Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Sh*t or get off the Pot

Hi!

I'm 51, 6'2", skinny-fat ecto and currently around 217, been lifting off and on since I was in HS. Intensely for a few years around 20-22 then a big fat (literally) break until I decided I needed to get my act in gear in 2004.

12 years military, but crippled my hands (lost both thumbs... surgically corrected by moving my index fingers, makes my grip suck) due to a dud (yeah, right) mortar round and they gave me a permanent disability retirement.

Tried the cardio route first (ran three marathons, dropped my weight from 230 or so to 200, which popped right back after each event... lost what little muscle mass I had at the time... it sucked). Lifted during that time using the age-old Arnold 3 hr marathon system. That sucked, too, and was hard to keep up.

Floated some thereafter (5x5, Gironda stuff). Limited progress... peak weights were lame. Even after dumping the endurance cardio in 2007, 5 years of effort gave me a little more mass but nobody would look at me and think "he must lift or something."

Diagnosed with Low T just this year and am finally (argued with docs for years) am getting treated.

As a result, I feel a renewed vigor for the gym and want to get cranking and (finally) making some real progress.

Goals:

1) Enough muscle mass to peek out from under a 10-15% BF. Current BF (looking in the mirror is around 20 (I think). Obviously, cutting BF to get down to the better numbers.

2) Look good nekkid for the wife of 30 years (gotta inspire her somehow!)

3) Now that I'm in the old fart zone, finally compete after I meet the above and am ready to cut back below 10% at least a little.

Probably in that order... by sequencing if not importance.

I don't want to be a freaking underwear model (as seems popular with the kids today) and actually like the bit rounder look of the BB's of the 60's.

I can eat and love to do so... but while with Low T, it rounded me up a lot more than built mass. I hope that is different now. I've been OCD on diet before, now I'm eating fruit, modest amounts of other carbs (I found I don't do well on very low carbs) and am ramping up to 2g per lb of protein (400g a day is the goal).

Current pics (try not to laugh too much) to follow.

Max 1RM lifts at the moment: Bench 200, Squat 250, DL (trap, because of hands) 380

(Yeah, I know... way short on all three.)

I have found I grow best with some volume... for example, strength budged a little with the 5x5 with no apparent growth. I've done best (for me) with 8x8 or (especially) 5x10 work.

Current program:

General Cardio:
    Walking, 2 mile per session, fasted, 3-4 times a week.

Sprints: 4-5 a little over 100m, in a 10 min session, 2 times a week (mainly for the HGH effects).

Lifting:
    M-W-F. Rotation and selection of exercises based on DC stickies, volume (5x10 min) hidden in warm ups, heavy set w/ RP ranges (straight sets where called for by Dante), followed by extreme stretching.

Complete logging of weights and reps with a make the logbook my bitch goal.

I'm ready to get to work and make those goals finally. Tired of fucking around.

Journal exists to keep my ass in line and on target.
    I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

Muscles don't know how old they are.

Treat them like they are old and eat soup... and they will be.

Train 'em hard and feed them like a stud... and they will be.

So will you.

Journal

Thank you for your service and best of luck in your endeavors. Get it brother!

Comment

First off, welcome, and thank you for your service. It's unfortunate that you sustained your injuries, but I know I speak for all when I say we appreciate your service....

Good for you getting back into the iron game. I'm 41 years old and doing my first show next Saturday. It's NEVER too late to take your life back and achieve what you want in life. Just keep a positive attitude, and you will get there...

Good Luck brotha!!
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Thanks guys. It means a lot to me to have guys pay attention to my journal (please give me the titles of yours so I can return the favor... I hate guys who expect others to watch their progress but won't keep track in return... if we don't root for each other, what have we got?)

I appreciate the 'thanks for service' comments, but I'd ask posters to cut to the chase. It was my honor to do my years for the land I love. 'nuff said.

I do have a rather impressive rack of injuries (no big deal in my mind, I've been grinding through them forever), but I won't bother running down them... this being the web, a guy can say any BS they like and rattling off that list with the how they happened would just make people think I'm full of crap).

Suffice it to say I have some milage on my frame... and don't fucking regret anything.

steel, Great on your first show... go kick ass... how long have you been preparing for it? I had dreams of trying to get a show to celebrate my 50th... but my progress sucked too badly. Now, with the last of my kids leaving for college, I can get serious.

Now to get the wife to take some pics.
        I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Welcome to IM and thanks for your service. Good luck with your goals!
          "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Welcom to IM. Looking forward to checking out your journal. Always interested in what another tall old guy is doing.

Comment

Thanks fellas... quick forum question.

Is there are easy way to "check subscriptions" here? I subscribed to a number of your journals and while I don't need e-mail notifications, I'd like to be able to check in for new posts in subscribed threads easily.

It's probably right in front of my dumb ass, but other forums I'm on (for work) have a "check subscriptions" button and it runs you directly through the new posts in threads you've subscribed to.

Thanks!

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Dean3238 View Post
                Thanks fellas... quick forum question.

Is there are easy way to "check subscriptions" here? I subscribed to a number of your journals and while I don't need e-mail notifications, I'd like to be able to check in for new posts in subscribed threads easily.

It's probably right in front of my dumb ass, but other forums I'm on (for work) have a "check subscriptions" button and it runs you directly through the new posts in threads you've subscribed to.

Thanks!
                Hit "User CP" button on the top left. It will show you updates to subscribed threads that you haven't read yet; it will also then give you the option of viewing all subscribed threads.
                2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Cool. I'll get the hang of it! Thanks for the fast response.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

OK here goes... taken this morning after getting my Monday (B1) workout in... work schedule won't allow time Monday, so I'm getting it in now.

As for the back scratches, you can blame my wife.... actually, no, you can't, I fell into a fucking bush chainsawing some dead branches yesterday.
                    Attached Files

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

More...
                      Attached Files

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Last set...
                        Attached Files

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

As you can see... I have a long way to go and I carry most of my blubber on my back.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Good move starting a journal...I started mine a few years ago for accountability. Definitely works. Not to mention the feedback, tips, and help I have received over the years from many of the guys here. Cant put a price on that.

Good luck with your goals...You obviously have some drive in you...running three marathons takes incredible discipline (that is not on my bucket list). You have to start somewhere, so dont worry about your lifts now. Just keep making improvements.

-slide
                            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Keep plugging away and progress will be made.

Have you read Dante's post about training when you are 34 or older? It really helped me put some things in perspective and with my routine. Good read.

Comment

Working...
                              X