset between reps. Dave Tate has convinced me this is the way, the truth and the light.

GHR
                  BWx15
                  +25x12/12/12

LEG PRESS
                  I didn't even count, so I'll say like 11ty billion pounds x 15/15/15

FRONT SQUAT
                  185x20
                  Yep, I'm a pussy.

Comment

1/25/13

BEEEENCH PRRRREEESSSS
                    205x3
                    235x3
                    265x10
                    May have to reset the max on this after the deload. I just stopped at 10 because fuck it, that's why.

BW PULL UPS
                    FATASSx6x4

DB CURLS (I just felt like it, work with me)
                    50x10x4

CGBP
                    185x20x2
                    On FYAH. I honestly hate training arms. I might be the only dude in the world, but I detest it like sickness.

Done.

Comment

I skipped squats this week because I'm a poo-say. Wife and I took a quick & dirty trip to Denver for her birthday to eat at her 2 favorite restaurants, so diet hasn't been clean for a couple days.

I'm sure there's some protocol that calls for a 2 day, mid week Skipload. So I followed THAT.

Also anxiously awaiting my Prowler, but it's like a 4 week lead time so I should temper my enthusiasm.

Comment

Nice work man. Strong pressing and deadn. You'll get back to where you wanna be pretty fast keep this up!
                        Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
                        BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Originally posted by Glyder View Post
                          Nice work man. Strong pressing and deadn. You'll get back to where you wanna be pretty fast keep this up!
                          Thank ya! I'm hoping so.

Today, nothing. I feel freakin terrible. I went to work from 0600-1600 and couldn't hang on any longer. I'm hoping to get this chest/airway crap subdued by Monday. :rain:

Comment

Hey angry comforter

I am starting 5/3/1 for PL'ers, any insights you can share AND do you find Sumos easier on your lower back?
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                              Hey angry comforter

I am starting 5/3/1 for PL'ers, any insights you can share AND do you find Sumos easier on your lower back?
                              Sumos-I have had (and continue to deal with) a LITANY of lower back issues. Doing deads sumo style does not aggravate my injuries in any way, at all. Additionally, as a long-torso short-armed guy I find the mechanics of the sumo to be much better geared to my frame.

As far as 5/3/1, I've found that it works for me most effectively the more closely I follow Wendler's advice in all aspects. Of course we will follow the training program, but I've realized the best results when I started incorporating prowler and hard conditioning work. It may not be for everyone (or their goals), but I've certainly seen the benefits in the way I train. Also-mobility work has been so key for me as well.

All of that may be common knowledge for an advanced lifter/competitor such as yourself, but it continues to be a revelation for me. I hope some of my ramblings made sense.
                              RageBlanket
                              Raw SHW 1526 Total
                              Last edited by RageBlanket; 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X