Muscle Demon's DC Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Demon's DC Log

Hello, I am Steven and I am from London, England.

I joined this forum to post my DC training journal. As most of the members here I suspect are avid DC followers I thought it's the best place to receive advice, constructive criticism and support from people with a similiar passion for weightlifting.

Apologies in advance as the weights used will be largely documented in kilograms.

I have a history in powerlifting and have been competitive in the 52 & 56kg junior classes earning national & international titles. The last few years I have been using a typical split muscle group routine. I have been reading the principles regarding DC training and I am intrigued. The dictated concepts of the programme are logical and I believe it would be inducive towards muscular hypertrophy given the correct commitment and work ethic.

My goal is to add size and thickness to my physique. I am 27 years old and my bodyweight is 60.9kg / 134.2lbs / 9.59 stone. My height is 5'4" / 163cm.

Feel free to post and guide me in the right direction.

I will begin by posting some pictures taken a few hours ago. I intend to post new pictures every 1-3 months in order to monitor my progress.

In the first two weeks of this routine I will attempt to understand this routine and adjust to it.
    Last edited by Muscle Demon; 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM.

Pictures taken on the 29/12/2012. My morning dry bodyweight was 60.9kg / 134.2lbs.

Critiqueing myself I would state that I need to develop my hamstrings and calves especially. Triceps are lagging. Quad sweep needs to be induced. The abdominal muscle wall needs to be thickened.
    I aim to increase calories and I intend to add progress (or lack of) pictures in 1-3 months time.

Pictures are as follows; 1. Front relaxed. 2. Back relaxed, 3. Most Muscular. 4. Back Double Biceps.

I will be taking the next batch of pictures with a camera and not just on my mobile. The lighting and positioning must be the same.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Muscle Demon; 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Saturday 29/12/2012

Week 1 A

Chest
      High Incline Smith Press (bar weight excluded):
      Working set - 60kg x8, x5, x4 (17 reps total).
      Static hold - 60kg.
      Stretch

Shoulders
      Standing Barbell Press:
      Working set - 40kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
      Static hold - 40kg.
      Stretch

Triceps
      RGBP:
      Working set - 40kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
      Static hold - 40kg

Back width
      Close grip Lat Pulldowns:
      Working set - 120lbs x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
      Static hold - 120lbs.

Back thickness
      Barbell Rows:
      Working set - 60kg x8, x5, x5 (18 reps total).
      Stretch

I really enjoyed my first session of DC training, although I found the rest pause technique challenging. Perhaps I did not grasp the vision of the programme exactly yet I believe I understood the core concepts. The extreme stretch was... just that, extreme! The flat dumbbell flye stretch with heavier weight than I would normally utilise for this exercise was intense and I felt a deep stretch riveting along the fibres.

I found RGBP awkward as it was my first attempt at these. Some wrist discomfort.

I have two preliminary questions:
      1) Should you incorporate the rest pause technique for the triceps?
      2) Should you static hold for the triceps?
      Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

You can use rest pause for some exercises like RGBP and CGBP while straight setting others like skullcrushers.

I would think it would be difficult to incorporate a static hold for triceps.

As far as your first day, your exercise selection was good but back thickness exercises are usually straight sets, say a set of 6-8 and then a lighter set for 8-12 for example (or you could do the lighter set first). Looking at the reps on your rest pause sets, I wonder if you are resting too long between sets as on most exercises you got more reps than I would expect on your second try and similar numbers on your third. By taking 15 deep breaths between trys, I usually get about half of my first try and then about half of my second try.

Good luck to you on your DC journey!

Comment

Also, you may find RGBP and CGBP safer and more comfortable in the Smith machine.

Comment

Originally posted by O.G. Pimpin View Post
            You can use rest pause for some exercises like RGBP and CGBP while straight setting others like skullcrushers.

I would think it would be difficult to incorporate a static hold for triceps.

As far as your first day, your exercise selection was good but back thickness exercises are usually straight sets, say a set of 6-8 and then a lighter set for 8-12 for example (or you could do the lighter set first). Looking at the reps on your rest pause sets, I wonder if you are resting too long between sets as on most exercises you got more reps than I would expect on your second try and similar numbers on your third. By taking 15 deep breaths between trys, I usually get about half of my first try and then about half of my second try.

Good luck to you on your DC journey!
            I plan to read more in-depth regarding how to follow the rep & set scheme for back thickness and quads.
            I took 12-15 deep breaths between the interims of the rest-pause sets. The reason I managed a high amount of reps is because I don't think I went quite heavy enough for my working set. I wanted to start lower to be prudent that I would manage to do the rest-pause set.
            Am I right in stating that for the rest-pause sets one should aim for total of a minimum of 12 reps and a maximum of 20 reps?

Why do you think it could be difficult to include a static hold for triceps?

RGBP and CGBP may be more comfortable in the smith machine, however I don't want to overuse that machine and become reliant on it as I would prefer to keep in the habit of balancing the weights. I will keep it in mind though.
            Thanks for your advice Pimpin.
            Last edited by Muscle Demon; 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Welcome and good luck with the log !!
              "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
              2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
              2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
              2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
              2002 NPC Western Carolina:
              2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

[QUOTE=Muscle Demon;

I will be taking the next batch of pictures with a camera and not just on my mobile. The lighting and positioning must be the same.[/QUOTE]

You're looking good to start, sounds like you have a plan and you talk like you are going to stay with it.

You take care, push a lot of iron, do it right so you don't get hurt and you will be OK.

Happy New Year
                Burr,
                I lift, Cycle, Yoga & Pilates
                Orchids & Honey Do's
                Remember your Grippers

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, I plan to stick with it.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Comment

Monday 31/12/2012

Week 1 B

Biceps
                    Standing Barbell Curls:
                    Working set - 27.5kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
                    Slow negative with brief hold - 27.5kg.

Forearms
                    Reverse EZ bar Curls: (Bar weight excluded)
                    Working set - 17.5kg x8, x5, x4 (17 reps total).
                    Slow negatives - 17.5kg x3.

Calves
                    Seated Raises
                    Working sets - 35kg x8, 20kg x13.
                    Brief hold with slow negative - 50kg

Hamstrings
                    Barbell SLDL (from deficit):
                    Working set - 55kg x8, x6, x5 (19 reps total).
                    Stretch at home after.

Quads
                    45° Leg Press (upper narrow stance)
                    125kg x10
                    Stretch at home after.

I simply could not hold the bar statically on my forearm exercse so I resorted to performing x3 negatives as slow as I was able.

I was experimenting with calf training. The negative was slow with a stretch at the bottom of each rep.
                    I wanted 20kg x20 following however I find the pain in the arch of my foot was too great. Finished with a brief hold at the top and a slow negative with 50kg.
                    Even though I wasn't entirely sure which rep range to follow for calf training I found that my calves were shaking uncontrollably after upon standing.

I was slightly irritated to discover that my gym decided to close early today, when strictly they shouldn't. Therefore, I only had time to consider my foot placement and blast out one warm-up set for quads. New years eve is not even a bank holiday here! Nothing I could do about it and i'll look towards making the next quad exercise a success.
                    Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Wednesday 2/01/2013

Morning dry bodyweight: 60.2kg / 132.7lbs -0.7kg / 1.54lbs

Week 1 A

Chest
                      Flat Barbell Press:
                      Working set - 80kg x8, x3, x1 (12 reps total).
                      Static hold - 80kg.
                      Stretch

Shoulders
                      Seated Hammer Press:
                      Working set - 60kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
                      Static hold - 60kg.

Triceps
                      Barbell CGBP
                      Working set - 50kg x8, x6, x6. (20 reps total).
                      Static hold - 50kg

Back width
                      Wide grip Lat Pulldowns:
                      Working set - 132.5lbs x8, x5, x5 (18 reps total).

Back thickness
                      Deadlifts
                      Working sets - 130kg x6. 100kg x10.
                      Stretch.

Bodyweight is down due to a lack of routine following partying during the holiday season. Low on fluids and depleted.
                      I expect a relatively great increase in bodyweight on my next weigh-in which is in four days time.

I found this work-out very challenging today. Dissapointed with my deadlifting I normally manage more, although now they are placed at the end of the session. I expected more from flat barbell pressing as well, it was unusually taxing.
                      Time to replenish my reserves and take charge again.
                      Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscle Demon View Post
                        Wednesday 2/01/2013

Morning dry bodyweight: 60.2kg / 132.7lbs -0.7kg / 1.54lbs

Week 1 A

Chest
                        Flat Barbell Press:
                        Working set - 80kg x8, x3, x1 (12 reps total).
                        Static hold - 80kg.
                        Stretch

Shoulders
                        Seated Hammer Press:
                        Working set - 60kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
                        Static hold - 60kg.

Triceps
                        Barbell CGBP
                        Working set - 50kg x8, x6, x6. (20 reps total).
                        Static hold - 50kg

Back width
                        Wide grip Lat Pulldowns:
                        Working set - 132.5lbs x8, x5, x5 (18 reps total).

Back thickness
                        Deadlifts
                        Working sets - 130kg x6. 100kg x10.
                        Stretch.

Bodyweight is down due to a lack of routine following partying during the holiday season. Low on fluids and depleted.
                        I expect a relatively great increase in bodyweight on my next weigh-in which is in four days time.

I found this work-out very challenging today. Dissapointed with my deadlifting I normally manage more, although now they are placed at the end of the session. I expected more from flat barbell pressing as well, it was unusually taxing.
                        Time to replenish my reserves and take charge again.
                        You're reps on BB press are more typical of DC. If you're going balls to the wall you shouldn't be getting the same reps with your second and third sets of the rest pause.
                        You're exercises could probably use a little tweaking as well. Flat BB press is a huge nono and thereby be others.
                        If you paste your basic template as a thread on the main forum (pound puppy or doggpound section) you can get some critique on the rep ranges, when you static hold, straight sets and all the other nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                          You're reps on BB press are more typical of DC. If you're going balls to the wall you shouldn't be getting the same reps with your second and third sets of the rest pause.
                          You're exercises could probably use a little tweaking as well. Flat BB press is a huge nono and thereby be others.
                          If you paste your basic template as a thread on the main forum (pound puppy or doggpound section) you can get some critique on the rep ranges, when you static hold, straight sets and all the other nuances.
                          Thank you for the advice Ross. The reason I managed a high amount of reps for a lot of exercises is because I wanted to start lower in the beginning to be prudent. I am using the first two weeks to judge my rest-pause ability and understand the nature of the routine. I am looking forward to week three when the weights can go up and make it more of a challenge.
                          This evening I will post my basic template I have formulated in the forum for further critique, that's a great idea.

Could you tell me why the flat barbell press is disregarded for this routine?
                          Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Friday 4/01/2013

Week 2 B

Biceps
                            Seated close grip E-Z bar Preacher Curls (bar weight excluded):
                            Working set - 22.5kg x8, x4, x3 (15 reps total).
                            Brief hold with slow negative - 22.5kg x2.

Forearms
                            Barbell Wrist Curls:
                            Working set - 27.5kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
                            Static hold - 27.5kg
                            Bicep/forearm stretch

Calves
                            Standing Smith Raises on Platform (bar weight excluded):
                            Working sets - 80kg x8, 90kg x7, 60kg x10.
                            Brief hold with slow negative - 110kg x2.

Hamstrings
                            45° Sumo Press
                            Working set - 150kg x8, x6, x6 (20 reps total).
                            Stretch - SLDL (from deficit) 30kg

Quads
                            Box Back Squats
                            Working set - 130kg x6. ATG Back squats - 90kg x12.
                            Stretch

Experimenting with calf training. Pain begins to pervade in the arch of my feet with ongoing calf exercise.
                            First time I have carried out the sumo press. I enjoyed these immensely and it did indeed target my hamstrings sufficiently. Held a SLDL at the bottom with a barbell afterwards for a pleasant stretch.
                            Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Just read your thread, looks like yours will be one that they decide to not help thoroughly. No worries though, you an search suitable DC exercises but I don't think that's really your problem. Thing will be to look at overlap. I'll go on my computer in a little bit and critique any glaring issues I see, the thing I said about the rep ranges were regarding getting say 10 reps than failure, after 15 breaths 3-5 would be good, after another fifteen breaths 3 would be the most you should get. If you're reps aren't tapering down that means one of two things. You didn't reach failure or you are resting too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X