Time & Patience + Consistency: A Necessity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time & Patience + Consistency: A Necessity

It's time I got started over on this site. I've been here long enough soaking up info.

I've always believed that Time & Patience are necessary in training, but consistency has been my biggest issue.

Here's some broad background...

I am 28 and have been training for 14 years. I have done BBing and PLing contests by competing in PLing contests as a teen, and got into BBing (my true interest) in my mid-20's. I graduated in 2011 with my teaching degree, but took a lot of time off after graduation to work 2 jobs and get situated with my family.

My biggest issue is staying consistent. I am good for having a period of months where I am not working out, or am half-heartedly doing things. The last time I was focused I was able to get my BW up to an all time high of 195 and compete in my 1st show after a few blasts of DC training. I continued to use DC training after the 2010 contest and got up to a BW of 205 and competed again in 2011. I hope to become just as consistent while applying a lot of the principles I've learned as well as use my past experience to get better over these next few years.

I just started things back up and with my training in late 2011. I plan on competing in 2 contests in the spring of 2013:

The Natural Buckeye Classic in Columbus, OH which is in mid-April

The INBF Dayton Tri-State in Mid-May

My 1st contest ever was the 2010 NPC Northern Kentucky. My 2nd contest was the 2011 Dayton Tri-State. I placed 3rd @ both shows and was pleased with both placings. I weighed 171 and 178, respectively, at each contest. I hope to step on stage in 2013 at a BW @ or above 180.

My ultimate goal with BBing is to win my weightclass against a respectable group of competitors, and be able to be apart of the overall posedown. I would love to step on stage at a BW over 190 with very solid conditioning; I believe that would allow me to be competitive and get close to my utlimate goal.

I'll be posting my workouts, some week-to-week items and keep progress updated with progress pics when needed.

Stay along and post whenever you feel you want to.
    Last edited by Time&Patience; 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM.
    2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
    2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
    Plans
    2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

First.

Comment

I am currently dieting down utilizing Skiploading protocols weekly to see how it works for me. Thus far it's going very well and it's something I'll continue with during my next contest prep.

I like the skiploading as it really helps keep me "full" throughout the week. The skiploads do this for me more so than other dieting strategies I've done in the past.

I plan on dieting down for another 2 months; which should get me to approximately 180. I will then try to gain weight slowly until it's time for me to start my contest prep come January.

I started dieting down July 1st @ roughly 198 and am currently down to 189.

Here are a few pictures from late June and then a few pictures from late July.
      Attached Files
      Plans

Comment

Originally posted by ch3v3ll3 View Post
        First.
        Damn you are on it Ryan! You liking it over here more?
        Plans

Comment

I've split my routine up over 2 days. I alternate the workouts in an A1, B1, A2, B2 fashion. I also do back and legs on one day and everything else on the other day.

I like to workout every other day, always giving me 1 day of rest between workouts. I'll take more days whenever I feel I need it, or if we're going out of town.
          I haven't used this type of volume in a long time. I decided to try something different for a while, and thus far I am liking it.

Here are the last 2 workouts....

Wednesday August 8th
          Very Wide 1/2 Pullups (top 1/2)
          BWx14, 13
          Very Wide 1/2 Pullups (bottom 1/2)
          BWx10, 8
          1-Arm Rope Lat Pulldowns
          30x15
          DL
          335x8
          365x5
          Meadow Rows
          45x12
          Cable Rows (on lat pulldowns)
          90x13, 12
          DB Leg Curls
          85x17
          SLDL (no pause)
          225x10, 8
          Cybex Leg Curls (End focus)
          55x12
          Leg Press
          515x16
          545x12
          Sissy Squats
          BWx 14, 14
          Donkey Calves
          180x 27, 17, 11

*** That was a grueling workout. I'd love to add weights to my pullups, but I can't get a good feel on the progression I need for these, so time will tell. I like to split up my Pull-ups into a top 1/2 and a bottom 1/2. I can focus on each 1/2 more so.
          I'd love to continue DLing with no back issues; 405x10 would be a nice goal to hit by the end of the year.
          DB Leg curls are excellent at killing your hams. If you haven't tried them, I highly recommend them.

Friday August 10th
          DB Military
          65x12, 7
          Leaning DB Laterals
          30x16, 13
          Inc BB
          185x6, 4
          Flat DB
          75x9
          Flat DB Flies
          40x12
          Pec Deck
          60x22
          Skulls
          80x13, 12
          BB Curls
          80x 13, 12
          Overhead BB Xtension
          60x17
          Inc DB Curls
          25x16

*** This was the 1st time in a long time that I decided to start w/shoulders and not chest. I am definitely getting used to the volume and the quantity of movements in each workout.
          I love hitting the DB flies and then pec deck.
          I was tired the skulls and BB curls. My arms were screaming after by the time I finished with the incline curls.

Some impressive shit is going on with this diet. Granted I had a strong pump, but my arms were measuring just shy of 17" all while weighing just under 190. Personally, that's unheard of. My arms always shrink when I diet down, so excited to see those #'s. Arms are over 16" when cold (I measure flexed).

Things are moving along nicely.

I need to get a full night's sleep tonight. Also, need to get up early enough to put in my cardio.
          Plans

Comment

Good to see you starting back up with journalling Scott. Will be following once more .
            My Training Journal

Comment

I suck at updating. I took a week off and got back to it after a weekend vacation. I have a few workouts to log.

I'm going with a split that is as follows:
              Day 1- Push
              Day 2- Pull and Hamstrings

I take at least 1 day off between each training day. I am not doing much quad work as I've had a very tight IT band for a few months and any squatting or leg pressing has been painful.

I am currently going to a chiropractor (also taking care of a low back issue that happened during my contest prep in 2011) and getting a weekly massage. After 2 massages I have noticed a huge difference! I could definitely see myself hitting quads in a few weeks.

Wednesday Aug. 22

Supported T-Bar Rows
              135x11, 9

Strive Leg Curls (Beginning)
              90x20, 20

Meadow Rows
              55x12,12

SLDL
              275x8, 8, 8

Low Inc Curls
              25x22

EZ-Bar Curls
              80x15

**** I feel I'm able to really hammer my back with the way I'm going with this set up. I don't do a lot of vertical back movements, as I want to focus on mostly horizontal movements. I lack that thickness that makes a good back.

I also threw in some rear DB laterals and some extra rear delt work for the hell of it. I always slack on my rear delts, so I'm going to get back to hitting them up.

I'm splitting up the workouts as I'd rather have multiple workouts rather than a huge post.
              Plans

Comment

I've decided to start hitting delts before chest. I feel my chest is fine as it is, and I'd like to see if I can do more to improve my delts.

Friday Aug. 24th

DB 1/2 Laterals
                50x30
                55x20

Inc BB
                185x8, 6

Smith Upright Rows
                85x12, 12 (Loaded Weight)

Flat DB Flies
                40x14, 11

Stretch Skulls
                90x10, 8

DB Kickbacks
                20x15, 14

**** I love hitting the 1/2 DB laterals, and I'm doing them 1st to utilize being fresh. I'm also keeping the pressing movements to a minimum so I can hammer my tri's specifically. I really love the Stretch Skull movement. I'm becoming a fan of implementing movements to stretch the muscle during the movement. I haven't done kickbacks in ages, so why not give them a shot.
                Plans

Comment

Good luck with the training T&P!!
                  "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                  2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                  2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                  2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                  2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                  2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
                    Good to see you starting back up with journalling Scott. Will be following once more .
                    Still not consistent with it yet, Luna. I will be. Just getting into the groove of journaling again and filling up my "lifting and nutrition" knowledge.

This board is awesome for that. I never know where to start reading up on things.

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                    Good luck with the training T&P!!
                    Thank you. Things always go smoother for myself when I have some goals in mind. Nothing helps you like knowing you have a contest coming in 9 months.

I'm also competing my personal goal of doing better than my last 2 contests, condition and size wise. I have to put together the condition of my 1st contest with increased mass.
                    Plans

Comment

Monday Aug. 27th

BB Rows
                      225x13
                      235x12

Behind Neck Pulldowns
                      150x15, 10

Rack DL (@ top of knee)
                      405x8
                      435x6
                      455x5
                      495x3

Strive Preacher (mid)
                      45x12, 10

DB Leg Curls
                      95x15
                      100x10

Inc Curls 45 degrees
                      35x8, 8

Sissy Squats then Rev. Hack Squats
                      BWx 15, 15
                      315x10, 10

Seated Calf Raises
                      45x25
                      70x20, 20

**** I threw in some Rear delt work on the Pec-Deck machine. This is the first squatting type movement I've done in a few weeks. Not much pain in my IT bands, so that's progress.

I haven't done heavy rows in a long time, so I'm going to keep some horizontal pulling in my regimen. I'm so smoked after my workouts, as I'm resting minimally. Due to time constraints, I may have to pull a set or an exercise out from my routine every once in a while.

I'm looking forward to hitting my quads harder by the end of the year. I don't mind that it gives my hamstrings more focus. My quads are a strong suit, so better hams would just make my legs better overall.
                      Last edited by Time&Patience; 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM.
                      Plans

Comment

Friday Aug. 31st

Supported T-Bar Rows
                        135x14, 11

Meadow Rows
                        55x13, 13

Strive Leg Curls
                        (weighted @ the end)
                        95x12, 12
                        (weighted @ the beg)
                        100x16

SLDL
                        315x6, 6 *altered the ROM this week*

Low Inc. DB Curls
                        30x15, 10

*** I tossed in a set of EZ-Bar curls and a few of Rear DB Laterals. I'm not focusing on the weights for rear delts, but I'm just making sure I hit them. I'm doing the supported T-Bars to keep the low-back stress minimal; I don't want too much during a workout.

The SLDL's felt solid, but I did have an odd feel in my lower back on some reps. I ended up just doing a piston-like rep, while not standing straight up during reps. I may just continue the SLDL's this way.

When I say low-inc. curls, I'm talking about 30 degrees. I make sure it's a comfortable stretch and nothing awkward.

Sunday Sep. 2nd

DB 1/2 Laterals
                        55x27, 17

Inc BB Press
                        185x9, 7
                        Smith Upright Rows
                        85x 16, 12 (Actual loaded weight)

Skulls and Stretch
                        90x10, 10

Flat DB Flies
                        40x15, 12

DB Kickbacks
                        20x17, 13

Donkey Calves
                        (Full range, slow pace)
                        90x30
                        180x15, 15, 15
                        (1/2 reps, stretch focus)
                        270x15, 12, 12

**** I'm looking to put up some heavy weights with these DB 1/2 laterals in upcoming months. I plan on keeping them for a while to see what they can do. I'm transitioning my delt training more towards minimal pressing movements. I love the Skulls and Stretch, it's been great for my triceps with regards to keeping size while dieting down these past 2 months.

I'm playing around with my calf training. I've had trouble doing the DC-protocol calves, so I play with different methods from time-2-time. I like these 1/2's as I can focus on the stretch in a comfortable way, but I can also go heavier with them. They've been successful thus far.
                        Plans

Comment

Cardio has been on point this week. 2 days of 30 minutes completed thus far. Looking to do more on Friday. My wife is switching to days (7am-7pm) for a few weeks during training. I don't know how exactly I'm going to make this work; cardio @ 5:15 in the morning I guess? :twitch:

That doesn't sound fun.

Tuesday Sep. 4th

BB Rows
                          235x13
                          245x10

DB Leg Curls
                          85x20
                          95x13

Behind Neck Pulldowns
                          150x17, 14

Rack DL's (@ top of the knee)
                          455x8, 8

Rev. Hack Squats
                          365x10, 10

Strive Preacher Curls (Mid loaded)
                          45x13, 11

Seated Calf Raises
                          60x25
                          70x22
                          85x16
                          100x15
                          115x10

**** I threw in some Sissy Squats before the Hacks, and I tossed in a set of Inc. Curls. The Rack DL's are feeling better with each week. I hope to see some increased thickness from them. 500+ for reps is the goal by X-mas.

My quads are sore from this workout. A few sissy squats and 2 sub-max sets of Hacks! I haven't trained quads much over the past month, but I didn't think that would happen. My IT bands felt alright during the set. Hoping to just do 2 sets of squats each workout.

The bicep portion of this workout didn't seem to produce much fatigue. I usually feel my bi's working, even with 3 sets.
                          Plans

Comment

Looking good man. Nice work on the rack deads and BB rows.
                            2005 HOA Natural Classic
                            2006 OCB Midwest
                            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                            2008 HOA Natural Classic
                            NPC Mid-Illinois
                            NPC Midwest Open
                            NPC Natural Grand Prix
                            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                            USPA Illinois State
                            NGA Heart of America
                            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                              Looking good man. Nice work on the rack deads and BB rows.
                              Thanks Breck. Gotta keep pushing progress over the next couple of months.

Thursday Sep. 6th

Standing Military
                              155x8, 6

Flat DB Press
                              80x10
                              85x8

Heavy 1/2 DB Raises
                              60x10, 10

Leaning DB Raises
                              40x10, 10

Icarian Tri Xtensions
                              70x17, 12

1/2 Donkey Calf Raises
                              270x15, 15
                              320x10, 10, 10

***** I'm trying to figure out if I like the Standing Militarys. I didn't push the other delt work, but enough to be effective. I was surprised to get the 85's for that many of the Flat DB presses. My triceps were screaming during those 2 sets; extreme pump and lactic acid build up.

I finished with some BW Dips and then added some low-weight full rep Donkey Raises.

I am trying to make sure I don't slack on my calf and rear delt training over these next few months.

I am due to have my Skipload tomorrow. Looking forward to it as I have a few carbs stashed away in the house that I'm ready to indulge in.

BW hasn't dropped at all since Friday. I was @ 187 and it's stayed there for the past few days. It's been 3 weeks of me hovering around 187. It's been pretty odd, but I've been leaning out.

Here's a pic from a week ago. I plan on taking pics again in another week, maybe 2. I need to use these to see if any progress has been made as the scale isn't budging.
                              Attached Files
                              Plans

Comment

Working...
                              X