Road to a 2000+ raw total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to a 2000+ raw total

Hey! I'm back after a long layoff from posting. For anyone who's new or doesn't remember me, I'm a 20 year old college kid and a powerlifter. This past Saturday I set the drug-free, completely raw all-time world record total in the 220 class.

Squat 650

Bench 419

Deadlift 645

Total 1714.

The next goal is either to drop to 198 and make a run at David Ricks's 1818, or move up to 242 and take a crack at 2000.

I'm not sure what else anyone would like to know, so if you're curious feel free to ask me anything. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can, so comments, advice, and questions are very much appreciated.

Meet report with videos: http://gregnuckols.wordpress.c...

Very nice total.
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

high bar squats (first rep paused)
        135x2
        225x2
        275x2
        315x2
        365x2
        405x2
        455x2
        495x2 (PR single is 525. definitely had a little more in the tank)

bench (pause the first one, TnG the second)
        135x2
        225x2
        275x2
        315x2
        365x2
        405x2

sprints (mainly working on form for me and Lyndsey, but definitely hard work too)
        3 100 yarders
        1 200 yarder

Overall it was a good day. Weights still feel heavy, but they're moving well again. My CNS is finally starting to recover from the meet and the trip I think.

Comment

Damn that's a heavy fuckin squat.

Comment

Thanks dude. My squat has come up a lot more than I expected recently.

I just noticed your signature. I loled a bit.

Comment

Training from today, plus a story and my thoughts on gun control: http://gregnuckols.wordpress.com/201...t-gun-control/

Comment

IMO the way your friend used his weapon is the way private use is intended to be used. I would've done the same thing. Hell, I'm looking at getting a Ruger .22 just for when I'm walking my dog lol.

I'm pretty liberal, but I am very far right when it comes to semi-automatic gun legislation. I don't quite understand the need for automatic/assault weapons for civilian use, but I am all for handguns/shotguns being available to the public as long as there are reasonable hoops they have to jump through.

Comment

But the point remains: what if the other guy had also been armed? I don't think a standoff and possible shooting is worth it over a traffic incident where no one even got hit.

I believe everyone should have the right to defend themselves, but the main point I was trying to make is that the fringes on both sides of the issue are stupid in my opinion. I see the point in letting people arm themselves as a safeguard against bad people, but I find it hard to see any possibility how anyone could end up dead because of a minor traffic incident if there weren't weapons involved. Ya know?

Comment

Snatch/klokov press
                    45x3/3
                    95x3/3
                    115x3/3
                    135x3/3
                    145x3/3
                    155x3/1
                    165x1/1
                    175x1/1
                    185x1/miss

DB triceps extensions/seated DB curl
                    30 3x10/10
                    SS
                    Good morning (mostly to stretch my hamstrings)
                    95 3x10

sprints
                    200x3

Good day today. My PR on Klokov press was 135 not long ago, so I'm pretty thrilled with 175 today. Without all the snatches prior, I may have been able to grind out 185, but I was fairly fatigued when I got to it. Everything else was just to work on some weaknesses and loosen up a bit. Running felt better today. As I do more of it, my hips are really loosening up and I feel my stride length and top-end speed coming back (I ran a 4.7 in high school. Not blazing, but I was fairly fast for a large white kid). Lyndsey and I are tentatively kicking around the idea of trying out for the US bobsled team, so I want to get my speed back just in case we decide to go through with it. Plus, running fast and feeling athletic are just a good feelings.

Comment

Clean and strict press
                      135x1/3
                      155x1/3
                      175x1/3
                      185x1/3
                      205x1/1 (PR strict press)

Paused low bar squat
                      up to 495x5 (3 second pauses, not particularly straining. Felt good for 8ish)

Wrapped it up there. Lyndsey had to get back for a dinner with her staff. Volume is still a little low, but strength has come back.

Comment

high bar paused squat
                        up to 535 (10 pound PR)

strict press
                        up to 185x3

3 sets of 8 strict pullups. 3 second dead hang at the bottom of each.

ran two 200s

Two new people training with us today, so I didn't get it as much as I would have liked. They both took to squatting pretty well though, so I think they should end up beasts.

Comment

No real training today, but a new blog post. I feel like it's an important aspect of training that most people get wrong: http://gregnuckols.wordpress.com/201...sh-in-the-gym/

Comment

Originally posted by gnuckols View Post
                            But the point remains: what if the other guy had also been armed? I don't think a standoff and possible shooting is worth it over a traffic incident where no one even got hit.

I believe everyone should have the right to defend themselves, but the main point I was trying to make is that the fringes on both sides of the issue are stupid in my opinion. I see the point in letting people arm themselves as a safeguard against bad people, but I find it hard to see any possibility how anyone could end up dead because of a minor traffic incident if there weren't weapons involved. Ya know?
                            If the other guy had also been armed, I doubt shit would have gone all OK Corral right away. I think both would have understood that starting at shootout over something so petty would be pretty MAD (if you get the reference). If I drew and the other guy draws, but our weapons aren't aimed and trigger discipline is maintained, I think both would have just GTFO of there. That's IMO, and shit def coulda happened if more than one gun was involved.

Now, if your friend hadn't been armed, it's not too ridiculous to say that a fistfight would have occurred. If your friend is smaller than the other dude, he could be injured pretty fucking badly. What he did was sensible IMO if he didn't point it at the guy.

By having the weapon, your friend avoided that and things ended just fine (cops and all).

IMO, once the guy followed the dude to your friend's home---that's a threatening action. When I was first starting out driving I remember pulling a real dumbass move and pulling out right in front of someone. Dude tried to follow me home before I lost him. If I had stopped, I'm pretty sure he woulda kicked my ass. I would've done the same thing in your friend's shoes. Draw your weapon, let the dude see it, and tell him to get the fuck out of there. After, call the cops and report the incident yourself so you can get your story on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by gnuckols View Post
                              No real training today, but a new blog post. I feel like it's an important aspect of training that most people get wrong: http://gregnuckols.wordpress.com/201...sh-in-the-gym/
                              Agree pretty heavily with this in terms of training for strength. I've always trained relatively lower volume and when strength gains dipped, I'd usually just train with more volume for a bit and stuff would get moving right away. Volume is a bit higher now and I've enjoyed it so far.

One caveat I'd possibly make though is if one is training for size (and that doesn't look like it's the point of your blog). Some muscles seem to respond better to a bit higher volume and a bit more variety in exercises. Thinking of biceps and triceps mostly.

Comment

Working...
                              X