moco's training journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moco's training journal

Thought I'd start a new journal where I can post up random thoughts, training sessions, etc.

Still following 5/3/1 and possibly setting my sights on another meet in October - my main goal is to make progress on my squat and bench, so we'll see how that continues to go before I finally decide on whether I'll be competing or not.

Here are a couple of recent training sessions:

SOHP - 3's Week
    SOHP
    135x3
    150x3
    170x8

Push Press
    225x3
    235x1
    245x1 -- probably still had another 5-10 lbs in me as well but called it after this one
    NOTE: I've found that including push presses as accessory work after SOHP (as well as board presses on bench day) have been really helping with my max SOHP

DB Lateral Raise
    35x20
    30x20

Rear Delt Flyes
    140x20
    160x17

Neutral (Close) Grip Machine Chest Press
    260x10
    300x7

Rope Pressdown
    80x20,8,5 RP

-------------------------------

Box Squats - 5/3/1 Week
    Parallel Box Squat
    355x5
    405x3
    455x4
    I haven't been using wraps since my meet - and the week before meet I hit 450x3 on regular squats w/ wraps, so I think I've made some good progress here

ATG Hack Squats
    4ppsx8
    5ppsx3

Seated Leg Curls
    275x12x2

EZ Bar Bicep Curls (one and halfs)
    70x10

DB Hammer Preacher Curl
    25x10
    Last edited by moco; 07-02-2012, 11:55 PM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Subbed for sure.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Went to Vinyasa Yoga with Rco tonight - that shit's no joke, especially after a heavy leg workout the night before. I did enjoy it but my quads were on fire and the pace was fairly quick.

I went ahead and purchased a one month membership but will probably attend more of the Yin yoga classes to help with opening up my hips and stretching my quads/hamstrings to help with my squats and deadlifts.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

How did you place at your comp? Your numbers are pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
          How did you place at your comp? Your numbers are pretty damn good.
          ...I'm not sure really, they never posted the final results.

I think I was first in my class, but I think there were only 3 others in the 220 Raw class.

Not really concerned with how I placed anyway - I put up huge PRs, WAY more than I thought I was going to and that felt great. Now I just need to keep progressing and put up bigger numbers next time.

Comment

Took the day off from work tomorrow and we'll be leaving around noon to go camping here for the weekend:
            Attached Files

Comment

Felt like going heavy on deads today. Also, since we're going camping this weekend we won't be hitting shoulders tomorrow, and because next week is a deload week, I threw SOHP and laterals in as well.

Conventional Deadlifts
              Warm-ups, then:
              485x5
              545x3
              610x1 (which is actually a gym PR, the most I pulled in the gym leading up to the meet was 605)

Rotator cuff work

SOHP
              140x5
              160x3
              185x4

Kroc Rows
              120x22

Seated DB Laterals
              30x20x2

CG Pulldowns
              230x5
              240x4

Hell of a workout - now looking forward to a relaxing weekend on the lake.

Comment

Awesome deads. Nice job on the gym pr!

Place looks like my kinda paradise. Where is it? Have fun!
                2005 HOA Natural Classic
                2006 OCB Midwest
                2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                2008 HOA Natural Classic
                NPC Mid-Illinois
                NPC Midwest Open
                NPC Natural Grand Prix
                2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                USPA Illinois State
                NGA Heart of America
                NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                  Awesome deads. Nice job on the gym pr!

Place looks like my kinda paradise. Where is it? Have fun!
                  Thanks a lot!

It's Lake Wenatchee; we just got back and had a great time. Here are a few photos I took:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm not very good at deload weeks.

Comment

Yin Yoga tonight - definitely some good stretches for my hips that should help open them up. Although I think I'd like a little more intensity. Might switch it up between Vinyasa and Yin every other week and just go through some of the Yin poses/stretches at home on a consistent basis.

"Deload" Leg Workout yesterday was nice:

Hack Squats
                      1pps x 20
                      2pps x 20
                      3pps x 20

Leg Extensions
                      Stack x 12 x 2

Seated Leg Curls
                      282.5 x 10 x 2

Finished up with some biceps and stretches

I did keep intensity somewhat high but focused more on a pump and was definitely less taxing

Comment

Similar approach as my squat deload:

Bench Press
                        Bar x 25
                        135 x 20
                        205 x 20

Machine Flyes
                        Stack x 12 x 2

Dips
                        BW x 25 x 2

Close/Neutral Grip Machine Chest Press
                        300x4
                        240x8

20 minutes on the elliptical

Comment

Felt like doing some cleans tonight - haven't done them in a very long time, and not consistently since I first started training for hockey in high school. I'm going to try and work them in every so often.

Warmed up with Dimel deads with the bar x 25

Cleans
                          135 x 3
                          225 x 2
                          275 x 0, 0 - Really thought I had this - I think it may be more of a technical issue as I got the bar up high enough just couldn't get under and drive my elbows through
                          245 x 1 + Press

Machine Back Extensions
                          Stack+10(305) x 35
                          Stack+10(305) x 25

DB Rows
                          140 x 12

Pulldowns
                          220 x 10
                          110 x 10 (3sec pause at peak contraction)

Standing DB Curls
                          50 x 7

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls (Both arms on concentric, alternating one arm on eccentric)
                          75 x 10
                          50 x 16 + 10 top end partials

Comment

Current weekly schedule:

Monday: Box Squats (5/3/1) + Accessory Work (Legs & Biceps)
                            Tuesday: Yoga
                            Wednesday: Flat BB Bench Press (5/3/1) + Accessory Work (Chest & Triceps) + 20min cardio
                            Thursday: Rest
                            Friday: Deadlifts (5/3/1) + Accessory Work (Back & Biceps)
                            Saturday: SOHP (5/3/1) + Accessory Work (Shoulders & Triceps) + 20min cardio
                            Sunday: Flag Football (1 hour)

Accessory work is instinctual with regard to both exercise selection and number of sets/reps performed.
                            I may decide to focus on the same exercise for several weeks in a row to judge progression, but this is not always the case.
                            Last edited by moco; 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Box Squats
                              Bar x 12
                              135 x 5
                              225 x 5

315 x 5
                              365 x 5
                              415 x 7

Hack Squats
                              3pps x 20
                              *I think I'm going to start incorporating widowmakers as my accessory work on squat day in somewhat of a "powerbuilding" fashion

Seated Leg Curls
                              282.5 x 12 x 2
                              If I had any more additional weights to the stop of the stack I'm not able to do a full rep due to the stack hitting the top of the machine - I'll just have to keep going for higher reps or switch to single leg

Machine Preacher Curls
                              125 x 17,6,3 RP

Stretches

Comment

Working...
                              X