PTAaron's 2013 Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTAaron's 2013 Training Log

Been a while... I'm back to training hard and I've got my diet back on 100%, so I thought I would start a training log over here again!

I had 2 big injuries in April of 2012 that sidelined a lot of my plans, made me miss a lot of workouts, and generally screwed with my mind. Right now I'm still working through the back injury - but I'm almost able to push it fully (probably 80%), the other problem (groin injury) is finally healed!

Anyway - some of you know me, some don't... so a quick intro: I've been working out since around 1992 and started out as a skinny long distance runner weighing in at a whopping 135-140lbs and 6'-6'1" tall. I've done a lot of different training programs, but back in 2005 I hooked up with In-Human and he showed me the DC Training ropes - and I've stuck with that since then except for a few breaks for surgeries and injuries.

Anyway - right now I'm following the 3 way "advanced" split... not because I'm too strong for the 2 way split, but because I am getting older and the extra recovery time really helps.

Currently I am following a diet plan from Skip. I worked with him last year until February and dropped from nearly 270lbs to 239 without any strength loss. After my injuries I let my diet go for a bit and got back up to just over 250. A friend and I have a goal of getting into contest shape this year - so I am back on the diet from Skip and am working my way back to getting lean.

Anyway - I'm currently on my 3rd rotation through my workouts, so I'll start posting it up from workout 1 in case anyone is interested.

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Workout 1 - Rotation 3 - 1/4/2013

Barbell Drag Curl
    Last Time: 105lbs x 16 Rest Paused
    This Time: 105lbs x 18 Rest Paused

Dumbell Hammer Curl
    Last Time: 55lb dumbells x 18 straight set
    This Time: 60lb dumbells x 15 straight set

Nautilus XPLoad Pulldown
    Last Time: 165lbs per arm x 15 Rest Paused
    This Time: 170lbs per arm x 15 Rest Paused

Nautilus Compound Row
    Last Time: 150lbs per arm x 7; 120lbs per arm x 13
    This Time: 155lbs per arm x 8; 125lbs per arm x 13

=======================

Workout 2 - Rotation 3 - 1/7/2013

Dumbell Low Incline Bench Press
    Last Time: 100lb dumbells x 9 Rest Paused - failed after 2 parts of the RP
    This Time: 100lb dumbells x 15 Rest paused

WTF Pullover
    Last Time: failed to get any reps - then stopped the workout
    This Time: 80lbs +bar x 16 Rest Paused

Nautilus XPLoad Shoulder Press
    Last Time: ....
    This Time: 105lbs per arm x 14 Rest paused

Abs
    Hammer Strength Crunch 95lbs x 22 Rest Paused

NOTES
    Good workout Friday, and good workout today! Last time I did workout 2 I had some issues and it was really pretty bad. This time around everything seemed great, and I beat my numbers from 12/4/12 when I did "rotation 1" of it - so everything was good.
    Unfortunately the resolutioners seems to all show up today! Last week was pretty good, so I thought maybe there wasn't going to be as big of an infestation - guess I was wrong.

Comment

Workout 3 - Rotation 1 - 1/8/13
      This one got missed the first 2 times through for various reasons.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ADE1FFE25E.jpg

Powersquat Machine Calf Raises
      410lbs x 11 DC Style

Stiff Leg Deadlift
      225x6->235x6->245x4

Leg Press
      810lbs x 8 - slow negatives

Widowmaker on Leg Press
      Last leg workout: 450+sled x 60 Rest Paused
      This Time: 470+sled x 60 Rest Paused

NOTES
      Got a pretty good workout in

============================

Cardio Day 1/9/13
      Stepmill x 45 minutes

============================

Workout 4 - Rotation 3 - 1/10/2013

Seated Dumbell Curl
      Last Time: 60lb dumbells x 16 Rest Paused
      This Time: 60lb dumbells x 17 Rest Paused

Rope Hammer Curls
      Last Time: 72.5lbs x 14 straight set
      This Time: 80lbs x 13 straight set

Parallel Grip Pulldown
      Last Time: 17 plates x 16 Rest Paused
      This Time: 17 plates x 17 Rest Paused

Precor Supported Row
      Last Time: 170lbs x12; 200lbs x5
      This Time: 170lbs x13, 200lbs x4
      *Will be replacing this next time

Back Extension Machine
      170lbs 3x15

Cardio
      Stepmill x10 minutes

NOTES
      Good workout. Talked a little bit with one of the trainers today that does an Olympic Lifting class... gave him a half-assed explanation of DC Training because my brain was fried at the time, I think it mostly made sense though.
      Not much else to say...

Comment

Workout 5 - Rotation 3 - 1/11/13

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...D0A9BDA516.jpg

Barbell Decline Bench Press
        Last Time: 285lbs x 15 Rest Paused
        This Time: 295lbs x 14 Rest Paused

Hammer Strength Tricep Extension Machine
        Last Time: 75lbs per arm x 19 Rest Paused
        This Time: 80lbs per arm x 18 Rest Paused

Powersquat Machine Shoulder Press
        Last Time: 500lbs x 17 Rest Paused
        This Time: 520lbs x 17 Rest Paused

NOTES
        Pretty good workout today. Not much more to add.

Comment

Couple of notes...
          1) I am mostly shooting for higher rep ranges on everything. I've found that going for the 11-15 range just doesn't work for me anymore, not like it did 5 years ago!
          2) I tend to do my Chest/Shoulder/Tricep workout in a different order with Triceps second. This was something suggested by IH when we worked together because I was having trouble with my shoulders burning out too fast the other way.
          3) SLDL, Rack Deads, and Squats are going to be fairly unimpressive in their weights because I am trying not to reinjure the lower back.
          4) I have added back extension machine in on the back days that don't have Rack Deadlifts as a part of my back rehab.
          5) I am doing the "Dusty Hanshaw Widowmaker" plan on all leg days - just because I love the challenge.

Comment

Welcoe back friend

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
            [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
            Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Thank man!

Comment

Start of Skiploading day today - bodyweight is 248.5, down 3 pounds from last week. On track for my goal of sub-240lbs by 2nd week in February.

Of note - I did 45 minutes of Stepmill yesterday along with abs, and I am on my way to do another 45 minutes of stepmill this morning.

Comment

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/guqu3y5e.jpg
                  Beautiful start to Skiploading day...

Comment

Good to see you back on here my man. Impressive hammers and declines. So contest shape this year, what weight are you going to try and get to?

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                      Good to see you back on here my man. Impressive hammers and declines. So contest shape this year, what weight are you going to try and get to?
                      Thanks man! Glad to be back. I've got a couple of exercises that I'm happy with - the rest of them even though I worked hard to get to those numbers, don't look too impressive
                      I'm taking it slow... I don't have a goal weight right now, but I think 220 is reasonable. That is pretty unfortunate though because being 6'1" - 220lbs isn't very impressive, but on a guy that is 5'8" it is gonna look huge!

A friend and I made a deal - probably 11 years ago - that we were going to do a contest together... I finally told him "this is going to have to be the year!" Right now we both set the goal of getting down to 10% BF, then we are going to take it from there. He started back when we were supposed to - and he's already at 10% and bitching that his 31" waist just isn't small enough. Bastard. I'm shooting for a bodyweight below 240 by the first week in February - then I have a few days in Jamaica where my diet will be "off" - then I'd like to be 230 by the start of March. I'm estimating I will be 10% BF at 230lbs if I stick to the plan carefully and lose mostly bodyfat as I did when previously working with Skip.

From there we are going to look for a contest - and I will hopefully have saved up some money to have Skip get me into contest shape then.

Comment

Workout 6 - Rotation 2 - 1/14/13
                        Skipped this one last time around because my car died. The "Last Time" numbers are from 12/13/12 - just over a month ago.

Cybex Rotary Calf Machine
                        Last Time: 230lbs x 11 DC Style
                        This Time: 235lbs x 12 DC Style

Sumo Leg Press
                        Last Time: 630lbs x 12 straight set
                        This Time: 680lbs x 15 straight set

Hack Squat - as deep as possible without my back coming off the pad
                        Last Time: 410lbs x 9 straight set
                        This Time: 430lbs x 10

Widowmaker on Leg Press
                        Last leg workout: 470lbs x 60 Rest Paused
                        This Time: 490lbs x 61 Rest Paused

Adductor Machine
                        185lbs x 39 Rest Paused

NOTES
                        Pretty happy with this workout - made good progress even though I hadn't done the workout in a month. Legs already hurt and it has only been 5 hours...

Comment

Damn, would be nice to walk around at 10% and 31' waist lol. I feel you on 6'1 220, in 6' and a fluffy 235 and I look pretty average. The greatest thing about weightlifting and bodybuilding is that we can always improve. If your first show you weigh in at say 200 you would be established a baseline to improve on. You'll also probably be the leanest in your life (I've never seen and on myself lol) and veins/six packs are pretty cool.

I want to see how everything turns out, you have a good plan and pretty good calendar set. I heard this from a friend. If you really want to do a show sign up for it ASAP, obce you've registered and paid its official. No more dicking around and you'll feel accountable.

Comment

Yeah... I was at 6% and a whopping 185lbs at one point - veins everywhere, cross striations on my quads and triceps, Christmas tree lower back... Just not very big - it was great because I was in PT school at the time and they always used me as the demo to show where different muscle groups were! LOL! I'm hoping for a 40lb heavier version of that this time around.

I've heard that about finally picking the date - we really need to do it...

Comment

Hey Aaron, glad to see you are back at it!

I'm also doing a 3-way split right now (under homon's coaching) and always like to see how other's have their programs laid out.

I noticed you are using some of those nautilux xpload machines. My gym also has these and I am using a few of them in my current blast. That lat pulldown really kills the lats, right?
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X